PDA

View Full Version : are there ranged maneuvers?

Kol Korran
2012-01-13, 11:14 AM
as they title says. are there ANY ranged maneuvers anywhere? my searches find nothing useful.

Search word: piratewitch

Big Fau
2012-01-13, 12:52 PM
Several of the maneuvers in the book can be used with ranged attacks (Time Stands Still, the Tiger Claw boosts that grant extra attacks, a few others).

Feralventas
2012-01-13, 02:09 PM
There aren't any official ranged maneuvers for the ToB classes. I know that there is a home-brew supernatural ranged school of maneuvers, something about shooting stars or some such, but ranged weapons aren't very ToB compatable without either adjusting some homebrew, weird RAW, etc. There IS a PrC in the ToB that allows the use of maneuvers via thrown weapons called the Bloodstorm Blade, but that's all that comes to mind with official sources.

If you want to set yourself up to use maneuvers at range, I would suggest talking with your DM about perhaps getting a slower progression (Say, bard equivilant in maneuvers known rather than the wizard equivalent that Swordsages operate off of) applied to your class of choice so as to make a give-and-take for the increased utility available.

For example, a 7th level Warblade with that set-up would have
-access to 3rd level maneuvers.
-same number of maneuvers and stances known as a normal 7th lvl WB
-same skill set and points per level
-same class abilities
-ability to use maneuvers via ranged combat, perhaps at a range =10ft per initiator level in order to add some measure of scale and limit or discourage multi-class options that would make it absurdly potent.

Though it should be noted that some of the Swordsage's maneuvers operate at range, mainly Shadow Hand and Desert Wind maneuvers.

Metahuman1
2012-01-13, 02:27 PM
There aren't any official ranged maneuvers for the ToB classes. I know that there is a home-brew supernatural ranged school of maneuvers, something about shooting stars or some such, but ranged weapons aren't very ToB compatable without either adjusting some homebrew, weird RAW, etc. There IS a PrC in the ToB that allows the use of maneuvers via thrown weapons called the Bloodstorm Blade, but that's all that comes to mind with official sources.

If you want to set yourself up to use maneuvers at range, I would suggest talking with your DM about perhaps getting a slower progression (Say, bard equivilant in maneuvers known rather than the wizard equivalent that Swordsages operate off of) applied to your class of choice so as to make a give-and-take for the increased utility available.

For example, a 7th level Warblade with that set-up would have
-access to 3rd level maneuvers.
-same number of maneuvers and stances known as a normal 7th lvl WB
-same skill set and points per level
-same class abilities
-ability to use maneuvers via ranged combat, perhaps at a range =10ft per initiator level in order to add some measure of scale and limit or discourage multi-class options that would make it absurdly potent.

Though it should be noted that some of the Swordsage's maneuvers operate at range, mainly Shadow Hand and Desert Wind maneuvers.

Problem: This makes it almost if not outright impossible to get access to the two best ranged attack Maneuvers in the game. Time Stands Still and Raging Mongoose.

Which combined with a good bow and General Archery build and perhaps a way of getting the benefits of Haste is Amazing enough to actually justify waiting till 8th and 9th level maneuvers come online.

I'd personally suggest going Warblade 19/bard 1, Get the stated out bow form the D&D animated series, and take a few standard Archery Feats along with Power attack and then just Optimize Inspire Courage.

Tvtyrant
2012-01-13, 03:02 PM
If I was going to make one, I would probably just do something like:

Strikes:
Con wounding shots:
-2 con
-4 con
Slowing Shot-slow effect on target
Bleeding shot-stacking damage over time (-1d6, -3d6,-5d6,-7d6)
Copy of Shot on the Run feat
Same as above, but fire two arrows
same as above, but fire four arrows
Ranged Disarm
Ranged Pin
Ranged Sunder
Ranged Trip
Penetrating Shot-Like the PHBII feat, fire an arrow through a line of people.
Giant's Shot-same as Penetrating Shot, but the arrow is treated as being several size categories larger.
SoD arrows-Preferably one for Fort and one for Reflex (Fort early, Reflex late)
Nauseating Shot-Nauseates enemy on a successful hit
Swarm of Arrows-Fire an arrow at everything in 30 ft.
Volley: Fire a number of arrows equal to your dex modifier.
Stances:
Touch Attacks-all shots are made as ranged touch attacks
Dex to damage-you get dexterity to damage on all shots
Ranged AoO-you can make Attacks of Opportunity with a ranged weapon at anyone within 30 ft.
Boosts:
Deadeye Shot: The critical multiplier for any specifi c type of
thrown weapon increases by one (for example, a hand axe has
a critical multiplier of ×4 instead of ×3) when this ability is
used. The benefi t of this ability does not stack with any other
effect that increases critical multipliers.
Boost precision damage:
2d6 per shot extra
4d6 per shot extra
-6d6 per shot extra
Sharp Shooting

A lot of that is blatantly lifted from other sources (feats mostly), but since you find things like Whirlwind Strike hidden in manuevers anyways it makes sense to me. Much less magical than the Falling Star (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10707) discipline.

That is not a critique of the usefulness of the Falling Star Discipline. It is extremely well made, I just prefer a less supernatural approach.

And just in case this post wasn't long enough, why not for the class (assuming you are not just granting the ranged maneuvers to the already extant classes) make it a Ranger based one in the same way as the Crusader is Paladin based? Crusader mechanics for maneuvers and recovery, and then get Favored Enemy at 6th and 19th, evasion at 13th, and HiPS relatively early (3rd?). Call it the great hinter, give it three disciplines, and your golden.

Darrin
2012-01-13, 10:06 PM
as they title says. are there ANY ranged maneuvers anywhere? my searches find nothing useful.

My notes on ranged Warblades. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10296220&postcount=420)

(I've tweaked it a bit for Crusaders (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12450184&postcount=3) and Swordsages (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11918094&postcount=16), but most of it is just cut&pasted from the Warblade stuff.)

playswithfire
2012-01-13, 10:40 PM
For a more complete list of ToB archery homebrew, I direct you here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143785). As others have said, there are no official maneuvers that are explicitly archery related, though some can be applied to ranged attacks.

0nimaru
2012-01-13, 10:41 PM
Recommending more homebrew, but I'm currently in a campaign using the Tome of Tactics (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183826).

My archer is using Soldier/Mercenary and has primarily Iron Rain/Life's Blood maneuvers.

Talionis
2012-01-13, 11:47 PM
Shadow Hand and Desert Wind both have maneuvers that can be used at range. The Shadow Garrote line and too many Dersert Wind to mention.

Almost all of the boosts will help an archer or thrower.

Many stances can add a little extra as well...

Kol Korran
2012-01-14, 08:47 AM
thanks all! especially Darrin, playswithfire and 0nimaru. it will take me some while to go through it all, but i'm definetely intrigued.

thanks!