PDA

View Full Version : Electric fence built from a trap

hydraa
2012-01-13, 03:24 PM
Could I do this: I want to make a electric fence using trap rules
Idea: Make a auto reseting shocking grasp trap with a touch trigger on it. The trigger is the 200 ft or so of copper wire. I might wind this on another rope for strength. It would need a hidden switch

I might even say the damage is 1 instead of 1d6. I am not trying to kill the party with this one. lv 1 spell lv 1 caster

What CR would this make the Trap?

What would be the value of the materials of the trap (because I bet the trap and wires will be dissambled and looted).

Demonic_Spoon
2012-01-13, 03:44 PM
Is it just me or did anyone else who read the title immediately think a energy substituted(Electricity) permanced wall of fire?

0nimaru
2012-01-13, 03:48 PM
If I'm understanding your question and thinking of the geometry of this correct, in order to cover a 200ft perimeter you will need 200/5 = 40 squares worth of traps.

A square of trap is worth 500gp (500*1st lv. spell*1 CL)

40*500 = 20,000 g modified by whatever merchant reduction you want to apply.

If you're willing to ad-hoc a bit, you could have a few shocking grasp spell sigils connected to some copper wires that run around the perimeter of your bull-pen. This utilizes conductivity which isn't explored in the D&D rules, but shouldn't be hard to accept and is even utilized by a few electrical spells out there.

Edit: CR

Multiple Independent Traps

If two or more traps act independently (that is, none depends on the success of another to activate), use their CRs to determine their combined Encounter Level as though they were monsters. The resulting Encounter Level is the CR for the combined traps.

CR 1 *40 = CR 10-11
This is using the basic multiplication formula for CR, which truly doesn't represent numbers these high. If you use the 1-4 trap configuration I mention with the copper wires, it'd be rated ~CR 2

hydraa
2012-01-13, 04:19 PM
I was thinking more of extending the 'touch' range of the trap, as I did not really want a separate 'trap' in each square. Will look at the sigils and see how that works as well