PDA

View Full Version : Building a ST PC {Changeling: The Lost}

Tokuhara
2012-01-13, 06:59 PM
Ok. In a party of 3 people, they need some help. I have failed at recruiting players, so I'm going to make a player character to join them in their quest. The concept is going to be for:

Axl Low: Upstart Rockstar

He was captured after a local concert, he was forced to play classic rock music nonstop. If he failed a single note, he was tortured. He escaped after playing Jailbreak by AC/DC, reaching the human world and returning to his "job."

He is probably a Dual Kith'd Muse/Nightsinger of the South Court who can both play a Guitar & Sing, and in a fight swings his guitar. He will look like an Axl Rose fanboy.

Rules:

Must Have Dual-Kith (Given for Free)
Must be a true rockstar
Must be able to use the Guitar as a viable weapon and sing
Must have a "Band" of supernaturals, since he can't sing, play 2 guitars, a drum, and a piano all at the same time

any help would be appreciated

The Glyphstone
2012-01-14, 12:55 PM
Must have a "Band" of supernaturals, since he can't sing, play 2 guitars, a drum, and a piano all at the same time

Is his 'band' the party, or does he cart around an entire party of his own?

Tokuhara
2012-01-14, 01:52 PM
Is his 'band' the party, or does he cart around an entire party of his own?

He has 3 people who follow him around, Kinda like Leadership in D&D.

I also have 35xp to spend

The Glyphstone
2012-01-14, 02:46 PM
So you're bringing an entire 4-person party, who outnumbers your existing actual PCs, as NPCs? You really might want to rethink this plan, or at least the part of the concept that requires the companions.

Tokuhara
2012-01-14, 04:18 PM
So you're bringing an entire 4-person party, who outnumbers your existing actual PCs, as NPCs? You really might want to rethink this plan, or at least the part of the concept that requires the companions.

The NPCs are contacts for the motley. If they need guns, they can get them for cheaper from the Drummer. The Bass Guitarist is the medic, and the keyboardist is the safehouse owner. The party has a shared hollow, but if things get hairy, they can talk to the band

Reluctance
2012-01-14, 07:12 PM
Do not play a PC. PCs are the focal point of the story, its movers and shakers. Giving your own character that level of plot-centricism is literally playing with yourself. And as much fun for other people to watch.

If you feel that the party really needs another person, play a tagalong NPC. When you remember that the purpose of a tagalong NPC is to fill necessary roles without stealing the spotlight from the real protagonists, how much effort to put into this character will become crystal clear.

BTW. I only have up to Mage, but so far I've seen ghouls, kinfolk, and sleepwalkers. Is there some form of mortal that plays nicely with changelings? Make your tagalong NPC that to further cement in your own mind the line between protagonists and sidekicks.

Tokuhara
2012-01-14, 09:56 PM
Do not play a PC. PCs are the focal point of the story, its movers and shakers. Giving your own character that level of plot-centricism is literally playing with yourself. And as much fun for other people to watch.

If you feel that the party really needs another person, play a tagalong NPC. When you remember that the purpose of a tagalong NPC is to fill necessary roles without stealing the spotlight from the real protagonists, how much effort to put into this character will become crystal clear.

BTW. I only have up to Mage, but so far I've seen ghouls, kinfolk, and sleepwalkers. Is there some form of mortal that plays nicely with changelings? Make your tagalong NPC that to further cement in your own mind the line between protagonists and sidekicks.

Wolfblooded, Ghouls, Immortals, and Mages could be "Mortal" tagalongs

The Glyphstone
2012-01-15, 12:11 PM
Any mortal who's been Ensorcelled by investing glamour into a contract is the Sleepwalker version of a Changeling. No other 'lesser supernaturals' qualify, though.

elpollo
2012-01-16, 05:32 AM
Why does the guitarist have to follow them around at all? Why not make the whole band a resource the players can contact if they want to? I've not had a chance to play Changeling yet, but none of the other splats I've played have suffered by only having three PCs. Do they really need this PC, or do you just want to play? Can you really imagine Axl Rose being one of those NPCs who sits quietly in the corner whilst the PCs have fun?

Tokuhara
2012-01-17, 10:08 AM
Why does the guitarist have to follow them around at all? Why not make the whole band a resource the players can contact if they want to? I've not had a chance to play Changeling yet, but none of the other splats I've played have suffered by only having three PCs. Do they really need this PC, or do you just want to play? Can you really imagine Axl Rose being one of those NPCs who sits quietly in the corner whilst the PCs have fun?

It's a combination of both.