PDA

View Full Version : Dark Sun: The little things that matter

Ravian
2012-01-13, 07:01 PM
I've been a huge fan of Dark Sun after it came out for 4th edition, mostly because it takes everything you always exspect in a fantasy game and crushes it into tiny pieces to be covered by the dunes. However I feel that what really makes a Dark Sun game great is not the big obvious things like canabalistic halflings (though I would be lying if I said those aren't fun:smallbiggrin:) but the little details that really cement it for your players to realize no they aren't in Faerun anymore.

So I decided to make this thread so people could share how they accomplish that, and maybe learn a few tips. Not sure how big the Dark Sun crowd is around here but it will be interesting to see the turnout.

My main points:
Authority is not easily defied: I feel that many of my players tend to take a naturally rebellious attitude towards authority, not easily intimidated by huge threatening guards or the threat of slavery. My solution, make sure they realize they are small fishes in an ocean of sharks. Early on, with the second or third time they try to defy a Sorceror King's guards, when they're feeling pretty cocky, put them up against a pargon tier foe, like a powerful templar, acts as a great lead in for a stint in the arenas and reminds them that they still have to tread cautiously

Do not Hold back: Keep your encounters tougher then normal, often times I suspect that the monsters seem far too easy, with players rarely approaching dying. Dark Sun specific monsters are much better, but my genral rule, add another level to the encounter budget than normal, don't worry too much. This is Athas they need to deal with it.

Corvus
2012-01-26, 07:32 AM
The group I run have hit 5th level.

So far in that time they have been slaves (twice), lost their few items and what little money they had to a gnoll (who beat them up then sent them packing out into the desert naked) and are now being hunted by a number of factions after trying to double cross them, which include a powerful half-elf psionicist (who was the first one to enslave them), the Eldarin (for having dealings with a defiler, even though they didn't realise it) and said defiler (who may or may not be the dead Kalak in lich form.)

Needless to say that there have been a few deaths along the way...

Talyn
2012-01-26, 09:08 PM
Breakable weapons are fun, and mechanically represented by the critical rules.

To really make them Dark Sun, though, be sure to let the players scavenge for their weapons. If they kill a big critter, turn that jawbone into a +2 hand axe (or +1 handaxe of bleeding, or something). Remember, non-steel magical items can still break, which also adds an additional layer of risk.