PDA

View Full Version : Darker than Black RPG

Noedig
2012-01-13, 10:26 PM
So one of my group members got me hooked on this little anime gem, and now we want to run a game based off of it.

We'd rather not invent an entirely new system, so I come here asking anyone familiar with the show if there is a setting that would be appropriate. My initial thought was an edition of Shadowrun, but I'm not sure.

Tiki Snakes
2012-01-13, 11:07 PM
I'm thinking it might be worth looking at some of the superhero rpg systems, actually. The gifts can be wildly powerful or completely pointless and everything in between, after all, so a system with that kind of flexibility built in might be very helpful.

Noedig
2012-01-13, 11:13 PM
So like mutants and masterminds?

Need_A_Life
2012-01-14, 02:40 AM
The Necessary Evil setting for Savage Worlds would be my suggestion, actually.
While the GM will need to house-rule obeisance (Major hindrance; fluff action), it has the right street-level superhero level, plays fast and gives you room for a lot of customization while keeping game-breaker level powers (mostly) out of the picture. No time-stops or time travel, but Hei's blasting, fast movement and uncanny dodging would all be available.

If you're doing like the series and having non-Contractor PCs (I like to think whatsherface, the police woman with a crush on Hei, is a PC), I'd suggest giving them plain more XP, because they'll be a lot weaker than Contractors.

Stuff to watch out for.

It's a lot easier to deal lots of damage than you might think. Keep an eye on someone to puts all their points into a damaging power. They will destroy most anything they manage to hit (although that's not exactly unusual in the series).
Trying to build an invulnerable character practically cannot be done, due to the exploding dice technique. If people go this route, they need to realize that they're only getting 2 Toughness or 3 armour for every d6 of damage someone investing the same points into damage will get. Of course, Heavy Armour will be more useful against non-contractor enemies, so they can use a few points to get Immunity to Mook.
Super-Sorcery or Gadgeteer(something like that, at least) may be too versatile to fit with the "rules" of being a Contractor, though Super-Sorcery has a built-in Obeisance (don't push your luck OR F-ING BLOW UP!)

Milo v3
2012-01-14, 07:52 AM
I'd use The Window (http://www.mimgames.com/window/rules/).
It works perfectly when I played it as it is so versatile.

tensai_oni
2012-01-14, 08:23 AM
Mutants and Masterminds, Power Level at about 6. Will fit like a glove.

Krazzman
2012-01-14, 08:28 AM
I'd suggest Marvel with lots of DM intervening.

Noedig
2012-01-14, 02:46 PM
At all of these, Mutants and Masterminds is the only one I'm familiar with. Has anyone ever run this system with Darker than Black?

Aidan305
2012-01-14, 05:25 PM
Fate, possibly the Dresden Files, is a good one as well, possibly better than MMO because you can force contractors to keep their contract by compelling their aspects.

tensai_oni
2012-01-14, 05:56 PM
In Mutants and Masterminds, I would give powers limited uses and make renumeration their "reload" condition. Possibly make renumeration a flaw, the bigger (so more PPs for the character) the more awful or difficult it is.

Noedig
2012-01-14, 11:23 PM
Hmm. I confess that I'm now more interested in playing this than DMing it. Oops.

DoctorGlock
2012-01-15, 07:40 AM
I'll add a vote for mutants and masterminds, PL 6 or lower, DM at my school used the system for exactly this.