PDA

View Full Version : 4.0 and SW Saga edition compatibility

Cravix
2012-01-13, 10:51 PM
I have heard 4.0 and Star Wars Saga Edition use similar rules. What would i need to do say if i wanted to pull a few monsters or templates from 4.0 to make use in Saga edition.

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-01-14, 12:48 AM
They're similar in the sense that SWSE is a "transitional" game, of sorts, where many mechanics that would make it into 4e were tested in some form; it's kind of like a 3.75 more than anything else.

Unfortunately, this means that 4e material is not compatible with SWSE at all. Different level paradigms (except for the 1/2 level thing), different HP scales, different PC abilities, different combat basics (starting from bloodied vs. condition track and going from there), different NPC rules, and more. You'd have to take the general concept and write it for SWSE from scratch.

Ozreth
2012-01-14, 02:32 AM
Much more similar and compatible with 3.5.

The Architect
2012-01-14, 07:32 AM
They use similiar rules in that they have grid based damage, are d20 systems, have similiar rules for skills and some conditions but when it comes to stats they're very dissimilar. You could probably get some nice ideas for mechanics from 4e monsters, such as their movement powers, bonuses at half health etc but you couldn't really utilise a monster from one in the other mechanically. You'd have to start from scratch.

KillianHawkeye
2012-01-14, 01:45 PM
They are not compatible at all. SW SAGA was the testing ground for static defenses and a skill system that didn't use skill points, but neither of those were implemented the exact same way in D&D4.

Mando Knight
2012-01-14, 06:24 PM
Much more similar and compatible with 3.5.

It's not directly compatible with 3.5, either. You'll need to double-check attack and defense bonuses, switch saves to defenses, conflate Ref and AC, and swap out ability damage and other status effects for the condition track.