PDA

View Full Version : Stand and Deliver! [3.5] Fighter buff

Deepbluediver
2012-01-14, 02:30 PM
This is part of an ongoing project of mine to rebalance the 11 core classes so they are closer together in power and versatility. I don't imagine that I can bring everything right down to the same level, but if I can get everything to be around tiers 2.5-3.5 I figure I'll be doing pretty good.
While I'm sticking with the core classes for now, I'm assuming you have access to supplementary material.

The largest part of this project will be reworking the basic system of magic, including rewriting a fair number of spells. I've got monday off, so hopefully I can get more work done at that this weekend. I'm also going to edit a bunch of feats to make them less crap more balanced. I'll post feat changes with classes that make particular use of them, and probably combine them at some point into one large post as well.
For this particuar fix, I'm cribbing heavily taking inspiration from Pathfinder, because I feel they did a good job, and just didn't go far enough. Many people have redone fighters with lots of class abilities and specific paths to follow and originally I was going to do that as well, but I eventually decided that I prefered the feel of the fighter as a fully-customizable chasis. I think most of that can be accomplished through feats anyhow, and this leaves the fighter feeling more flexible. I've also made some basic rules-level changes after conversations with other forum posters.
Update: I'm reworking the various weapon styles (TWF, THF, SnB, etc) to each have a different purpose. Most martial classes will have bonus feats that allow them to follow one path of their choice (with limits) but the fighter has enough feats to learn several at once. I think this will work out well; I'll post links to the various styles down below and I get around to creating them.

Warrior (as in "some one trained in the practice of war", which is what the class should have been named once we moved past 1st ed.)
Alignment
Any

Hit Points Per Level
5+1d5

Class Skills
The fighter’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(4 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
4 + Int modifier.

The Fighter
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Fighter Bonus Feat, Adaptability

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|FBF, Battlecry (2/day)

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|FBF, Armor Training

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|FBF, Physical Prowess

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|FBF, Weapon Training, Battlecry (3/day)

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|FBF, Physical Prowess

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2|FBF, Armor Training

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|FBF, Battlecry (4/day)

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+3|FBF, Weapon Training

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|FBF, Physical Prowess

11th|
+11/+6/+6|
+7|
+3|
+3|FBF, Armor Training, Battlecry (5/day)

12th|
+12/+7/+7|
+8|
+4|
+4|FBF, Physical Prowess

13th|
+13/+8/+8|
+8|
+4|
+4|FBF, Weapon Training

14th|
+14/+9/+9|
+9|
+4|
+4|FBF, Battlecry (6/day)

15th|
+15/+10/+10|
+9|
+5|
+5|FBF, Armor Training

16th|
+16/+11/+11/+11|
+10|
+5|
+5|FBF, Physical Prowess

17th|
+17/+12/+12/+12|
+10|
+5|
+5|FBF, Weaon Training, Battlecry (8/day)

18th|
+18/+13/+13/+13|
+11|
+6|
+6|FBF, Physical Prowess

19th|
+19/+14/+14/+14|
+11|
+6|
+6|FBF, Armor Mastery

20th|
+20/+15/+15/+15|
+12|
+6|
+6|FBF, Weapon Mastery, Battlecry (10/day)[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the fighter.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A fighter is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with light and medium armor, and shields (excluding tower shields).

Fighter Bonus Feats (FBF)
At every level a fighter gets a bonus combat-oriented feat. This is in addition to the feats they get from character creation, advancement, or because of their race. These bonus feats must be drawn from the feats noted as fighter bonus feats. A fighter must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.

Starting at 4th level, whenever the fighter gains another Fighter Bonus Feat, he can also exchange one feat he already knows for a different feat. The fighter may not exchange any feat that is being used as a prerequisite by any feat he still knows, and he must meet any prerequisites for the new feat.

These bonus feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any class gets from advancing levels.
If you start to run out of good feats from the Player's Hand Book, get a hold of a Player's Handbook II; it's got at least 2 dozen more options.
If/when I get around to redoing feats, I plan on exploring other options for the feats with Int/Wis requirements. It seems kind of unfair that melee-combat oriented feats require mental stats, while no caster-feat has any requirement for physical ones.
Adaptability
Fighters are a varied and adaptable lot, with an unusual and sometimes unexpected set of skills.
Pick any one skill (Knowledge and Perform skill selected individually) and add that skill to your list of class skills. You immediately gain ranks in it equal to your ECL+2. Afterwards, you must spend skill points to continue to improve this ability, as normal.

You may add an additional skill and immediately gain ranks in it at Fighter level 5, 10, 15, and 20.

Battlecry (Su)
Beggining at 2nd level, a fighter learns to derive courage and skill in battle from his own spirit as well as inspire it in others. Alternatively, some fighers prefer to destroy their opponent's moral before attacking head on.
A fighter learns one battlecry from the following list, and may use it twice a day (maximum once per round) as a swift action during his turn. He may learn an additional Battlecry every third level after that (5th, 8th, 11th, 14, 17th, and 20th). You must have positive hit points to use a Battlecry.

The range of a battlecry is 20ft, plus 5ft for every HD you have. Other targets must be able to hear your Battlecry, although you may affect yourself while deafened or in a Zone of silence (or other similar effect). You may affect up to 1 creature per level of Fighter (this includes yourself); creatures can only be under the effect of one Battlecry at a time. If a second Cry is used, the target decides which they will be affected by.

Battlecry List
Taunting Gibe- You target one opponent within range, and force them to make a Will save (DC 10+your Str modifier). If they fail, they must attack you to the best of their ability on their next turn. If they cannot attack you, they instead do nothing.

Intimidating Shout- Every hostile target must make a Will Save (DC 10+your Str modifer) or be Shaken for 2 rounds. If they fail by 5 or more they are instead Frightened for 2 rounds. If they fail by 10 or more they are instead Panicked for 2 rounds. Creatures with a CR of 5 or more greater than your ECL are immune to this effect.

Stunning Shout- Every Hostile target in range must make a Fortitude Save (DC 10+your Str modifer) or be Dazed for 2 rounds. If they fail by 5 or more they are instead Stunned for 1 round, then Dazed for 1 round.

Inspiring Shout- Every friendly target in range recieves a bonus to attack and spellcraft rolls equal to 1/2 your Str modifier. If you choose, the bonus may instead be 1/2 your Dex modifier. This effect lasts for 1 round, plus 1 additional round for every 4 levels of fighter you have.

Howl of Slaughter- Every friendly target in range recieves a bonus to melee, ranged, and spell damage rolls equal to 1/2 your Str modifier. If you choose, the bonus may instead be 1/2 your Dex modifier. This effect lasts for 1 round, plus 1 additional round for every 4 levels of fighter you have.

Rallying Cry- Every friendly target in range recieves Temporary Hit points equal to your [the fighter's] Constituation modifer plus 1/2 the difference between their [the target's] Max HP and current HP. These Hit Points fade after 1 minute.

Steadying Shout- Every friendly target within range is cured of one of the following effects: confused, dazed, dazzled, fatigued, shaken, or sickened.
Characters who are Frightened or Panicked become Shaken.
Charaters who are Stunned become Dazed.
Characters who are Nauseated become Sickened.
You may cure 1 additional condition for every 4 fighter levels you posses past 2nd (2 at 6th, 3 at 10th, etc).

Distracting Shout- Unlike other Battlecries, you can make this as an immediate action, provided you have not already used a battlecry this round. Any one target in range that is attempting to cast a spell or make a skill check must suceed on a Concentration check (DC 10+your Str or Dex modifer, whichever is higher) or automatically fail.

Bloodcurdling Boast- Pick one target within range. The threats of what you are going to do to them are so vile, they must succeed on both a Fortitude and a Will save (DC 10+your Str or Dex modifer) or be Nauseated for 2 rounds. Creatures with a CR of 5 or more greater than your ECL are immune to this effect. You must be at least level 5 to learn this Battlcry.

Ferocious Roar- This Battlecry effects a cone shapped area with a max range equal to 1/3 of your normal battlecry range. Anyone in this area takes Xd6 sonic damage, where X is 1/2 your Strength modifier. They may make fortitude save (DC 10+your Str modifer) for half damage. Anyone who takes damage from this attack is deafened for 3 rounds. You must be at least level 5 to learn this Battlecry.

Song of the Blade- Your targets must be able to see as well as hear you to be affected by this Battlecry. You fight with such precision and skill that the ring and swish of your blade is like music, and you seem to embody the avatar of War itself; your enemies are entranced by this awesome display. Each round as long as this Battlecry is in effect any hostile targets must suceed on a Will save (DC 10+your Dex modifer) or be Dazed. You may use this Battlecry any time you are in combat, and you maintain it's effect as long as you either deal or take damage every round. Creatures with a CR of 5 or more greater than your ECL are not immune to this effect, but they get a +5 bonus to make their save. You must be at least level 5 to learn this Battlecry

Whisper of Vengeance- Sometimes the greatest power in the world is not the rage and fury of the battlefield, but in the unrelenting determination of one individual. This Battlecry consumes 3 of your daily uses instead of one. If you are not using this Battlecry on yourself, your target must be in an adjacent square. The target of this Battlecry selects one creature within range to either attack or defend. So long as that creature is alive, the target of this Battlecry ignores the effects of negative hit points of up to 5 times thier constituion score. If you pass this limit, you drop dead immediately. This effect lasts for a maximum of 1 hour, after which if you are still in negative hit points, you drop dead. If the target you have sworn to attack or protect dies, you also drop dead immediately afterwards. You must be at least level 10 to learn this battlecry.
Armor Training (Ex)
Starting at 3rd level, a fighter learns to be more maneuverable while wearing armor. Whenever he is wearing armor, he reduces the armor check penalty by 1 (to a minimum of 0) and increases the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed by his armor by 1. Every four levels thereafter (7th, 11th, and 15th), these bonuses increase by +1 each time, to a maximum –4 reduction of the armor check penalty and a +4 increase of the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed.
*I would recomend you use my armor buff (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226980)as well, because I'm nothing if not a shameless self-promoter.
Physical Prowess (Ex)
Starting at 4th level, a fighter gets a bonus to some aspect of his ability checks that makes him a better warrior. The fighter gains an additional bonus at 6th, 10th, 12, 16th, and 18th levels. The bonus must be drawn from the following list.
*Applied Force (Ex): A fighter can administer force to the weakest points of inanimate objects effectively, giving the character a +1 bonus on Strength checks to break or burst items (see page 165 of the Player's Handbook).
*Combat Bearing (Ex): A fighter can steady himself to fight in precarious situations, giving the character a +1 bonus on Dexterity checks to avoid falling when damaged while balancing or moving quickly across difficult surfaces (see Balance on page 67 of the Player's Handbook).
*Stamina Reserve (Ex): A fighter can push his body more than normal, giving the character a +1 bonus on Constitution checks to continue running (see page 144 of the Player's Handbook), to avoid nonlethal damage from a forced march (see page 164 of the Player's Handbook), and to avoid drowning while swimming.

Weapon Training (Ex)
Starting at 5th level, a fighter can select one group of weapons, as noted below. Whenever he attacks with a weapon from this group, he gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls.

Every four levels thereafter (9th, 13th, and 17th), a fighter becomes further trained in another group of weapons. He gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls when using a weapon from this group. In addition, the bonuses granted by previous weapon groups increase by +1 each. For example, when a fighter reaches 9th level, he receives a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls with one weapon group and a +2 bonus on attack and damage rolls with the weapon group selected at 5th level. Bonuses granted from overlapping groups do not stack. Take the highest bonus granted for a weapon if it resides in two or more groups.

Weapon groups are defined as follows (GMs may add other weapons to these groups, or add entirely new groups):
Axes, Blades (heavy), Blades (light), Bows, Close, Crossbows, Double, Firearms, Flails, Hammers, Monk, Natural, Polearms, Spears, Thrown, Siege Engines
Visit the pathfinder webpage for exactly what weapons are in each group; I didn't feel like copying out the name of every single weapon published in every sourcebook, ever.

Armor Mastery (Ex)
At 19th level, a fighter gains Damage Reduction 5/— whenever he is wearing armor or using a shield.
In addition, the fighter moves more quickly while wearing armor. Medium armor no longer slows his speed, and Heavy armor only slows his speed as much as Medium armor would for another class.

Weapon Mastery (Ex)
At 20th level, a fighter chooses one weapon, such as the longsword, greataxe, or longbow. Any attacks made with that weapon automatically confirm all critical threats and have their damage multiplier increased by 1 (×2 becomes ×3, for example). In addition, he cannot be disarmed while wielding a weapon of this type.

With one week of intense training (8 hours/day) a fighter can switch what weapon this bonus applies to.

There we go, I had a ton of fun writing the Battlecrys, so let me know what you think.

Deepbluediver
2012-01-14, 02:32 PM
Feats; most of these have minor changes to make them more useful.

Weapon Focus [General]
Choose one group of weapons from the following list: Axes, Heavy Blades, Light Blades, Bows, Close Weapons, Crossbows, Double Weapons, Firearms (if your game has them), Flails, Hammers, Monk Weapons, Natural Weapons, Polearms, Spears, Thrown Weapons, or Siege Engines (again, if your game has them); grapple is considered a natural weapon for the purposes of this feat.

Prerequisites: Proficiency with at least one weapon in the selected group, base attack bonus +1

Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus on all attack rolls you make using the selected weapon. This bonus increases by and additional +1 for every 5 points of BAB you have above +1 (so +2 at +6, +3 at +11, etc).

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new group of weapons.
A fighter may select Weapon Focus as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Greater Weapon Focus [General]
Choose one group of weapons for which you have already taken the Weapon Focus Feat.

Prerequisites: Proficiency with at least one weapon in the selected group, base attack bonus +8, Weapon Focus with selected group of weapons

Benefit: The bonus you would gain to your attack rolls from Weapon focus is doubled; (replacing the standard +1 bonus with +2). Your bonus now becomes +4 at BAB +6, +6 at BAB +11, etc.

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new group of weapons.
A fighter may select Greater Weapon Focus as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Weapon Specialization[General]
Choose one group of weapons for which you have already taken the Weapon Focus Feat.

Prerequisites: Proficiency with at least one weapon in the selected group, base attack bonus +4, Weapon Focus with selected group of weapons

Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus on all damage rolls you make using the selected weapon. This bonus increases by and additional +1 for every 5 points of BAB you have above +1 (so +3 at +6, +4 at +11, etc).

A fighter may select Greater Weapon Focus as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Greater Weapon Specialization[General]
Choose one group of weapons for which you have already taken the Weapon Specialization Feat.

Prerequisites: Proficiency with at least one weapon in the selected group, base attack bonus +12, Weapon Focus & Weapon Specilization with the selected group of weapons

Benefit: The bonus you would gain to your damage rolls from Weapon Specialization is doubled; (replacing the standard +1 bonus with +2). Your bonus now becomes +8 at BAB +11, +10 at BAB +16, etc.

A fighter may select Greater Weapon Specilization as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Two Weapon Fighting
Find the full chain here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12788526&postcount=2).

Toughness [General]
Benefit: You gain additional hit points for each HD you possess.
You gain 1 HP for every d4 or d6, 2 HP for every d8 or d10, and 3 HP for every d12.

Special: This feat applies the bonus to any new levels or HD as you gain them.

Dodge [General]
Prerequisite: Dex 13

Benefit: At the start of a round, you designate one or more opponents and receive a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class against attacks from those opponents until the start of the next round. The maximum number of opponents you may designate is equal to your dexterity bonus.
A condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses. Also, dodge bonuses stack with each other, unlike most other types of bonuses.

Special: A Fighter may select Dodge as one of his Fighter bonus feats.

Martial Weapon Proficiency [General]
Choose any one type of martial weapons (piercing, slashing, bludgeoning, or ranged). You understand how to use those types of martial weapons in combat.
Prerequisites: Simple Weapon proficiency

Benefit: You make attack rolls with the selected weapon normally.

Normal: When using a weapon with which you are not proficient, you take a penalty on attack and damage rolls.

Special: You may take this feat multiple times; each time you select a different type of martial weapons to become proficient with. Taking this feat 4 times will grant you proficiency with all martial weapons.
A fighter may select Martial Weapon Proficiency as one of his Fighter bonus feats.

Exotic Weapon Proficiency [General]
Choose any one exotic weapon; you understand how to use this weapon in combat.
Prerequisites: Simple Weapon proficiency, Martial Weapon proficiency of the appropriate damage type.

Benefit: You make attack rolls with the selected weapon normally.

Normal: When using a weapon with which you are not proficient, you take a penalty on attack and damage rolls.

Special: You may take this feat multiple times; each time you select a different exotic weapon.
A fighter may select Exotic Weapon Proficiency as one of his Fighter bonus feats.