PDA

View Full Version : Backstab feat info.

Laharal
2012-01-14, 08:25 PM
Is the Backstab feat from dragon magazine 340 considered legit and weel-balanced or abusive?

Any official Wizards comments on that?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-01-14, 08:31 PM
Any content from Dragon Magazine is official AFAIK as WotC were directly involved with it, having said that it is very hit and miss with how balanced and or abusable contents, it has some pretty good stuff such as Serenity; but it also has some weird stuff like the braid blades.

Either way, Dragon Mag is usually banned in many tables so ask your DM if it is allowed in yours.

Also I am interested, what does this feat do? I haven't heard about it.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-01-14, 08:44 PM
Although most of the printing was done by Paizo for the Dungeon and Dragon magazines, they are indeed official content for the game. That being said, rule 0 generally shows its head - either because the DM doesn't trust it or doesn't have easy access to it.

As to the feat in question, it's not a terribly good feat. It's very much in the same vein of Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit (PHB 2, Complete Warrior feats) in getting benefits from someone deciding to attack you (or someone else) and then making them pay for it. The the fact you have to already be flanking the enemy means Backstab is a bit troublesome to guarantee in a fight.

Seharvepernfan
2012-01-15, 11:47 AM
Melee rogues have a hard enough time, as I see it.

I love that feat and I allow it at my table/games.

Novawurmson
2012-01-15, 11:56 AM
Looks pretty legit, especially if you've got Island of Blades so getting flanking is easier.