PDA

View Full Version : Mortasheen The RPG!

tbok1992
2012-01-15, 02:13 AM
What is Mortasheen you may ask? Well, it's a post-apocalyptic battle-monsters setting that its creator has been working on for about ten years, and he's working with another guy to turn it into an RPG! The setting can be summed up as Pokemon meets Warhammer 40K meets Terry Prachett. But all you really need to know is that there is an entire class of evil clown monsters, and another class of Brundlefly-style human/arthropod hybrids!

if that intrigues you at all, then check out the bestiary and setting details here (http://bogleech.com/mortasheen.htm) and here (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DarthWiki/Mortasheen?from=Main.Mortasheen) respectively.

Also, the creator has recently been doing a guide to the evolution of D&D monsters over the years, and his opinions on them (http://bogleech.com/dnd.html). Notable points include his very interesting re-interpretation of the Morkoth and his vehement defense of the Flumph.

Doorhandle
2012-01-15, 06:25 AM
Ahhhh, Sythemantis. it's about time his works reached this fourm.

I'm wondering, how soon will it come out?

tbok1992
2012-01-15, 07:50 PM
To be honest, nobody knows. All that needs to be finished is the artwork, but Scythe said he's having trouble with it, mainly because he's kind of a perfectionist, and it takes him a while to decide on a look he likes for an image. But once the linework is done he says it'll be smooth sailing while coloring it from there.

But let's kick this topic off on a higher note. What creatures from Mortasheen would you want on your team (Monster teams in Mortasheen usually contain around ten monsters) when the game comes out?

Pokonic
2012-01-15, 08:11 PM
Vampires. Every vampire. Yes, even the starfish. Either that or all Devilbird team.

Doorhandle
2012-01-15, 10:47 PM
A Wediguin would be the immediate choice, and a Gajoob or Creplusent would be a close second. A Slashriek would be fun. I think I would also use that critter that is born without legs, and attach it to a battlemech. Possibly, one that is made of looted Wreath bits.

A Dissovore would also be a good idea: gotta get body-armour somehow.

Also another cool idea: Making my house a chariot, and hosting it to a huge critter.

Pokonic
2012-01-15, 11:39 PM
A Wediguin would be the immediate choice, and a Gajoob or Creplusent would be a close second. A Slashriek would be fun. I think I would also use that critter that is born without legs, and attach it to a battlemech. Possibly, one that is made of looted Wreath bits.

A Dissovore would also be a good idea: gotta get body-armour somehow.

Also another cool idea: Making my house a chariot, and hosting it to a huge critter.

Better yet, create a house and deck it with all the varying object ones, like the lawnmower and the furnace. Hence, the best home ever.

Crossblade
2012-01-16, 03:49 AM
I'm not overly impressed by the artwork. Looks like something an emo 16 year old would be drawing. I would say I'm rather surprised by the lack of penis themed monsters, but won't because there's enough naked woman themed ones. (ie/ headless woman with an over sized embro, or the "The Headless Smoocher" which is just a headless woman attacking people with her genitals)

The artist has talent, but no taste. It literally is a pokemon inspired attempt at shock art. To each their own, these are just my 2 coppers.

Leliel
2012-01-16, 05:50 PM
I'm not overly impressed by the artwork. Looks like something an emo 16 year old would be drawing. I would say I'm rather surprised by the lack of penis themed monsters, but won't because there's enough naked woman themed ones. (ie/ headless woman with an over sized embro, or the "The Headless Smoocher" which is just a headless woman attacking people with her genitals)

The artist has talent, but no taste. It literally is a pokemon inspired attempt at shock art. To each their own, these are just my 2 coppers.

Well, they're dark and freakish.

That's the whole point.

It's supposed to be Grimdark Pokemon, with Grimdark thematics and Pokemon mood.

It looks emo because Warhammer 40K looks emo.

Bearpunch
2012-01-16, 08:59 PM
Forgive me for asking, but just what is Mortasheen?

I followed the first link, and there wasn't much there.

From what I can gather, it is a perverted, strange pokemon, but is it a game or something?

Doorhandle
2012-01-17, 06:11 AM
About to be. Try Tvtropes, or better yet,Herin. (http://bogleech.com/mortasheen.htm)

Also, @Crossblade: You opion is not unfounded, but I think Emo isn't the right subculture to describe Bogleech; I think what's left of it has moved onto adorable whiny things rather than freakish whiny things.

@Leliel Well, it's more like Grimdark if grimdark though it was noblebright.

Edit: Also, one of these (http://www.bogleech.com/mortasheen/exovoros.htm) monstrosities would be ideal.

tbok1992
2012-01-18, 02:10 PM
Well, they're dark and freakish.

That's the whole point.

It's supposed to be Grimdark Pokemon, with Grimdark thematics and Pokemon mood.

It looks emo because Warhammer 40K looks emo.

Exactly. I would describe it as having the base concepts and tone of Pokemon, the grimdark tropes and asthetics of Warhammer 40K and the sense of humor and general weirdness (Albeit of a scientific rather than magical nature) of Discworld.

nyarlathotep
2012-01-18, 04:07 PM
So where is the information one the actual gameworld organized in some way that it is readable? To be honest the Tvtropes page hints at a lot of things that exist but provides no actual useful information and the creatures page doesn't even have that for anything but the creatures.

tbok1992
2012-01-19, 01:17 PM
That's going to be in the RPG book when it's published. For now, it kinda has the same thing going as D&D's Nentir Vale, in that information for the setting is spread out over a lot of places.

The Tygre
2012-01-20, 12:06 AM

*tsk tsk tsk* Somebody didn't explore the rest of Bogleech first. :smallwink:Yes, they're ugly and offensive, but do you know the moral of the story?

As for me personally, I've often thought about making some d20 versions of Mortasheen monsters, just to liven things up around here. Problem is, I'd have to know everything about them, and that means waiting for the full RPG. Oh well. Life is a series of compromises.

tbok1992
2012-01-23, 07:15 PM
Huh. Now that makes me wonder how exactly the Mortasheen creatures would fit into a D&D campaign setting.

Botanicals and Biozoa could work well as your typical Magical Beast/Plant creatures and Biomecha could work as organically-grown constructs of some Abberant race like Neogi. Zombie Spawn could work well as Positive Energy-based undead (Thus explaining their regeneration and variability of form), and Jokers with their focus on madness would make an excellent sub-species of Demon (Maybe one that nomadically roams the Prime Material Plane).

I think that Devilbirds would be good as Obyriths, for their incredible level of power and the deeply primal chaotic evil impulses they unlock in people. Wormbrains would definitely be Aberrants, and the Unknown would be truly terrifying Abberants.

The Abiozoa and Arthropids seem like good "AN INSANE WIZARD DID IT!" monsters, while the Garbage seem more like "AN INSANE WIZARD THREW IT AWAY!" I'm not sure where Vampires would go, though I think that they seem like very powerful magical beasts.

But enough of my rambling. Let me ask you a question: If you do like what you see, and you might want to buy the Mortasheen game, what creatures would you want on your team (There's no real limit, but the usual number is 10)?

The Tygre
2012-01-24, 07:27 PM
Ooh, ten favorite Mortasheen monsters. That's a toughie. Let's see here... I guess my line-up would be:

1. Bagayaba
2. Paraslob
3. Afterspawn
4. Zombryo
5. Wirvinia
6. Effigy
7. Formicrawl
8. Widoweed
9. Chiraptor
10. Octopire

Of course, browsing around, there are plenty more that I love. I just thought of what combination would make the best team.

nyarlathotep
2012-01-25, 01:38 PM
Here's my team

Lester
Smoldron
Ticklestitch
Mumblegog
Chainsaw Kid
Jabbersnatch
Mothneaser (knockoff obviously)
Insanititter
Vaccuthax
Genetimorph

tbok1992
2012-01-25, 02:50 PM
Here's my team:
Bombadire, with the lightness and flame powers of a Smouldron
Grounch, with the cool hat and acidic powers of a Dissolvore
Manticoil, with the corrosive gas powers of a Gasjack
Mangler, with the random psychic abilities of a Brewsome
Wrath, with the fire powers of a Thermalunk
Detrivile with the explosive and regenerating powers of a Wumphling
Bloodbloat with the slime and shell of a Luminoct
Venomax, with the strechiness and electrical powers of a Festooge
Carnibuncle, with the eyes/eye-rays of an Eyedra
Attacus with the weeping nectar of a Grimbrosia

(Oh, and FYI, it has been confirmed that you can use the parts of other monsters and attach them to your creatures)

The Tygre
2012-01-26, 06:56 PM
Now that's cool. I think I'd want some plague-masks for the Afterspawn, and maybe some extra eyes/leucochloridium for the Wirvinia.

Anyway, I was particularly intrigued for your suggestions of in-D&D-cosmology Mortasheen monsters. I hadn't even considered adapting them. I honestly was just thinking of doing them straight up, which is why I was waiting for full statistics. But now I'm thinking, with adaptation, I could try writing some at face value. I think I might have come with a new Type Category, though. Bioconstructs or something, just to account for those monsters which aren't living, dead, or construct entirely. 'Course I could just use aberrations for those, but that feels like cheating.

tbok1992
2012-02-01, 09:37 PM
Of which monsters of the non living, dead or construct type are ya referring to?

nyarlathotep
2012-02-06, 10:19 PM
The weekly tidbits for cat-powered raygun's facebook page provide quite a bit of info.

Tanuki Tales
2012-02-07, 02:43 PM
Is this out yet or is there an ETA or what?

I'm very curious on learning more about this setting and have at least watched one of the Flash cartoons so far.

tbok1992
2012-02-10, 02:49 PM
Well, there are several places where you can find out about it. Some of the plot can be found in the TVTropes page (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DarthWiki/Mortasheen) and the Q&A thread on Bogleech's forums (http://z3.invisionfree.com/bogleech/index.php?showtopic=1806), and a lot of the gameplay info can be found at Cat Powered Raygun's Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cat-Powered-Raygun-Studios/106556609404756) as well as some preview art. But if you want a look at the actual monsters look no further than here (http://bogleech.com/mortasheen.htm).

The game itself isn't out yet, though the actual writing is finished, and all that needs to be done now is the art. It's taking a wile for that to get done because the artist has a hard time making a drawing that he finds satisfactory.

nyarlathotep
2012-02-28, 02:41 AM
Cool new NPCs were added.