PDA

View Full Version : gaining HP from class or race?

Wookie-ranger
2012-01-15, 03:32 AM
OK,

I have been trying to find an answer for that one for a while now. It all started when i was looking around for fun things for my Dread Necromancer. As usual i was going to go Necropolitan or other undead.
I found a tread where some one argued that undead don't get d12 but by their class! only the HD before the transformation would turn into d12s all following ones would be by class. the argument being that it is a Feature and not a trait.
OK, that's the first time i EVER hears about this, and it really doesn't make much sense to me. but i wanted to look into that a bit more, and found some strange things...

Note that if a creature acquires a character class, it improves according to its class, not its type

well I'll be damned! would that little sentence trip this world upside down?

however, the example vampire fighter has d12s and so do all other undead with class levels that i looked at. Sooooo, the monsters (undead) do get d12s, even though the 'improving monsters' entry says they shouldn't? :smallfrown:
this does not make much sense.

Humanoids with 1 Hit Die exchange the features of their humanoid Hit Die for the class features of a PC or NPC class
this entry is only present for humanoids, none of the other types/subtypes have that. And HD size is a feature...:smallannoyed:
IF undead convert all HD into d12s (the way we usually play it) why don't all Outsiders/Aberrations get D8s and constructs d10s? and more so, if the undead get the d12s why don't they get all the other stuff in the feature list like saves, skill points, and BAB?

But then again

Creatures with 1 or less HD replace their monster levels with their character levels. The monster loses the attack bonus, saving throw bonuses, skills, and feats granted by its 1 monster HD and gains the attack bonus, save bonuses, skills, feats, and other class abilities of a 1st-level character of the appropriate class.

this is pretty much how we always played it. even though it is specific for creatures of 1HD or less. however it does not mention HD size.:smallconfused:

I am probably misreading something here, or reading too much into a (for me) confusing rule. If you know what is going on here let me know.

NNescio
2012-01-15, 03:54 AM
however, the example vampire fighter has d12s and so do all other undead with class levels that i looked at. Sooooo, the monsters (undead) do get d12s, even though the 'improving monsters' entry says they shouldn't? :smallfrown:
this does not make much sense.

Vampire is a template. Most templates (at least in Core) that turn a base creature into an undead have the following clause:

Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s.

Compare this with the sample Mummy Lord, which is not a template. He gets "8d12 plus 10d8" hp, with 8d12 from the the base mummy hitdie and the 10d8 from ten levels in cleric.

I don't have Libris Mortis with me now though. What is the specific wording on the Hitdie section of the Necropolitan template?

Wookie-ranger
2012-01-15, 04:09 AM
Compare this with the sample Mummy Lord, which is not a template. He gets "8d12 plus 10d8" hp, with 8d12 from the the base mummy hitdie and the 10d8 from ten levels in cleric.

I don't have Libris Mortis with me now though. What is the specific wording on the Hitdie section of the Necropolitan template?

good point about the Mummy lord. that would be an example of how undead advance without d12s

The Necropolitan says "Hit Dice: increase to d12."
HOWEVER: the example necropolitan is a 5lvl wizard and he has 5d12... :smallconfused:

dgnslyr
2012-01-15, 04:39 AM
The Necropolitan says "Hit Dice: increase to d12."
HOWEVER: the example necropolitan is a 5lvl wizard and he has 5d12... :smallconfused:

This is correct, for Necropolitan. All their hit-die are d12s, forever, even class hit die, to compensate for their lack of constitution. The difference is Necropolitan is a template applied to a creature, while Mummy Lord is a creature unto itself, and the cleric levels are just additional gravy. Not really too consistent considering how they're both undead, but that's how 3.5 is. The d12 hit-die is the main reason Necropolitan are great for casters, and not so good for melee characters.

KillianHawkeye
2012-01-15, 02:04 PM
Yes, you have to check the specific wording if it's a template. For regular monsters like the mummy example, you use the normal monster advancement rules.