PDA

View Full Version : Crown of Detect Good

Morithias
2012-01-15, 04:14 AM
So i'm kinda at a loss for how to price an item I really need. Anyways first some backstory.

My friend is going to be running a "war, take over the world" style campaign where I'll be playing a tyrannical princess whose ego has pushed her into "take over the world" terroritty. However having an intelligence score of 18, wisdom score of 12, and charisma score of 24 has left her with a very good idea of how not to get slaughtered in the process of doing so (not to mention I wrote in her backstory that a bard gave her a "evil overlord tomb" for her 19th birthday).

So to the point.

what would you estimate would be the price of an item that does the opposite of the crown in this comic. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0202.html

Basically an item that makes her detect as "lawful good" instead of "lawful evil".

Thanks for the help everyone. For anyone who's interested the princess is here.

http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=29529

(Note: The noble class and many of her feats are taken from the 3rd party book "Empire by AEG systems")

Edit: On a note, although I doubt that the DM will do so, the reason I want this is I would really hate for her faking being a noble and good ruler to be discovered because a paladin diplomat happened to use his detect evil power on her.

INoKnowNames
2012-01-15, 04:36 AM
One thing to note is that the Crown did not (or at least, from what I know) start off with any noteable special abilities. It's just that the wearer of the crown, before it was taken when the wearer was incapacitated for a bit, was so evil that his evilness rubbed off on the Crown. I'm sure it might be pricy because most jewelry is kinda pricy, but the "detect evil" part of it wasn't anything but the affects of the previous wearer, BBEG Epic Lich Xykon.

It's a bit like a smell, when you think about it. Some smells are so overpowering that they mask other scents around them.

I was going to consider that the evil princess may have a good relative, possibly a sister, that she could borrow a similar object, be it a type of outfit or possession, that her goodness had rubbed off on, that your current character could wear to help mask her own evil. If not, maybe the knight could slay someone who does.

Although in both cases, I'm surprised that the opposite allignment item wouldn't hurt the wearer at all... Guess it's not that strong.

Alleran
2012-01-15, 05:47 AM
(Note: I am extremely tired, so if I missed anything with regard to custom magic items below, feel free to correct me.)

Probably around 2,000 gp or so.

I applied the formula for a continuous item of undetectable alignment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/undetectableAlignment.htm). Such a crown would seem to be an extension of the ability of the spell to mask alignments, except this is masking alignments by replacing what the individual sees when they try to check, not just removing alignment entirely. I used the spell as if it were a bard spell, reasoning that because it "rubbed off" from Xykon, it could be hypothesised as being because of his status as an evil being.

HunterOfJello
2012-01-15, 09:54 AM
1. Take the Magic-Blooded template for your character
2. At the beginning of the day cast Undetectable Aura on yourself and Nystul’s Magic Aura on a long robe that you wear each day. Both last 24 hours and will make you seem like you area different alignment.

Magic Blooded characteristics:

Charisma +2
Wisdom –2
Any special vision from the Ancestor Race is replaced with
Low-Light Vision.
+2 Racial bonus on Spellcraft checks & the skill can be used
untrained.
+2 Racial bonus on Knowledge (arcana) checks & the skill can be
used untrained.
Gain the following spell-like abilities at Character level.
- Detect Magic, 1/day.
- Nystul’s Magic Aura, 1/day.
- Nystul’s Undetectable Aura, 1/day.
- Read Magic, 1/day.
Favored class becomes ‘Sorcerer’.

At the very least, obtaining an item that can cast Undetectable Alignment would be prudent for any wealthy noble or ruler. It's not wise to allow others to gain a magical foothold over your abilities.

~~~~~
Item Options:

Mask of Lies
As far as which Item to pick goes, I think you should use the Mask of Lies from the Magic Item Compendium. It gives a continuous Undetectable Alignment effect that requires no activation. It also gives a +5 competence bonus on Bluff checks and you can activate Disguise Self from it 3/day as a swift action (mental). The traditional mask does look weird, but you could have someone make a version that looks more normal or find a way around that. The price is 4500gp which is very low for being able to do all of those things at once.

Ring of Mind Shielding
"The wearer is continually immune to detect thoughts, discern lies, and any attempt to magically discern her alignment." It takes a ring slot, but is only 8000gp (or 4000gp if crafted). Plus, if anyone asks why a princess is wearing such a ring, you can whisper into the paladin's ear that you use it to make sure that foreign agents don't discover your secret thoughts or the necessary polite lies that princesses are forced to say on a regular basis. It would not be prudent to insult a foreign ambassador by telling the honest truth that their clothes are hideous when asked what the princess thinks of them, now would it?

Murmaider
2012-01-15, 10:26 AM
Maybe you could Squeeze in a level of Master of Masks from Complete Scoundrel in your build. This would allow you to create an 'Angel' mask which lets your alignment appear to be lawful good for the purpose of detection spells and abilities.

Zale
2012-01-15, 12:19 PM
Heterodyne?!

As in "Beware my army of Jagermonsters" or "Watch as I bend the laws of the universe to my whims" Heterodyne?

May the gods have mercy on that poor, poor world.

Slipperychicken
2012-01-15, 12:44 PM
I second the Ring of Mind Shielding. It's something every ruler should have. Actually, say its a royal signet which she wears to sleep. Along those lines, get an item of Detect Thoughts or similar and make everyone who speaks to you intentionally fail their saves against it, because they're all loyal and thus don't have anything to hide, right? And abuse the hell out of divinations in general.

Morithias
2012-01-15, 01:31 PM
Heterodyne?!

As in "Beware my army of Jagermonsters" or "Watch as I bend the laws of the universe to my whims" Heterodyne?

May the gods have mercy on that poor, poor world.

there actually is an explanation. originality I was going to play an artificer who would be deploying armies of golems to the field. Who was basically inspired by Agatha.

However when the DM revealed I'd be playing the diplomat I decided a CN artificer would be not the best idea. So I made the princess.

I still have the artificer on standby I like to make multiple character per campaign just in case one of them bites it. (One campaign where I was flat out told characters would likely die I actually had 5 characters on standby).

Thank you for all the help everyone these items should prove to serve my needs.

Also I can't believe I didn't realize the magic blooded thing, considering she ALREADY HAS THE TEMPLATE. Wow I missed something obvious didn't I.

ericgrau
2012-01-15, 07:15 PM
Alignment only misdirection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/misdirection.htm), so between 6,000 gp and 12,000 gp. I'll guess 25% discount for partial effect so 9,000 gp. If you only want to conceal your alignment it's 6,000 gp for undetectable alignment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/undetectableAlignment.htm). This is for a worn item, like a necklace or crown worn on the head. Items that don't need to be worn cost twice as much.

Note that detect evil doesn't actually say "not evil", it only says "evil" or nothing. So you'd register same as a good person.