PDA

View Full Version : Skyrim IV: Oblivion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Thanatos 51-50
2012-01-15, 07:10 AM
Because holy crap, guys! The last thread was in the middle of page 51! That's half a page too late!

Previous threads:
Skyrim I (looking for the link)
Skyrim II (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222730)
Skyrim III (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12323418#post12323418)

Handy things:
Official forums (http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/forum/117-v-skyrim/)
Perk calculator (http://skyrimcalculator.com/)
Some things you need to know about Skyrim (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12328428#post12328428) (in this thread)
The Wiki (http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Quests_(Skyrim))

Mods:
Aesthetic/interface mods
Inventory Interface mod (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=667)

Fixes
Ebony Blade fix (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1946)

Gameplay additions
Skyrim Online, the MMO (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3592)
Dragon Souls to Perk points (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2063)
Marriage/Companion mod (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2176)
No Perk Prerequisites (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1943)
Perk Reset (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1876)
Speech improving Shouting (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2318)

LordShotGun
2012-01-15, 08:09 AM
Hmm, after about 150 hours of this game I am getting slightly bored with it. I think next character I'm gonna ignore the main quest (after getting dragons to spawn) and just go exploring.

Triaxx
2012-01-15, 09:56 AM
I'm just curious why we keep starting pages on 38?

Anyway, yeah, that's what I've been doing, I mean, I'm on... 6? 7? And I do nothing more than kill Mirmulnir, and get my Fus Ro Dah on, and then go exploring. And you know what?

I'm STILL finding things I hadn't seen before.

Volthawk
2012-01-15, 09:57 AM

You have a nonstandard amount of posts per page. For most of us that have the standard 30 per page, we stop at page 50.

Sir Enigma
2012-01-15, 11:14 AM
So, I've just started this and could use some advice. I'm currently a Breton intending to focus perks on One Handed, Block, Heavy Armor, Smithing and Enchanting. I'm also going to use Destruction (for ranged/area attacks) and Restoration but don't really intend to spend perks here.

First question, then, is: does this look reasonable? Am I spread too thinly on perks (or alternatively, can I afford to take on another skill?) Also, how well does Destruction work as an attack skill without perk investment? Would I be better switching to Archery for ranged attacks? (I've got the Remove Perk Prerequisites mod, so I can skip useless perks)

Second, how should I raise Health/Magicka/Stamina?

Any other advice is also welcome. Thanks in advance! :smallsmile:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-01-15, 11:21 AM
Just died to Krosis. Surprise.

As for race origins, the Bretons claim to be descended from the Nedic peoples who lived in Cyrodiil before the other Men came from Atmora or Yokuda, who were ruled over by the various Mer peoples.
I remember reading something somewhere that had the idea that all life came from Tamriel, split off to the various other continents, and then returned...

Qwertystop
2012-01-15, 01:07 PM
Well, my Archer-Thief is going pretty well. However, I'm running out of irrelevant Factions for my next character (doing my best to not overlap factions on characters). I'm specifically avoiding Companions so that I can have it for my melee character. Should the melee character be sword-and-board or two-handed?

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-01-15, 01:37 PM
So, I've just started this and could use some advice. I'm currently a Breton intending to focus perks on One Handed, Block, Heavy Armor, Smithing and Enchanting. I'm also going to use Destruction (for ranged/area attacks) and Restoration but don't really intend to spend perks here.

First question, then, is: does this look reasonable? Am I spread too thinly on perks (or alternatively, can I afford to take on another skill?) Also, how well does Destruction work as an attack skill without perk investment? Would I be better switching to Archery for ranged attacks? (I've got the Remove Perk Prerequisites mod, so I can skip useless perks)

Very reasonable. Pick one of Destro/Archery for when you can't reach your enemies, but otherwise you'll hack 'em to bits just fine. I'd go Archery, just because it scales better - just keeping your bow upgraded and 'chanted will keep it's damage relevant even with few perks. Can't really say the same for Destruction. On the other hand, archery doesn't let you chuck fireballs at people's faces. So there is that too.

I don't think you'll really be needing Alteration. Heavy+Block is a lot of defense - if anything that gets through that you can just chug a potion.

Second, how should I raise Health/Magicka/Stamina?

Health mostly. Keep Magicka high enough that you can cast a couple of your big spells without running dry. But basically look at what you're running out of in fights. Not enough Stamina to spam you power attacks? Boost that. Health getting too low for comfort? Get more of it.

Well, my Archer-Thief is going pretty well. However, I'm running out of irrelevant Factions for my next character (doing my best to not overlap factions on characters). I'm specifically avoiding Companions so that I can have it for my melee character. Should the melee character be sword-and-board or two-handed?

Be a man. Go Unarmed. :smalltongue:

Qwertystop
2012-01-15, 02:17 PM
Be a man. Go Unarmed. :smalltongue:

Doesn't Unarmed scale worse than everything ever?

Weezer
2012-01-15, 02:27 PM
Doesn't Unarmed scale worse than everything ever?

That's why it's the manly route to go.

EndlessWrath
2012-01-15, 02:39 PM
So... I just got stuck. Like permanently stuck x__x. After 16 hours of gameplay I get stuck in cidhna mine..with no saves to go back to. So as a word of warning, don't dual-wield picks and mine all the ore if you go to prison inside... You have to serve your time by clicking the activate button.

-Wrath

Yora
2012-01-15, 02:49 PM
No, the lesson should be "do not play RPGs without making lots of saves". Been true 20 years ago, true today.

pffh
2012-01-15, 02:51 PM
So... I just got stuck. Like permanently stuck x__x. After 16 hours of gameplay I get stuck in cidhna mine..with no saves to go back to. So as a word of warning, don't dual-wield picks and mine all the ore if you go to prison inside... You have to serve your time by clicking the activate button.

-Wrath

I'm pretty sure you can break out using the lockpick you smuggled in.

ObadiahtheSlim
2012-01-15, 02:56 PM
Wait a month. Veins should respawn. Or is that part of the Markarth quest...

Weezer
2012-01-15, 03:11 PM
Wait a month. Veins should respawn. Or is that part of the Markarth quest...

Apparently the bug is that the veins don't respawn, so if you don't realize what you're supposed to do you get trapped forever. Also I don't think you can break out of the Markarth jail, the door isn't pickable (or even openable)

pffh
2012-01-15, 03:16 PM
Apparently the bug is that the veins don't respawn, so if you don't realize what you're supposed to do you get trapped forever. Also I don't think you can break out of the Markarth jail, the door isn't pickable (or even openable)

Hmm the forsworn leader should still be there and he has a key for the escape tunnel.

Weezer
2012-01-15, 03:24 PM
Hmm the forsworn leader should still be there and he has a key for the escape tunnel.

But you can't get through the door to his room until you activate the quest to talk to/kill him.

My brother spent a long time trying to escape after mining out all of the minerals, and I remember telling him to try that, it didn't work. He even killed the orc guard and there wasn't even a key for that door.

pffh
2012-01-15, 03:25 PM
But you can't get through the door to his room until you activate the quest to talk to/kill him.

Can't you just kill the doorman?

Weezer
2012-01-15, 03:29 PM
Missed my ninja edit

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-15, 03:32 PM
I did the Forsworn's leader small quest, and I broke out with the rest of the group. Pretty much the only thing that went well was that I one-shot the target with the makeshift weapon. (Incidentally, that whole questline gave me minor quest trauma, and my character a huge one easily summed up by "Favoured Enemy: Forsworn".)
And a friend told me he got out after killing said leader (before or after doing what he wanted, I don't know).
So, huh, yeah.
I don't go to Markarth anymore. :smallannoyed:

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-01-15, 03:40 PM
So, huh, yeah.
I don't go to Markarth anymore. :smallannoyed:

Welcome to the club! We meet on Tuesdays and Fridays to trade stories. :smallamused:

Me, I messed things up and ended up not killing the Forsworn leader... One of these days I've gotta track him down and show him the business end of a poisoned daedric arrow. :smallannoyed:

Triaxx
2012-01-15, 03:44 PM
If you're on PC, you can tcl through the door. If you're not, well...

Starwulf
2012-01-15, 03:51 PM

Anyway, yeah, that's what I've been doing, I mean, I'm on... 6? 7? And I do nothing more than kill Mirmulnir, and get my Fus Ro Dah on, and then go exploring. And you know what?

I'm STILL finding things I hadn't seen before.

Considering I have over 1k hours invested into Morrowind and I can STILL find new things when I get the urge to fire it up and play through, the fact that you're still finding things after only 6 or 7 playthroughs of Skyrim is not surprising in the least ^^

Seerow
2012-01-15, 03:56 PM
Not sure if I mentioned this in the other topic, but I recently did the Daedra quest that is like the Hangover 2.0, and it was the most hilarious thing ever. I started it completely by accident, not aware of what it was, which made it that much better.

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-15, 06:04 PM
Two fun things:

1: The fact that sneaking into Dagon's pathetic little shrine made this occur:

Daedra guy: "I Smell Weakness" (when detecting Mjoll).
Me: *Cutting his demonic throat from behind* ...Weakness indeed.

2: Thalmor... Is there anything they do better than dying?
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595833494635663171/454C6844EF25D8865AE56FB01549D1D5555CBCB6/

enderlord99
2012-01-15, 06:27 PM
Not sure if I mentioned this in the other topic, but I recently did the Daedra quest that is like the Hangover 2.0, and it was the most hilarious thing ever. I started it completely by accident, not aware of what it was, which made it that much better.

What about the quest that requires you to enter the Pelagius Wing of the Blue Palace? (And no, I won't give you any more details, except that it's also a daedric quest.)

Morph Bark
2012-01-15, 06:59 PM
Two fun things:

1: The fact that sneaking into Dagon's pathetic little shrine made this occur:

Daedra guy: "I Smell Weakness" (when detecting Mjoll).
Me: *Cutting his demonic throat from behind* ...Weakness indeed.

2: Thalmor... Is there anything they do better than dying?
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595833494635663171/454C6844EF25D8865AE56FB01549D1D5555CBCB6/

Holy crap what is she(?) wearing that looks awesome.

Partof1
2012-01-15, 07:06 PM

Nightingale Armour, from the thieve's guild questline.

Seerow
2012-01-15, 07:41 PM
What about the quest that requires you to enter the Pelagius Wing of the Blue Palace? (And no, I won't give you any more details, except that it's also a daedric quest.)

Haven't run across that yet that I can remember.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-01-15, 08:41 PM
I'm currently debating the Forsworn quest myself:

Braig sums up the nature of the conflict in this quest very well.

"There are no innocents here, just the guilty and the dead."

Which leaves me in a bit of a conundrum. I want to do what's right, but what's right is definitely murky here. If I kill Madanach I avenge the deaths he's caused while imprisoned and prevent more from happening, plus I save many lives in Markarth by avoiding a prison riot.

On the other hand, the Silver-Bloods are just as guilty, and frankly have justice coming to them when the Forsworn escape, willing to throw me in jail to cover up their scheming, and the Forsworn have definitely been wronged, first attacked out of hand by the Stormcloaks when the Empire was willing to negotiate with them, and then butchered mercilessly and enslaved by the Nords.

What does someone trying to do the "Lawful Good" thing do in this case? Who do we support to get out of Cidhna Mine? I know the REAL LG thing to do would be to just serve your time quietly, get the Oblivion out of Markarth and let the Nords and Forsworn tear each other apart, but the game's not going to let you do that.

LordShotGun
2012-01-15, 08:47 PM

No, that is a different quest.

Partof1
2012-01-15, 08:49 PM
RE: Forsworn
I didn't even realize killing Madonach was an option :P I was mostly just mad at the guards at the time, and Madonach wanted to help me out.

enderlord99
2012-01-15, 08:52 PM
No, that is a different quest.

I know, and I'm pretty sure it's at least as funny. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Morph Bark
2012-01-15, 08:55 PM

Oh. I forgot that actually came with a facemask. Awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Partof1
2012-01-15, 08:56 PM
I just wish the mask was more relevant to me. Though I am starting to level Illusion, they don't effect high enough level enemies.

pffh
2012-01-15, 08:58 PM
I just wish the mask was more relevant to me. Though I am starting to level Illusion, they don't effect high enough level enemies.

The dark brotherhood mask fits quite well with the nightingale armor.

Partof1
2012-01-15, 09:09 PM
It looked off to me, when I tried that. Though the Brotherhood armour is pretty useful for me anyway.

Thanatos 51-50
2012-01-15, 09:26 PM
(On Console)

I seem to have run into an amusing glitch in Markarth.
After completing the Forsworn Questline (Killing Madanach, which, I believe, is the only Good thing to do) and getting a Full pardon, Guards STILL try to throw me in Chidna Mine for "Conspiracy against the City". However, They won't chase me down, or allow me to pay off my 3 gold bounty, or even let me serve my time. I can just hit "B" to exit out of the conversation and go on my merry way.

Any non-console-use fixes?
Spoiler with idea, but I don't want to try it without confirmation.
Do I have to kill Nepos the Nose or something?

Partof1
2012-01-15, 09:30 PM
@^ I have the same problem. I can't go to Markarth anymore, because my bounty is like 30000, and they won't let me pay, won't accept my bribes, and when I offer to go to jail, the conversation reverts to the beginning, the "What's wrong, officer?" bit. I want a patch :smalltongue:

ObadiahtheSlim
2012-01-15, 09:35 PM
(On Console)

I seem to have run into an amusing glitch in Markarth.
After completing the Forsworn Questline (Killing Madanach, which, I believe, is the only Good thing to do) and getting a Full pardon, Guards STILL try to throw me in Chidna Mine for "Conspiracy against the City". However, They won't chase me down, or allow me to pay off my 3 gold bounty, or even let me serve my time. I can just hit "B" to exit out of the conversation and go on my merry way.

Any non-console-use fixes?
Spoiler with idea, but I don't want to try it without confirmation.
Do I have to kill Nepos the Nose or something?

It's a known bug. Those guards won't ever despawn and they'll have bugged dialog from the quest. Since I'm on PC, I just used the console to disable them. ^_^

thorgrim29
2012-01-15, 11:11 PM
Well, just killed Alduin for the first time, as a level 56 monster of a character with way too much AC. Now I'm thinking of a stealthy guy, maybe sneak, illusion, light armour, one hand (dual wield), archery and lockpicking as major skills, with of course blacksmith and enchanting (also conjuration, ended p in the high 50s from soul trapping everything on my last character).

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-15, 11:17 PM

Nightingale armor with the hood from the Dark Brotherhood. The hood for the Nightingale armor looks even better, but is completely useless for me. This one gives me +20% archery damage and matches well enough.

Flickerdart
2012-01-16, 12:10 AM
There's no finishing blow animation for shield+unarmed, which really bugs me. Maybe I'll ditch my shield in order to be maximum manly.

Morph Bark
2012-01-16, 03:50 AM
Nightingale armor with the hood from the Dark Brotherhood. The hood for the Nightingale armor looks even better, but is completely useless for me. This one gives me +20% archery damage and matches well enough.

I got the hood from the DB that Astrid game me and another I nabbed from a shelf, but neither of them have facemasks. :smallconfused:

GodGoblin
2012-01-16, 05:18 AM
I got the hood from the DB that Astrid game me and another I nabbed from a shelf, but neither of them have facemasks. :smallconfused:

Are you an argonian or Khajit by any chance?

Morph Bark
2012-01-16, 05:26 AM
Are you an argonian or Khajit by any chance?

Nope, Dunmer. One hood is marked as "maskless" and the other's picture also shows it with a mask in the inventory screen, but not when equipped.

Dhavaer
2012-01-16, 05:41 AM
Just finished the Legion questline, and the sideways power attack was amazing. Managed to take down five Stormcloaks with one swing at one point.

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-16, 06:11 AM

The one from Astrid was masked (this one). This one is also upgradeable. There is a Maskless version, but that one is made by cloth and therefore has no armor. I also have a +20% sneak mage hood from the same quest that I switch to occasionally.
Edit: Ah I know what happened. She GAVE you the mask. I ATE her (being a werewolf; this is the mask (and knife) she had equipped at the time.

The best thing was her knife though. It is now Epic, and makes more damage than any sword I have found so far. Before the Critical sneak attack bonuses and 15 x damage for backstabs...

Thanatos 51-50
2012-01-16, 07:09 AM
It's a known bug. Those guards won't ever despawn and they'll have bugged dialog from the quest. Since I'm on PC, I just used the console to disable them. ^_^

Right.
Murdering them all doesn't seem to help, either. Sadface.

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-16, 07:52 AM
@^ I have the same problem. I can't go to Markarth anymore, because my bounty is like 30000, and they won't let me pay, won't accept my bribes, and when I offer to go to jail, the conversation reverts to the beginning, the "What's wrong, officer?" bit. I want a patch :smalltongue:

Also had that problem.
Actually, once the guards inside Markarth got killed by the escaped Forsworns, I did what I thought was the sane thing and got out of the city.
My new murderous "friends" were miles away already, the guards were still angry at me for a crime I didn't commit, and a small mob had chosen the perfect moment to try stabbing me from some crime I DID commit the week before.
This is the other half of "We don't go to Markarth anymore".

Quite a while after, I was obligated to go back there for the Thieves' Guild. Guard say mean things to me, but have stopped trying to arrest me after the first one (I just replied to the first and only one who asked that yes, I would serve my time in the mines, but nothing happened). Still not going to Markarth until it's entirely necessary and I have my brave mule meatshield with me. :smallmad:

Gullintanni
2012-01-16, 07:54 AM
Someone posted about the tougher dragons mod towards the end of the last thread. I downloaded it. Brutal.

I started a new character on Master difficulty. The first dragon during the Dragon Rising quest took nearly an hour to kill. If you want your dragons to feel truly epic, that's the mod you need. And lots of Elemental Damage: No armor.

factotum
2012-01-16, 07:59 AM
Just taking an hour to kill doesn't make something difficult to kill, just tedious--see Izual from Diablo 2.

Gullintanni
2012-01-16, 08:05 AM
Just taking an hour to kill doesn't make something difficult to kill, just tedious--see Izual from Diablo 2.

Yeah but Izual couldn't actually deal damage. He's just tough + high HP.

The reason the dragon took me an hour to kill was because I died. Repeatedly. Everything the dragon did hurt a lot. A single breath was usually enough to send me running for the hills IF I was already at full health. Otherwise, all I could do was hope that Dual-cast healing would keep me alive long enough for the fire to burn out.

Izual suffered from a lack of offense. The mods beefed up dragons suffer from no such issue.

Adumbration
2012-01-16, 08:06 AM
Are there any other questlines apart from DB, Winterhold, Companions, Thieves Guild and Main? I'm thinking about rolling a sword-and-board type of character, but I've already completed Companions on one character.

Dvil
2012-01-16, 08:11 AM
Someone posted about the tougher dragons mod towards the end of the last thread. I downloaded it. Brutal.

I started a new character on Master difficulty. The first dragon during the Dragon Rising quest took nearly an hour to kill. If you want your dragons to feel truly epic, that's the mod you need. And lots of Elemental Damage: No armor.

I think that was me. I'm just on the default difficulty, but boy is it fun. Nothing better than having to actually hide and fight clever with the big monsters of flamey death.

Divayth Fyr
2012-01-16, 08:20 AM
Are there any other questlines apart from DB, Winterhold, Companions, Thieves Guild and Main? I'm thinking about rolling a sword-and-board type of character, but I've already completed Companions on one character.
The civil war aka Stormcloaks vs. Empire. Technically the Bard's College is a faction, but has 4 quests, 3 of which are "bring back my instrument" without anything making them interesting...

pffh
2012-01-16, 08:22 AM
I think that was me. I'm just on the default difficulty, but boy is it fun. Nothing better than having to actually hide and fight clever with the big monsters of flamey death.

Where can I find it? I'm not seeing it on skyrim nexus.

Gullintanni
2012-01-16, 08:31 AM
Trying to locate for you...at work though, and nexus is blocked. May take a few.

EDIT: It might be called Deadly Dragons. If that's the correct one, it should have a modular component with the potential to add new loot to dragons and it should say something about soul shards.

Confirmed. It is called Deadly Dragons by 3Jlou. Apparently higher level dragons use shouts like Ice Form; and even higher up, Aspects of Alduin start showing up here and there. :smalleek:

Anyway, have fun. I can vouch for the mod actually increasing substantially the difficulty of dragons. Be careful when fighting nearby to NPCs. I could see one of these dragons making a mess of Windhelm.

And the link: skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3829
Keeping in mind of course that I can't actually test it...

Dvil
2012-01-16, 08:43 AM
I use one called More Powerful Dragons. Here (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4272)'s the link.

LordShotGun
2012-01-16, 10:06 AM
I use one called More Powerful Dragons. Here (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4272)'s the link.

One warning though. If you plan on playing on master difficulty, you can't physically hurt alduin at the end of the game. His regen is way too high and is immune to just about everything (all elements and poison) except physical damage and even then he has 80% (the max) damage reduction. The creator wanted you killing him to actually be a challenge but went a little too far.

This is also a problem with ancient dragons but at least with them they are still vulnerable to the "marked for death" series of shouts while alduin require the use of dragonrend to even make him land.

Gullintanni
2012-01-16, 10:27 AM
One warning though. If you plan on playing on master difficulty, you can't physically hurt alduin at the end of the game. His regen is way too high and is immune to just about everything (all elements and poison) except physical damage and even then he has 80% (the max) damage reduction. The creator wanted you killing him to actually be a challenge but went a little too far.

This is also a problem with ancient dragons but at least with them they are still vulnerable to the "marked for death" series of shouts while alduin require the use of dragonrend to even make him land.

I haven't gotten to this point with the Deadly Dragons mod so I'm not sure if it's the same situation. The mod doesn't list health regeneration as one of the attributes changed, so you should be able to hurt Alduin, but I can't say. One of the best things about the Deadly Dragons mod is that it adds a lot of content, almost all of which can be installed independently of the actual numbers tweaks.

I love modular mods. :smallsmile:

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-01-16, 10:44 AM
Happens to me all the time. (http://www.brokenplotdevice.com/2012/01/16/encumbered/)

LordShotGun
2012-01-16, 10:45 AM
I haven't gotten to this point with the Deadly Dragons mod so I'm not sure if it's the same situation. The mod doesn't list health regeneration as one of the attributes changed, so you should be able to hurt Alduin, but I can't say. One of the best things about the Deadly Dragons mod is that it adds a lot of content, almost all of which can be installed independently of the actual numbers tweaks.

I love modular mods. :smallsmile:

Well the reason deadly dragons does not list health regen as a factor changed is because I was actually speaking about the "More Powerful Dragons" mod that was listed right after yours.

Apples and oranges mate. :smallsmile:

Gullintanni
2012-01-16, 10:51 AM
Well the reason deadly dragons does not list health regen as a factor changed is because I was actually speaking about the "More Powerful Dragons" mod that was listed right after yours.

Apples and oranges mate. :smallsmile:

I know. Maybe I wasn't clear, my bad.

I was offering a basis of comparison for the two mods, with Deadly Dragons not modifying regen rates (thus rendering Master level Alduin beatable but hard) vs. More Powerful Dragons with Alduin being functionally invulnerable.

There's extra content in Deadly Dragons, so I was expounding on the virtues of being able to filter out the additional content for strict numerical boosts without the regen rate ridiculousness of More Powerful Dragons.

Strictly to help the Playground make their decisions as to which OMFG-DRAGONS! mod to download. :smalltongue:

Starbuck_II
2012-01-16, 11:06 AM
I'm getting a weird bug now when I go into third person to look in my self: I can see through the back of my head.
Maybe because I'm using a falmar helm and Kiosis mask at same time (because you can), not really sure.

I love Unrenting force part 3, knocking enemies away like ragdolls is amazing.

Gullintanni
2012-01-16, 11:10 AM
I'm getting a weird bug now when I go into third person to look in my self: I can see through the back of my head.
Maybe because I'm using a falmar helm and Kiosis mask at same time (because you can), not really sure.

I love Unrenting force part 3, knocking enemies away like ragdolls is amazing.

I believe the appropriate verbiage here is FUS RO DAH! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip7QZPw04Ks
)

Morph Bark
2012-01-16, 11:23 AM
Edit: Ah I know what happened. She GAVE you the mask. I ATE her (being a werewolf; this is the mask (and knife) she had equipped at the time.

Well, balls.

Here's to hoping I will be able to kill her on my female orc or on my Nord Leeroy.

Seharvepernfan
2012-01-16, 11:26 AM
I guess I should have suspected that there were mods that people were downloading to make things more difficult. And here I thought I was badass for playing through the game on Master and never fast traveling. :smallfrown:

However, if you're like me and can't get mods, one thing I thought about long after restarting, that would really increase the difficulty in a different way, is to make your HUD completely transparent. You won't have a compass, you won't have an aim marker, you won't know if you've been detected or not, and you can't read the name of whatever you're about to pick up, talk to, or open.

I wish I had done this from the start.

Nice thread title, btw :smallwink:

Seharvepernfan
2012-01-16, 11:29 AM
knocking enemies away like ragdolls is amazing.

Combine trolls/bears/multiple opponents with any 30ft.+ cliff and you're set.

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-16, 11:41 AM
Happens to me all the time. (http://www.brokenplotdevice.com/2012/01/16/encumbered/)

Indeed. I met my first ancient dragon yesterday, as I was trying to talk to some locals, and my first reaction was exactly this. I had JUST sold all the dragon bone I had and then he had to show up and make my inventory full again!

Haven't happened to me, but only because I didn't think of it (http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/352/d/c/skyrim_comic__whiterun_is_in_danger_by_daolpu-d4jjal6.jpg).

Triaxx
2012-01-16, 11:55 AM
There's a tower, north of the road between Ivarstead, and Riften. It's full of 'guards' which are actually disguised bandits. The upper level is a great place to Fus Ro Dah people off of. High up, right on a MASSIVE cliff. It's almost ridiculously awesome.

Valtheim Towers is another good place.

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-17, 07:35 AM
Regarding the House Of Horrors:
Am I the only one irritated that you can't stick it to the Daedra Lords?
The only options you have for the two quests involved is A) Empower the horrible demonic bastards and commit heinous crimes, or have the quests in your journal forever? Or is it something I am missing?

LordShotGun
2012-01-17, 07:45 AM
Indeed. I met my first ancient dragon yesterday, as I was trying to talk to some locals, and my first reaction was exactly this. I had JUST sold all the dragon bone I had and then he had to show up and make my inventory full again!

Haven't happened to me, but only because I didn't think of it (http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/352/d/c/skyrim_comic__whiterun_is_in_danger_by_daolpu-d4jjal6.jpg).

This is why I modded the game's item weight because I was getting sick and tired of having to travel back to whiterun's breezehome to drop off all my dragon bones.

factotum
2012-01-17, 07:49 AM
Regarding the House Of Horrors:
Am I the only one irritated that you can't stick it to the Daedra Lords?
The only options you have for the two quests involved is A) Empower the horrible demonic bastards and commit heinous crimes, or have the quests in your journal forever? Or is it something I am missing?

Usually you get the option to refuse, but only right at the end. Examples:

You can refuse to kill the priest in House of Horrors, or you can kill all the cannibals in the cave after luring what's-his-name there.

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-17, 07:54 AM
Usually you get the option to refuse, but only right at the end. Examples:

You can refuse to kill the priest in House of Horrors, or you can kill all the cannibals in the cave after luring what's-his-name there.

Ah. But the priest is a sick twisted bastard, after all he follows a Daedra Lord that is not in any way nicer than that guy. Of course I can always track him down and kill him myself. That would keep the altar messed up and Bothia or whatever the snake-lady is called lose a priest. I think I'll do that.

Triaxx
2012-01-17, 08:26 AM
Horrible truth, that theres a Daedra Lord WORSE than Molag Bal.

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-17, 08:59 AM
Horrible truth, that theres a Daedra Lord WORSE than Molag Bal.

Of course.

Personally I have sold my soul to
Hircine, Nocturnal and Meridia (from bad to "almost good").

I will do my best after my death not to go to the eternal hunting grounds, but don't really mind the other two, thief as I am.

I am also a loyal follower of Mara and aim to spread her message as much as possible.

Basically I try to destroy anyone following anyone more evil than Nocturnal, except the Shield Sisters and Brothers at the Companions, since they are in control of their beasts.

Valaqil
2012-01-17, 09:39 AM
Of course.

Personally I have sold my soul to
Hircine, Nocturnal and Meridia (from bad to "almost good").

I will do my best after my death not to go to the eternal hunting grounds, but don't really mind the other two, thief as I am.

On my most recent character, I am taking every single offer I am given. I don't know who will get me after I die, but they'll have to fight over me! :smallbiggrin:

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-17, 09:45 AM
On my most recent character, I am taking every single offer I am given. I don't know who will get me after I die, but they'll have to fight over me! :smallbiggrin:

We can always hope that Nocturnal's dress get's torn...
This seems to be the basic principle anyway:
The Dragonborn is such a powerful soul, being the ultimate Chosen One, that (s)he automatically ends up as the chosen one for ALL GODS in the realm. Some of them has foreseen it, others are pleasantly surprised when the Dragonborn shows up for the first time.

Triaxx
2012-01-17, 09:49 AM
I don't know that I'd call Hircine more evil than Nocturnal really. I mean, sure the whole werewolf thing, but not everyone is evil, or lets it rage out of control, so it's not like they're all monsters.

Of course say. Arnbjorn would be evil even if he weren't a werewolf.

druid91
2012-01-17, 09:59 AM
Personally, when it comes to daedra, I stick to Mehrunes dagon... and that's about it. Every other daedra lord I've met I've ticked off.

Remade Azuras star into the black star, Massacred the cannibals and then for good measure turned their leader into a zombie, Pretty much gave hircine the finger and cured myself of lycanthropy, and left behind enough severed witch heads for the others to do the same if they so chose... And I think that's all the daedric quests I've gotten so far. I haven't gotten past goldenglow estate yet so no nocturnal.

I tried the whole werewolf thing, and all it did was get me killed and irritate me.

I mean sure, I plow through guys like nobodies business, but I can't heal. And it doesn't really work on anything worse than silver hand mooks or bandits anyway.

Besides Vampire may require more micromanagement but it's loads more fun for my usual sneaky mage/archer/assassin.

Flickerdart
2012-01-17, 10:47 AM
Honestly, most of the Daedra quests are harmless. Drain some blood from guys you'd kill anyway? Sure thing! Kill a Daedra worshipper? Don't mind if I do! Help an orc deal with a tribe of giants plaguing his tribe? Glad to help! The Sanguine Rose and Wabbajack quests don't even hurt anybody at all.

factotum
2012-01-17, 10:59 AM
The Sanguine Rose and Wabbajack quests don't even hurt anybody at all.

Well, apart from:

The Hagraven who you've promised your hand in marriage to on the Sanguine Rose quest. :smallwink:

Triaxx
2012-01-17, 11:17 AM
I don't know. I find that being a werewolf tends to become my thieves 'escape plan'. Just duck into a room, go wolf and then I can plow through anything in my path until I'm safely out of town. Or where ever I might be.

Qwertystop
2012-01-17, 11:26 AM
Alternately, go wolf before committing crimes. The bounties are counted separately.

druid91
2012-01-17, 12:04 PM
Alternately, go wolf before committing crimes. The bounties are counted separately.

So... like the grey fox mask? But only good for vicious murder?

LordShotGun
2012-01-17, 01:16 PM
So... like the grey fox mask? But only good for vicious murder?

Well I suppose you could try to pickpocket as a werewolf but that seems kinda difficult to me.

Seharvepernfan
2012-01-17, 01:42 PM
Activate beast form, then immediately start this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5S0dkLZoTg) song.

Perfect.

Starbuck_II
2012-01-17, 02:53 PM
Well, apart from:

The Hagraven who you've promised your hand in marriage to on the Sanguine Rose quest. :smallwink:

I never met her, I went right to the correct Fort instead. I couldn't find the swamp :smalltongue:
So ignorance is bliss.

Plus, marrying anyone but Lydia. She'd kill me.

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-17, 03:28 PM
Honestly, most of the Daedra quests are harmless. Drain some blood from guys you'd kill anyway? Sure thing! Kill a Daedra worshipper? Don't mind if I do! Help an orc deal with a tribe of giants plaguing his tribe? Glad to help! The Sanguine Rose and Wabbajack quests don't even hurt anybody at all.

Except the ones where...
You are supposed to kill your friends to boast a Daedra artifact, or to kill a person who trusts you to become the chosen one, or...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-01-17, 04:05 PM
Activate beast form, then immediately start this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5S0dkLZoTg) song.

Perfect.

This song makes amazing fight music. I know it really gets MY blood pumpin'!

Edit: Considering this is the only TES thread up, might as well. Just put together all me modded Oblibbies stuff, and it's HAAAARD. I died to a random rock imp in a random fort, then decided to put down the difficulty. Ripped my way through a bunch of skellies and a few imps which did put up a little fight, but then got SWAMPED inside one of the forts by raiders and such. THERE WERE SO MANY. I killed all but 3, I think, but the last 3 were two mages and an archer, and they were hitting me constantly at a range, and were all in a triangle, so if I was attacking one, the other two could hit my back. So, I died there. BUT STILL, it's SO MUCH MORE FUN than vanilla Oblibbies!

Seerow
2012-01-17, 04:10 PM
Except the ones where...
You are supposed to kill your friends to boast a Daedra artifact, or to kill a person who trusts you to become the chosen one, or...

Yeah, the armor daedric quest made me really uneasy with the whole requirement to kill a follower. I had to run to a town and recruit a generic 500g mercenary I didn't kill about, and still felt bad about it. It made me really disappointed when the armor turned out to be a downgrade for me

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-17, 04:14 PM
Yeah, the armor daedric quest made me really uneasy with the whole requirement to kill a follower. I had to run to a town and recruit a generic 500g mercenary I didn't kill about, and still felt bad about it. It made me really disappointed when the armor turned out to be a downgrade for me

Basically if you are over level 20, ALL Daedra artifacts are worse than the stuff you buy in stores. Except for the Rose.

druid91
2012-01-17, 04:35 PM
Basically if you are over level 20, ALL Daedra artifacts are worse than the stuff you buy in stores. Except for the Rose.

And the Star (Black or Azuras, either way personally I like black, but that's because I like stealing souls), and the wabbajack...

Muz
2012-01-17, 05:21 PM
I just accidentally saved over my last save for my thief character with my mage character (I thought I was in the load screen, not the save screen, and was switching back to the thief after beating the MQ). The previous save for the thief is about a week (game time) before the one I erased. Now I have to assassinate a certain Imperial bigwig again, reassemble the Razor, and do who knows what else I forgot. I are cranky.

...Actually that was a few days ago, but I hadn't vented yet. So far I've been playing X-Com instead due to the lost momentum.

Pity me! :smallwink:

By the way (main quest near-end spoilers) was anyone else annoyed that the camera stayed back at Dragonsreach when you get a ride on dragonback? I wanted to SEE it, to look down on Skyrim and enjoy the view. The darned dragon even sells it as a great experience, and then what does the game do? "Naah, we'll skip that." :smallmad:

factotum
2012-01-17, 05:42 PM
I'd guess that happens for the same reason they removed the Fly spell in Oblivion--you'd notice the cities were all empty shells otherwise! (Morrowind did a perfectly good job of allowing you to just walk in and out of cities seamlessly, why can't the more recent games do it?).

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-17, 05:44 PM
My Dunmer thief always does what Daedras ask her, because while she couldn't care less about mortal laws, she is absolutely terrified of Daedras. Why wouldn't she? They're from another plane, they're immensely powerful, the overwhelming majority is needlessly cruel or bloodthirsty, and they generally toy with mortals for little more than their own amusement.
Only possible exception involved Clavicus Vile. She didn't hurt Barbas simply because she's not completely stupid either and knows better than strike a deal with the Daedra of Faustian Bargains And Other Deals That End In Tears.
As a result, she's got quite a bunch of artifacts already, only one of which still being somewhat useful today, and she's not even met all of them yet.
Wonder how her Daedra overlords will split her soul. :smallwink:

druid91
2012-01-17, 05:44 PM
I'd guess that happens for the same reason they removed the Fly spell in Oblivion--you'd notice the cities were all empty shells otherwise! (Morrowind did a perfectly good job of allowing you to just walk in and out of cities seamlessly, why can't the more recent games do it?).

There was a fly spell?

All I remember was the "Fortify acrobatics 100pts, Feather) combo that let you jump ten feet in the air.

My Dunmer thief always does what Daedras ask her, because while she couldn't care less about mortal laws, she is absolutely terrified of Daedras. Why wouldn't she? They're from another plane, they're immensely powerful, the overwhelming majority is needlessly cruel or bloodthirsty, and they generally toy with mortals for little more than their own amusement.
Only possible exception involved Clavicus Vile. She didn't hurt Barbas simply because she's not completely stupid either and knows better than strike a deal with the Daedra of Faustian Bargains And Other Deals That End In Tears.
As a result, she's got quite a bunch of artifacts already, only one of which still being somewhat useful today, and she's not even met all of them yet.

With a daedric axe. That's how.:smallamused:

Seerow
2012-01-17, 05:48 PM
There was a fly spell?

All I remember was the "Fortify acrobatics 100pts, Feather) combo that let you jump ten feet in the air.

I didn't play morrowind much, but one of the very first items I found was a scroll of fly, that fortified acrobatics by 1000pts. Using it then doing a running jump would get you halfway across the continent. Then kill you, because I was a level 1.

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-17, 05:51 PM
I didn't play morrowind much, but one of the very first items I found was a scroll of fly, that fortified acrobatics by 1000pts. Using it then doing a running jump would get you halfway across the continent. Then kill you, because I was a level 1.
That was usually the precise moment you wished you had a potion or enchanted accessory of Featherfall (which also doesn't exist in Skyrim as far as I know, to my dismay).

pffh
2012-01-17, 05:51 PM
There was a fly spell?

Weeeeeeell there was levitate and high athletics combo which allowed you to levitate pretty fast. Also the scrolls of icarian flight, that counts as flying. Now landing that's a whole other thing :smallbiggrin:

Muz
2012-01-17, 05:52 PM
Even so, you're taken up high in the sky at the end of a particular daedric quest, and that seemed to work fine. Why not just avoid flying over any particular large settlements too closely?

Beowulf DW
2012-01-17, 05:53 PM
I love this game so very much. I'd often get bored with Oblivion after maybe an hour or so, but not Skyrim. For a game that has no real Karma meter other than a bounty system, it puts you through some really compelling choices (the events in Markarth come to mind). Then there's the choice between the legion and the Stormcloaks. I went with the Stormcloaks even though I knew about Ulfric's...questionable morality and motivations (Being a Thalmor Manchurian Candidate didn't really help him case either). An Empire weak enough to abandon Talos doesn't deserve to be an Empire. Besides, it's mentioned that the Thalmor aren't very numerous, they just know where to strike and when. If they try to fight Skyrim and Hammerfell, they'll spread themselves too thin. Powerful as they may seem, they can't fight the rest of Tamriel and hope to win.

Also, I'm finding that the blacksmithing skill is my most useful skill. I'm at level 24 now, and my Skyforge sword (upgraded and enchanted) is still my best weapon. I've been cutting through my enemies like wheat for ten levels now. I can fight ten legion soldiers and their commanders, and not even get knocked down to half health.

druid91
2012-01-17, 06:00 PM
I love this game so very much. I'd often get bored with Oblivion after maybe an hour or so, but not Skyrim. For a game that has no real Karma meter other than a bounty system, it puts you through some really compelling choices (the events in Markarth come to mind). Then there's the choice between the legion and the Stormcloaks. I went with the Stormcloaks even though I knew about Ulfric's...questionable morality and motivations (Being a Thalmor Manchurian Candidate didn't really help him case either). An Empire weak enough to abandon Talos doesn't deserve to be an Empire. Besides, it's mentioned that the Thalmor aren't very numerous, they just know where to strike and when. If they try to fight Skyrim and Hammerfell, they'll spread themselves too thin. Powerful as they may seem, they can't fight the rest of Tamriel and hope to win.

Also, I'm finding that the blacksmithing skill is my most useful skill. I'm at level 24 now, and my Skyforge sword (upgraded and enchanted) is still my best weapon. I've been cutting through my enemies like wheat for ten levels now. I can fight ten legion soldiers and their commanders, and not even get knocked down to half health.

Heh, I was doing that at level 3.

Of course I was using archery to put poisoned arrows through their throats before they even knew where I was.

Deathbell + Nightshade= Win-poison.

LordShotGun
2012-01-17, 10:30 PM

Of course I was using archery to put poisoned arrows through their throats before they even knew where I was.

This is something I have been meaning to do badly. I have yet to use the alchemy system at all (mostly because I hate carrying 100+ pounds of ingredients) and want to get into using more poisons. My one hang up is that they only last for one strike and while for balancing reasons this makes sense (multi-strike paralysis poison come to mind) if you miss with your arrow or hit the wrong target then you just wasted a 300 gold poison.

Also I rarely have trouble with anything once past level 10 or so as I can enchant and carry, resist frost/fire equipment, thus making dragons trivial.

Beowulf DW
2012-01-17, 10:38 PM

Well, before that I was cutting through them like fruit. Slightly more difficult than wheat.

I haven't done the actual math, but I suspect that the weapon skills may actually get easier to level the higher that they get. Weapon skills level up based on the damage that you do with each strike, right? So if you get the perks that directly increase your damage, combined with the increase you get simply by leveling the skill...

Flickerdart
2012-01-17, 10:41 PM
On my new character, I decided to fool around, and so cast Mayhem during Roggvir's execution, looted the headsman's axe and went to wail on some guards with it. I was getting +2HW every other hit.

Seerow
2012-01-17, 11:13 PM
On my new character, I decided to fool around, and so cast Mayhem during Roggvir's execution, looted the headsman's axe and went to wail on some guards with it. I was getting +2HW every other hit.

Wait you can do that? I thought you had no character control during that.

edit: Just realized you probably meant the execution in Solitude, not the one at the start of the game.

druid91
2012-01-17, 11:24 PM
This is something I have been meaning to do badly. I have yet to use the alchemy system at all (mostly because I hate carrying 100+ pounds of ingredients) and want to get into using more poisons. My one hang up is that they only last for one strike and while for balancing reasons this makes sense (multi-strike paralysis poison come to mind) if you miss with your arrow or hit the wrong target then you just wasted a 300 gold poison.

Also I rarely have trouble with anything once past level 10 or so as I can enchant and carry, resist frost/fire equipment, thus making dragons trivial.

Well to be honest, poison that just kills people is cheap as dirt. Deathbell, Nightshade, and (Insert third kill-y ingredient of your choice here).

I have yet to actually pay for any of those. I just pick them. There are a few good locations for nightshade, and deathbell grows practically everywhere.

All you really need is the skill-ranks and perks to make it ungodly powerful.

And one of the perks actually makes poison last two attacks. How this works with a bow I have no idea.

Suedars
2012-01-17, 11:59 PM

It's pretty easy to end up with 50k+ gold and little to spend it on by midgame. Might as well spend it on poison.

Arcran
2012-01-18, 12:59 AM
It's pretty easy to end up with 50k+ gold and little to spend it on by midgame. Might as well spend it on poison.

Or houses. Houses are nice.

GoblinArchmage
2012-01-18, 02:10 AM

My Altmer Archmage also makes deals with all of the Daedra Lords, but for different reasons. He is much too arrogant to be afraid of them, and really he just wants their artifacts to help him in his endless quest to increase his own power. He figures that he doesn't have to worry about anybody getting his soul, as he doesn't plan on ever dying.

t209
2012-01-18, 02:15 AM
I made myself look like Redguardxykon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0440.html)
On the arab dudes in Redguard women mission! Then I reloaded to the arab dudes and snitch on the lady!

The Endbringer Xaraphim
2012-01-18, 02:38 AM

Money is irrelevant in a single player game. You will eventually get to a point (whether through Enchanting, Alchemy, Smithing or a combination of all three) where you literally have more money than you know what to do with.

Even if you just go about adventuring, purposefully avoiding the craft skills, you will reach a point where you no longer need to buy gear. At that point, 300 gold will matter little to you.

Here's some advice to help you economize your poisons, however.

1) Try to always strike from ambush, especially with a bow. Wait until your target pauses, then nail him. This greatly increases your odds of hitting, since you don't need to lead your target.

2) Consider investing in the archery perk that lets you zoom in (Eagle Eye, requires Overdraw 1 and Archery 30). It costs stamina to use, but it's nice.

3) There is an alchemy perk that lets you get two hits with a poisoned weapon before dissipating (Concentrated Poison, requires Alchemist 1, Poisoner and Alchemy 60). It's a little expensive, but if you really like poisons, you should consider it. Also, that brings me to 4.

4) Invest in Alchemy. It will make poisons much cheaper to acquire, and they will be more effective than store-bought potions pretty early on.

pffh
2012-01-18, 03:31 AM
Or houses. Houses are nice.

You will still end up with more money then sense. I have all the houses fully upgraded, three chests filled with several hundred thousand worth of stuff (I don't sell gems, dragon bones/scales, interesting items, soulgems and other various stuff) and I STILL have over 300k gold.

Valaqil
2012-01-18, 09:27 AM
You will still end up with more money then sense. I have all the houses fully upgraded, three chests filled with several hundred thousand worth of stuff (I don't sell gems, dragon bones/scales, interesting items, soulgems and other various stuff) and I STILL have over 300k gold.

What? I'd love to know how. After playing for seventy hours, completing half of the major quest lines and getting Enchanting / Smithing to 100, I didn't even break 100k on my main character in this game. I've never bought and fully upgraded more than one house. Now, I haven't _set out_ to make money, specifically using crafting to turn a profit, but random adventuring has never yielded that much for me and I made it to level 53 or so.

pffh
2012-01-18, 09:58 AM
What? I'd love to know how. After playing for seventy hours, completing half of the major quest lines and getting Enchanting / Smithing to 100, I didn't even break 100k on my main character in this game. I've never bought and fully upgraded more than one house. Now, I haven't _set out_ to make money, specifically using crafting to turn a profit, but random adventuring has never yielded that much for me and I made it to level 53 or so.

I've also never set out to make money. I usually fill my inventory after a dungeon or two and head to a house to dump what I want to keep and then hit a fence to sell the rest. This is usually around 200+/-20 weight units of stuff worth 100 or more per unit. Leveling alchemy has also made me a fair amount and I'm only up to 70 something (buy all the ingredients and sell potions until I have all the money back then turn all the ingredients into potions and head to the next alchemy vendor).

I think I broke 100k in my 20's, 200k little under 40 and 300k in my early 50's. I'm level 58 now and closing in on 400k but I've hardly bothered looting for several levels now (mostly take items I want to keep, gems and dragon bones/scales)

t209
2012-01-18, 10:21 AM
I've also never set out to make money. I usually fill my inventory after a dungeon or two and head to a house to dump what I want to keep and then hit a fence to sell the rest. This is usually around 200+/-20 weight units of stuff worth 100 or more per unit. Leveling alchemy has also made me a fair amount and I'm only up to 70 something (buy all the ingredients and sell potions until I have all the money back then turn all the ingredients into potions and head to the next alchemy vendor).

I think I broke 100k in my 20's, 200k little under 40 and 300k in my early 50's. I'm level 58 now and closing in on 400k but I've hardly bothered looting for several levels now (mostly take items I want to keep, gems and dragon bones/scales)

I think Bethesda should make a new DLC's too. (Mortgage, Rent, and Hot woodelf and khajiit women).

LordShotGun
2012-01-18, 10:41 AM
I think Bethesda should make a new DLC's too. (Mortgage, Rent, and Hot woodelf and khajiit women).

Well the last two can easily be taken care of with mods :smallwink:

Beowulf DW
2012-01-18, 12:07 PM
Speaking of valuables, what am I supposed to do with these "Unusual Gems" I keep finding?

pffh
2012-01-18, 12:08 PM
Speaking of valuables, what am I supposed to do with these "Unusual Gems" I keep finding?

There is a thieves guild quest to collect all 24 of them.

Thanatos 51-50
2012-01-18, 12:08 PM

Gather all 24 so they stack, then find a friend in Riften who might be interested in stolen gems.

t209
2012-01-18, 12:30 PM

a dude in Riften palace.

Valaqil
2012-01-18, 01:05 PM
I've also never set out to make money. I usually fill my inventory after a dungeon or two and head to a house to dump what I want to keep and then hit a fence to sell the rest. This is usually around 200+/-20 weight units of stuff worth 100 or more per unit.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that you had. I was just offering that I might not have done whatever you had, if it were anything "special".

And it looks like I haven't. It sounds like I may not loot quite as much as you did, and I never leveled Alchemy.

One quick point that the others didn't mention: One of the gems is found only during a single mission of the main quest, in a place to which you can't return afterwards. So, if you miss that gem, you can't ever collect all of them and complete the quest.
The gem / location that you could miss:
One of the gems is found in the Thalmor Embassy when you infiltrate it for the main quest.

Seharvepernfan
2012-01-18, 02:12 PM
So, is anyone else disappointed that you never get to kill Elenwen or destroy the Thalmor (the ones in skyrim anyway)? I was a bit surprised at how short the main quest was.

Triaxx
2012-01-18, 02:16 PM
While the gems are turned in in Riften, it's definitely not to a dude.

Seerow
2012-01-18, 02:20 PM
While the gems are turned in in Riften, it's definitely not to a dude.

There's a dude in riften who directs you to the thieve's guild if you have an unusual gem before joining them. But yeah it's Vex who actually gives the quest.

ObadiahtheSlim
2012-01-18, 03:09 PM
I'm hoping that the story will continue with the dragonborn starting up a 2nd line of dragonborn emperors who will reunite Tamriel. I mean cause I really want to stick it to the Thalmor. The darn knife ears want to unmake the world.

factotum
2012-01-18, 05:28 PM

Keep them--they're part of a Thieves' Guild quest.

Suedars
2012-01-18, 05:54 PM
Is there a console command to change your character's name? I know that there's the command to bring up the character appearance menu from the beginning of the game which would probably let you name yourself, but I've heard that using that through the console is pretty buggy, so if there's a more direct way to do it I'd prefer to do that.

Qwertystop
2012-01-18, 06:15 PM
Lucky... I found my first one on a Thieves Guild quest.

Morph Bark
2012-01-18, 06:52 PM
Is there a console command to change your character's name? I know that there's the command to bring up the character appearance menu from the beginning of the game which would probably let you name yourself, but I've heard that using that through the console is pretty buggy, so if there's a more direct way to do it I'd prefer to do that.

There's a console command to change your race. If you use that, they ask you if you want to change your name as well.

Lord Ruby34
2012-01-18, 07:03 PM
So, I was doing the quest A night to Remember and I got to the part with Ysolda, my wife. Yeah, that was awkward.

Suedars
2012-01-18, 07:11 PM
There's a console command to change your race. If you use that, they ask you if you want to change your name as well.

I know that, but I'm wondering if there's a command that just changes my name since using "showracemenu" causes me to lose my High Elf Fortify Magicka.

Science Officer
2012-01-18, 07:29 PM
I haven't played Skyrim, I just wanted to say that this thread title made me laugh a bunch. :smallbiggrin:

druid91
2012-01-18, 07:49 PM
So, I was doing the quest A night to Remember and I got to the part with Ysolda, my wife. Yeah, that was awkward.

Which reminds me, is there any way to... I don't know not turn a wife into a lifeless robot who hangs around the house all day?

It's kinda annoying me.

Qwertystop
2012-01-18, 08:27 PM
Which reminds me, is there any way to... I don't know not turn a wife into a lifeless robot who hangs around the house all day?

It's kinda annoying me.
Some partners can also be followers. You can ask those to come with you.

EDIT: On another note, I'm starting an Orc. My plan is to focus One-handed, Block, and Conjuration (bound weapons). Also, to craft whatever I can't summon.

Would something other than Orc have been a better choice?

druid91
2012-01-18, 08:37 PM

EDIT: On another note, I'm starting an Orc. My plan is to focus One-handed, Block, and Conjuration (bound weapons). Also, to craft whatever I can't summon.

And have them bitten in half by a dragon?!

Nope. They make me money and I can't get another one if they die.

What I want is some way to have them continue their old habits.

Bethesda really should have put in at least basic habits in different cities for spouses.

Ninja_Grand
2012-01-18, 08:50 PM
Hi!

Fun fact time. Did you know that by going thru a vampire den and 100 skeletons to get the Shout Elemental fury....It dosent work on enchanted weapons?:smallfurious:

Also im making a new Dragonborn now. What should I be?

Partof1
2012-01-18, 08:53 PM
Yeah, for Elemental Fury, I've decided to make a pair of bare daggers. THat would bring my total to 4 daggers on my person. The right stab for every occasion.

LordShotGun
2012-01-18, 11:45 PM

I have yet to use orc yet but if you are going into melee alot, orc probably have the second best racial power (right behind argonian's haha I'm practically immune to all damage for 60 seconds power)

t209
2012-01-19, 01:31 AM
I have yet to use orc yet but if you are going into melee alot, orc probably have the second best racial power (right behind argonian's haha I'm practically immune to all damage for 60 seconds power)

Me too, I am now a redguard with One hand, block, alteration and destruction.
(Back then, an orc with one handed, heavy Armor, and smithing.)

factotum
2012-01-19, 02:37 AM

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure a companion who is also a spouse becomes "essential" and thus can only be killed by the player character, so if you're not sloppy with your AoE you ought to be fine. (I heard some of them are a bit bugged in this respect, mind you, but saying an aspect of Skyrim is buggy is a bit like saying that parts of the ocean are wet :smallsmile:).

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-19, 02:53 AM

If you marry someone, they become semi-essential, meaning the only person in the game that can KILL them, are you.

Edit: Damn, I have been Nightingaled!

Morph Bark
2012-01-19, 03:30 AM
I know that, but I'm wondering if there's a command that just changes my name since using "showracemenu" causes me to lose my High Elf Fortify Magicka.

You know you could just switch your race back right after and keep the name, or even just keep the race but switch the name, right?

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-19, 03:53 AM
Human and elf enemies are the hardest in this game. Which makes sense, I guess... After all, if they level up like you do, and you can curb stomp giants and mammoths... they should be able to too.

Suedars
2012-01-19, 03:57 AM
You know you could just switch your race back right after and keep the name, or even just keep the race but switch the name, right?

Yes. Just bringing up the menu is bugged and causes you to lose all racial passives. I'm not touching anything in the race/appearance selector half of the menu.

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-19, 04:06 AM
Yes. Just bringing up the menu is bugged and causes you to lose all racial passives. I'm not touching anything in the race/appearance selector half of the menu.

Nitpick: Is the menu really bugged when what you are doing is using a cheat code? :smallsmile:

That said... I know the feeling; I restarted Skyrim twice because the name just felt... wrong.

Suedars
2012-01-19, 05:11 AM
Nitpick: Is the menu really bugged when what you are doing is using a cheat code? :smallsmile:

That said... I know the feeling; I restarted Skyrim twice because the name just felt... wrong.

Using the console to change a name isn't a cheat code. Even if it were, it would still be a bug if its use had unintended effects.

Triaxx
2012-01-19, 08:23 AM
Enchanted weapons don't work with elemental fury, but do say (Legendary) ones? I've found one word in 6-7 playthroughs, and that was by accident.

Qwertystop
2012-01-19, 08:41 AM
How many skills is it safe to put perk points into without spreading them too thin? I'll be using the No Perk Prerequisites mod for this character.

I'll focus on as many as possible of: One-handed, Block, Smithing, Enchanting, Conjuration (for Bound weapons and armor), and Alteration (for various buffs). How much of that is possible on one character? Is there anything else to be added to such a character?

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-01-19, 08:44 AM
Enchanted weapons don't work with elemental fury, but do say (Legendary) ones? I've found one word in 6-7 playthroughs, and that was by accident.

Yes. My current character beat down Alduin in around 8 hits of her legendary Deadric Swords. Thanks to Elemental Fury, it took about 2 seconds to get those 8 swings in :smallamused:

LordShotGun
2012-01-19, 08:58 AM
How many skills is it safe to put perk points into without spreading them too thin? I'll be using the No Perk Prerequisites mod for this character.

I'll focus on as many as possible of: One-handed, Block, Smithing, Enchanting, Conjuration (for Bound weapons and armor), and Alteration (for various buffs). How much of that is possible on one character? Is there anything else to be added to such a character?

I believe the average level before starting a new character is around the 40-50 mark, so figure you got that many perks. Realistically, if you want to actually PLAY the game with your perks actually doing something you have 20 to MAYBE 30 perks.

If you want the percentage based power increases on most of the skills you listed, that's like 20 perks right there.

Flickerdart
2012-01-19, 09:24 AM
Does Elemental Fury work on Unarmed?

Moonshadow
2012-01-19, 09:45 AM
Does Elemental Fury work on Unarmed?

No, and you have no idea how unhappy this makes me :smallfrown:

Sir Enigma
2012-01-19, 10:28 AM
So, one more question: if I'm going Heavy Armor+Smithing+Enchanting, don't want to put any armor-improving enchantments on, and plan to go up to ebony/daedric armor, how many perk points in Juggernaut do I actually need to hit the armor cap? (I have Ignore Prerequisites, so I won't be taking the matched set perks). If I can, I'd like to free up some to spread to other areas.

EDIT: I also read somewhere that, due to a bug, Deflect Arrows perk makes you always block for the maximum amount, making all other blocking perks irrelevant - true?

slugboy_73
2012-01-19, 10:28 AM
Just finished the Legion questline, and the sideways power attack was amazing. Managed to take down five Stormcloaks with one swing at one point.

How do you get the sideways attack to work? Do you actually have to move your mouse in a sideways motion? I have that perk have never been able to get it to work. It would have been nice against those clumps of Stormcloak troopers instead of pile-driving them individually.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-01-19, 10:30 AM
So, one more question: if I'm going Heavy Armor+Smithing+Enchanting, don't want to put any armor-improving enchantments on, and plan to go up to ebony/daedric armor, how many perk points in Juggernaut do I actually need to hit the armor cap? (I have Ignore Prerequisites, so I won't be taking the matched set perks). If I can, I'd like to free up some to spread to other areas.

According to this build (http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/group/character-building/forum/topics/character-build-utopian-level-81-1st-edit) which centers around taking only the bare minimum for perks and using equipment to cover the rest, the answer is one.

Triaxx
2012-01-19, 11:01 AM
Not the mouse, but the A/D keys to move side to side. It actually requires a perk, but basically release a power attack going left or right.

enderlord99
2012-01-19, 12:08 PM
I have some trivia riddle thingies!

I was fighting alongside a wild ice wolf. Who were we fighting against?

A thief gave me money in a randomized event. What armor was I wearing?

A strange man mentioned Minecraft's Sky Limit (or at least it could be interpreted that way). What was his name?

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-01-19, 12:10 PM
A thief gave me money in a randomized event. What armor was I wearing?

Guild Master Armor. :smallbiggrin:

enderlord99
2012-01-19, 12:32 PM
Guild Master Armor. :smallbiggrin:

Nightingale armor, actually (and not even a full set). But you're close enough!:smallsmile:

Yana
2012-01-19, 12:35 PM
Just so I don't spend the rest of eternity looking, is there an enchant for Fortify Enchant, or do I just have to make do with Alchemy?

Divayth Fyr
2012-01-19, 12:45 PM
Just so I don't spend the rest of eternity looking, is there an enchant for Fortify Enchant, or do I just have to make do with Alchemy?
There are none - having loops with two skills is bad enough, they don't need to make a single skill loop ;)

Morph Bark
2012-01-19, 12:48 PM
Well, there's always Restoration...

t209
2012-01-19, 03:36 PM
No, and you have no idea how unhappy this makes me :smallfrown:

because it would make Skyrim Version of this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ZeD40Rg8A)

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-01-19, 09:07 PM
I've come to realize that I've got a problem when it comes to Elder Scrolls games: I'll get to a certain point and decide I want to start again with a different character. It doesn't matter what kind or what style they use, I have played through the intro of the game probably 30 times by now with a different character each time, then abandoning them after killing the dragon in Kynesgrove as part of the Main Quest.

What can I do to make myself commit to a character all the way through?

Qwertystop
2012-01-19, 09:13 PM
I'm using the Nexus Mod Manager to install mods. It started crashing right after I log in. I haven't opened Skyrim since, because I don't want to risk it. This started happening immediately after the power cord for the computer got kicked (unplugging the computer) while downloading an HD texture mod.
Log file:
Trace file has been created: TraceLog20120119210713.txt
Mod Manager Version: 0.13.1.0
OS version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Installed .NET Versions:
CDF SP 0
v2.0.50727 SP 2
v3.0 SP 2
v3.5 SP 1
v4 SP 0
Tracing is forced: False

Discovering Game Mode Factories...
Looking in: C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes
Checking: Fallout3.CSharpScript.dll
Cannot load C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes\Fallout3.CSharpScript.dll: cannot find dependency CSharpScript, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Checking: Fallout3.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.Games.Fallout3.Fallout3GameModeFactor y
Checking: Fallout3.XmlScript.dll
Cannot load C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes\Fallout3.XmlScript.dll: cannot find dependency XmlScript, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Checking: FalloutNV.CSharpScript.dll
Cannot load C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes\FalloutNV.CSharpScript.dll: cannot find dependency CSharpScript, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Checking: FalloutNV.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.Games.FalloutNV.FalloutNVGameModeFact ory
Checking: FalloutNV.XmlScript.dll
Cannot load C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes\FalloutNV.XmlScript.dll: cannot find dependency XmlScript, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Checking: GamebryoBase.dll
Checking: Oblivion.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.Games.Oblivion.OblivionGameModeFactor y
Checking: Oblivion.ModScript.dll
Cannot load C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes\Oblivion.ModScript.dll: cannot find dependency ModScript, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Checking: Skyrim.CSharpScript.dll
Cannot load C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes\Skyrim.CSharpScript.dll: cannot find dependency CSharpScript, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Checking: Skyrim.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.Games.Skyrim.SkyrimGameModeFactory
Checking: Skyrim.XmlScript.dll
Cannot load C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes\Skyrim.XmlScript.dll: cannot find dependency XmlScript, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Determining Game Mode: (From Command line: skyrim) skyrim
Game Mode Factory Selected: Skyrim (Skyrim)
Creating Game Mode mutex.
Looking for Skyrim.
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim
Game Mode Built: Skyrim (Skyrim)
Installation Path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim
Install Info Path: c:\Games\Skyrim\Install Info
Mod Path: c:\Games\Skyrim\mods
Mod Cache Path: c:\Games\Skyrim\mods\cache
Mod Download Cache: c:\Games\Skyrim\mods\downloads
Overwrite Path: c:\Games\Skyrim\Install Info\overwrites
Scanning for read-only files...
Initializing Mod Repository...
Registering supported Script Types...
Discovering Script Types...
Discovering Generic Script Types...
Looking in: C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\ScriptTypes
Checking: Antlr3-2.Runtime.DotNet20.dll
Checking: Antlr3.Runtime.dll
Checking: AntlrUtil.dll
Checking: CSharpScript.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.ModManagement.Scripting.CSharpScript. CSharpScriptType
Checking: ModScript.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.ModManagement.Scripting.ModScript.Mod ScriptType
Checking: XmlScript.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.ModManagement.Scripting.XmlScript.Xml ScriptType
Discovering Game Mode Specific Script Types...
Looking in: C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes
Checking: Skyrim.CSharpScript.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.Games.Skyrim.Scripting.CSharpScript.S kyrimCSharpScriptType
Checking: Skyrim.XmlScript.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.Games.Skyrim.Scripting.XmlScript.Skyr imXmlScriptType
Found 3 script types.
Registering supported mod formats...
Discovering Mod Formats...
Looking in: C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\ModFormats
Checking: FOMod.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.Mods.Formats.FOMod.FOModFormat
Checking: OMod.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.Mods.Formats.OMod.OModFormat
Found 2 formats.
Finding managed mods...
Discovering Managed Mods...
Looking in: c:\Games\Skyrim\mods
Found: c:\Games\Skyrim\mods\Dovahkiinhideout0_2_9-6032.rar
Registered.
Found: c:\Games\Skyrim\mods\No_Perk_Prerequisites_v1_2-1943-1-2.rar
Registered.
Found: c:\Games\Skyrim\mods\Realistic_Running_Speed-1931-1-2-2.zip
Registered.
Found: c:\Games\Skyrim\mods\skse_1_04_03.7z
Registered.
Found: c:\Games\Skyrim\mods\SkyBoost_r3-6058-r3.zip
Registered.
Found: c:\Games\Skyrim\mods\SkyUI_2_0-3863-2-0.7z
Registered.
Found: c:\Games\Skyrim\mods\Vurts_Skyrim_Flora_Overhaul_v 107_Hi-Res_version-141-1-0-7.7z
Registered.
Found 7 managed mods.
Initializing Install Log...
Checking if upgrade is required...
Path: c:\Games\Skyrim\Install Info\InstallLog.xml
Loaded from XML.
Found Dummy Mod: ORIGINAL_VALUE...OK
Found Dovahkiinhideout0_2_9-6032.rar...OK
Found No_Perk_Prerequisites_v1_2-1943-1-2.rar...OK
Found skse_1_04_03.7z...OK
Found SkyUI_2_0-3863-2-0.7z...OK
Found Vurts_Skyrim_Flora_Overhaul_v107_Hi-Res_version-141-1-0-7.7z...OK
Found Realistic_Running_Speed-1931-1-2-2.zip...OK
Found SkyBoost_r3-6058-r3.zip...OK
Initializing Plugin Registry...
Discovering Managed Plugins...
Discovering Plugins...
Looking in: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Acquisiti ve Soul Gems.esp
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\basement. esp
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\No Perk Prereqs.esp
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Realistic Running Speed.esp
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\ValsCraft ingMeltdownAlpha.esp
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\basement. esm
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Skyrim.es m
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Update.es m
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Acquisiti ve Soul Gems.esp
Registered.
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\basement. esp
Registered.
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\No Perk Prereqs.esp
Registered.
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Realistic Running Speed.esp
Registered.
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\ValsCraft ingMeltdownAlpha.esp
Registered.
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\basement. esm
Registered.
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Skyrim.es m
Registered.
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Update.es m
Registered.
Found 8 managed plugins.
Initializing Active Plugin Log...
Initializing Plugin Order Log...
Loading Plugin Order...
Deserializing Plugin Load Order from: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data
Deserializing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Skyrim.es m
Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Skyrim.es m (IsNull=False)
Deserializing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Update.es m
Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Update.es m (IsNull=False)
Deserializing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\basement. esm
Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\basement. esm (IsNull=False)
Deserializing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\ValsCraft ingMeltdownAlpha.esp
Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\ValsCraft ingMeltdownAlpha.esp (IsNull=False)
Deserializing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Acquisiti ve Soul Gems.esp
Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Acquisiti ve Soul Gems.esp (IsNull=False)
Deserializing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\basement. esp
Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\basement. esp (IsNull=False)
Deserializing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\No Perk Prereqs.esp
Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\No Perk Prereqs.esp (IsNull=False)
Deserializing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Realistic Running Speed.esp
Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Realistic Running Speed.esp (IsNull=False)
Initializing Plugin Manager...
Initializing Activity Monitor...
Initializing Mod Manager...
Initializing Update Manager...
Upgrading replaced Mods...
Uninstalling missing Mods...
Loading mods that are queued to be added.
[nxm://skyrim/mods/607/files/18394] Adding from serialized queue
[nxm://skyrim/mods/607/files/18394] Adding Mod to AddModQueue
[nxm://skyrim/mods/607/files/18394] Starting Add Mod Task.
[nxm://skyrim/mods/607/files/18394] Downloading Files.
[nxm://skyrim/mods/607/files/18394] Launching downloading of http://fs2.skyrimnexus.com/dt.php?file=Skyrim HD v1_3 FULL-607.7z&domain=skyrimnexus.com.
[http://fs2.skyrimnexus.com/dt.php?file=Skyrim HD v1_3 FULL-607.7z&domain=skyrimnexus.com] Retreiving metadata.
[http://fs2.skyrimnexus.com/dt.php?file=Skyrim HD v1_3 FULL-607.7z&domain=skyrimnexus.com] Downloading.

Tracing an Unhandled Exception:
Exception:
Full Trace:
System.FormatException: is not in the correct format (#-#)
at Nexus.Client.Util.Downloader.FileWriter..ctor(Stri ng p_strFilePath, String p_strFileMetadataPath)
at Nexus.Client.Util.Downloader.FileDownloader.StartD ownload()
at Nexus.Client.DownloadManagement.FileDownloadTask.D ownloadAsync(Uri p_uriURL, Dictionary`2 p_dicCookies, String p_strSavePath, Boolean p_booUseDefaultFileName)
at Nexus.Client.ModManagement.AddModTask.DownloadFile s(List`1 p_lstFiles)
at Nexus.Client.ModManagement.ModManager.AddModQueue. AddMod(Uri p_uriPath, ConfirmOverwriteCallback p_cocConfirmOverwrite)
at Nexus.Client.ModManagement.ModManager.AddModQueue. LoadQueuedMods()
at Nexus.Client.ApplicationInitializer.DoApplicationI nitialize(IGameModeFactory p_gmfGameModeFactory, SynchronizationContext p_scxUIContext, ViewMessage& p_vwmErrorMessage)
at Nexus.Client.ApplicationInitializer.DoWork(Object[] p_objArgs)
at Nexus.Client.ThreadedBackgroundTask.RunThreadedWor k(Object p_objArgs)
at Nexus.Client.ThreadedBackgroundTask.RunThread(Obje ct p_objArgs)
at Nexus.Client.Util.Threading.TrackedThread.RunParam eterizedThread(Object p_objParam)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionCon text executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)

Help?

Partof1
2012-01-19, 09:26 PM
I've come to realize that I've got a problem when it comes to Elder Scrolls games: I'll get to a certain point and decide I want to start again with a different character. It doesn't matter what kind or what style they use, I have played through the intro of the game probably 30 times by now with a different character each time, then abandoning them after killing the dragon in Kynesgrove as part of the Main Quest.

Well, I completely switched around what I was doing with my character about 20 or so levels in, and worked out okay.

When making your character, just don't think about it. Pick up a weapon that you enjoy murdering with, and run with it. Go with gut instinct, and whatever looks most badass.

Qwertystop
2012-01-19, 09:36 PM

If you're on PC and your race is good enough, use console commands to change your perks.

Don't delete your older characters. Keep a list of character names and quick descriptions of what they specialize in. If you decide you want to go back to a style you've used before, go back to the same character.

Lappy9001
2012-01-19, 10:38 PM
That awkward moment when, between the Forsworn attacking you, the Forsworn attacking the town, and your inability to side with a cabal of cannibals...you just may have murdered about half of Markarth's population :smalleek:

The place does seem a little nicer, though....

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-19, 11:18 PM

Listen to yourself and your experience. The main reason I started a female sneak character from the beginning was that I realized I have played a sneak character in the last three games: Oblivion, FO3 and FO:NV, and a female character in two of them (the fallout games).

I have only restarted once after playing past lvl 3, and that was for other reasons (I realized I had screwed some things up and knew the consle commands to fix it would screw up racial abilities etc).

Anteros
2012-01-19, 11:53 PM

You could try playing it like a roguelike and deleting each character as they die.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-01-20, 12:01 AM
The thing is that in most of these kinds of games, I've always played a bit of a dabbler, a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none (or master of all if with enough grinding I can max out all my skills). So I base my decisions on what I think looks cool and what will have the most utility, and the problem with Skyrim is that there are so MANY things that look cool in it, and virtually everything could be considered useful in some situation, so I end up restarting because I decide I want to see how something else would look because my definition of what looked cool changed after seeing a different picture on the wikis or on YouTube. :smallsigh:

Moonshadow
2012-01-20, 02:50 AM
because it would make Skyrim Version of this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ZeD40Rg8A)

I fail to see the problem with this :V

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-20, 02:53 AM
The thing is that in most of these kinds of games, I've always played a bit of a dabbler, a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none (or master of all if with enough grinding I can max out all my skills). So I base my decisions on what I think looks cool and what will have the most utility, and the problem with Skyrim is that there are so MANY things that look cool in it, and virtually everything could be considered useful in some situation, so I end up restarting because I decide I want to see how something else would look because my definition of what looked cool changed after seeing a different picture on the wikis or on YouTube. :smallsigh:

The thing with Skyrim though is that the important thing is how you play, since your skills are leveled up the way they are. I don't really see the need of restarting except for the Race / Gender issue unless you halfway through starts changing playing style completely and have placed 20 perks already.

The way you describe your playing style that problem seems unlikely, if you truly play a Jack of all Trades. You have to remember that this is a single player game; you do not have to MIN-MAX a character to be competitive; builds are fleeting at best, quite frankly you don't need to focus on specific builds at all (never mind all those screaming that you are an idiot for not grinding Smithy and Enchantment from the beginning!). As long as you are not a complete moron and for example insisits on not putting ANY perks in a combat skill, or to continue to put perks in 2Handed when you constantly use 1Handed + Spell, for example... As long as you can defeat your enemies, you are doing it right.

Play, and go with the flow.

(This is more of a problem for my replay though, since I think I will have a hard time NOT repeating the same character since this is the playing style that came natural to me).

Speaking of 2-handed...
Someone stole the Ebony Blade!
I took it and placed it on a weapon plac in my basement in Riften; it looked really good with the Dawnbreaker above it on another plac. But next time I visited my house, I met a guard walking out of it, and the sword was gone. Did he take it? Did it just disappear?

Oh and I have started the Civil War questline. Die Traitors Die!! :smallbiggrin:

super dark33
2012-01-20, 06:29 AM
Well, i dont have skyrim (yet), so tell me, can you make left-handed charecters? like a sheild in right hand and weapon in the left hand? or is it only accesisable throgh dual-weilding?

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-20, 06:34 AM
Well, i dont have skyrim (yet), so tell me, can you make left-handed charecters? like a sheild in right hand and weapon in the left hand? or is it only accesisable throgh dual-weilding?

You can, but you don't get the finishing moves if you do (It also seems the attack speed is slightly slower, but it might just be the animation that makes it look so?). You can also not wield a shield, since that can only be equipped on your left arm.

Dhavaer
2012-01-20, 06:56 AM
You can, but you don't get the finishing moves if you do (It also seems the attack speed is slightly slower, but it might just be the animation that makes it look so?). You can also not wield a shield, since that can only be equipped on your left arm.

Attacks with the left hand really are slower. Casting time stays the same, though.

LordShotGun
2012-01-20, 07:09 AM
Speaking of 2-handed...
Someone stole the Ebony Blade!
I took it and placed it on a weapon plac in my basement in Riften; it looked really good with the Dawnbreaker above it on another plac. But next time I visited my house, I met a guard walking out of it, and the sword was gone. Did he take it? Did it just disappear?

Look on your floor. The ebony blade has some sort of bug that makes it jump off weapon racks.

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-20, 07:14 AM
Look on your floor. The ebony blade has some sort of bug that makes it jump off weapon racks.

Damn. Okay, I guess I have to put it in my wardrobe then.

I am thinking of moving Dawnbreaker up to the one above our bed anyway; it provides great mood lighting for um... stuff. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

(I have to talk to Mjoll first of course; see if she is okay with moving Grimsever to one of the weapon placs downstairs :smallwink:)

Gullintanni
2012-01-20, 07:46 AM
Damn. Okay, I guess I have to put it in my wardrobe then.

I am thinking of moving Dawnbreaker up to the one above our bed anyway; it provides great mood lighting for um... stuff. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

(I have to talk to Mjoll first of course; see if she is okay with moving Grimsever to one of the weapon placs downstairs :smallwink:)

I find Dawnbreaker and the Nightingale Blade look pretty nice together, if Mjoll objects :smallwink:

Plus together the blades kind of rock the Dusk and Dawn motif. Odd that the gifts of Meridia and the gifts of Nocturnal when carried together seem to represent best Azura :smalltongue:

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-20, 07:57 AM
I find Dawnbreaker and the Nightingale Blade look pretty nice together, if Mjoll objects :smallwink:

Plus together the blades kind of rock the Dusk and Dawn motif. Odd that the gifts of Meridia and the gifts of Nocturnal when carried together seem to represent best Azura :smalltongue:

Speaking of that... how good is Mjoll with Sword and Board? I keep carrying the Nightingale Blade but I use the Blade of Woe 90% of the time I use melee (basically only sneak attacks).

Gullintanni
2012-01-20, 08:19 AM
Speaking of that... how good is Mjoll with Sword and Board? I keep carrying the Nightingale Blade but I use the Blade of Woe 90% of the time I use melee (basically only sneak attacks).

Not sure. If you're on the PC though, you can check your follower's skills by clicking on your target (Mjoll) and typing GetAV "skill" where skill will be either Onehanded, Twohanded and Block.

I'd assume Mjoll would be decent though, given that Grimsever is (iirc) a One Handed glass sword.

ZeltArruin
2012-01-20, 08:59 AM
That awkward moment when, between the Forsworn attacking you, the Forsworn attacking the town, and your inability to side with a cabal of cannibals...you just may have murdered about half of Markarth's population :smalleek:

The place does seem a little nicer, though....

More like that awkward moment when you decide to kill the Forsworn big-hat because you didn't intend to let some forsworn rampage through Markarth when you were trying to escape from prison. Then everyone whispers about how you are a forsworn, despite dragging said big-hat around with you, yelling about how you killed him.

That or I didn't know any other way out of jail.

Valaqil
2012-01-20, 09:31 AM
More like that awkward moment when you decide to kill the Forsworn big-hat because you didn't intend to let some forsworn rampage through Markarth when you were trying to escape from prison. Then everyone whispers about how you are a forsworn, despite dragging said big-hat around with you, yelling about how you killed him.

That or I didn't know any other way out of jail.

I really didn't like that quest. It was very interesting to play detective and a neat turn of events when you find yourself there. The first two-thirds were good to great, but that last bit annoyed me. Why? You can't use any of your skills to break out and everyone thinks you've joined the Forsworn at the end. I've now slaughtered dozens of Forsworn up and down the west coast but I still get nervously asked if I've joined them when I'm heading home to Markarth. :(

I feel like they should have added at least three, maybe several, methods to get out of prison besides the rest of the quest line. If I just want to get out, I should be able to use my magic, sneaking, fighting, whatever.

Thanatos 51-50
2012-01-20, 10:02 AM
I really didn't like that quest. It was very interesting to play detective and a neat turn of events when you find yourself there. The first two-thirds were good to great, but that last bit annoyed me. Why? You can't use any of your skills to break out and everyone thinks you've joined the Forsworn at the end. I've now slaughtered dozens of Forsworn up and down the west coast but I still get nervously asked if I've joined them when I'm heading home to Markarth. :(

I feel like they should have added at least three, maybe several, methods to get out of prison besides the rest of the quest line. If I just want to get out, I should be able to use my magic, sneaking, fighting, whatever.

Technically, you can butcher Madanach as he's in his cell, and take the note revealing the escape route, as well as the key to it from his corpse.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-01-20, 10:04 AM
The thing with Skyrim though is that the important thing is how you play, since your skills are leveled up the way they are. I don't really see the need of restarting except for the Race / Gender issue unless you halfway through starts changing playing style completely and have placed 20 perks already.

That's exactly the problem. I'll start playing one-handed and then suddenly decide I want to go two-handed, or I'll start with heavy armor and decide Glass looks cooler. :smallsigh:

Weezer
2012-01-20, 10:27 AM
That's exactly the problem. I'll start playing one-handed and then suddenly decide I want to go two-handed, or I'll start with heavy armor and decide Glass looks cooler. :smallsigh:

So then just switch. It's not like the game is hard enough that you need to specialize in one thing from the first moment of the game to stay relevant. If you start favoring glass armor, why not just wear it?

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-01-20, 10:39 AM
So then just switch. It's not like the game is hard enough that you need to specialize in one thing from the first moment of the game to stay relevant. If you start favoring glass armor, why not just wear it?

This, definitely.

I went into the game having no idea what I was going to play. I dabbled in shields, alteration and two-handed until I settled on dual-wield+archery+sneak build. I have around 5-8 'wasted' perks that I haven't bothered moving around. I still one-shot Giants and basically ignore all damage. I rarely bother sneaking at this point. Slows me down. :smalltongue:

Point is, it's not like the game requires much in the way of min-maxing and as long as you're packing Smithing and Enchanting you can do whatever, change your mind halfway through and then do something else just fine.

pffh
2012-01-20, 10:44 AM

There are several methods you can:
Talk to the guy and help him escape
You can kill him and take the key and the note and escape
You can pickpocket the key and the note and escape

Just because they don't explicitly tell you that you can do these things they can all still be done.

Gullintanni
2012-01-20, 10:48 AM

Just because they don't explicitly tell you that you can do these things they can all still be done.

In fact, you get a different quest reward for killing him. Which is what I did. Forsworn've killed me too many times for me to let him live. :smallmad:

Death to the Forsworn!

Tono
2012-01-20, 10:51 AM
The only problem I have with 'you can kill him' is I know when I did the quest, the thought never occurred to me because a key or a route was never mentioned(IIRC) and if anybody is a quest giver or important killing them is the last thing that crosses my mind. Mostly because I've tried several times to kill 'important' NPCs that ticked me off and it never. works. so when I run into one now, i just don't think of it. There really doesn't ever seem to be a 'kill' him option until after you've done it. At least for me.

pffh
2012-01-20, 11:02 AM
The only problem I have with 'you can kill him' is I know when I did the quest, the thought never occurred to me because a key or a route was never mentioned(IIRC) and if anybody is a quest giver or important killing them is the last thing that crosses my mind. Mostly because I've tried several times to kill 'important' NPCs that ticked me off and it never. works. so when I run into one now, i just don't think of it. There really doesn't ever seem to be a 'kill' him option until after you've done it. At least for me.

I was actually quite surprised that I could talk to him and escape with him. I had expected him to fight me a soon as he saw me (it's why I sneaked up to him and saw that I could also pickpocket the key to the door that's marked something like "Escape tunnel: Requires a key")

ZeltArruin
2012-01-20, 11:21 AM

When? The second time I went to do this quest, I tried that immediately, but he didn't have a key or note.

t209
2012-01-20, 12:02 PM
Do you guys know that
Redguards are equivalent of Sapphire Guard since they stage a Orc Genocide when they land in Hammerfell.
Redguard: Taste my shield and blade, Greenskin.
Is it true that Orsinium (Elderscrolls Orc version of Gobbotopia) was razed?
Unfortunately, I played as an orc then a redguard in skyrim.

ObadiahtheSlim
2012-01-20, 12:26 PM
Not exactly. The Redguards live in Hammerfell while Orsinium is in High Rock. However the Redguards did displace some orcs when they landed in Sentinel and continued to be kinda hostile with them. It's wasn't until after the Warp of the West did they really become an accepted part of the empire. Still the rebuild Orsinium wasn't trusted and IIRC, it was sacked in the 4th age and thats why we have the Orc strongholds in Skyrim.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-01-20, 12:38 PM

Because I put perks in Heavy Armor.

t209
2012-01-20, 12:41 PM
Not exactly. The Redguards live in Hammerfell while Orsinium is in High Rock. However the Redguards did displace some orcs when they landed in Sentinel and continued to be kinda hostile with them. It's wasn't until after the Warp of the West did they really become an accepted part of the empire. Still the rebuild Orsinium wasn't trusted and IIRC, it was sacked in the 4th age and thats why we have the Orc strongholds in Skyrim.

But Hadvar said that (as an orc) my remains will be sent to Orsinium as an apology. And the orcs said that they live in skyrim since the first era.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-01-20, 12:46 PM
Because I put perks in Heavy Armor.

Big deal. :smalltongue:

Unless you're level 25 or something you've still got plenty of perks waiting to be spent. Just stop spend your next few points in Light Armor. The game is not hard enough that you really need to optimise. Just grind Smithing a bit if you feel you're falling behind the power curve.

ObadiahtheSlim
2012-01-20, 12:55 PM
But Hadvar said that (as an orc) my remains will be sent to Orsinium as an apology. And the orcs said that they live in skyrim since the first era.

Well there are Orcs still living in Orsinium and Orcs have also been living in Skyrim since the original Orsinium fell in the 1st era. I could be mistaken in my recolection of the Orsinium being sacked in the 4th E.

Valaqil
2012-01-20, 12:57 PM
The only problem I have with 'you can kill him' is I know when I did the quest, the thought never occurred to me because a key or a route was never mentioned(IIRC) and if anybody is a quest giver or important killing them is the last thing that crosses my mind. Mostly because I've tried several times to kill 'important' NPCs that ticked me off and it never. works. so when I run into one now, i just don't think of it.

When? The second time I went to do this quest, I tried that immediately, but he didn't have a key or note.

What they said. Quest givers are often essential, or semi-essential. I did try to pickpocket him before I ever spoke to him the first time. He had nothing on him worth taking. If you can pickpocket / kill your way out, that's news to me. Killing didn't cross my mind and theft didn't appear to be an option.

Raistlin1040
2012-01-20, 01:25 PM
My plan was to escape with the Forsworn guy and then kill him after getting my reward from him, in order to get both rewards. However, after they all got their weapons and armor, I couldn't take all of them anymore, so I reset and just wolf'd out in the prison and ripped him apart.

ObadiahtheSlim
2012-01-20, 01:59 PM
My plan was to escape with the Forsworn guy and then kill him after getting my reward from him, in order to get both rewards. However, after they all got their weapons and armor, I couldn't take all of them anymore, so I reset and just wolf'd out in the prison and ripped him apart.

I had the opposite problem on my mage toon. I couldn't kill them without my gear. I was just too squishy and ran out of magicka too soon. Once I had my stuff killing them wasn't too hard.

Gullintanni
2012-01-20, 02:02 PM
...and just wolf'd out in the prison and ripped him apart.

The mental picture is fantastic. Note to self: Become a werewolf before I run that quest again.

Arcran
2012-01-20, 02:58 PM
Alright, I have a new plan for a build: A non-bow Assassin. Just for fun.
Khajiit
Thief Stone (At least to start)
Stealth
One Handed
Light Armor
Illusion
Alteration
Alchemy
Lockpicking/Pickpocket (Not to many perks here)
And of course Enchanting/Smithing eventually.
Viability? Plan is to use Illusion to get close, maybe soften up the baddies a bit, massive dagger damage and if things go bad and I get detected, quick armor boost from Alteration then go crazy with dual swords.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-01-20, 03:00 PM
It adds a whole new level of irony to the quest too!
Madanach: So, the Nords have caged you and turned you into an animal...

Dovahkiin: You don't even know the half of it!

*transforms into a werewolf and knocks Madanach's off with one swipe of a paw!*

Maxios
2012-01-20, 03:24 PM
So, I created a new character last night: a morally ambigous thief. And by morally ambigous, I mean so far I've whacked seven non-hostile NPCs for various reasons:
Torturer: Wanted his dagger.
Torturer's Assistant: Was actually an accident.
Sven: Cast Fury to see what would happen
Faendal: Cast Fury; wanted to get all the pelts and what not in his house.
Two NPCs whose names I forgot: Cast fury on both, whacked the victor to freely take a bunch of stuff from a house with no chance of detection.

enderlord99
2012-01-20, 03:28 PM
Okay since 2 of my riddle-thingumabobs haven't been answered, I'll reveal them now:

The ice wolf and I were fighting a dragon. Apparently ice wolves don't like dragons, seeing as it actually happened twice.

The person who mentioned the Minecraft Sky-Limit was Septimus Sigmus "when the top level was built, no more could be placed..."

LordShotGun
2012-01-20, 03:47 PM
So, I created a new character last night: a morally ambigous thief. And by morally ambigous, I mean so far I've whacked seven non-hostile NPCs for various reasons:
Torturer: Wanted his dagger.
Torturer's Assistant: Was actually an accident.
Sven: Cast Fury to see what would happen
Faendal: Cast Fury; wanted to get all the pelts and what not in his house.
Two NPCs whose names I forgot: Cast fury on both, whacked the victor to freely take a bunch of stuff from a house with no chance of detection.

Ah, now that it something I need to try again. I have yet to really use illusion and as such never touched fury in skyrim (I did love using it in oblivion though).

Lappy9001
2012-01-20, 04:26 PM
The only problem I have with 'you can kill him' is I know when I did the quest, the thought never occurred to me because a key or a route was never mentioned(IIRC) and if anybody is a quest giver or important killing them is the last thing that crosses my mind. Mostly because I've tried several times to kill 'important' NPCs that ticked me off and it never. works. so when I run into one now, i just don't think of it. There really doesn't ever seem to be a 'kill' him option until after you've done it. At least for me.Yeah, I didn't see any key on him when I checked his pockets; just the note. Wasn't in his room either. Forsworn are creeps (and freakin' insane), so I really didn't want to side with them, but I really didn't think there was another choice.

It adds a whole new level of irony to the quest too!
Madanach: So, the Nords have caged you and turned you into an animal...

Dovahkiin: You don't even know the half of it!

*transforms into a werewolf and knocks Madanach's off with one swipe of a paw!*Heh, I wish :smalltongue:

druid91
2012-01-20, 06:23 PM
Actually that whole quest annoyed me, and thus I have a question.

If I disintegrate the gaurds who try to throw me in cidna mine, and then raid cidna mine, can I just kill my way through, open the gates and then kill everyone before leaving?

Starbuck_II
2012-01-20, 06:34 PM
Lydia just diappeared on me. :smallsigh:
I told her to wait after 3 reloads killed some enemies (I was using "lead to trap" technique and didn't want her hit by it). I went to check, she wasn't there. I hope she is back at my house, but haven't finished dungeon yet so I don't know.

druid91
2012-01-20, 07:14 PM
And this is why I don't use non disposable followers.

Every single time... something horrific happens.

Kharja? We fought Alduin, killed countless bandits... and then in the middle of a dragon fight he runs in front of me, gets an arrow in the back...

He then goes nuts kills the dragon and tries to murder me, only to be stopped by the multitude of riften gaurds swarming him for me... and he just won't die because I made him my follower once....

Brelyna? Vanished. Thin air. Never found her again, and eventually I stopped looking.

Faeldin, faeldun... Whatever his name is. Died.

Brother Verulus... Well... Nothing bad happened to Verulus. Well except almost being eaten but he wasn't so, no harm no foul right?

Cicero... Cicero is Cicero.... I doubt I need to explain why I sent him packing.

Mjoll the lioness? Her voice, and tendency to get me killed, irritated me so much I disintegrated her.

Really aside from Cicero, and Verulus, the only followers I've had that haven't met horrible ends (Or in the case of Kharja, becoming a horrifying unstoppable implacable man intent on killing me who simply WILL. NOT. DIE.:smallfurious::smalleek:) are the companions.

And they have a tendency of getting lost and showing up later. AFTER I've killed everything.

Also their tendency to travel around has almost had me blow their collective faces off more than once. They look like bandits...:smallredface:

Lord Ruby34
2012-01-20, 07:30 PM
So, can anyone tell me what the green snake thing in the statistics box of my sword means?

druid91
2012-01-20, 07:39 PM
So, can anyone tell me what the green snake thing in the statistics box of my sword means?

In the corner? That means it has a dose of poison on it... did you pick it up like that? Or just forget you poisoned it?

Lord Ruby34
2012-01-20, 07:56 PM
That would be me forgetting I poisoned it. I must have done that when I was getting rid of my giant stack of potions.

LordShotGun
2012-01-20, 08:12 PM
In the corner? That means it has a dose of poison on it... did you pick it up like that? Or just forget you poisoned it?

I do kinda wish enemies would use poison, particularly on the harder difficulties. The bandits certainly seem like the kinda cheap jerks that would use magicka poison on my mage.

The_Jackal
2012-01-20, 08:49 PM
Yeah, no followers, is my rule. Disposable or otherwise. The AI is just far too derpy to be tolerated, and I play this game like it's a thief sequel. I can see arguments early on to use a follower like a caddy, but once you get enchanting going, just carry a soul trappping weapon, a huge pile of soul gems, and make enchanted daggers when you hit town to fund your takeover of Skyrim.

If I disintegrate the gaurds who try to throw me in cidna mine, and then raid cidna mine, can I just kill my way through, open the gates and then kill everyone before leaving?

Yeah, they really don't do a good job of selling you on coming quietly. I personally think the whole bounty/capture mechanic in the game is implemented goofily. Wait, I attempted to poison the Emperor, but the only bounty I have is for the 3 ***** they sent to arrest me? What? In the real world, regicide, even attempted regicide, is punishable by being drawn and quartered. Paying a 1000 gold fine seems.... soft on crime.

druid91
2012-01-20, 09:05 PM
Yeah, no followers, is my rule. Disposable or otherwise. The AI is just far too derpy to be tolerated, and I play this game like it's a thief sequel. I can see arguments early on to use a follower like a caddy, but once you get enchanting going, just carry a soul trappping weapon, a huge pile of soul gems, and make enchanted daggers when you hit town to fund your takeover of Skyrim.

Yeah, they really don't do a good job of selling you on coming quietly. I personally think the whole bounty/capture mechanic in the game is implemented goofily. Wait, I attempted to poison the Emperor, but the only bounty I have is for the 3 ***** they sent to arrest me? What? In the real world, regicide, even attempted regicide, is punishable by being drawn and quartered. Paying a 1000 gold fine seems.... soft on crime.

Admittedly by the point I got to that part of the Dark Brotherhood quests I pretty much could plow through the entirety of the Emperors gaurd for giggles.

JadedDM
2012-01-20, 09:28 PM
My problem with followers are they are too flat. They only have about a dozen things they say, so if you play with any one follower for very long, they start to get irritating. So I've gotten into the habit of switching them off in between adventures, just for variety. Right now I have Faendal, Erik the Slayer, Uthgerd, and Lydia.

Qwertystop
2012-01-20, 09:44 PM
Anyone else use Thu'uMic? Do you know how to turn off the "silent shouts" option?

Starbuck_II
2012-01-21, 01:31 AM
While Lydia disappeared off the face of the planet, luckily after 3 days it said "she got tired of waiting and left" so I wait an extra day for her to arrive home (I had to because she wasn't there when I checked earlier).

I was happy. She had some stuff on her I wanted to keep. Plus, she is my meat-tank.
Though, when she was gone I was using the Sanguine Rose: the deadra summoned appeares to be level equal not static so it was an awesome tank too.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-01-21, 01:51 AM
Just finished the Companions questline. It was epic! :smallsmile:

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-21, 04:44 AM
Just finished the Companions questline. It was epic! :smallsmile:

it is the best Guild questline IMHO.

Personally I fell victim to Fashion. I switched to the maskless dark brotherhood cowl because I hate not being able to see my character's faces. Unlike the other one it's not upgradeable though, which sucks.

I also gave Mjoll a horned helmet instead of the plate one she wore for the same reason.

Valaqil
2012-01-21, 10:11 AM
it is the best Guild questline IMHO.

Better than the Dark Brotherhood? Because that's high praise. I started the Companion line, but didn't finish it.

Castaras
2012-01-21, 11:46 AM
Personally preferred the Thieves Guild questline to what I've done so far of the Companions. :smallsmile: Dark Brotherhood one was amazing as well.

ArlEammon
2012-01-21, 11:54 AM
Better than the Dark Brotherhood? Because that's high praise. I started the Companion line, but didn't finish it.

I killed everyone in the Dark Brotherhood with 1-4 hits.

nhbdy
2012-01-21, 12:23 PM
Personally preferred the Thieves Guild questline to what I've done so far of the Companions. :smallsmile: Dark Brotherhood one was amazing as well.

I'm with you, after doing all of the factions (including the imperial legion, but excluding the dirty stormcloaks) I'd rank the order of awesomeness as follows

1. Thieves Guild
2. Dark brotherhood
3. Companions
4. Civil war faction (heard the stormcloaks were more or less the same as the legion in terms of questiness)
99999. Mage's College

The top three are all really good and somewhat close, the war wasn't near as good as it could have been but the finale siege and the battle of whiterun were both very enjoyable in my opinion, but the mage's college was just a really bad questline in my experience, the whole thing felt really lackluster and at the end I didn't feel like an arcmage, more like a pawn and I lacked closure.

druid91
2012-01-21, 12:24 PM
I killed everyone in the Dark Brotherhood with 1-4 hits.

Then you missed out on Cicero. While his giggling and chatter is annoying for long periods, he does have some gems.

"Beneath my boot I'll break his lute, and if the bard should choose to fight Cicero will set his clothes alight!" ~Cicero on bards.

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-21, 12:45 PM
Then you missed out on Cicero.

I didn't do the dark brotherhood, I did in the dark brotherhood :smallbiggrin:

However, I never got to kill him. He wasn't in the cave, but the quest "destroy the dark brotherhood" was marked as finished anyway.

Anyway... I am disappointed.
Mr Rebel Leader never even fought. While the general was talking I hit him in the head with an arrow and then froze his a... well. Then he just lay there until I executed him.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595833494764196388/C1150E0431DDAC8CA5E2894BE569363D66F0B133/

Also: I R AWSUM:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595833494763234607/6494B6AB7A41E08C3A03A5C6A6603706DCAF1C85/

zeboss
2012-01-21, 04:36 PM
Hi, i'm planning on making a two handed battlemage who uses
Two handed weapons
light armor
block
restoration
alteration
destruction
and i was wondering what the best race would be
so far i'm thinking either imperial or nord

Arcran
2012-01-21, 04:47 PM
Hi, i'm planning on making a two handed battlemage who uses
Two handed weapons
light armor
block
restoration
alteration
destruction
and i was wondering what the best race would be
so far i'm thinking either imperial or nord

Go Nord. By far the best race.

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-21, 04:50 PM
Go Nord. By far the best race.

In what way?

Arcran
2012-01-21, 04:54 PM
+10 Two Handed, +5 Block, +5 Light Armor. Plus, Frost Resist makes half the dragons a cakewalk and their Racial helps a ton at low levels. Enemies flee, once a day? Perfect.

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-21, 04:56 PM
+10 Two Handed, +5 Block, +5 Light Armor. Plus, Frost Resist makes half the dragons a cakewalk and their Racial helps a ton at low levels. Enemies flee, once a day? Perfect.

Argonian got that beat if you want to play a thief.

Orcs once-a-day power is WAY better if you are a fighter.

Arcran
2012-01-21, 04:59 PM
Argonian got that beat if you want to play a thief.

Orcs once-a-day power is WAY better if you are a fighter.

Yes, but he said he wanted to be a Battlemage specializing in Light Armor, Two Handed, and Block. He didn't want to be a Thief, and he also said that he was leaning towards Imperial or Nord. Imperial could work, with +10 Resto, +5 Destruction, and +5 Block, but personally I would go Nord as weapons scale far better than magic does.

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-21, 05:07 PM
Yes, but he said he wanted to be a Battlemage specializing in Light Armor, Two Handed, and Block. He didn't want to be a Thief, and he also said that he was leaning towards Imperial or Nord. Imperial could work, with +10 Resto, +5 Destruction, and +5 Block, but personally I would go Nord as weapons scale far better than magic does.

Well you are correct there.

On the other hand, the race selection is not really important, I am playing a sneaky stealth Orc, for example.

Arcran
2012-01-21, 05:11 PM
Well you are correct there.

On the other hand, the race selection is not really important, I am playing a sneaky stealth Orc, for example.

The 240x Sneak Attacks? They're pretty good stealthers. I have a Khajiit rogue and I'm liking it because of the free Night Vision.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-01-21, 05:25 PM
The 240x Sneak Attacks?

240x? How?? :smalleek:

Arcran
2012-01-21, 05:28 PM
240x? How?? :smalleek:

It was the 15x dagger perk, 4x DB gloves to 60x, turn on Orc racial for 120x and use 2 to put you at 240x.

Dvil
2012-01-21, 07:55 PM
So I wanted a change form my "hit everything until it dies" nord, but I also got bored of my "sneak attack everything until it dies" dunmer. So, naturally, I rolled up an "only uses what he has personally crafted" orc. It's pretty fun so far, especially since I barely used smithing as my nord. This guy's got a ton of available enchantments already, since any magic gear he loots will be instantly disenchanted as he wouldn't use it anyway. Now I just need access to soultrap...

Qwertystop
2012-01-21, 07:58 PM
So I wanted a change form my "hit everything until it dies" nord, but I also got bored of my "sneak attack everything until it dies" dunmer. So, naturally, I rolled up an "only uses what he has personally crafted" orc. It's pretty fun so far, especially since I barely used smithing as my nord. This guy's got a ton of available enchantments already, since any magic gear he loots will be instantly disenchanted as he wouldn't use it anyway. Now I just need access to soultrap...

You could probably consider a Bound Sword, Bound Bow, or Bound Battleaxe to be a weapon he made himself. Get the right perk, and they trap souls.

Dvil
2012-01-21, 07:59 PM
You could probably consider a Bound Sword, Bound Bow, or Bound Battleaxe to be a weapon he made himself. Get the right perk, and they trap souls.

Eh, if possible I'd rather make a weapon and then enchant it with soul trap. Espacially since he seems to be a fan of one-handed maces.

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-21, 10:05 PM
So... going native for a while. I like this armor, but it looks bad when crouching, and it is not good enough, protection-wise. The problem is that I am bored with always wearing the same thing.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595833494775518014/9CCBFE0EC5DFB76E28275C8B151BC9CE95E38A21/

Janus
2012-01-21, 11:48 PM
Good people! I bring you Skyrim comics, made by my own hand!!

Courtship
http://www.deviantart.com/download/275173535/skyrim__courtship_by_janus3003-d4jtx9b.jpg

Helping Farkas
http://www.deviantart.com/download/275517214/skyrim__helping_farkas_by_janus3003-d4k1afy.jpg

Farkas & Aela
---WARNING: Companions spoiler
http://www.deviantart.com/download/277538579/skyrim__farkas_and_aela_by_janus3003-d4l8m4z.jpg

The Blades
---WARNING: Main Quest spoilers!!
http://www.deviantart.com/download/279186072/skyrim__the_blades_by_janus3003-d4m7xco.jpg

The Doctrine of the Dovahkiin
---erm.... Scripted event that happens the first time you enter Solitude spoiler?
http://www.deviantart.com/download/279256334/the_doctrine_of_the_dragonborn_by_janus3003-d4m9fke.jpg

nhbdy
2012-01-22, 12:07 AM
Good people! I bring you Skyrim comics, made by my own hand!!

Courtship
http://www.deviantart.com/download/275173535/skyrim__courtship_by_janus3003-d4jtx9b.jpg

Helping Farkas
http://www.deviantart.com/download/275517214/skyrim__helping_farkas_by_janus3003-d4k1afy.jpg

Farkas & Aela
---WARNING: Companions spoiler
http://www.deviantart.com/download/277538579/skyrim__farkas_and_aela_by_janus3003-d4l8m4z.jpg

The Blades
---WARNING: Main Quest spoilers!!
http://www.deviantart.com/download/279186072/skyrim__the_blades_by_janus3003-d4m7xco.jpg

The Doctrine of the Dovahkiin
---erm.... Scripted event that happens the first time you enter Solitude spoiler?
http://www.deviantart.com/download/279256334/the_doctrine_of_the_dragonborn_by_janus3003-d4m9fke.jpg

Very nice, I especially liked the ones with the blades and farkas and aela, good humor my friend!

And I do so wish I could tell the blades to shut it like your character did in the comics, but nice one on the cicero joke, I hadn't thought of that way to get rid of him!

Janus
2012-01-22, 12:28 AM
Glad you like it!

I actually don't know if that would work with Cicero. I never gave any followers to the Blades, and Julius (the character in all but the last comic) destroyed the Dark Brotherhood, so he never interacted with Cicero.
My evil assassin kitty has, though, but
he killed Cicero, took his clothes, and dumped him in a firepit.

EDIT
*finally notices typo in Farkas & Aela*
:smallannoyed:

Starbuck_II
2012-01-22, 01:10 AM
I missed that scripted event...the game treats it as he was executed, but I was never there for it. So I haven't a clue what they were talking about in town. :smalltongue:

Hand of Vecna
2012-01-22, 12:45 PM
I got Skyrim for PC for X-Mas... and can't get it to work on my comp. It runs unplayably slow, takes minutes for the game to start up.

Here's what I have

HP-Pavillion GN556AA-ABA a6200n (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-12133156-12133158-12133158-12133158-80626463-81048011.html?dnr=1)
Windows Vista
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (2 CPUs), 2.6 GHz
3454 MB RAM (1918 starting RAM + a 2 Gig RAM upgrade)
114 GB free space on hard drive (after installing the game)
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 w/ 825 MB memory
DirectX 11

I thought I'd be able to play it, with the graphics turned way down, not for it to be so achingly slow. Will a new video card fix this, or do I need something more?