PDA

View Full Version : Item Creation Feats and Item Abilities [3.5, PEACH]

Razanir
2012-01-15, 10:12 AM
I had two ideas for magic items:
1) Why bother with so many feats, a lot of which have to be taken much later than you can cast the spells?
2) If wizards have made so many abilities for armor-wearing classes, why not make something so they too can wear the armor?

Solution to problem 1:
The types of items are: Potions (3), Wands (5), Staves (12), Scrolls (1), Rings (12), Arms and Armor (5), Rods (9) and Wondrous Items (3)
The way I see it:
Potions and Scrolls both store spells
Wands are more advanced Scrolls
Arms, Armor and Wondrous Items are creative applications of magic
Rods are more advanced Universal Items
Staves and Rings are way advanced magic (LotR reference for the rings)

(Italics are the SRD versions of the feats)

Store Spell
You know how to store spells in potions and scrolls for later use
Prerequisites: Caster level 1
Benefit: As Brew Potion and Scribe Scroll.
At caster level 3, you can create thrown potions.
Thrown potions cost 3 times as much as a regular potion, but work like a splash weapon to hit multiple targets. They can be made with any spell that can be made into a potion
At caster level 5, you gain the benefits of Craft Wand
At caster level 11, you gain the benefits of Craft Staff

Enchant Items
You know how to enhance the defensive abilities of armor and the power of weapons. You can also create wondrous items
Prerequisites: Caster level 3
Benefit: As Craft Magic Arms and Armor, but limited to items of +1 or less. Also grants the abilities of Craft Wondrous Item
At caster level 6, you gain the full benefits of Craft Magic Arms and Armor

Forge Ring
You know how to store spells in magic rings
Prerequisites: Caster level 10
Benefit: As Forge Ring

So overall, a couple of things moved down a few levels, some items got grouped, and some got split into multiple feats.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-15, 10:17 AM
...I don't see how Universal Items play into this at all. Universal items are psionic, not magic. I suspect you're referring to Wondrous Items, here.

Razanir
2012-01-15, 10:21 AM
So I also mentioned wizards being able to use armor. I have two solutions, but can't decide which one I like better

Idea 2a) Feats

Light Mage Armor
You know how to cast spells effectively in armor
Prerequisites: Caster level 3, Dex 13, Armor Proficiency (Light)
Benefit: You are no longer affected by Arcane Spell Failure while wearing light armor
Special: Some classes (Bard, Warmage, Spellthief, etc.) earn this as part of their first level

Medium Mage Armor
You know how to cast spells effectively in heavier armor
Prerequisites: Caster level 7, Dex 18, Light Mage Armor
Benefit: You are no longer affected by Arcane Spell Failure while wearing medium armor
Special: Bards (and anyone who gets Light Mage Armor in their class) can take this feat earlier at level 5

Heavy Mage Armor
You know how to cast spells effectively in armor
Prerequisites: Caster level 10, Str 18, Medium Mage Armor
Benefit: You only take half the normal Arcane Spell Failure while wearing heavy armor
Special: Must gain Light Mage Armor as part of your class features

Idea 2b) An Item Ability
Mage Armor
Armor enchanted with this quality reduces ASF by 10%. The armor looks more fluid and shimmery.

Faint conjuration; CL 3rd; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, mage armor; Price +1 bonus

Greater Mage Armor
Armor enchanted with this quality reduces ASF by 25%. The armor looks more fluid and shimmery.

Moderate conjuration; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, mage armor; Price +3 bonus

Razanir
2012-01-15, 10:23 AM
...I don't see how Universal Items play into this at all. Universal items are psionic, not magic. I suspect you're referring to Wondrous Items, here.

My bad. I do have one question, however. I know PEACH lets people know you want them to critique it, but what does it stand for?

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-15, 10:24 AM
Someone made similar armor feats a while back, and everyone had the same problem, namely: If you've got a +6 Dexterity modifier, you don't want to wear armor that has a maximum Dex of +0 - +1. A high Dexterity modifier is not a good prerequisite for Heavy Armor feats.

Edit: PEACH- Please Evaluate and Critique Honestly

Razanir
2012-01-15, 10:27 AM
What if I change it to Str 18? Because by that point, armor's more about strength than dexterity, and if you're playing a bard, your strength will be a bit higher anyway.

bobthe6th
2012-01-15, 10:31 AM
PEACH=Please evaluate and critique honestly

These look fun... I see no reason a wizard shouldn't get arrmor if they sink 2-6 feats(for prof and mage arrmor)

I would also find it a good Idea if you threw spell vials in the mix(thrown potions, from a prestige in magic of eberon). Let the fighter drop some money for a couple hand grenades...

Razanir
2012-01-15, 10:34 AM
I would also find it a good Idea if you threw spell vials in the mix(thrown potions, from a prestige in magic of eberon). Let the fighter drop some money for a couple hand grenades...

Nice idea. And I only have access to anything in the SRD, Complete Adventurer and Savage Species. Homebrew grenade time :smallbiggrin:

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-15, 10:40 AM
What if I change it to Str 18? Because by that point, armor's more about strength than dexterity, and if you're playing a bard, your strength will be a bit higher anyway.

Sounds good, though a bard will probably likely take Battle Caster instead anyway. (Complete Arcane, gives a class that already ignores ASF the ability to do so in one category heavier armor, so bards could ignore medium)

bobthe6th
2012-01-15, 10:44 AM
Heh, see now the toss up is, potion of cure sirious or FIRE BALL... might want to describe the mechanics further.

Now I really want to make an artificer...

silphael
2012-01-15, 11:00 AM
Shouldn't the prerequisites be an odd number?

Why don't make feats with advancement? "If you have NLS X, then you may craft that as well"

That would make less feats.

Razanir
2012-01-15, 11:25 AM
Heh, see now the toss up is, potion of cure sirious or FIRE BALL... might want to describe the mechanics further.

Now I really want to make an artificer...

Edit: I added more to the thrown potions, although I'm keeping in the part about it being any potion-able spell

Sounds good, though a bard will probably likely take Battle Caster instead anyway. (Complete Arcane, gives a class that already ignores ASF the ability to do so in one category heavier armor, so bards could ignore medium)

The lower bard prereqs were to play off the fact that bards already start with light armor having no ASF. And the bard limit on heavy was to prevent wizards from running around in full plate. Wizards in armor is okay, but full plate is a bit much

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-15, 11:31 AM
The lower bard prereqs were to play off the fact that bards already start with light armor having no ASF. And the bard limit on heavy was to prevent wizards from running around in full plate. Wizards in armor is okay, but full plate is a bit much

Well, okay, but you should specify that this is for Core-only, because there are a lot more arcane casters with light armor than just the bard in 3.5 (dread necromancer, beguiler, warmage, duskblade, spellthief, battle sorcerer, hexblade)