PDA

View Full Version : Help on a "tactical gish" build optimization (tier 3-4)

Blas_de_Lezo
2012-01-15, 12:28 PM
This is supposed to be a non-too cheesy (tier 3-4) build I call a "tactical gish build", playable at level by level basis. It's mainly a prime melee fighter once you get a mithral full armor. It's designed to be able to cast many spells as a swift action, and get terrain advantage and a bit of battlefield control to domain melee and help his team, thanks to his spell selection.

It takes advantage of his high Int thanks to able learner to help the party out of combat too (max skill ranks in Concentration, Sense Motive, Spellcraft and Diplomacy (eventually you'll get a nice check), then 1 rank in each knowledge skill, and share the rest between Spot and Listen, synergyzing with familiar Alertness). At low levels this extra skills could save my day.

His familiar (crow) will improve his senses (Alertness), will serve him as a loyal messenger, scout and spy, and mostly, give him a continuos +2 to hit in combat thanks to his ability to flank enemies with you.

Stats order starting at 1st level: Str>Con>Int>Dex>Wis>Cha (I haven't roll yet)

Duskblade 5/Abjurant Champion 5/Duskblade +10

Human

Feats

1. Power Attack, Able Learner

3. Obtain Familiar (Crow)

6. Extra Spell (Shield) (my DM allows it) [This combined with Abjurant Champion and the loads of 1st level slots will give you a +9 to AC each encounter as a swift action]

9. Arcane Strike

12. Improved Critical (Falchion) [EDIT: changed to Improved Familiar]

15. Arcane Disciple (Domain: Luck: almost every nice abjuration spells).

18. Versatile Spellcaster (with 3 Rings of Wizardry, I'll have almost infinite interchangeable spells)

Key spells known (*= domain spells at 15th level).

Level 0: acid splash, ray of frost, touch of fatigue, others.

Level 1: Resist Energy (swiftable with Abjurant Champion, change to Swift Expeditious Retreat at level 15th), True Strike, Ray of Enfeeblement, Obscuring Mist (battlefield control), Shocking Grasp, Shield (at level 6, swiftable with Abjurant Champion), Entropic Shield* (swiftable)

Level 2: Dimension Hop (battlefield control, small teleport), See Invisibility, Swift Invisibility, Bull's Strenght (retrain to Touch of Idiocy when adquired a Belt of Giant Strenght), Aid*

Level 3: Vampiric Touch, Dispelling Touch (swiftable), Regroup (battlefield control), Greater Magic Weapon (saves money), Protection from energy* (swiftable)

Level 4: Dispel Magic (swiftable), Enervate, Interposing Hand (battlefield control, change to Toxic Weapon when Clenched Fist is learned), Dimension Door, Freedom of Movement* (swiftable)

Level 5: Disintegrate, Clunching Fist (battlefield control), Polar Ray, Waves of Fatigue (battlefield control), Break Enchatment* (swiftable)

What do you think?

Snowbluff
2012-01-15, 01:37 PM
Getting a Draconic or Improved Familiar and Moving a feat (Probably Versatile caster) down with a flaw can give you a nice little pet.

A familiar would benefit from you full BaB and good Health, and Draconic one all can speak (and therefore use wands). They can flank and fight fairly well, and each one has a decent Int score, can fly and has a decent set of skills.

I personally don't think Imp Crit is worth it if you are not a Crazyomfg22hitsperround Warblade.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-01-15, 01:55 PM
Consider picking up Improved Familiar for an Imp or Quasit or Pseudodragon instead of the Crow.

Keep in mind, you'll need Wis 15 to cast 5th level spells from your Arcane Disciple domain list.

Get a Spell Storing weapon and a Lesser Rod of Maximize and put Maximized Vampiric Touch into the weapon outside of battle.

Consider picking up some of the Raiment of the Four set in MIC for additional spell options, namely Freedom of Movement and Teleport. Definitely get a Circlet of Rapid Casting.

Blas_de_Lezo
2012-01-16, 10:27 AM
Getting a Draconic or Improved Familiar and Moving a feat (Probably Versatile caster) down with a flaw can give you a nice little pet.

A familiar would benefit from you full BaB and good Health, and Draconic one all can speak (and therefore use wands). They can flank and fight fairly well, and each one has a decent Int score, can fly and has a decent set of skills.

I personally don't think Imp Crit is worth it if you are not a Crazyomfg22hitsperround Warblade.

Consider picking up Improved Familiar for an Imp or Quasit or Pseudodragon instead of the Crow.

Keep in mind, you'll need Wis 15 to cast 5th level spells from your Arcane Disciple domain list.

Get a Spell Storing weapon and a Lesser Rod of Maximize and put Maximized Vampiric Touch into the weapon outside of battle.

Consider picking up some of the Raiment of the Four set in MIC for additional spell options, namely Freedom of Movement and Teleport. Definitely get a Circlet of Rapid Casting.

So, suggest Improved Familiar. Ok, it looks nice, I'll change it. So I could drop Improved Critical and get a Winter Wolf at 12th level? (DM doesn't allow draconic familiar feat)

I get Freedom of Movement by Arcane Disciple (I took it as late as 15th level so I could improve my Wisdom by magical items).

And yes, metamagic rods are in my planning.

Snowbluff
2012-01-16, 01:57 PM
So, suggest Improved Familiar. Ok, it looks nice, I'll change it. So I could drop Improved Critical and get a Winter Wolf at 12th level? (DM doesn't allow draconic familiar feat)

I get Freedom of Movement by Arcane Disciple (I took it as late as 15th level so I could improve my Wisdom by magical items).

And yes, metamagic rods are in my planning.

It should be noted that although I believe Imp Crit is a waste of a feat, it is the worth the bits o' money it would take to get a Keen Falchion +1. Check with you DM if your Touch Spells crit with your weapon crit range, or with the standard spell crit range (20/x2 I believe).