PDA

View Full Version : Would Niu be Haley's disciple?

St Fan
2012-01-15, 05:10 PM
Although it isn't directly stated in the comic where it's revealed she multiclassed to rogue (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0535.html), would Niu have taken this level under Haley's guidance?

I know the D&D rules tend to skirt around the origin of a class level when multiclassing, it is usually implied that you would train under a higher-level character. As the highest-level rogue around, Haley would be the obvious choice.

I think it's quite likely, since they were also showing quite close (the hug) on the same strip. This would make Haley the mentor and Niu the disciple. And now that I think about it, would Haley be in danger if she'd reunite with Niu, or does Julio Scoundrél's piece of wisdom doesn't apply here?

Jubal_Barca
2012-01-15, 05:24 PM
Scoundrel's was related to the old wise master trope - Haley isn't vastly much older than Niu, I think it's safe to assume, so I don't think it applies here. Basically, rules of plot need to feel like they're going to apply in order to apply.

Kish
2012-01-15, 05:35 PM
None of what Julio Scoundrel said about mentors applies when the "mentor" is a main character and the "student" is a minor character.

t209
2012-01-15, 07:45 PM
BTW, Rogue have no master nor servant, they learn by themselves.

blueblade
2012-01-15, 08:21 PM
I think the conversation they had in the 6th panel certainly reads like a student/teacher relationship.

Rules or otherwise, I take it that Niu admired Haley's strength, prowess, and abilities, and chose to learn from and emulate her.

Leecros
2012-01-15, 08:32 PM
BTW, Rogue have no master nor servant, they learn by themselves.

So every single Rogue ever learned the art by themselves?:smallconfused:

FujinAkari
2012-01-15, 09:19 PM
So every single Rogue ever learned the art by themselves?:smallconfused:

Absolutely. There are no Thieves' Guilds anywhere in OOTS. At all. And we certainly haven'r seen two of them in the strip in any way shape or form. Any claims that they were the focus of an entire story arc is clearly fictitious.

Finn Solomon
2012-01-15, 10:38 PM
Incidentally Niu means 'cow' in Mandarin. Maybe that's her particular God out of the Twelve, although Rat or Monkey seems more appropriate for a rogue.

t209
2012-01-15, 10:45 PM
Incidentally Niu means 'cow' in Mandarin. Maybe that's her particular God out of the Twelve, although Rat or Monkey seems more appropriate for a rogue.
The "meaningless" name can be explained by this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0209.html) and you just knew my chinese year (monkey).
Her name can also be same as strength (Cows are used as plow animal in China).

Finn Solomon
2012-01-15, 10:46 PM
Yup, but the Giant missed a thematic trick there. Niu would be more appropriate, ironically, for someone like Thanh, who is as strong as an ox and just as stubborn.

t209
2012-01-15, 11:05 PM
Absolutely. There are no Thieves' Guilds anywhere in OOTS. At all. And we certainly haven'r seen two of them in the strip in any way shape or form. Any claims that they were the focus of an entire story arc is clearly fictitious.

Rogue is basically RPG's version of Gang Bangers, Dog!

Mutant Sheep
2012-01-15, 11:13 PM
Rogue is basically RPG's version of Gang Bangers, Dog!

Haley is a gang banger?:smalleek: It makes so much sense now. Murdering Crystal, using evil sorceress powers to freeze Bozzok, and being obsessed with gold(en bling).:smalltongue:

with an e
2012-01-15, 11:55 PM
It could also mean "chick," as in the slang term for a girl, with roughly the same connotations in modern use. That character (妞) might be more appropriate for her. :P

Palthera
2012-01-16, 04:49 AM
Or it could just be a name, parents don't usually name their children for the adult and career they'll pick later... after all "Rebecca" means "heifer" and I'm fairly sure most parents don't know that when they name their daughters.

RMS Oceanic
2012-01-16, 05:18 AM
Absolutely. There are no Thieves' Guilds anywhere in OOTS. At all.

What about the Greysky Thieves Guild?

Bedinsis
2012-01-16, 05:24 AM
What about the Greysky Thieves Guild?

(I think FujinAkari is being sarcastic.)

RMS Oceanic
2012-01-16, 05:39 AM
(I think FujinAkari is being sarcastic.)

Oh. Sometimes I can't parse sarcasm in text. Whoops! :smallredface:

Finn Solomon
2012-01-16, 08:22 AM
Or it could just be a name, parents don't usually name their children for the adult and career they'll pick later... after all "Rebecca" means "heifer" and I'm fairly sure most parents don't know that when they name their daughters.

:smallconfused: You're acting as if she's a real live person. I'm speaking from a character standpoint.

Kish
2012-01-16, 08:25 AM
From a character standpoint, Shojo was not a young woman.

Leecros
2012-01-16, 09:53 AM
From a character standpoint, Shojo was not a young woman.

He may have wanted to be one though...:smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2012-01-16, 12:40 PM
I know the D&D rules tend to skirt around the origin of a class level when multiclassing, it is usually implied that you would train under a higher-level character. As the highest-level rogue around, Haley would be the obvious choice.

Like how Elan was "a disciple" under Vaarsuvius when he briefly thought of multiclassing to wizard.:smallwink:

brionl
2012-01-16, 06:27 PM
I think it's quite likely, since they were also showing quite close (the hug) on the same strip. This would make Haley the mentor and Niu the disciple. And now that I think about it, would Haley be in danger if she'd reunite with Niu, or does Julio Scoundrél's piece of wisdom doesn't apply here?

Protege, not disciple. Disciple implies a much more personal/religious relationship.

St Fan
2012-01-17, 05:59 AM
Like how Elan was "a disciple" under Vaarsuvius when he briefly thought of multiclassing to wizard.:smallwink:

Well, yeah, I was thinking of that too.

Protege, not disciple. Disciple implies a much more personal/religious relationship.

I knew I wasn't using the best term, I just couldn't find one more fitting on top of my head. I could have said "apprentice" or "student" too.

Would rogues have a specific slang term for an apprentice learning under a more skilled master? (Something nicer than "target", I guess.)

Mutant Sheep
2012-01-17, 07:37 AM
Yes, "That person who taught me to be sneaky". For a class as basic as rogue, I don't think you would necessarily need a special mentor figure to multiclass. Elan was just being Elan.:smalltongue:

Anarion
2012-01-18, 10:25 PM
Would rogues have a specific slang term for an apprentice learning under a more skilled master? (Something nicer than "target", I guess.)

"Apprentice" maybe? Despite the fact that the first rule of Thieves Guild is that we don't talk about Thieves guild, the fact that there's a guild structure would imply something like apprentice-->journeyman-->master rankings. Or just "trainee" works too until the rogue gets good enough to act on his/her own.

Yes, "That person who taught me to be sneaky". For a class as basic as rogue, I don't think you would necessarily need a special mentor figure to multiclass. Elan was just being Elan.:smalltongue:

Rogues, surprisingly, aren't that basic. The sneaking and hiding might not require a trainer, but learning to find and disarm magic traps probably does require some kind of teacher (or a lot of bad experiences). Sneak attack is borderline in that one could figure it out, but the exceptional skill that rogues have with it suggests that sneak attack might involve some anatomy training.