PDA

View Full Version : Oh noes, I broke WBL.... help me spend it

SirFredgar
2012-01-15, 05:45 PM
Last night in the game I am currectly playing in, one of my party mates managed something none of us thought possible. Because of his shadow creature template (or is it Dark creature?... I always mix those up) he gets hide in plain sight as well being optimized around hide. Basically, my party mate is a Ninja (not the class, but the state of mind), and he sneaks into the keep of the ruler of the city we are at.

He was only doing it to get information on a holy relic our party was after, but in the midst of this little escapade he encountered the King (in his office) talking to a group of known pilots. The city was to build them an airship, and the pirates were going to pay in platinum. They did their dealings, counted the money (25,000 platinum coins) and then went off to the parlor to celebrate.

You guessed it. My kobold friend had a case of the sticky fingers. Those poor pirates celebration was probably shortlived (he didn't stick around to see their reactions), but our party has just started. Being the nice Kobold brother he is, he actually split the loot with us, and so I ended up 62.5k gold richer.

I have no idea how to spend this. At. Level. 3. Yep. 62.k gold at level 3. Minus about 3~4k for some expenses incured last game. I definitely want to unload this platinum and change it into magic gear ASAP, so our party is headed to a neutral city-state to spend it. What are some things the Playground reccomend I get?

Also: I get 10% off in the Neutral City-state for being a member of the Mage Guild.

here is my Build and currecnt equipment.

Necropolitian Dread Necromancer 18 / SandShaper 1 / Dread Witch 1 // Dread Witch 3 / Cloistered Cleric 7 / Walker in the Waste 10

1. Dread Necromancer 1// Cloistered Cleric 1
2 .Dread Necromancer 2// Cloistered Cleric 2
3. Dread Necromancer 3// Cloistered Cleric 3
4. Dread Necromancer 4// Cloistered Cleric 4
5. Dread Necromancer 4 / Dread Witch Lvl1 // Cloistered Cleric 5
6. Dread Necromancer 4 / Dread Witch 1 / Sand Shaper 1// Cloistered Cleric 6
7. Dread Necromancer 5 / SandShaper 1 / Dread Witch 1 // Dread Witch Lvl2 / Cloistered Cleric 6
8. Dread Necromancer 6 / SandShaper 1 / Dread Witch 1 // Dread Witch Lvl3 / Cloistered Cleric 6
9. Dread Necromancer 7 / SandShaper 1 / Dread Witch 1 // Dread Witch Lvl4 / Cloistered Cleric 6
10. Dread Necromancer 8 / SandShaper 1 / Dread Witch 1 // Dread Witch 4 / Cloistered Cleric 7
11 All Dread necro advancement + Walker In the Waste.

Feats: Lost Tradition (Cleric to Cha)(Flaw), Fell Drain(FLAW), DMM FD, Extendz Spell (b), Heat Endurance 1, Southern Magician 3, Touchestone 6, Fell Frighten 9, Fell Animate 12, Corpsecrafter 15, Destructive Retribution 18.

I ahve Knowledge, Deathbound, and Planning as domains and often switch out knowledge for another domain (I can choose any, most often Sand to work my shapesand easier) with Domain Swap.

My Current gear consists of
1 Jug of Shapesand
1 Cloak of Charisma +2/Resistance +1
1 Ring of Protection =1
1 hat of Disguise
1 Everfull Mug (bought before I was undead)
1 Everlasting Rations (bought before I was undead)
1 Sand tube (80g tent from sandstorm to protect against sandstorms.)
Wand of Lesser Resto
Scheema of Lesser Resto

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-01-15, 06:06 PM
Fifty coins weigh one pound (PHB p112), so he had to have dragged 500 pounds of clinking, clattering coins all the way out of that place unnoticed. Move Silently isn't going to be of much help in that case, assuming he's even capable of dragging that much weight. As a small size creature, he'd need at least Str 10 to drag 500 pounds, and that's not even considering the rest of his gear, and Kobolds take a -4 to Str anyway so it's doubtful that it's even that high.

Hide in Plain Sight allows you to use the Hide skill even when being observed. It does not enable you to use the Hide skill when normal conditions would not allow you to hide, i.e. you still need some sort of cover or concealment. Chances are, he would not have been able to Hide his way into that room, and especially not back out dragging along all that loot.

Finally, it would be fairly easy to track down whoever is going around spending a sudden volume of platinum coins, when the king has just been robbed of thousands of platinum coins. Chances are platinum is somewhat rare in that kingdom, and anyone with more than a handful of such coins would be sternly questioned as to where they acquired them. If your DM has any semblance of competence, this wealth will be quickly extracted from your characters, and they will be extremely lucky to even survive.

hobo386
2012-01-15, 06:07 PM
I'd personally recommend starting with stuff that gives convenience but won't heavily affect the balance of your game. Get a Haversack. Maybe a bag of holding. Get some of the fancy doodads from http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101 like the survival pouch. Maybe get a few nice magic items that help your build, but I've seen plenty of threads here where the DM complains that he accidentally gave his players 10x their wealth by level and wants to fix it.

So if you don't abuse it, he will probably let you keep it longer.

SirFredgar
2012-01-15, 06:15 PM
Fifty coins weigh one pound (PHB p112), so he had to have dragged 500 pounds of clinking, clattering coins all the way out of that place unnoticed. Move Silently isn't going to be of much help in that case, assuming he's even capable of dragging that much weight. As a small size creature, he'd need at least Str 10 to drag 500 pounds, and that's not even considering the rest of his gear, and Kobolds take a -4 to Str anyway so it's doubtful that it's even that high.

Hide in Plain Sight allows you to use the Hide skill even when being observed. It does not enable you to use the Hide skill when normal conditions would not allow you to hide, i.e. you still need some sort of cover or concealment. Chances are, he would not have been able to Hide his way into that room, and especially not back out dragging along all that loot.

Finally, it would be fairly easy to track down whoever is going around spending a sudden volume of platinum coins, when the king has just been robbed of thousands of platinum coins. Chances are platinum is somewhat rare in that kingdom, and anyone with more than a handful of such coins would be sternly questioned as to where they acquired them. If your DM has any semblance of competence, this wealth will be quickly extracted from your characters, and they will be extremely lucky to even survive.

For the sake of a concise post I left out the exact details of the event. Weight: Not a problem. He had a bag of holding. Concealment wasn't a problem with the furnature in the room, their facing towards the small fire in the large room with no other lightsource, as well as having curtains to hide behind.

But yes, I do know this is WAY beyond out WBL. And I DO know that it may get taken away, hence why we are teleporting to a Neutral City State (ie one not connected to the kingdom we robbed), and paying for anything in that kingdom in straight gold. My goal is to spend this money without buying anything that might over-cheeze the game. Essentially, I'm attempting to liquidate the Plat into non-traceable magic items (my hat of disguise will be utlized during purchases and I have max ranks + hefty charisma)

SirFredgar
2012-01-15, 06:21 PM
I'd personally recommend starting with stuff that gives convenience but won't heavily affect the balance of your game. Get a Haversack. Maybe a bag of holding. Get some of the fancy doodads from http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101 like the survival pouch. Maybe get a few nice magic items that help your build, but I've seen plenty of threads here where the DM complains that he accidentally gave his players 10x their wealth by level and wants to fix it.

So if you don't abuse it, he will probably let you keep it longer.

Wow, thanks for that link, I love it. I will have to pour through it now for it's goodies. Though, I was thinking of increasing my Rebuke level with it, but I don't know the gear that does that.

ahenobarbi
2012-01-15, 06:37 PM
Fortyfying bedroll (http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/heward-s-fortifying-bedroll) is nice because you have to sleep just 1h/day.

Having Marvelous pigments (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Marvelous_Pigments) means you never have to worry you forgot rope/ magnyfying glass/ whatever.

Grab Rod of Splendor (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Rod_of_Splendor) and impress everyone everywhere for mere 25'000 gp.

Fable Wright
2012-01-15, 07:16 PM
There's also this handy guide here: What you need, and why you need it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851). Magic items here would probably help without being too much of a game breaker. Some more recommendations of mine:
Belt of Battle. This thing is indispensable. It gives you a bonus on initiative checks, it gives you extra actions per day, and is all around good stuff.
Cloak of Resistance and Charisma. As per the rules in MiC, you can add bonuses to charisma onto shoulder slot items.
Rod of Undead Mastery. You might not be able to use it now, but it helps your minionmancy later.
Scroll of Plague of Undead. Get this, save it for later. Max HP/HD zombies is very, very good.
Bag of Holding. You can use it to store your undead minions that you collect along your journeys, and save them to use when you need them, and only when you need them, so the DM doesn't go crazy with the number of undead you're using with each battle. Also store Command Undeaded undead.
Altar to a Dark God. Stick it in your bag of holding, and you have your portable permanent item to add Desecrate bonuses to.
Exotic Corpses. Stick up a few posters with bounties on them for undead you want, such as Hydras or Lions, that you are willing to pay for. Keep stored in your bag of holding until needed, and/or until you have enough to use with your Scroll of Plague of Undead. Save these undead for when you need them, or the DM will have a fit.
Marvelous Pigments. They are mentioned in Shax's Haversack and the post above mine, but they should be repeated again. These things are great. Need to get through a wall? Paint a hole, or cracks in the wall. Or a pit of lava and some rope, if your capture James Bond. Or some rather unique corpses, if you know exactly which one you need for a task.
Anklet of Translocation. Get two or three pairs if you need them; each gives you 10' swift action teleport. For a mere 1400gp a pop. Useful.

And some miscellaneous stuff that was mentioned in Shax's Haversack that bears repeating, in case you missed it:

Shapesand. Exactly what object you want, exactly when you need it. Plus, with your Wisdom score, you should be able to get it to work how you want most of the time.
Chaos Flask. Pretty much whatever alchemical item/diamond/whatever expendable you need, bottled up for future use.
Tempo Bloodspikes. I personally find these amazing, though you might need them less with yours. Activate them, and at any time within an hour, you can expend it for a move action. Yes, an extra move action when you need it. Be it for fleeing, changing the target for a spell, bossing undead minions around, moving in the same round as you use a full-round spell... there are a lot of things you can do with these, at the meager cost of 150 gp apiece.

Rubik
2012-01-15, 07:23 PM
Might I suggest some metamagic rods and eternal wands? Any arcane caster can use any eternal wand, and metamagic is always useful.

[edit] Also, if Hyperconscious is allowed a synaptic mask and a +10 skill shard (the latter from the XPH) is an awesome buy at 4000 gp total.

Randomguy
2012-01-15, 07:30 PM
Seems like there will be an airship adventure in the future. You could consider investing it in a small but maneuverable airship, so that at least you won't be on the ground if the pirates eventually find you and start bombing you. For extra fun, give it once per day teleportation and plane shift, just in case. (you could make it a custom magic item). You'd need the entire party to chip in, though.

A shrunken shrieker (Complete Scoundrel) to prevent the theft of your favourite magic item might help.

A Rod of Ropes (4k, good for all sorts of grappling hook stuff) is, or boots of levitation (7.5k but it's actual hovering, not just climbing) is for when you need to climb something and really wished you could afford a magic flight item.

Of course, you could actually buy a flying item, but the best is a winged cloak, at 54k, and the next best (just a bit slower) is the phoenix cloak (MiC) at 50k, so that would eat up most of your cash. Of course, there's always the broom of flying, for 17k, so you could get that if you wanted.

candycorn
2012-01-15, 07:57 PM
Seems like there will be an airship adventure in the future. You could consider investing it in a small but maneuverable airship, so that at least you won't be on the ground if the pirates eventually find you and start bombing you. For extra fun, give it once per day teleportation and plane shift, just in case. (you could make it a custom magic item). You'd need the entire party to chip in, though.

A shrunken shrieker (Complete Scoundrel) to prevent the theft of your favourite magic item might help.

A Rod of Ropes (4k, good for all sorts of grappling hook stuff) is, or boots of levitation (7.5k but it's actual hovering, not just climbing) is for when you need to climb something and really wished you could afford a magic flight item.

Of course, you could actually buy a flying item, but the best is a winged cloak, at 54k, and the next best (just a bit slower) is the phoenix cloak (MiC) at 50k, so that would eat up most of your cash. Of course, there's always the broom of flying, for 17k, so you could get that if you wanted.

Ummm...
Winged Boots (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsWinged)?

It's not continuous, but you don't often need that.

SirFredgar
2012-01-15, 08:06 PM
Might I suggest some metamagic rods and eternal wands? Any arcane caster can use any eternal wand, and metamagic is always useful.

[edit] Also, if Hyperconscious is allowed a synaptic mask and a +10 skill shard (the latter from the XPH) is an awesome buy at 4000 gp total.

Love the Metamagic Rod ideas, I had been considering those later but completely spaced on them for this sudden jump in WBL. Unfortunatly Psionics are not used at my gaming table, as no one is truely familiar with them.

You know what, Randomguy, I never considered we would really need our own airship. But now that you mention it, it is a reoccuring theme and will likely become more so, after our antics. The problem is, the money we stole was from the City that builds all the airships (to our characters limited knowledge), so if we comissioned one, it would be from the very people we took the money from. We kind of want to avoid this. But that doesn't change the fact that I think I'll add that to my future plans, if we can finagle it.

There's also this handy guide here: What you need, and why you need it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851). Magic items here would probably help without being too much of a game breaker. Some more recommendations of mine:
Belt of Battle. This thing is indispensable. It gives you a bonus on initiative checks, it gives you extra actions per day, and is all around good stuff.
Cloak of Resistance and Charisma. As per the rules in MiC, you can add bonuses to charisma onto shoulder slot items.
Rod of Undead Mastery. You might not be able to use it now, but it helps your minionmancy later.
Scroll of Plague of Undead. Get this, save it for later. Max HP/HD zombies is very, very good.
Bag of Holding. You can use it to store your undead minions that you collect along your journeys, and save them to use when you need them, and only when you need them, so the DM doesn't go crazy with the number of undead you're using with each battle. Also store Command Undeaded undead.
Altar to a Dark God. Stick it in your bag of holding, and you have your portable permanent item to add Desecrate bonuses to.
Exotic Corpses. Stick up a few posters with bounties on them for undead you want, such as Hydras or Lions, that you are willing to pay for. Keep stored in your bag of holding until needed, and/or until you have enough to use with your Scroll of Plague of Undead. Save these undead for when you need them, or the DM will have a fit.
Marvelous Pigments. They are mentioned in Shax's Haversack and the post above mine, but they should be repeated again. These things are great. Need to get through a wall? Paint a hole, or cracks in the wall. Or a pit of lava and some rope, if your capture James Bond. Or some rather unique corpses, if you know exactly which one you need for a task.
Anklet of Translocation. Get two or three pairs if you need them; each gives you 10' swift action teleport. For a mere 1400gp a pop. Useful.

And some miscellaneous stuff that was mentioned in Shax's Haversack that bears repeating, in case you missed it:

Shapesand. Exactly what object you want, exactly when you need it. Plus, with your Wisdom score, you should be able to get it to work how you want most of the time.
Chaos Flask. Pretty much whatever alchemical item/diamond/whatever expendable you need, bottled up for future use.
Tempo Bloodspikes. I personally find these amazing, though you might need them less with yours. Activate them, and at any time within an hour, you can expend it for a move action. Yes, an extra move action when you need it. Be it for fleeing, changing the target for a spell, bossing undead minions around, moving in the same round as you use a full-round spell... there are a lot of things you can do with these, at the meager cost of 150 gp apiece.

Oh Wow, thanks so much. You've reccomend not only generally usefull items, but some that work perfect with my current build. The link to the thread explaining why I need them is also much appreciated, the logic behind purchases helps me formulate my own better-buying strategy.

Also, I'm right there with you on the shapesand. I already have a jug of it. In fact, I've already used it for a number of things. When I was turned into a Necropolitian, I made it into an alter for my diety to I could get the desecrate bonus for my first 2hd. Not sure if this is RAW legal, but my DM was fine with it anyways.

satorian
2012-01-15, 08:12 PM
Just let me get this straight: you had a bag of holding and were able to teleport at level 3?

candycorn
2012-01-15, 08:20 PM
Yes, the DM is generous with WBL.

I would personally recommend purchasing a base of operations. A keep or a house in a neutral area. It would enable you to use the wealth without unbalancing the game, and amounts to essentially a new location for you, one that is presumably friendly.

SirFredgar
2012-01-15, 08:28 PM
Just let me get this straight: you had a bag of holding and were able to teleport at level 3?

Yes our group had a bag of holding, it happen to be in the Kobold's poession at the time. No, we cannot teleport on our own, we have to pay NPC wizards to do it for us. This game world is massive, and without purchasing teleports we'd prolly still be in the desert my character is from.

Yes, the DM is generous with WBL.

I would personally recommend purchasing a base of operations. A keep or a house in a neutral area. It would enable you to use the wealth without unbalancing the game, and amounts to essentially a new location for you, one that is presumably friendly.

So far the mage's guild has been a great base of operations for us, so I don't think we need another one just yet. This is a great idea though, and kind of helps out our GM by sinking that money into something that isn't mechanically advantagous, but as for IC reasoning, it wouldn't make much sense to our characters atm, unfortunatly.

Heliomance
2012-01-17, 05:35 AM
Hide in Plain Sight allows you to use the Hide skill even when being observed. It does not enable you to use the Hide skill when normal conditions would not allow you to hide, i.e. you still need some sort of cover or concealment.
Not quite true, actually. Pretty much every printed version of HiPS is different, and if memory serves, the one you get from the Dark template is a [Su] ability that allows you to hide even without cover or concealment, as long as there are shadows.

An HHH is only 2000 gp, within WBL at level 3.

olentu
2012-01-17, 06:04 AM
Not quite true, actually. Pretty much every printed version of HiPS is different, and if memory serves, the one you get from the Dark template is a [Su] ability that allows you to hide even without cover or concealment, as long as there are shadows.

Well that depends. There are two versions of the dark template. The one in tome of magic has the version of hide in plain sight that only removes the need to be unobserved. The one in some forgotten realms adventure (cormyr tearing of the weave I believe) gives the version of hide in plain sight that lets you hide without needing concealment.

So clearly there is a conflict between the two templates which needs to be resolved. Now normally the DM should choose the latest printed version, which would be the adventure one. However there is the following passage in the DMG "A rule found in a rulebook overrules one found in a published adventure, unless the rule presented in the published adventure deals with something specific and limited to the adventure itself." And so it would seem that the tome of magic version applies in all cases that are not strictly limited to cormyr tearing of the weave and the adventure version of the template applies to only cormyr tearing of the weave and nothing that extends anywhere outside the adventure.

Given the description they are probably not playing cormyr tearing of the weave but who knows perhaps the DM has chosen to allow the other template.

Callista
2012-01-17, 01:54 PM
Buy a castle! Your party can use it as a home base, and hire people to keep it up when they're not there. You can keep your stuff there, set your teleports and word-of-recalls there, house your followers and your servants... you could even become the lords of a little village that might grow up around your castle.

You don't want to use it to try to make your character a lot stronger, to buy insanely valuable magic items, etc. Might seem nice at first glance, but monsters at your level become so easy that the battles become boring, while monsters above your level are still powerful enough to kill you quickly because you have the hit points of a third-level character and the equipment of a 19th-level character. That wouldn't be fun at all--trust me, I've seen it. Go for something with much more general benefits, like the castle; or funding your own business, like a mercenary company or an order of knights or a thieves' guild. Don't go buy crazy magic items; that'll backfire on you.

elvengunner69
2012-01-17, 02:11 PM
10. Dread Necromancer 8 / SandShaper 1 / Dread Witch 1 // Dread Witch 4 / Cloistered Cleric 7

That's level 3?

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-01-17, 02:23 PM
There was a ring that produced a Desecrate effect, which might be of use, although your Cleric levels seem to be doing a good job of letting you Desecrate/Unhallow.

I remember once I had a party who decided to play 'Pimp My Dungeon Mule'. It would be good for lulz and for a money sink.

Basically, the donkey was magebred and wartrained. Then he got a Golden Tooth of Sustenance (it did take up one of the two 'ring' slots for the donkey), Horseshoes of Speed (with an activated Haste effect 3/day with the command word 'NOS'), twin bull's eye lanterns with Continual Flame inside them (later upgraded to Lanterns of Revealing), a pair of regular lanterns hanging in the back with red-tinted lenses, a pack saddle which was filled with haversacks and bags of holding. We also threw on a heavy gold chain which functioned as a Necklace of Adaptation.

Then we threw on Barding, then Armor Spikes on top of the Barding, enchanted with Defending and set to maximum defense. Spent quite a bit on the metallic color-shift gradient paint job too.

Then, of course, to protect our dungeon mule, the party Wizard took it as his Familiar (he took Improved Familiar to get away with it). Which means, in addition to the rest of the stuff, it also had Improved Evasion and could share spells with the Sorcerer. So it was running around with Persisted Improved Mirror Image, Overland Flight (since he was sharing it with the party pack mule, he figured it was better than phantom steed), and other assorted protectives.

That sort of thing can blow through money real fast if you aren't careful, but it can let you move around in style, and make the GM laugh so hard he forgets to get you back for blowing the top off of the WBL chart.

Tyndmyr
2012-01-17, 02:26 PM
For the sake of a concise post I left out the exact details of the event. Weight: Not a problem. He had a bag of holding. Concealment wasn't a problem with the furnature in the room, their facing towards the small fire in the large room with no other lightsource, as well as having curtains to hide behind.

But yes, I do know this is WAY beyond out WBL. And I DO know that it may get taken away, hence why we are teleporting to a Neutral City State (ie one not connected to the kingdom we robbed), and paying for anything in that kingdom in straight gold. My goal is to spend this money without buying anything that might over-cheeze the game. Essentially, I'm attempting to liquidate the Plat into non-traceable magic items (my hat of disguise will be utlized during purchases and I have max ranks + hefty charisma)

Honestly...I'd dump it into wishes for inherent bonuses(can't take that away, after all, and isn't likely to break anything), with a possible side order of finding a lawful temple, and making arrangements(with prepayment) to true rez me if anything unfortunate happens.

Slipperychicken
2012-01-17, 02:45 PM
Invest in stocks and bonds, laundering the money first so no one can track it. Use divinations to learn which investments are good, so the DM can't screw with you on those. I'd say that being both immortal and fabulously wealthy makes for a good time to retire.

big teej
2012-01-17, 04:06 PM

at the risk of being too snarky.... pointing out the impossibility of something isn't really helpful for someone looking for suggestions after the fact the impossible has happened.

though I agree with your assessment.

SirFredgar
2012-01-17, 06:30 PM

That's level 3?

I am currently Dread Necromancer 3//Cloisered Cleric 3. I simply provided my entire build so those actually participating in this thread would have some idea of where I was going with my character. I think it helped, as DMofDarkness recommended some pretty fabulous and build-specfic items.

To Those that say this couldn't have been done: I disagree. Why? Because it was done. He had cover, and concealment, from the lighting in the room, the furnature, and and maybe even a spell I'm not familiar with. I don't know the exact spec he is using, but our DM does.

What I think you mean is it shouldn't have been done. That very well may be true. I don't know if this little bump was intentional (as several circumstances had to align perfectly for us to even put hands on the money in the first place) or an oversight on our DMs part. As a fellow DM, if it is an oversight I'll do my best to help him buy not completely breaking his game (as I could do by picking up +rebuke level gear, I realized after looking at it). If it was intentional, however, I'll find out what it's leading to on Sat.

For everyone else:
Great suggestions all around. I really like the Keep/Castle suggestions, but I'm not sure I could swing that IC without getting noticed by the pirates we stole from. I'd really like to use the investment idea, so I can just put the money away till it's more appropriate to use, but I don't have divinations powerfull enough at this level to gauge their value long term.

The pimp my mule is a great idea, actually. I've been constantly having carry and travel problems, as everyone else in the party seems to have some method of fast travel and a bag of holding already. I think we were above WBL already, not by an obscene amount, but I ended up blowing all of this on my transformation into a Necropolitian, as well as hiring a cleric to cast Desecrate during the cerimony with a CL high enough for the 24 hour duration.

So yeah, still not sure what to spend the money on, if anything... but thanks for all the great suggestions. If nothing else it's help me build a shopping list for levels 4-20.

Edit: One last thing, about the Pimp my mule: I was suriously considering this, but killing the animal and animating it as a skeleton then rebuking/commanding it. It's a little bit more my character's style, but do you think this would work?

fryplink
2012-01-17, 09:32 PM
Grab utility items, ones that don't break games, but make them smoother with less paperwork. If you grab a half dozen candles (you know which ones I mean) the DM will take them away. If you grab that recharging scroll thing (an eternal scroll if you will [I forget which book]) of shadow walk [is less game breaking than teleport, but does the same job], or a haversack so tracking weight isn't important the DM won't notice the hike in power because there wasn't one, the only change was that everyone's character sheets got easier to manage.

items (generically written, because names are hard):
those pigments
object of fast travel
storage space!
Non-Consumables, especially eternal wands (ETW).
-ETW of Alter and Disguise self
-ETW of Invisible Servant
-ETW of Amanuensis
-ETW of Prestidigitation
-ETW of Shield/Mage armor (more useful than you think)
-ETW of Summon Trap Finder I (x2)
-ETW of Purify food/drink
-ETW of Detect Magic
-ETW of Protection from Heretics (whatever alignment you aren't)
-ETW of Nondectection
-ETW of Dispel Magic
-ETW of Suggestion
-ETW of Charm
-ETW of Water Breathing
-ETW of X Image
-ETW of tiny hut/rope trick
With the exception of that Protection from X and Suggestion, you won't be killing any show stoppers in a round, but you'll be better set to challenge them when you meet the show stopper. And, they are spells that are always useful. Some are rather obvious, but, look at Amanuensis, usually useless, until you get to the happens-every-campaign library scene where you need info but are on a timer. BAM! you have all the books. or Charm, those guards are old chums not threats. The DM will almost never notice the very real edge some of these effects give you, yet some of these effects can mean fighting the BBEG ready to go and fighting the BBEG with half your spells missing.

elvengunner69
2012-01-18, 12:25 PM
I am currently Dread Necromancer 3//Cloisered Cleric 3. I simply provided my entire build so those actually participating in this thread would have some idea of where I was going with my character. I think it helped, as DMofDarkness recommended some pretty fabulous and build-specfic items.

Wasn't being snarky - just asking as it seemed based on that you were higher than lvl 3 - In my opinion of your DM let it happen then it happened - mechanics making sense or not doesn't really even matter at the point because beyond rule books it's the DMs world (at least in a sense).

Suddo
2012-01-18, 01:20 PM

HHH only holds up to 80 lbs.

You'd have to have a type 2 Bag of Holding costing 5k to do this which is almost double the WBL of a level 3 character. Reference (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm).
Though as a side note I really don't mind the fact that your DM is making a really interesting game scenario.

You actually have enough money to warp the world around you at 3rd level as long as you don't draw attention to yourselves (the key part of the equation). My suggestion: Now in step by step form
1) Find a village nearby and hang out there get to know the people.
2) Find someone who will craft wondrous items for you (either one that lives there or one that will move their). This is because I assume you don't have someone who can craft wondrous items as a feat. I think it can't be done till 5th level. You can also just wait till then if you don't want to be dependant on a NPC which is a good idea.
3) Make the crafter, PC or NPC, make everfull mugs and everlasting rations for everyone in the village.
4) Hand them out to all the villagers. Make the rules simple I'm your king and you don't let everyone know about this. In exchange you'll never go hungry again in your life.
5) Create a local government. Hire some locals and have them be your assistants and such.
6) Explain to all the locals this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19573350/D38;D_Commoners_Make_Plenty_of_Money). And how them doing this allows you to more easily make them more money and make things all around better.
7) Now you should make 5 gold per week per family. That's about half the income of each family assuming they keep to farming and simply trading.
8) Try and grind out some number to increase this.
9) Have the villagers start taking levels other than commoner. Take some of them with you on adventures.
10) Have your empire grow.
11) Conquer everyone.
12) World domination.

That's the 12 step plan. I don't know your group set up but assuming you have 1 person as the face who has 6 ranks in diplomacy and a charisma modifier then you can have him go around town taking 20s and making everyone love you for step 1. Keep adventuring till you can someone can take craft wondrous items for step 2. Then the rest is easy. Each family will give you a return on investment in about 5 year, 350 for everflowing mug & 250 for rations (if I remember) meaning 600. After you guys hanging out with them long enough take some of the adventuring aged people out with you. This assume just the simple explanation.
Have them carry stuff, maybe use a sling, make them feel important and always give them a cut of the treasure. This should give them experience to either retrain the first level or take a second level. If they take Warrior then they'll help with defense against goblins or stuff. If they take a level in Expert they suddenly become very good at stuff. Maybe they can help with diplomacy and trades (taking all social skills) or maybe just help with odd ball stuff around town. Every once in a while you'll get someone who will become a caster who you will want to take great care of.

Edit: Craft Wondrous Item is a 3rd feat. Quick someone get it. And try and get an artificer 5 on someone.
Edit, Edit: You can also just not charge as much for takes but that just depends on how much diplomacy you have.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-01-18, 01:36 PM
Edit: One last thing, about the Pimp my mule: I was suriously considering this, but killing the animal and animating it as a skeleton then rebuking/commanding it. It's a little bit more my character's style, but do you think this would work?

Sure, it would increase the mule's strength, particularly if done within a desecrated area with an altar it would vastly increase its hit points, however you may wish to provide it with a Golden Tooth of Evasion rather than Sustenance, since it no longer requires sustenance.

As it isn't a familiar or animal companion, it has no way of gaining additional hit points, and no longer has a method of sharing spells with anyone, unless you are able to pick up Improved Familiar and stitched-flesh familiar.

You may wish to use Horseshoes of a Zephyr rather than Speed for fly speed, since you can't share Overland Flight with it.