PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Question about the Evolutionist Summoner

Laniius
2012-01-15, 06:16 PM
It may not be the mnost powerful version of the summoner, but it fits my character concept perfectly. Anyway, I have a question about the 6th level ability, Mutate Eidolon. On the SRD, it says

"Mutate Eidolon (Su)
At 6th level, an evolutionist can change his eidolon’s evolutions as if he had gained a level. To mutate his eidolon, the evolutionist must perform an arcane ritual that requires 24 hours of uninterrupted concentration and costs 200 gp per summoner level in material components.

This ability replaces maker’s call."

On first reading this looks to be saying that they only get the Mutate ability once, when gaining 6th level. That seems kind of dumb, as the base summoner is able to change the eidolon's evolutions when gaining a level anyway. Am I reading it incorrectly? One can also read it to say that the evolutionist can change the eidolon's evolutions around whenever they feel like it, as long as they have 24 hours and the money handy?

Belril Duskwalk
2012-01-15, 06:24 PM
"Mutate Eidolon (Su)
At 6th level, an evolutionist can change his eidolon’s evolutions as if he had gained a level. To mutate his eidolon, the evolutionist must perform an arcane ritual that requires 24 hours of uninterrupted concentration and costs 200 gp per summoner level in material components.

This ability replaces maker’s call."

On first reading this looks to be saying that they only get the Mutate ability once, when gaining 6th level. That seems kind of dumb, as the base summoner is able to change the eidolon's evolutions when gaining a level anyway. Am I reading it incorrectly? One can also read it to say that the evolutionist can change the eidolon's evolutions around whenever they feel like it, as long as they have 24 hours and the money handy?

You can Mutate your Eildolon whenever you have 24 hours and the expensive material components on hand. Most class abilities in PF are listed starting with "At Xth level". It doesn't mean they can only do it once, it means at Xth level they gain the ability to do it however often the rest of the description says. In the case of the Evolutionist, you could apparently do it every day for a week if you could stay awake (and afford it).

Laniius
2012-01-15, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the response! That's what I thought. As for the sleeping, my Summoner is a tiefling with the Fiendish Heritage feat - I don't sleep. Ever. I built my eidolon in a fit of inspiration, and am constantly tinkering with it.

Laniius
2012-01-15, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the response! That's what I thought. As for the sleeping, my Summoner is a tiefling with the Fiendish Heritage feat - I don't sleep. Ever. I built my eidolon in a fit of inspiration, and am constantly tinkering with it.