PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Classes Stacking Help

Hanuman
2012-01-15, 07:09 PM
My current setup is:

Psion4 (Int)
Ardent1 (Wis)
Ironmind5 (PrC)

How does the Ardent stack with this? Ironmind5 grants +4 manifest advancement to Psion.

Manateee
2012-01-15, 08:50 PM
Ardent 1:
2 powers known, ML 1
Psion 8:
17 powers known, ML 10 (assuming practiced manifester is the ML bump)

EDIT: Ohp, I misunderstood the "+4 ML from Iron Mind" thing. The above psion ML should only be 8 (but it bumps back up to 10 if you take Practiced Manifester.... and you probably should).

Where you learn which powers matters:
The above MLs are used for the powers learned from each class.
They apply to PP investment caps, durations, effects, etc.

Assuming Practiced Manifester does not grant extra PP for high ability scores (it's a terribly worded feat)

Total PP:
2 from Ardent
58 from Psion

So 60 base PP, plus whatever bonus PP you get for your Wis at ML 1 and your Int at ML 8.

Psyren
2012-01-15, 10:31 PM
My current setup is:

Psion4 (Int)
Ardent1 (Wis)
Ironmind5 (PrC)

How does the Ardent stack with this? Ironmind5 grants +4 manifest advancement to Psion.

Iron Mind, like most other psionic PrCs, lets you choose which class to apply its ML boost to. But assuming you meant that you applied the increase to Psion, your Ardent ML would be 1.

FMArthur
2012-01-15, 11:10 PM
The only thing about independent psionic class progressions that even interacts with one another is your power point pool which is shared by simple addition. Everything else is separate for each class, as if you had no other. Having Ardent levels doesn't influence your Psion manifesting except to add the amount of power points that particular level of Ardent would give you.

So when you advance one of your two manifesting classes with a prestige class, the same follows. You're just advancing one. The two still have separate manifester levels, powers known and everything else.

Flickerdart
2012-01-15, 11:17 PM
Ardent only does its thing if you boost its ML. Boosting the ML of another class doesn't help you.

erikun
2012-01-16, 02:25 AM
Ardent is unusual in how they learn new powers. Most manifesting classes state specifically the highest level power they can learn at a particular level. For example, a 10th level Psion can only learn 5th-level powers. Period. It doesn't matter if it is a Psion 10, a Fighter 10/Psion 10, or a Psion 1/Fighter 4/Slayer 10, they are still limited to knowing 5th-level Psion powers.

Ardents are a bit different. The class basically says "you learn a new power at a level that you can manifest". For a single-classed character, the level you can manifest will be equal to your character level. If you have a way of increasing your manifester level for the Ardent, though, you can get powers "above" the usual progression of the class.

Consider the following character:
Ardent 1/Fighter 4/Ardent 1

When they get their 2nd level or Ardent, they are a 2nd level manifester. They have 6 PP per day (from the Ardent class), get their third psionic mantle (from Ardent 2), and can spend up to 2 PP on a power. Because second-level powers require 3 PP, they will still be limited to learning a new first-level power.

Now consider this character:
Ardent 1/Fighter 4/Ardent 1
Practiced Manifester (Ardent) feat

In this case, the character has a manifester level of 6. The Practiced Manifester feat gives +4 manifester level, up to the character's maximum hit dice. They would still have 6 PP per day, as a standard Ardent 2. They would still be getting their third psionic mantle, as a standard Ardent 2.

However, because they have a manifester level of 6, and thus can manifest powers up to 6 PP, they could learn a third-level power... despite only having two levels of Ardent.

--

Relating back to your character, you didn't mention anything that increased the Ardent's manifester level. As such, you still have an Ardent manifester level of 1, and are limited to the usual 1st-level powers of a standard Ardent. You have a Psion manifester level of 8, and so have the powers of an 8th level Psion.

Note that the Practiced Manifester feat requires you to have the class before taking it, because it can only be applied to a class you possess, so it would not be possible to have a single Ardent level with 3rd-level powers. You could, however, do something like Ardent 1/Cleric 3/Ardent 1 (easy Psychic Theurge (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925b) entry) or Ardent 1/Swordsage 4/Ardent 1 (psionic Jade Phoenix Mage entry).

Hanuman
2012-01-16, 09:59 AM
Ah ok, so essentially Wis, Cha and Int driven psionics, or perhaps one from each type of psionic class, work like different casters.

Such as Wiz1/Clr1 for Psion1/Ardent1, except that they draw from the same PP?

Good tip on the practiced manifestor, but I think I'm going to stay at ML8 just because I think it helps balance the character out.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=361313

I'm using 32 pointbuy, and we have a few other houserules in place for skillpoints, HP, ect.

Yuki Akuma
2012-01-16, 10:01 AM
All different classes work like different casters. Even if you were an Ardent/Psychic Warrior, who both use Wis, you wouldn't stack your ML.

But you do stack the power points, because they all go into a central pool, which can be filled by PP from sources that aren't classes! The same goes for the essentia pool - an Incarnate/Totemist can use essentia gained from one class to empower the soulmelds from the other.

Hanuman
2012-01-16, 10:13 AM
Here's a question, if I'm moving can I use powers, such as "shot on the run" works? Move, use part way through move, end move?

Yuki Akuma
2012-01-16, 10:24 AM
Unless you have something that lets you, or an extra move action for some reason, absolutely not.

Flyby Attack would let you. Shot on the Run doesn't.

Hanuman
2012-01-16, 10:38 AM
So Psionic Fly + Flyby attack is the best option? Or is there a more user friendly way to have fly available to a maximum 20,000g budget?

Hah, you'd think skate-by attack would be an option here.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-01-16, 10:41 AM
Unless you have something that lets you, or an extra move action for some reason, absolutely not.

Flyby Attack would let you. Shot on the Run doesn't.

So something like Hustle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/hustle.htm)? You can get it with Expanded knowledged at level 6 if going non-egoist psion or Ardent (can't recall if it is on any mantle, though it seems like a good fit for Freedom mantle)

sreservoir
2012-01-16, 10:49 AM
that feathered wings graft, fiend folio, I think. 10k gp, drives you insane if you're good, makes you do evil if you're non-evil. doesn't seem to do anything to the already-evil?

Hanuman
2012-01-16, 10:58 AM
that feathered wings graft, fiend folio, I think. 10k gp, drives you insane if you're good, makes you do evil if you're non-evil. doesn't seem to do anything to the already-evil?
Interesting! The character is stacked up to be a LN paladin but having the wings would add additional depth.

How it matches the concept art is gravy. http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8554/knightbytahrad4m3lpg.jpg

EDIT

Ok I've found the graft-- this is suitable! It requires one DC15/day or will perform evil acts, I have an ability to add +12 to my will save 2/day, giving me a total of +24 so far so I should be good, even if I don't have that for some reason it should only be about a 10% chance/day that I get tempted which should settle at 5 in one or two levels.

The wings cant lift the psion so I don't think I'll take the feat, he is simply too heavily geared (he wears heavy play, full plate's badass cousin) which alone overcomes his 16str light load, let alone weapons, ect.