PDA

View Full Version : Mechanatrix Shock Therapy Build

DemonRoach
2012-01-15, 08:43 PM
Desperate to avoid doing the housework piling up around me, I'm making back up builds for the 3.5 game I play in.

Scrolling through random races, I have found the hilarity that is the Mechanatrix, partial construct humanoids that have a healing effect from electricity attacks.

I was pondering if there was a way to have a field of electricity or such that would zap nearby enemies whilst healing me.

Game info:

Setting: Ravenloft (DM is quite relaxed, but as we tend more to an RP heavy game with one or two combats a session, that effects the usefulness of some things. Lack of a battle map reduces the use of attack of opportunity and undead are somewhat prevalent, so things such as sneak attack aren't very relevant).

Stats are: 8, 12, 14, 15, 15, 17 (4d6 pick 3, rolled well :-)

Race effects: -2 Dex, -2 Cha, +2 Int, +2 Con

Level: 7, xp is slow so effectiveness from that level would be required.

Optimization is mild, but it is always better to be effective and restrained than potentially useless. Other characters are a Necropolitan Dread Necromancer, a Duskblade, a Ranger Archer and a Were-rat something (Player unreliable though).

Um...I think that's it...

Any assistance is appreciated :smallsmile:

Randomguy
2012-01-16, 12:59 AM
If you're a wizard you can get lightning ring at level 15. Share the spell with your familiar and stand next to him, so his ring heals you. He can also blast through you to heal you and hurt others simultaneously. The downside is you need a way for your familiar to be immune to lightning damage, but that's fairly easy with the elemental immunity spell or with a familiar that's already immune, possibly a shocker lizard but i'm not sure if they are.

You could get a spark guardian or shocker lizard as a familiar as well, for free out of battle healing.

There are probably some other spells that are similar to lightning ring.

You could find other ways to cast lightning spells and get caught in the middle, like with arc of lightning (the arc is between two creatures so you could make it hit you) or ball lightning.

There's scintilating sphere (think fireball doing lightning damage) centered on self, or just sculpt spelled lightning bolt.

Lastly, there's thunderhead, which you could cast on yourself for your own version of lesser vigor.

Wizard + lightning magic and a familiar with a lightning attack should work fine. You're a wizard: it's hard to screw that up, even if you decide to be a blaster. Just don't ban evocation. The int and con bonuses help, too. You could also take energy substitution (lightning) and see what other spells you could benefit from. As a wizard, there's no way you can be useless, and you probably won't be too strong since you'd be mostly blasting, so you should be fine.

Aren't undead immune to electricity, though? That would be a sever handicap when blasting with lightning against them. Energy substitution would help, though.

mucco
2012-01-16, 01:14 AM
I have a Mechanatrix Psion/Uncarnate that often uses electricity to blast&heal. There is a psionic power that creates a field, but it's not that great. Instead, I use Energy Bolt, including myself in the area of the spell.

Uncarnate makes me become incorporeal, which is an awesome defensive move, so the (slow) healing of the racial trait actually matters. Plus there's the bonus of playing a Phantom Robot from Outer Space! :smallbiggrin:

Prime32
2012-01-16, 11:30 AM
Are you using the Lesser Planetouched rules to remove the LA in exchange for being a Humanoid with vulnerabilities rather than an Outsider?

The lightning gauntlets soulmeld lets you deal electricity damage at will. (since you're part-robot you can fluff incarnum as diverting power between your systems)