PDA

View Full Version : Druid help

Doomboy911
2012-01-15, 09:08 PM
I'm working on a build with a druid. My basic goal is to be able to turn into anything. With five levels of druid and ten levels of master of many forms I can do a ton of transformations but I lack five things; the ability to turn into colossal creatures, the ability to turn into constructs, the ability to turn into undead, the ability to turn into magical beasts, and finally the ability to turn into outsiders. If I can pull these off I kind of become invincible so any suggestions for classes or feats I should take?

Snowbluff
2012-01-15, 09:52 PM
I like "Natural Spell".

And "Natural Bond".

"Extend Spell"

"Luminous Armor"

"Combat Reflexes"

Doomboy911
2012-01-15, 10:17 PM
Well I was sort of looking for feats that help me turn into those things I need.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-15, 10:47 PM
If you want to go for maximum power, just take Druid 20. If you want to nerf your overall power, take some levels of Master of Many forms. Just letting you know! Remember, as a Druid, you can get these:

Natural Spell, Players Handbook
Dragon Wild Shape, Draconomicon (see: http://web.archive.org/web/20080919131238/http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-404381 )
Exalted Wild Shape, Book of Exalted Deeds
Frozen Wild Shape, Frostburn (Cryohydra!!)
Assume Supernatural Ability, Savage Species
Multiattack, Monster Manual
Improved Natural Attack, Monster Manual

Doomboy911
2012-01-15, 11:16 PM
But if I take the master of many forms class than I can turn into a great deal of things. I understand that the druid alone is fairly powerful but my goal is to be able to turn into pretty much any creature of any size and use it's abilities and if I take the master of many forms class than I get the added bonus of being able to do all that while staying human.

olentu
2012-01-15, 11:21 PM
But if I take the master of many forms class than I can turn into a great deal of things. I understand that the druid alone is fairly powerful but my goal is to be able to turn into pretty much any creature of any size and use it's abilities and if I take the master of many forms class than I get the added bonus of being able to do all that while staying human.

On the other claw, shapechange.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-15, 11:35 PM

Druid can already do that! It's called Shapechange. You know, the spell? Wild Shape is for long duration stuff, shapechange is for 'getting any of these SU abilities': http://web.archive.org/web/20080611085922/http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-226959

And remember, look at the google document I linked to you in PM... that's what you can do with standard Druid, along with Shapechange!

And whyever would one want to stay in human form? Steel Dragon is better!

Elric VIII
2012-01-15, 11:47 PM
Is your plan is Druid 5/MoMF 10/(Warshaper or Druid) 5?

If this is the case, I recommend Wildshape Mystic Ranger instead of Druid. Mystic Ranger is a variant that delays combat styles and sacrifices Animal Companion in order to get spell levels 0-5 at the same proression rate as a full caster (you stop getting new spell levels at 10). Wildshape Ranger trades away combat styles completely in order to get Wildshape with the same progression as a Druid. You get increased BAB, HP, and skills. But the big thing is that you can eventually get access to Polymorph via Sword of the Arcane Order.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-15, 11:54 PM
Wildshaping Mystic Ranger Sword of the Arcane Order doesn't have the raw power of Druid, though. It's still good, of course...

Venusaur
2012-01-16, 12:31 AM
Planar shepherd allows you to turn into outsiders IIRC. Blighter gives undead wildshape.

Doomboy911
2012-01-16, 01:20 AM
Fantastic now all I need is magical beasts constructs is probably completely out of the question but colossal and magical beasts should be doable.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-16, 01:21 AM
Is your plan is Druid 5/MoMF 10/(Warshaper or Druid) 5?

If this is the case, I recommend Wildshape Mystic Ranger instead of Druid. Mystic Ranger is a variant that delays combat styles and sacrifices Animal Companion in order to get spell levels 0-5 at the same proression rate as a full caster (you stop getting new spell levels at 10). Wildshape Ranger trades away combat styles completely in order to get Wildshape with the same progression as a Druid. You get increased BAB, HP, and skills. But the big thing is that you can eventually get access to Polymorph via Sword of the Arcane Order.

Druids and rangers both have d8 hit dice, actually, so you don't get increased HP. Doesn't make you any less right though, Wildshape Ranger is the golden entry for Master of Many Forms (especially since you get Endurance as a bonus feat).

Exalted Wild Shape and Frozen Wild Shape can get you the ability to turn into Good and [Cold] magical beasts. Venusaur is also right, that a blighter gives you undead wild shape. (Blighter is from Complete Divine)

As for constructs, I don't really know of a way to change into one.

Doomboy911
2012-01-17, 01:39 AM
Tell me what you think I'll be doing a campaign where the party is going to take over the nine rings. I decided to be a human while everyone else is going as a devil. Since it's gestalt I decided to run with this build where we're starting at lvl 18.
5 rogue
1 barbarian
10 frenzied berserker
3 cleric

5 druid
10 master of many forms
3 more of rogue

We all know I'm going to be unstoppable.

Duskranger
2012-01-17, 01:56 AM
If you really want to be unstoppable and want to play a Druid, and prolly I will be kicked by other players for suggesting this:

Planar Shepherd, a class from Faiths of Eberron at lvl 9 of this PrC you can transform to all outsiders animals and magical beasts native to the plane. With as an added bonus having also their Su abilities (as in wish if you transform into an Efreet or solar for example).

Besides this it also increases your possibilities and Effective Druid Level for: WildShape, Animal Companion and Spellcasting

Little Brother
2012-01-17, 01:58 AM
Tell me what you think I'll be doing a campaign where the party is going to take over the nine rings. I decided to be a human while everyone else is going as a devil. Since it's gestalt I decided to run with this build where we're starting at lvl 18.
5 rogue
1 barbarian
10 frenzied berserker
3 cleric

5 druid
10 master of many forms
3 more of rogue

We all know I'm going to be unstoppable.Uh, dude? You're only allowed to take one PrC at a time.

And if you REALLY want colossal/whatever, just Wildshape into an Ethergaunt for Shapechange. Just change back whenever you need it again, but really, it's like 10 minutes/level or some such, you shouldn't need to do it that much.

Also, your barbarian side is totally unoptimized. I would just do something simple, like Factotum or some such. It is recommended to have a passive side and an active side in Gestalt, and you have two mediocre active sides.

EDIT: To guy above me: You forgot the 10x time rate trick.

Duskranger
2012-01-17, 02:05 AM
EDIT: To guy above me: You forgot the 10x time rate trick.

Nahh, I hate that trick I let it out with reason. I wish to play a powerfull flavorfull class, not destroying a campaign by beating everything into the ground.

Besides I do think you won't get xp that way since you are for that in the realm of dreams ergo you are not real. You can't die or grow stronger.

Doomboy911
2012-01-17, 01:20 PM
Wait why can't I do two prestige classes at the same time? Also the barbarian side is unoptimized but only because it has the awesome effect of being near unkillable. Also what's that magical item that makes it so you stay in your armor while wildshaping. I ask because I intend to take the monkey grip feat and the wrecker class so I could wildshape into a storm giant with a collosal + sword. Than I go into a frenzy and do the whirlwind attack. (I could level a few blocks in one round. Despite being unoptimized.)

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-17, 01:24 PM
Wait why can't I do two prestige classes at the same time?

Says so in the gestalt rules in Unearthed Arcana. "You may not have a prestige class on both sides of the gestalt at the same time". Because it's broken as hell, probably.

Doomboy911
2012-01-17, 09:37 PM
Alright I have to ask is there any kind of feat or class out there that lets me use the supernatural abilities of what I turn into?

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-17, 09:39 PM
Alright I have to ask is there any kind of feat or class out there that lets me use the supernatural abilities of what I turn into?

It's called Assume Supernatural Ability, it's from Savage Species, it requires a DC 19 Will save and a bunch of other terrible wording.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-17, 09:44 PM
It's called Assume Supernatural Ability, it's from Savage Species, it requires a DC 19 Will save and a bunch of other terrible wording.

Which I already mentioned! This feat I mean, I mentioned it...

Doomboy911
2012-01-17, 10:14 PM
Hmm Being human gives me a bonus feat if I take a fighter level than I get another feat if I spend the first level on fighter I can grab cleave and power attack for the fighter feats and the other on alertness grab five levels of barbarian taking the two rage feats I need at 4th and 6th level. Ten levels of frenzied berserker ( I totally forget what levels I get feats) Make sure to grab leadership for my own reason.

Now with the druid I take five levels of druid grabbing endurance. Once I reach level 10 master of many forms grab colossal wild shape. What I need to know is at what levels do I actually get feats since I can't remember to save my life.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-17, 10:22 PM
You get feats at 1st, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level. (And every 3 levels after that)

Rossebay
2012-01-17, 10:35 PM
Which I already mentioned! This feat I mean, I mentioned it...

Gold Star for you!

@Doomboy...

Frenzied Berserker. Grab Righteous Wrath, or slaughter your entire party.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-17, 10:43 PM
Hmm Being human gives me a bonus feat if I take a fighter level than I get another feat if I spend the first level on fighter I can grab cleave and power attack for the fighter feats and the other on alertness grab five levels of barbarian taking the two rage feats I need at 4th and 6th level. Ten levels of frenzied berserker ( I totally forget what levels I get feats) Make sure to grab leadership for my own reason.

Now with the druid I take five levels of druid grabbing endurance. Once I reach level 10 master of many forms grab colossal wild shape. What I need to know is at what levels do I actually get feats since I can't remember to save my life.

So... why are you lowering the power of your build? I'm not saying don't lower the power of your build, I'm saying, what is your reasoning for wanting to dilute Druid20 or Druid10/Planar Shepherd 10?

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-17, 11:17 PM
@Doomboy...

Frenzied Berserker. Grab Righteous Wrath, or slaughter your entire party.

This assumes the OP wants to be Neutral Good (Good required for Righteous Wrath, Neutral required for druid). He might not have that desire.

Duskranger
2012-01-18, 01:31 AM
So... why are you lowering the power of your build? I'm not saying don't lower the power of your build, I'm saying, what is your reasoning for wanting to dilute Druid20 or Druid10/Planar Shepherd 10?

He wants a colossal wildshape, even though druid10/Planar Shepherd10 gives him the supernatural abilities of everything he wildshapes in, makes him able to transform into outsiders, magical beasts, plants etcetera

Greenish
2012-01-18, 06:16 AM
Fantastic now all I need is magical beasts constructs is probably completely out of the question but colossal and magical beasts should be doable.You could start out as a construct. Bonus points, warforged keep their armour (if from feats) and immunities while Wildshaped.

Duskranger
2012-01-18, 06:20 AM
You could start out as a construct. Bonus points, warforged keep their armour (if from feats) and immunities while Wildshaped.

Besides the fact that they lose all Druids Abilities, since Warforged wear metal armor (unless you take the Ironwood body feat)

Greenish
2012-01-18, 06:33 AM
Besides the fact that they lose all Druids Abilities, since Warforged wear metal armor (unless you take the Ironwood body feat)First, basic plating doesn't interfere with your druid class features (it's not armour), and second, be a wildshape ranger. :smalltongue:

Duskranger
2012-01-18, 06:38 AM
First, basic plating doesn't interfere with your druid class features (it's not armour), and second, be a wildshape ranger. :smalltongue:

Actually, if you check it it does, why else is there a feet called unarmored. A warforged is always armored.

And a wildshape ranger screws up his plan sadly with the only medium and small critters.

Greenish
2012-01-18, 06:45 AM
Actually, if you check it it does, why else is there a feet called unarmored.Flavour, body slot, ASF. Also nothing to do with whether the Composite Plating is armour.

A warforged is always armored.That's just not true. Crack open your ECS on page 23 and read the actual entry on Composite Plating.

And a wildshape ranger screws up his plan sadly with the only medium and small critters.His plan is to go MoMF.

Duskranger
2012-01-18, 06:50 AM
Flavour, body slot, ASF. Also nothing to do with whether the Composite Plating is armour.

That's just not true. Crack open your ECS on page 23 and read the actual entry on Composite Plating.

His plan is to go MoMF.

Most DM's rule it tht it is armor.

And did not know that MoMF was giving the size increasements and such. In that case wildshape ranger is better than Druid

Greenish
2012-01-18, 07:00 AM
Most DM's rule it tht it is armor.Maybe most of the DMs you play with houserule it, but you can't really generalize from that.

And did not know that MoMF was giving the size increasements and such.Large at 2nd, Huge at 6th, Gargantuan at 10th.

Duskranger
2012-01-18, 07:06 AM
Maybe most of the DMs you play with houserule it, but you can't really generalize from that.

Large at 2nd, Huge at 6th, Gargantuan at 10th.

Not really most DM's I play with forbid Eberron books. Since we play in homebrew worlds with no warforged/shifters/changelings etcetera allowed.

And than he still needs collossal

Greenish
2012-01-18, 07:14 AM
Not really most DM's I play with forbid Eberron books. Since we play in homebrew worlds with no warforged/shifters/changelings etcetera allowed.If most of your DMs don't even allow Eberron books, how can you know how they (let alone most DMs in general) would houserule warforged plating?

And than he still needs collossalYeah, that's one of the points of this thread. :smallamused:

A great wyrm dragonwrought kobold could grab the epic feat for it at level 15, assuming druid or wildshape ranger 5/MoMF 10.

Doomboy911
2012-01-18, 07:17 AM
Yeah the planar shepherd is great and all but I can't go 10 levels druid 10 levels planar shepherd because I'm level 18 not 20 also it only lets me turn into outsiders and magical beasts from one plane out of too many for me to count. In the end I'd get more bang for my buck by running masters of many forms since I get; dragons, oozes, giants, aberattions, monstrous humanoids all while still getting feats I could use to get other stuff I don't get like the feat magical beast wildshape which isn't restricted to one plane.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-18, 10:48 AM
Not really most DM's I play with forbid Eberron books. Since we play in homebrew worlds with no warforged/shifters/changelings etcetera allowed.

You know several of those are in the monster manuals, with sections on how they appear in different settings?

Doomboy911
2012-01-20, 11:13 PM
Right one last question. When it comes to dragons we have chromatic and color with some of the dragons being kind of the opposite of each other. What would be the opposite of a green dragon like their hated enemy among types of dragons.

Urpriest
2012-01-21, 11:32 AM
Right one last question. When it comes to dragons we have chromatic and color with some of the dragons being kind of the opposite of each other. What would be the opposite of a green dragon like their hated enemy among types of dragons.

Hmm...Greens are LE, and live in forests, so we'd want something that's CG and lives in forests as well. CG Dragons include Copper and Brass. Of those, Brass lives in deserts. Copper Dragons live in Warm Hills, which is...close enough I guess? As a bonus, they're both immune to eachother's breath weapon.

Doomboy911
2012-01-21, 06:04 PM
fantastic Thank you end of thread