PDA

View Full Version : Making it up as you go along

Wiwaxia
2012-01-15, 11:03 PM
So lately I've been thinking of doing a 4e Sburb/Homestuck campaign. I'm going to stat out Sburb's Roles and Aspects as classes and races, respectively, with PCs gaining powers from both. However, as there are 12 of each, and I don't particularly feel like making 24 sets of powers that will mostly never be used, I was thinking of making powers a level or two ahead as the game progressed. This also allows me to make powers that fit with various PCs personalities and fighting styles, which fits the flavor of Sburb quite well.

Does this sound like a workable plan, or are there pitfalls I'm missing?

Duos Greanleef
2012-01-26, 03:02 PM
I don't know anything about Sburb, but I do know a little bit about allowing people to take powers from any class. Everyone ends up with a high DEX and CHA and use sly flourish. Constantly.

kyoryu
2012-01-26, 06:49 PM
So lately I've been thinking of doing a 4e Sburb/Homestuck campaign. I'm going to stat out Sburb's Roles and Aspects as classes and races, respectively, with PCs gaining powers from both. However, as there are 12 of each, and I don't particularly feel like making 24 sets of powers that will mostly never be used, I was thinking of making powers a level or two ahead as the game progressed. This also allows me to make powers that fit with various PCs personalities and fighting styles, which fits the flavor of Sburb quite well.

Does this sound like a workable plan, or are there pitfalls I'm missing?

I think that makes sense. While I know nothing about Sburb, I'd probably try to template your custom classes on existing ones, just to get an idea of how to build a (roughly) balanced powerset.

Also, using existing powers as templates is a good idea, but again, try to keep the templates from the same, or at least similar, classes.

You could go one step further and just ask the players for what kind of power they want, and then homebrew the power to meet their desires (again, using existing powers/classes as templates).