PDA

View Full Version : Awsome Spell Tattoos

Sinpoder
2012-01-16, 12:27 AM
Hello, in my DM's homebrew world he had created these tattoos which you can duplicate spells or items onto it. To off set this it is a 5% chance to kill PER spell level but for every point of Con Mod you have it reduces that by 5%.

In the campain i have a Paladin with a 28 Con and a Cleric with a 16 Con.... I am looking for good spells or items that would be awsome to tattoo into my characters. If you think of a spell or item, please give a source.

I will take all suggestions into consideration, no matter what!!!!

SamBurke
2012-01-16, 12:34 AM
The Paladin's OK for anything... so... SHAPECHANGE into a Solar. ??? Win. Forever.

It's not as easy for the Cleric, but get some low level goodies: High CL Mage Armor and such might help.

Sinpoder
2012-01-16, 12:42 AM
/Writes that down

Polymorph......

As for Cleric: I need something..... i do mean ANY item can be added... but it is just the issue that con is a problem but that can usually be fixed.. and he is planning on being a pyromancer or Necromancer.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-01-16, 12:55 AM
I'm not to familiar with the cleric spell lists, but I'd go for something defensive for him. Armor, buffs, that sort of thing.

Paladin? Hey just take your pick, nothing should be able to kill him.

DarkestKnight
2012-01-16, 01:26 AM
if you can continuously apply the spell then anything that boosts con would be groovy. as well, taking some of the cantrip or orisons would be nifty. prestidigitation at will is nice. grease would be funny but creepy. can we get more details on how they work? might be able to find better specific cards.

Sinpoder
2012-01-16, 01:48 AM
The Details are like this.

If i wanted to get lets say Identify put onto my body. Depending on what the DM says I can have it as a 1st level spell. That means that i have zero percent chance of dieing as long as i have a +1 con.

Now if i were to do an item for instance. A Ring of feather fall. That would cost me the base cost for whatever it took to make it. In this case Feather Fall which is a 1st level spell.

Of course if it takes more then one spell to create the item... like a Staff of Earth and Stone. I would have to take the base cost of Move Earth and Pass Wall. Which is 6 and 5 so that would be 11. That mean I naturally have a 55% chance of dieing when this tattoo is put on... and with con i can lower that down to 0% if i get it to an 11 Modifer

and i do not understand why prestidigitation at will would be good....

Sinpoder
2012-01-16, 02:51 PM
O and you may also PM me if you think of something..... remeber I am open to every and all idea...... and how does Spell Resistance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellResistance.htm) I know that the person i get my tattoos from is Epic Level.....

SamBurke
2012-01-16, 05:24 PM
How does the method of setting off work? Is it one charge, or infinite? Is it even worth, compared to scrolls etc? Do you need a check?

Also, are certain types of spells restricted; IE, fireball (which doesn't affect you) or some such?

Sinpoder
2012-01-16, 05:32 PM
It would be more or less the same thing as me casting it... without arcane spell failure. So if i had a fireball tattooed to me, I could cast it. I do not need to make any checks of any kind, besides maybe a Spell Resistance but then they would use whoever made the Tattoo.

It depends on what the DM wants to do... i could increase the Spell Level to make it infinite, but if not it would most likely be 1/day. If you have any more questions.. I will answer them as best as i can.

SamBurke
2012-01-16, 05:44 PM
Increasing spell level by RAW wouldn't make it infinite, it would make it a different spell... A "Spell Level" is the classification of that effect to pigeonhole it in a character's development.

However, it looks like it's a one-time shot, right? If so, I'd go with the affects you may or may not need regularly.

So, Feather Fall, Force Cage, Banishment, Mage's Disjunction, the things that you REALLY NEED when you need them, which isn't often.

Sinpoder
2012-01-16, 05:51 PM
It is a one shot.. for that day. That is the worst case with these tattoos because they do not get removed when you use them. And as i said this is a homebrew, so the DM can increase the duration to permanent if need be, which would at most cost 5 level because he would just use the Permanency spell. He uses Permanency in some strange ways sometimes. So i can have just about any spell attached to me... but it comes with risks.. and the risk of rolling crappy, which has happened to me.

DarkestKnight
2012-01-17, 11:40 AM
Knowing how frequently you can trigger the tattoos means a lot for picking spells. since you can only use it once a day, things like cure X wounds spells are not as important as situational spells as SamBurke pointed out.

The reason i suggested prestidigitation is because the spell is very useful for the little things, like making things clean, lighting bombs torches, and simply can make life easier for a low cost.

Due to time constraints I'll post a small list of spells you could consider, but i cannot do so now.

Sinpoder
2012-01-17, 11:48 AM
I am completely open to any spell you guys throw out there.

Chylde
2012-01-17, 01:29 PM
get symbol of healing tattooed on.

Dark Kerman
2012-01-17, 03:37 PM
Have Sepia Snake Sigil on your chest. ;) Then just pop it out like superman and BAM paralysis.

Shadowleaf
2012-01-17, 04:04 PM
Assuming 1/day activation up to 9th level (for the Paladin), I would probably get utility buffs which would strictly make your Paladin better. Alter Self, Contingency, Mind Blank, Overland Flight, Shapechange, Time Stop, True Seeing and so forth. I would probably favor long-term buffs myself (such as Overland Flight).

If you can get the buffs Persisted (or permanent), however, it's an entirely different ballgame. Look for the very short duration buff spells, and imagine having them all day. There are a ton on the Cleric spell list: Divine Favor, Divine Power, Holy Aura, Righteous Might, Visage of the Deity. There are also quite a few on the Wizard list: Fly, Globe of Invulnerability, Greater Invisibility, Foresight, Iron Body, Mind Blank, Nerveskitter, Shapechange, True Seeing etc.

Note: If you do not have to pay the cost of casting the spells, a spell tattoo'd Wish would be a free Wish per day.

DarkestKnight
2012-01-17, 04:07 PM
Like I had mentioned here are some spells to consider, assuming you can use it once a day

Delay Death (Spell Compendium) - because who doesn't like being at -1000 and still kicking for a short while

Contingency (players handbook)- one of those things to keep you alive

Gaseous form (players handbook)

Fire Shuriken (complete Arcane)

Wraith Strike (complete Adventurer)

Absorb Weapon (complete Adventurer)

Those are a couple. they all have some pretty good effects.

Civil War Man
2012-01-17, 04:22 PM
I'd get the following tattoos on the Paladin for giggles:

Summon Monster IX
Shapechange (excellent idea, SamBurke)
Gate
Wish (or Miracle, if you prefer)
Mass Heal
And, to tie this list all together, Time Stop.

Sinpoder
2012-01-18, 11:07 PM
Keep um coming!!!!! I plan on using any that i can. I have also used that Shapechange... to become a Solar, though it was once a day.. and my cleric's con is much higher now.... it is about +6 without an item...

Absorb weapon only works for Light Weapons.. so it would not work with the bastard sword that my Paladin carries