PDA

View Full Version : Assassin builds thread!

Red_Dog
2012-01-16, 05:33 AM
Since I have recently partook in long and convoluted arguments over at Factotum/Assassin thread, I figured I will start this little thread ^^

Reason=>
I MIGHT(big might here) want to write an Assassin handbook as I have not found one yet and because the class is usually avoided (for various reasons ^^). So this might help to gather information! Plus its just quick fun mind exercise ^^!

Challenge!=>
Make 1+ assassin set up for lvl6 & lvl15 character using ONE & TEN levels respectively! Goal?=> to be effective and utilize assassin's abilities as much as possible! That does not mean maxing death attacks, but maxing some aspect like skills, sneak attack, spells, poisons & general aggressive play-style^^. I do not think that skills need to be written out, but at least specify some that are planned to be maxed.
*YOU can use "The Avenger" (good version of the assassin), I am not against this ^^*

==================================>
My first builds=>
E6 =>
Stats: Int>Dex>Con.
Human Ranger[Urban] 1/Hexblade 4[Dark familiar variant]/Assassin 1
Feats: Guerrilla Warrior, Weapon-Finesse, Two-Weapon Fight, Ability Focus[Death Attack]
Skills: Disguise cross skill, Hide/Move Silent/Intimidate/Bluff/ than UMD dump at 6 & w/e rest.

E15 => Finishes Assassin, Takes => Staggering Strike, Improved-Two Weapon fight, Practiced Spell Caster[Assassin] (or Improved Critical Kukri to save money). Boosts Int or some dex. at least 2 points hopefully go into Int.
Skills focused on UMD, forgery, move/hide, Bluff & Disguise. However skill options are rather wide open. Also thanks to Guerrilla warrior he takes no penalty on armor checks.

Basic Stuff=> Shines after Assassin's completion... but on E6 with Int hovering around 20(with +2 item), Braces of Murder, and Focus/Companion debuff its DC24... Not bad at level 6? ^^ at lvl 6 wealth 13k both Braces & +2 is in your grasp leaving some 3k to play around with ^^
At level 15, with int around +8, DC is now 36... again seems pretty decent ^^ (this is without potential shaken or curse spewing debuffs). Along with this, staggering strike, good sneak attack, CL14 spells, 12 BAB, a lot of cash for that level left over, the build has a lot of room for improvement hopefully making him able to compete with his main opponents Beguiler & Sword Sage.
==================================>

So I have other ideas, but I want to see everyone else's! Hopefully everyone will find this at least mildly amusing ^^

P.S. hopefully there were no double posts, as it seemed my PC had issues.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-01-16, 08:49 AM
The only build I would ever use (or recommend) the Assassin class for goes Rogue 4/ Wizard or Warlock 1/ Assassin 5/ Arcane Trickster 10, applying AT to Wizard or Warlock. You can use Whisper Gnome or the feat Spell Hand to get the Mage Hand prerequisite for AT with Warlock. That nets you 10d6 sneak attack and 11th level Wizard or Warlock casting, and plenty of skill points at every level. If you use Wizard with it then get the Acid Splatter reserve feat.

For all things assassin, I'd prefer the Psychic Assassin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d) because its Mind Cripple ability is far more likely to disable an opponent within a few rounds, and far more reliable than Death Attack.

I'll also recommend losing the Death Attack class feature to drop the evil alignment and 'special' prerequisites, and call it something like Arcane Agent instead of Assassin. At least then it's playable in games that prohibit evil PCs.

Krazzman
2012-01-16, 09:59 AM
I Liked a Rogue/Fighter mix, had quite a huge load of fun of seeing it in play, maybe you could substitute Fighter for Warblade or Swordsage. (Seems to be quite good I think, since you get Maneuvers and such and it is mostly advised to switch to ToB-Classes.)

Hope this helps.

Greenish
2012-01-16, 11:22 AM
Have you seen the Iron Chef round XVI (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178202&page=6)?

Chronos
2012-01-16, 01:15 PM
I'll also recommend losing the Death Attack class feature to drop the evil alignment and 'special' prerequisites, and call it something like Arcane Agent instead of Assassin. At least then it's playable in games that prohibit evil PCs.If you want to go official, there's also the Avenger prestige class, which is exactly like the Assassin except with different fluff and alignment requirements.

Red_Dog
2012-01-16, 04:16 PM
Have you seen the Iron Chef round XVI?

Yes I have, but I figured maybe smaller level and quicker stating would be just a small mind exercise that's all. Less of a contest more of just fun thread.

to Krazzman Thx ^^ but wasn't really looking for "help" as much of just other people's quick builds.

to Biffoniacus_Furiou First yeah there is "The Avenger" as I've mentioned before for "good" campaigns. Though I do not see why good campaign would mind an evil assassin as long as he is not attacking the party. But that's a very different can of Worms that I really rather not open ^^

Psychic Assassin is indeed not a bad option, mainly due to his Mindcripple as you've mentioned. Though he does loose Manifester levels. Also assassin has unique set of spells that are actually pretty good. Most of them are utility but some are pretty damn good like Cursed Blade (as someone mentioned on a different thread). Another biggest difference is lack of UMD. I guess you can "Skill Knowledge" it but that's a burnt feat.
====================================>

I am not sure why people dislike death attack so much as it seems its DC scales quickly or even a bit quicker than standard Save-Or-Die spells (+10int+9 spell lvl+2Spell Focuses=31. Not sure how to raise spell's DC farther than that... maybe some items?). Maybe because it attacks Fort, but while its a common save, its commonly overlooked too because "hey its fort, its high enough!". Well anyways.

But in any case, if no one is interested, I guess I won't push it. I will probably post another build today/tomorrow. If interest isn't sparked, than oh well ^^.

GnomeGninjas
2012-01-16, 05:01 PM
This is really cheesy but if you take vexing flanker and adaptive flanker and a reach weapon you can flank with yourself thus always be able to sneak attack. The feat telling blow lets you always sneak attack on a critical hit so if you threat 15-20 (kukri with improve critical or keen kukri) it might be worth it.

Tvtyrant
2012-01-16, 05:29 PM
Rogue 5/Assassin 8/Dragon Disciple 7 nets you all of the 4th level assassin spells known, so you act as a mini Beguiler. It also gets you 3 natural attacks to use on you SA.

gorfnab
2012-01-16, 05:51 PM
Rogue 5/ Assassin 9/ Telflammar Shadowlord 6

Averis Vol
2012-01-17, 12:21 AM
lvl 6 human rogue 5 (spell reflection)/assassin 1

stat priority: Int>cha>dex

feats: point blank shot, combat expertise, improved feint, combat expertise

skills: hide, bluff, disguise, move silently, tumble, sense motive, use magic device

lvl 15 human rogue 5 (spell reflection)/assassin 3/ fighter 2/ invisible blade 5

throw in deadly precision (expanded psionic), surprising riposte (drow of the underdark), two weapon fighting, weapon focus kukri, improved unarmed strike, throat punch.

spend money on a headband of int +6, ring of dex +6, a pair of +1 keen enervating kukri, +4 mithril chain shirt, wand of cure moderate wounds incase i do get messed up and wand of levitate because....its levitation yo, why not?

leaves us with a high base attack character (12) who can feint as a free action and his feints last all round for all his attacks, plus he rerolls ones on SA die and can liam neeson style throat punch a caster taking a way his verbals. actually now that ive looked at this kind of character i might actually play him sometime, seems like fun.

Red_Dog
2012-01-18, 02:49 AM
possible lags, so might be posting issues*

Anyways thx for posts guys! ^^

To Averis Vol just make sure DM does not know about CW errata, as it severely neuters the free feint. Also=>

actually now that ive looked at this kind of character i might actually play him sometime, seems like fun.

Support your local assassin's guild ^^

Anyways so yeah another build! (not Death attack focused at this time)
======================>
Human 2 rouge/3 Swashbuckle/1 Assassin, Stats Dex=Int>rest.
Feats: Able learner, Two-Weapon Fight, Daring Outlaw, Dark Stalker
BAB=4, Skills=> UMD, Reqs, w/e else fits ^^

Human 2 rouge/3 Swashbuckle/7 Assassin & 3 Factotum [intertwined as swashbuckle=favorite, so rouge 2=no XP penalties ^^]
Feats: Able learner, Two-Weapon Fight, Daring Outlaw, Dark Stalker, Improved Two-Weapon Fight, Staggering Strike, Aleval School(if it does what I think it does ^^) or Sickening Strike or Terrifying Strike, or Ability Focus(Death Attack) or Craven if allowed.
BAB=+10 Skills=> same deal hide/move/UMD and rest to taste.

Funny enough, by lvl 15 (especially if Factotum dip is not done), the build gets a pretty height Death attack DC as it is (a generous +6-7 Int, +10, +2(braces), +2(-2 to save)=30-31. Without a factotum dip this also possibly the highest sneak attack on that level (without generic classes abuse >_>).

More risky especially at E6, but does damage, has highest sneak thankcs to not loosing any because of Daring outlaw (on 6lvl, assassin gives you 2nd D6 you need to qualify). By level 15 definitively becomes more solid and picks up. The build is a bit more a glass cannon than one would want, but damage out put should compensate I guess ^^. All skills are pretty much still there if not more so because no levels with just 2+int.

===============================>
P.S. In related news, in DoTU => Aleval School... would it give opponent -2 to the death attack you are about to make? O_o Because sneak attack damage come BEFORE the Death Attack... sooooo seems like another boosts to DC?^^

Incidentally while we are at it. What about a combo such as Sickening Terrifying strike while using Aleval School??? Would this boost Death Attack effective DC by 6 effectively? (all of them will stack for sure, and as far as RAW of Death Attack, it seemed, valuable). Plus on there own they are pretty damn good feats ^^

So if you 3 feats can be stacked (schools & strikes)... add braces, focus, dagger(+1), 10 int, 10 lvls =>41... without a potential Dark familiar around. I'd say this is rather solid DC ^^ not bullet proof of course but, not bad either ^^.

Greenish
2012-01-18, 05:33 AM
This is really cheesy but if you take vexing flanker and adaptive flanker and a reach weapon you can flank with yourself thus always be able to sneak attack.Neat. Only works vs. medium creatures, though, unless you have extra reach.

My favourite is having a mount with Martial Stance feat for Island of Blades. :smalltongue:

DreadWarlock
2012-01-18, 06:11 AM
The only build I would ever use (or recommend) the Assassin class for goes Rogue 4/ Wizard or Warlock 1/ Assassin 5/ Arcane Trickster 10

Ability to cast mage hand and at least one arcane spell of 3rd level or higher

wizard 1 doesn't give you lvl 3 spells, warlock doesn't give you spells at all

Greenish
2012-01-18, 06:35 AM
Ability to cast mage hand and at least one arcane spell of 3rd level or higher

wizard 1 doesn't give you lvl 3 spells, warlock doesn't give you spells at allAssassin 5. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/assassin.htm)

DreadWarlock
2012-01-18, 06:55 AM
ah yes, sorry there, but u have to have int 16+

also in my opinion coolest thing is fallen paladin1/blackguard10/assassin9

beskargam
2012-04-15, 06:07 PM
ah yes, sorry there, but u have to have int 16+

also in my opinion coolest thing is fallen paladin1/blackguard10/assassin9

No dice, Blackguard needs +6 bab to enter....

DreadWarlock
2012-04-15, 06:12 PM
what did u want to say here? I didn't understand... what dice?

Urpriest
2012-04-15, 06:40 PM
No dice, Blackguard needs +6 bab to enter....

what did u want to say here? I didn't understand... what dice?

No dice means doesn't work, it's an english idiom. In this case it does work, fallen Paladins can trade existing levels for Blackguard levels.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-04-15, 06:56 PM
Since I have recently partook in long and convoluted arguments over at Factotum/Assassin thread, I figured I will start this little thread ^^

My first builds=>
E6 =>
Stats: Int>Dex>Con.
Human Ranger[Urban] 1/Hexblade 4[Dark familiar variant]/Assassin 1
Feats: Guerrilla Warrior, Weapon-Finesse, Two-Weapon Fight, Ability Focus[Death Attack]
Skills: Disguise cross skill, Hide/Move Silent/Intimidate/Bluff/ than UMD dump at 6 & w/e rest.

So I have other ideas, but I want to see everyone else's! Hopefully everyone will find this at least mildly amusing ^^

First off, PsyAssassin for the win.

Secondly, why not Silverbrow Human for this e6 build? It grants Disguise as a class skill, but it loses the human bonus skills (works out even in the end, as you're buying disguise cross-class anyways), plus you'd get feather fall 2/day.

Red_Dog
2012-04-15, 07:12 PM
Ha I though this thread was looong dead. Well, its kool, I don't mind picking it up ^^

First off, PsyAssassin for the win.

Secondly, why not Silverbrow Human for this e6 build? It grants Disguise as a class skill, but it loses the human bonus skills (works out even in the end, as you're buying disguise cross-class anyways), plus you'd get feather fall 2/day.

First off, I disagree with PsyAssassin completely. Assassin at least comes with his own casting, and if wanted, can be augmented with Illumians if Factotum Int rocket-powered brain surgeon is not your cup of tea. PsyAssassin, by RAW[IMO it seems] can't benifit from Illumians as, while SR=PR, such severe fluff distinctions such as "naturally magic" and "naturally psionic" shouldn't be tossed.
PsyAssassin looses Manifester levels at a catastrophic rate which is generally looked down upon.
Yes mind-cripple is nice[you need to sack 3 manifester levels for it], but that's where it stops for me = \

I have seen mindcripplers build well. To me, PsyAssassin only shines with Mindcripple, that he gets 1 level earlier than Psychic Rouge does. Meanwhile Psychic rouge looses no BAB, and no Manifester levels.
To me, regular Assassin is a core of his build, where Psychic assassin does what Psychic rouge does, but a LOT worse due to lose of manifester levels. = \

However, it IS just my opinion. ^^

Your silverbrow human idea works mechanically... quite nice actually. You would need to go Avenger to keep with fluff though.

Thanks for posting! ^^

P.S. One of these days I shall right a full Sin handbook ^^

DreadWarlock
2012-04-16, 07:10 AM
@ Urpriest
Thx! I'm not a native English speaker... This was very helpfull :smallsmile: