PDA

View Full Version : If i wanted to play a Jedi...

Cwymbran-San
2012-01-16, 09:16 AM
...yes, yes, i know, mixing up the two fountains of nerdity is usually forbidden, but as i am a huge geek for both, i tried thinking up a Jedi-like character in D&D.
How about a psion/soulblade for the jedi with all his telekinesis and mind-affecting tricks (and the odd lightsaber :smallbiggrin:)?
And just for the opposite, building a sith from a wilder/soulblade template, using the energy related powers only for electricity?

More ideas?

danzibr
2012-01-16, 09:28 AM
Soulknife? I don't know a class or PrC called Soulblade.

Anyways, if it's Soulknife we're talking, I would suggest not using it or to use some variant. Also, it'll totally kill your casting. As far as fluff goes, magic is a lot better than psionics when it comes to the force, but a wizard Jedi doesn't really work in my mind, hmm...

Ya know, you might be able to just roleplay a Psychic Warrior. Again not good with the psionics, but that's okay.

As far as the lightsaber goes, I would try to buy one instead of get it from a class feature. After all, force-users were around before lightsabers.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-01-16, 09:29 AM
Psychic warrior is a better jedi right out of the box, though a psionic gish build using telepath as base might be quite powerful but a tad of a late bloomer.

Don't waste levels just to get the lightsaber as it is just a tool, either way a brilliant energy weapon is almost the same; but a sword with the Stowaway property from either Races of the Wild or the Magic Item Compendium also work.

limejuicepowder
2012-01-16, 09:34 AM
well as long as you arent starting at low or even mid level and dont want to be good at fighting thqat should work xD. Thematically it fits but i think the low BAS and feat starvedness is going to sink you in the melee dept - along with the fact that soulblade and psion have nothing in common except fluff.

i think you would be way better off doing a sorcerer gish and careful spell selection. magehand, expedentious retreat, jump, charm person, and telekinesis (duh) cover the visible jedi abilties, then just throw in any invisible buff you want. brilliant energy weapons make a great lightsaber, and since the jedi dont make their own swords i think that works better then the soulblade anyway.

Psyren
2012-01-16, 09:36 AM
Your best option for a Jedi is Soulbound Weapon Psywar.

If you don't want to fiddle with psionics though, there are a couple of other options, like an Eldritch Glaive Warlock.

Cwymbran-San
2012-01-16, 10:01 AM
Of course it is Soulblade, stupid german translation...

As far as i understand, PsyWar has little to no telekinetic powers? Also, i was thinking of Jedi from a more "Counselor"-perspective, emphasis on mind-affection/telekinesis and just a little added prowess via lightsaber combat. So like, staying back, mapering opponents and only drawing the blade if threatened to melee.

Yuki Akuma
2012-01-16, 10:04 AM
Soulbound Weapon Psychic Warrior 1/Ardent x? Ardents can do the telekinesis and telepathy things, and they're okay in combat (plus both use Wisdom as their manifesting stat).

Dr.Epic
2012-01-16, 12:44 PM
Paladin/sorcerer seems like a good enough build option.

Chronos
2012-01-16, 12:51 PM
Psychic Warrior (or pure Psion, if you want to do the wise thing rather than the combat thing) is the best fit for everything but the lightsabre. For that, you can just drop a feat on Shape Soulmeld: Incarnate Weapon (or take an actual level of Incarnate, but a feat is cheaper than a class level).

Rossebay
2012-01-16, 12:53 PM
If your DM will allow homebrew, then...

Warblade 2/Psion 3 or Warblade 1/Psion 4 is intended entry for the Ephemeral Blade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5883542&postcount=1), which is a fairly balanced Homebrew PrC that I've used before. Psionics mixed with Maneuvers makes for a very Jedi-ish character. Just pick the right powers, and you're golden.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-16, 01:01 PM
Hideaway weapon, no brilliant energy (does NOT work like a lightsaber). This forces you to be a wizard or sorc, since crafting your own lightsaber is kind of a thing.

OR

Psion with Shape Soulmeld (Incarnate Weapon).

OR

Soulbound Weapon PsyWar 1/psion.

Zonugal
2012-01-16, 05:31 PM
A build like Human Paragon 1/Ardent 2/Human Paragon 2/Warblade 1/Ardent X works fairly well with the synergy between psionics & Diamond Mind maneuvers. Ardent brings a lot of advantages over classes like Psychic Warrior or Psion. It has average BaB (which is easily buffed with powers), has armor proficiency, solid skills, wisdom-based manifesting (which thematically is really nice) and with the Mind's Eye ACF the ability to customize mantles as to pick ideal powers to emulate a Jedi's force-related talents. Human Paragon allows one ot pick up a skill like Iaijutsu Focus as well as boost your wisdom even more while Warblade provides additional support for combat & defense.

Regarding a lightsaber try something out like this:

Basic Model Lightsaber ($11,350 gp or $2,769 with a dedicated Lightsaber crafter)
Sunsword with the Sonic, Focus and Deflecting enchantments with a Lesser Crystal of Return coupled with a Glove of the Master Strategist.
A +1, Masterwork Bastard Sword (treated as a Short Sword whenever advantageous) which does a extra 1d4 points of sonic damage on a successful hit and bestows a +4 insight bonus to the wielder's Iaijutsu focus checks while carrying the weapon, even if the weapon is sheathed. The lightsaber may be drawn as a free action and you may call it to your hand from 30ft away as a move action. In addition you can try to knock projectiles aimed at you out of the air. Once per round when you would normally be hit by a ranged weapon, you may make a DC 20 Reflex saving throw (if the ranged weapon has a magical enhancement bonus, the DC increases by that amount). If you succeed, the ranged weapon or projectile deflects away harmlessly. You must be aware of the attack and not flat-footed. Intrinsically connected to the Lightsaber is the mystical handling glove which allows you to store and retrieve held items into the glove as free actions as well as activate True Strike 1/day.

For forms of combat something set up like this could potentially work (although I still have some difficulties in establishing solid feats for each style):

Form 1
The basics of lightsaber combat comprised of attack, parry and bodyzone strikes. It is used primarily for training new Jedi in the use of the lightsaber.
Knowledge Devotion, Psionic Weapon, Greater Psionic Weapon

Form 2
The perfect form for lightsaber-to-lightsaber combat and studied by almost every Jedi. Form II maximizes precision whilst minimizing movement so as not to tire the dueller.
Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm, Einhander

Form 3
This form was developed specifically to counter the threat from laser blasts. As laser blasters spread throughout the galaxy Jedi had to learn to deflect/reflect laser blasts whilst offering the smallest possible target area. From this Form III was born.
Combat Expertise, Stand Still, Improved Combat Expertise

Form 4
The most acrobatic of all the lightsaber combat forms. Practitioners of Form IV took lightsaber combat to incredible new levels with amazing displays of physical prowess that were beyond anybody else. Watching a Form IV Jedi in battle would be difficult because of their ability to leap, spin, jump and fight in all 3 axis.
Dodge, Mobility, Elusive Target

Form 5
As the demand on the Jedi to maintain peace and order grew a more aggressive Form was needed for use in combat. Form V was designed to not only deflect laser blasts but also deflect them back on the attacker. Strength and strong lightsaber attacks feature heavily in this form which was favoured more by some Jedi than others.
Power Attack, Improved Sunder, Combat Brute

Form 6
A combination of Forms I, II, III, IV and V. Often referred to as the "diplomats form" this particular style of combat relied less upon combative movement and more upon allowing Jedi time to study diplomacy, galactic politics and their Jedi perception. Considered a lesser form by some Jedi masters it proved to be very popular amongst many Jedi knights.
Sacred Vow, Vow of Peace and Vow of Nonviolence.

Form 7
The ultimate form of lightsaber combat which combines the raw strength of Form V with the graceful movement of Form IV. Only advanced Jedi masters such as Mace Windu can use this form effectively due to the huge emotions involvedin wielding it. Such is the emotional involvement that many Jedi refuse to study Form VII because it comes too close to the Dark Side of the force. Force assisted jumps and other movements feature heavily in Form VII as do series of sudden, seemingly unrelated, movements. A form VII practitioner will appear utterly calm on the surface but inside is a seething cauldron of emotions.
Combat Reflexes, Improved Critical, Robilar’s Gambit

JohnDaBarr
2012-01-16, 05:35 PM
or find a homebrew class and see with your DM is it playable...

I once found a Jedi class, its dex, wis AND cha modifiers where in its touch AC

18 touch AC on the first lvl, was hilarious XD

The Underlord
2012-01-16, 05:49 PM
A LN incarnate could also work with incarnum blade or whatever its called.

nedz
2012-01-16, 06:30 PM
Check out Thunderlance. Its a 4th level Arcane spell in the SpC which should do the Lightsable thing. Other Arcane spells can replicate the other Jedi abilites.
So a Sorc based Gish is what you want.
In core: Monk 2/Sorc X would fit theamatically; there are better options than Monk elsewhere, but Monk 2 is peak-monk.

Alternatively you can go Warlock with Eldritch Glaive. Its hard to get the mind effecting stuff though, but Half-Fey can supply those - all for LA+2.

Yoda requires either a Half-Fey hobbit halfling or perhaps just a Fey-Touched Halfling. This is purely for the aesthetics - you know the ears and the skin tone.:smallbiggrin:

Dsurion
2012-01-16, 08:02 PM
I think using the psionic class of your choice would work best, combined with a Galvanic Crysteel Blade (Magic of Eberron) for a lightsaber. It's basically a magic sword property where you can pump power points into the weapon, but doesn't function if it's not psionically charged.

...Or at least that's what I remember of it; I could be wrong.

dgnslyr
2012-01-16, 09:03 PM
Psychic Warrior may not be the best for the more showy Force powers, but it has a lot of the subtle, less flashy aspects of being a Jedi, namely empowering yourself through meditative focus. Psywar shines through its self buffs, and embodies the peerless meditative scholar-warrior that is a Jedi.

There's an ACF called Soulbound Weapon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a). It gives your Psywar its own, highly personal magic weapon. This is pretty good for the whole highly-individualized and personal nature of a lightsaber, and you even conjure it through Call Weaponry, which seems very Lightsaber-esque.

You've got Stomp for your minor force pushes, and you could describe Concealing Amorpha as the precognitive reflexes of a trained Jedi. There's a lot a Jedi's powers have in common with a Psywar, so I think this would work nicely. Above all, have fun with your character, and play him the way you want to.

Black_Zawisza
2012-01-16, 09:10 PM
Try asking your DM if he'd be willing to allow you to adapt the magical Jade Phoenix Mage prestige class (ToB) to psionics. Warblade 3/Telepath Psion 3/Jade Phoenix Psion X would make for a very good Jedi.

Little Brother
2012-01-16, 09:31 PM
In Champions of Ruin, or in the Spell Compendium, there's a Bard spell called Undersong. It lets you use a Perform check instead on a concentration check. Now, in Complete Warrior, there's a new Perform, Perform:Weapon Drill, which gives you some bonuses for being martially, I think.

Now, in Tome of Battle, there are a couple of maneuvers that let you use a concentration check for a save. Congrats, you can now cut through Lightning with your sword. Fire breath. Disintegrating rays. Charm effects. Now take two levels of Rogue, and get Spell Reflection(CM). You can now deflect heat beams back at your opponent. Now look at Wall of Blade. You can cut bullets. This Jedi enough? It gets better...

With levels in Swordsage, you can make your sword burst into flames, ignore hardness, you can Superjump, and gain amazing reaction time. You also, at high level, can even react superhumanly fast(Stance of Alacrity), can go all Dark Side Sith Lord and drain life away, hell, with a reach weapon, you can force-push people into each other(Setting Sun throws), and so on.

Slap this onto an Idiot Crusader, and you have a super-jedi. You MIGHT want to go a dip in Soulbound Weapon PsyWar, but you don't need a lightsabre to be a jedi. Hell, if you're sith, you could make an Alchemy Blade or something.

By the way, amulet of mage hand is a 900GP item to retrieve your lightsabre if it is a magic item, and not soulbound.

Razanir
2012-01-17, 11:08 AM
After all the discussion, sorcerer/paladin sounds like a good choice.
1) Paladins are Wisdom-based casters
2) Sorcerer gives you buffs (meditation) AND flashy spells (lightning = Palpatine)
3) Sorcerer lets you craft a "lightsaber"

And for the lightsaber, I'd go with a +1 Brilliant Energy Bastard Sword, with whatever that storable ability was. (I only have core and Complete Adventurer) Sure Brilliant Energy doesn't give it the cutting power of a lightsaber, but the pair would certainly mimic a lightsaber

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-17, 01:15 PM
After all the discussion, sorcerer/paladin sounds like a good choice.
1) Paladins are Wisdom-based casters
2) Sorcerer gives you buffs (meditation) AND flashy spells (lightning = Palpatine)
3) Sorcerer lets you craft a "lightsaber"

And for the lightsaber, I'd go with a +1 Brilliant Energy Bastard Sword, with whatever that storable ability was. (I only have core and Complete Adventurer) Sure Brilliant Energy doesn't give it the cutting power of a lightsaber, but the pair would certainly mimic a lightsaber

Would you rather have some fluff, or the actual effects? Because Brilliant Energy doesn't come close to the effects of a lightsaber, you could just say your sword is one of the 30% of magic weapons that sheds light.

Manateee
2012-01-17, 02:40 PM
Bard gets UMD (wand of Flame Blade), Jump, Mage Hand, Ghost Sound, Locate Creature, Suggestion, Detect Thoughts and a variety of acrobatic skills with a high reflex/decent attack framework. That pretty much covers the shared powers that all the Jedi had, that I can remember.

Through Spell list expansion and Prestige classes, you can tack on Telekinesis, Chain Lightning or whatever else the powerful force users tossed around without too much trouble. Angling toward Sublime Chord would make it especially feasible.