PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for low magic/ low level encounter

Zhirax
2012-01-16, 11:58 AM
Hey guys n girls

So i have this campaign running, it is set in a homebrewed world, where the gods from eberron (soverign host and dark six) have been fighting on the world and now are dead, missing or worse.

There's no ordinary magic left, magic is dark and pervated and generally baaaad
i play with the wounds and vitality system for hp.
bows are more powerfull (dice converted eks longbow gives 1d8-->2d6 and short bow gives 2d4 etc)
armor converts damage into nonlethal (+3ac = first 3 points of damage is nonlethal)

so i'm designing a encounter for my pc's and would like some advice for making an interesting encounter

1. the pc's are lv2 martial classes (3 fighters, 1 marshall, 1 scout)
2. they are elite guards of an martial empire, and are in the employ of the king
3. they are sent to a small city in a nearby forrest, they have to protect it from bandits.
4. they have the following assets,
- poor quality wood walls
- 20 lv 2 warriors (guards)
- various townfolk (hunters and old city guards and alike)
- low grade weapons and items (only one pc has iron armor (breastplate)

the bandits:
- regular bandits nothing sinister
- funded by the nabouring region even though the war has stopped there are still a lot og intrigues
- acces to some "mages" from the nabouring region. these mages are powerful but unstable
- bandit leader is an cold hearted bounty hunter, and he is getting paid well for harrasing the pc's home country
- the town they are trying to sack is an important resource point for the warplagued region, so a telling blow could start hunger problems, clothe shortages and alike

So do you have any fun, interesting ideas how i could make a memorable encounter for my players?

right now i'm thinking about having the pc's given command over the guards and stratetically positioning them before battles starts, afterwards i would make a three pronged attack at mayor points in the city. Testing the pc's tactical ideas. but some awesome combat encounters is surely needed to make this a truely fun session.

thanks