PDA

View Full Version : Porting a Jedi from SWSE to 3.X

Coidzor
2012-01-16, 12:57 PM
So, from what I've heard of the matter so far, SAGA is apparently like the D&D 3.5 rules set only they actually took what they learned from making the early and midline and possibly late line books and applied it while also taking out all of the bad legacy decisions, and made it Star Wars flavored, and it actually works pretty well.

What I was wondering was this, in doing so, did they alter the fundamental mechanics enough that one couldn't port a SAGA character, specifically a force-user, into a house-ruled into functionality 3.X game or that the work would be so tedious one would be better off just using the good 3rd party psionics material for 3.P?

Yora
2012-01-16, 02:11 PM
Well, I think you could do that.

Saga classes are really just Talent-Trees and Class Bonus Feats like a fighter has. Slab the Talent-Trees from the Jedi-Class on a D&D fighter and you got yourself a Jedi. Talent-Trees are pretty much the same as in d20 Modern, you can take a look at the SRD how they work.
But the Force Power system is very different from either magic or psionics. I think it has some similarities to Tome of Battle, but I never learned the ToB rules.

But I don't see what benefit would that provided compared to playing a pyschic warrior. I don't think Jedi can do anything that a PsyWar can't.

Urpriest
2012-01-16, 02:17 PM
Isn't the skill system pretty radically different? From what I've heard it was more 4e-esque.

Yora
2012-01-16, 02:29 PM
It is different, but for the purpose of conversion, it's really simple.
You still have class skills and not-class skills and a number of skills you are trained in. Check which Saga skills duplicate which D&D skills and make the number of trained skills the number of skill points at every level. Done.