PDA

View Full Version : So, a LG, LN, and LE character walk into a fortress...

TheRinni
2012-01-16, 01:15 PM
I'm currently DMing a gestalt game, and am very worried it will end in a PvP-Meltdown.

We have a LG Paladin/Rouge, LE Paladin(UA Variant)/Necromancer, and a LN Cleric/Ranger. Several problems have already arisen between the two paladins. They've nearly killed each other on a few occasions.

As a DM I'm at a loss for how to discourage this behavior without crossing the line of "telling them how to run their characters." They know they need each other to complete this quest, but they seem to forget that whenever a disagreement comes up.

These players are very hotheaded, and stubborn. I think they both need a strong, in-game slap on the wrist. But, I feel as if a visage/dream of their Gods appearing before them and commanding their teamwork would be campy and railroad-y.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-16, 01:17 PM
:smallconfused:

How is that possible and why did you allow it? There's a paladin and an evil character in the same campaign? Also, why would you let characters from every area of the alignment be in the same party?

Coidzor
2012-01-16, 01:19 PM
...Why did you let that fly if you know that the players are hot-headed, stubborn, and not team players? :smallconfused:

If you think they can be persuaded to let the game survive at all, it's only going to work if you deal with them out of game.

TheRinni
2012-01-16, 01:22 PM

How is that possible and why did you allow it? There's a paladin and an evil character in the same campaign? Also, why would you let characters from every area of the alignment be in the same party?

The players are very stubborn. They will play the characters they want to play, or they won't play at all.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-16, 01:23 PM
The players are very stubborn. They will play the characters they want to play, or they won't play at all.

Still, you got to set limits/rules and have the players compromise.

arguskos
2012-01-16, 01:25 PM
Treat them like adults and have them act like it. Explain that, for whatever reason, you need them to function together without killing each other, and to work this out out of game between themselves. You know, like reasonable people. Hey, crazy idea, I know. :smalltongue:

Alternatively, have them each reroll something less prone to argument starting.

Othniel Edden
What are their deities?

Coidzor

Why would you want to play with such hostile people that can't compromise and don't want to actually have the game survive then?

Also, there's an article by the Giant you'll be wanting to read here.

Alternatively, have them kill one another's characters off in petty grudge matches until the disapproving looks and frequent, pointed coughing from you and the cleric//ranger's player get through to them.

Connington
2012-01-16, 01:27 PM
Frankly, the best solution is an out of character warning to play nice.

Second to that, throw a "save the world" plot at them that has both of the paladins' gods telling them that their petty quarrels aren't important right now. Even the Forces of Evil don't want to see the world destroyed except on their terms.

Zale
2012-01-16, 01:45 PM
Wait.. I though Paladins couldn't associate with Evil, and Paladins of Tyranny couldn't associate with Good.

Shadowleaf
2012-01-16, 01:48 PM
Wait.. I though Paladins couldn't associate with Evil, and Paladins of Tyranny couldn't associate with Good.

While that is true, the paladin code is usually one of the first things to go when you include houserules. There is little reason as to why a Paladin can't associate with evil without falling while a Cleric can.

Metahuman1
2012-01-16, 02:00 PM
By chance are any of these players from the same group you posted awhile back having a problem with as a player? The group that had the spell caster using your characters raised as undead lover as his minion if I recall correctly?

Having said that, you as the DM have made a mistake. You allowed Good and Evil in one Party. Trust me, it very, very, VERY rarely works, and your finding out a big chunk of why.

Zarake
2012-01-16, 02:01 PM
Well if the LG paladin says he's in charge (As they are like to do) then the evil one alignment wise may just follow. Going by the SRD anyway it says that Lawful Evil will take a follower role. Which is why it's the only evil my DM lets us play in normal games.