PDA

View Full Version : Maximize and spells that last for multiple rounds

imneuromancer
2012-01-16, 03:02 PM
if you maximize (or empower) a spell that does damage over multiple rounds but with multiple attacks, do you maximize just ONE die roll, or is every round effected?

For example, if you maximize the Druid's Produce Flame spell that allows one ranged touch attack/round for 1d6+level (max 5) damage, would the maximize just work on the first attack, or would it maximuze every one of the touch attacks that the druid launches??

Same thing for spells like darkfire, dragon's breath, etc. that give the caster an attack for several rounds.

Alienist
2012-01-16, 03:14 PM
Every round.

However, in the case of the dragons breath example (I don't have the book in front of me) this could work against the player.

eg if after using the breath weapon you roll d4+1 to see how long before you can use it again, if you maximise it you will always have to wait 5 rounds

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-16, 03:17 PM
Every round.

However, in the case of the dragons breath example (I don't have the book in front of me) this could work against the player.

eg if after using the breath weapon you roll d4+1 to see how long before you can use it again, if you maximise it you will always have to wait 5 rounds

I don't think he was talking about maximizing the recharge.

In fact, I don't have any clue what he meant by that.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-01-16, 03:55 PM
"All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized."

If it's a variable numeric effect of the spell, then it gets maximized, regardless of whether it would be rolled when the spell was cast or several rounds later.

A Maximized Dragon's Breath would only be usable every 4 rounds, rather than every 1d4 rounds.