PDA

View Full Version : So, I just picked up Ultima VII Complete from GoG...

JabberwockySupafly
2012-01-16, 04:56 PM
And it's just as amazing as it was when I was 12. The graphics have aged incredibly well for being 20 years old, and even the music & story have kept up pretty well compared to most RPGs that have come after it. It's nice to know it wasn't just nostalgia tinting my memories of the game and that it is in fact the masterpiece I remember it to be. I got such a great surge of memories when the game first launched and I could follow, word-for-word, the original boast of The Guardian at the opening screen of the game. So many hours lost to this game, and many more to come it seems :smallbiggrin:

Anyone else playing any gems of yesteryear at the moment? Do they hold up to your memories? What games? How do they/don't they hold up? Let's get our classic gaming discussion on!

Comet
2012-01-16, 05:15 PM
Ultima VII is awesome, absolutely. I remember spending countless hours at a younger age just living like a bum on the streets of Monitor city in the Serpent Isle expansion, stealing bread from bakers, putting out streetlights and generally ignoring any notions of a story. It was kind of stupid, but immensely fun at the time.

Nowadays I do prefer to be more serious about the avatar's quest, but the option of doing practically anything you damn well please within the world is still very much appreciated.

And the beginning of Ultima VII, the main game, is very much legendary, I think. Here I am, come to save the world once more... except apparently I'm greeted not by cheering masses and joyous companions, but grim faces and a murder scene. A really good hook, right there.

edit: Oh, right. I'm currently playing UFO: Enemy Unknown, Jagged Alliance 2 and Arcanum with some Betrayal at Krondor thrown in. Thinking about trying to get back into Ultima IV since GoG is shoving it at my face with some notable persistence. I don't think I'll be running all the way through any of them any time soon since my free time is at somehwat more of a premium than it was when I started them, but they are still a boatload of fun.

Balain
2012-01-16, 05:29 PM
Not that long ago I played Ultima 1 - 7 still planning on playing the last 3.

I paly might and magic 1 now and then and plan to play that whole series. I picked up 1 - 6 for $1.99 then 7,8,9 for $1.99 each at gog.com while they had a sale on.

Also picked up sacred plus from them for $4.99. I played the original but never the expansion

I'm currently mostly playing ufo enemy unknown when I'm not playing Skyrim or LOTRO.

I'm planing to pick up empie deluxe enhanced edition from Killer Bee Software (http://www.killerbeesoftware.com/kbsgames/edee/)

About a month ago I was finished Heroes of Might and Magic 2. I think I might pick up 3 and 4 from gog sometime.

I also play Darklands now and then.

factotum
2012-01-17, 02:41 AM
I have Ultima VII, UFO: Enemy Unknown, X-Com: Apocalypse, Heroes 3 and Heroes 4 all installed on my laptop ready to play at a moment's notice. (All bought from GOG apart from the X-Com games, which I got from Gamers Gate). Replayed the whole of Might and Magic VI last year, which was pretty awesome, too!