PDA

View Full Version : Animals you've bought and XP

Dazed&Confused
2012-01-16, 10:07 PM
In my current campaign we entered a certain place and we're fully aware of the few next situations; it's like a small series of short missions and tests, almost like a gauntlet(is that the name?).

So, next mission will be in a clean arena-like place against 12 barbarians; it's me and my friend controlling 8 characters, and we're surrounded by them. Given that we're at lvl 2-3, our wizards would most likely get one-shot, but then I had an idea: I'll just buy a few mules and put them in front of me before the battle starts. 8gp to save each wizard? I'll buy that!

But I'd like to know if purchased animals get the xp from the encounter, since they still "fight"(actually, they hit quite hard for 8gp animals, maybe better than buying a lvl 1 summon scroll unless there's some sort of RAI involved to say they're gonna flee instead of fighting) and they don't depend on my lvls to get their HD, like companions. Do they get the xp or is it ruled just like a fighter's mount?

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-16, 10:10 PM
You are a level 3 Wizard. Alter Self into an Avarial (flight) or Asabi (Burrow), and leave? Or Lizardfolk or Troglodyte (Fight)?

Dazed&Confused
2012-01-16, 10:14 PM
You are a level 3 Wizard. Alter Self into an Avarial (flight) or Asabi (Burrow), and leave? Or Lizardfolk or Troglodyte (Fight)?

I'm not allowed to start the fight all buffed up unless it's hour/lvl. I really don't wanna lose the wizard by not winning initiative, so the mules seemed like the best option. But I wanna know if they steal any of my xp or not lol

Jack_Simth
2012-01-16, 10:16 PM
I'm not allowed to get in the place all buffed up unless it's hour/lvl. I really don't wanna lose the wizard by not winning initiative, so the mules really seemed like the best option. But I wanna know if they steal any of my xp or not lol
Purchased animals are generally considered equipment...

But if you want to be certain, Hirelings are explicitly called out as not taking a share of the XP. Hire yourself a few fighters for the day.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-16, 10:18 PM
Oh no, hirelings and cohorts and purchased animals and such don't lower your rate of XP gain; those are considered part of the resources that make up your character (ie, you spend feats or class abilities or wealth from your wealth by level on them).

motoko's ghost
2012-01-16, 10:21 PM
I'm not allowed to start the fight all buffed up unless it's hour/lvl. I really don't wanna lose the wizard by not winning initiative, so the mules seemed like the best option. But I wanna know if they steal any of my xp or not lol

mounts and animals you've dragged into battle dont earn xp as they very rarely do anything that might earn it:smalltongue:

erikun
2012-01-16, 11:16 PM
mounts and animals you've dragged into battle dont earn xp as they very rarely do anything that might earn it:smalltongue:
This. Do not expect your mules to stick around and fight it out with a group of barbarians. Heck, unless they are tied to some kind of immovable cart, I highly doubt that they would even stand in the way; they'd probably bolt at the first sign of something dangerous charging them.

Coidzor
2012-01-16, 11:20 PM
This. Do not expect your mules to stick around and fight it out with a group of barbarians. Heck, unless they are tied to some kind of immovable cart, I highly doubt that they would even stand in the way; they'd probably bolt at the first sign of something dangerous charging them.

Warbeast Mules would solve that problem right quick, though it'd bump up their price.

Of course, anyone with a half-decent handle animal can get them to perform the attack trick.

You're not very familiar with Bubs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7097263&postcount=38), are you? Or Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) for that matter.

A bard, even at low levels, can turn a group of mules into blenders, as well.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-01-16, 11:22 PM
DMG page 104, under Cohorts, you have Experience Points, explaining that hirelings gain XP, but are not counted for how many the total XP award gets divided between.

For example a 10,000 XP encounter for four PCs will award each 2,500 XP; if those four PCs had ten various hirelings, cohorts, and pets with them, they still each get 2,500 XP.

TuggyNE
2012-01-18, 12:53 AM
DMG page 104, under Cohorts, you have Experience Points, explaining that hirelings gain XP, but are not counted for how many the total XP award gets divided between.

For example a 10,000 XP encounter for four PCs will award each 2,500 XP; if those four PCs had ten various hirelings, cohorts, and pets with them, they still each get 2,500 XP.

I believe that specifically applies to cohorts only; hirelings, followers, pets, etc don't even gain XP in the first place. So no, mules really shouldn't affect your XP in the slightest (unless the DM feels like making a weird houserule or something).