PDA

View Full Version : pondering the spells/level tables.

zlefin
2012-01-16, 11:14 PM
I was considering trying to make the spell/level tables more universal, instead of each class having their own;
but as I looked closer I saw alot of them were basically the same aside from a specific tweak; though some are more complicated. I wanted to know if anyone knows why some have peculiar settings; i'll go over them now;
I'm working off the 3.5 SRD

we can consider the Druid as the baseline.
The cleric is same as druid with a +1 domain spell/day
wizard is druid but with a cap of 4/day at every level; and the option for +1s from specialization.
Sorceror, does not relate cleanly, and is based off a different progression plan; and for some reason they're behind wizards by a half level for new spells; but get more spells/day by a bit. They also start off with a lot of spells at level 1;

Bards are also strange; at some points their 3x levels have stats nearly identical to a druid's 2x levels (e.g. bard 15 to druid 10); yet they count as full caster level; though at the real early levels it's more likie druids with -1 spell/level;

Paladins and rangers have the same progression; but for some reason they don't get cantrips; they also cap at 3; though they don't lineup well with druid progression if you look at the druid levels of half the pally level; nor does lining them up differently or subtracting a number from each entry or some other formula correct the discrepancy well. for some reason they also use a different philosophy concerning how long it takes before gaining an additional spell of a level you have access to.

I'm wondering why some parts are so universally consistent yet others are done on a completely different philosophy. Why not just use a universal standard with simple modifications on a class basis; like the cleric's +1 domain spell?
Why not just give pallies/rangers +1 spellcasting every other level; and let them use the tables for cleric at that level or thereabouts with some simple modification; or starting at level 4; but having instances of +1 casting level at the right spots?
Are there serious balance implications to readjusting the system for higher universality?

Note this isn't intended to address any balance issues in the game; nor is it intended to change any of them significantly; i'm just pondering ways to increase universality of the system.

dextercorvia
2012-01-17, 12:05 AM
I think you would like Legend. (http://www.ruleofcool.com/get-the-game/)