PDA

View Full Version : Hate that Unsafe Feeling...

Lappy9001
2012-01-17, 02:30 AM
So I'm awakened from my semi-slumber by a woman's scream somewhere in my apartment complex. And this isn't "freaked out by friends" kind of scream, but seriously sounded like she was in trouble. I've called the authorities, and they asked if I wanted to meet a cop at the door. I said that was certainly alright, but I doubt I'll be able to give any info as I didn't see anything.

Currently, I feel unfortunately awake, skeeved out, and helpless...:smallfrown:

Is there anything else I can do, seeing as I lack weapon proficiencies, d12 hit dice, and a desire not to function in a modern society?

Hattish Thing
2012-01-17, 02:32 AM
Scary! :smalleek:

Crow
2012-01-17, 02:35 AM
On the upside, it sounds like you weren´t the target!

thubby
2012-01-17, 03:41 AM
are you friends with the people in your building?
maybe call around?

ShadowHunter
2012-01-17, 03:58 AM
You should always call the cops if you feel really uncomfortable for any reason, but it's almost certainly nothing.

If it makes you feel any better, name all the legitimate dangers that could startle a person into screaming, and then not keep them screaming (and people WILL keep screaming if possible, and it's very effective). You basically have "startled by a murderer, then murdered." The odds of that being the case are pretty astronomically low. Plus, the cops aren't going to go door to door and wake people up just for a brief, non-specific scream. They'll hang around outside, and probably ask anybody leaving for their ID and generally eyeball anybody hanging around.

I suspect someone waking up from a nightmare, kids screwing around, or you having hypnagogic hallucinations (something which I started having very vividly, auditory and visual, when I first moved out, and still do).

Now I'm going to feel bad when they find a body in your apartments

Dr.Epic
2012-01-17, 08:56 PM
Maybe it was just nothing. I once heard a blood curdling scream while in class. My professor - and a few other - went out to see what it was and it turned out to be nothing. Maybe just some random person was being foolishly freaked out over nothing.

Anxe
2012-01-17, 11:02 PM
Probably saw a spider.

DonutBoy12321
2012-01-17, 11:05 PM
I have a condition I call "chronic paranoia", where if it's dark, I start getting that unease feeling. No weird noises necessary.
So I know what you mean. Just try to relax, it's probably nothing.

Helanna
2012-01-18, 12:06 AM
I'll chime in with the people saying it was probably nothing (well, you posted a while ago - did you find anything out?) - but I'll also say I'm still glad you called the police. It's much, much better to maybe annoy some people with the police poking around than to not call them and find out later that something really bad happened. So you made a good choice and did all you could, in my opinion.

Lappy9001
2012-01-18, 03:16 AM
I'll chime in with the people saying it was probably nothing (well, you posted a while ago - did you find anything out?) - but I'll also say I'm still glad you called the police. It's much, much better to maybe annoy some people with the police poking around than to not call them and find out later that something really bad happened. So you made a good choice and did all you could, in my opinion.Well thank you very much!

For what it's worth, I've seen a few police cars patrolling the apartment complex today, so I feel like I've helped a bit, at least

grimbold
2012-01-18, 03:47 AM
Well thank you very much!

For what it's worth, I've seen a few police cars patrolling the apartment complex today, so I feel like I've helped a bit, at least

yay
that sounds a lot better then!

MLai
2012-01-18, 06:12 AM
So has anyone found any corpses yet? :smallsmile:

Orzel
2012-01-18, 06:24 AM
I'm so used to the unsafe feeling... while in my house anyway. I hear loud screams outside my door every night. 9/10 it is some kids who don't know not to have tickle fights outside at midnight, lottery winners, or arguing couples.

Not to mention the monthly late night car crash.

And the ambulances that pass by every night. Last night's ambulance didn't make the news.

My suggestion is to learn some form of relaxing activity.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-18, 06:59 AM
Probably saw a spider.

This spider?
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110509151009/lotr/images/d/d4/Shelob_fighting.jpg

Anxe
2012-01-18, 09:52 AM
This spider?
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110509151009/lotr/images/d/d4/Shelob_fighting.jpg

It has eight eyes and they're all watching you.
http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/ob/2206763002e349c66875o.jpg

Dr.Epic
2012-01-18, 10:19 AM
http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/ob/2206763002e349c66875o.jpg

Pfff. That ain't big enough to eat ta hobbit.

Tyndmyr
2012-01-18, 10:36 AM
Happens, a few days ago, I had my door kicked in by an angry, angry woman who was shouting to someone we'd never heard of to come out. Heard my roomie's GF confronting her and it becoming a bit ugly, and I tossed on pants, and checked to make sure the AR was accessible(It was not loaded, but still, it's a hell of a bonus to an intimidation check). Turns out, she thought her hubbie was cheating on her with someone in our apartment, and went a little crazy. She'd slashed the tires on some truck in the parking lot(possibly his, I dunno), apparently, but we managed to evict her and send her off to, at least, the correct address she had on a bit of paper. *shrug*

So, I guess...lock yer door? And have other preparations in case that doesn't work? In the case of a scream, I'd go have a look with a flashlight at any rate. Weapons are nifty, but there's no need to get too hasty with them. Finding out what's happening is a good first step.

Hattish Thing
2012-01-18, 01:56 PM
Baseball bats do come in handy.:smalltongue:

Zaggab
2012-01-18, 03:18 PM
A friend of mine had the following happen to him a few months ago:

About 10-11 PM, he and his girlfriends hear their doorbell ringing. Outside is a police officer that politely asks if he can try the central key for the building in their apartment door.
Behind this police officer there are 5-6 cops with body armor and carbines. On the street outside, there were 2 police vans.

Turns out that their neighbor was involved with something illegal of some sort. Luckily, the arrest went without incident.

My friend had never noticed anything odd about his neighbors, except a few loud parties.

Stardrake
2012-01-20, 09:06 AM
http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/ob/2206763002e349c66875o.jpg...in terror, since just one of your eyes is bigger than its entire body, and it knows darn well that if it doesn't have an escape route, however strong its poison is there's no way it's going to stop you before you eat, squish, or otherwise dispatch it.

Solaris
2012-01-20, 11:05 AM
You should always call the cops if you feel really uncomfortable for any reason, but it's almost certainly nothing.

"The Boy Who Cried Wolf" has entered into the folklore for a reason.

THAC0
2012-01-20, 12:23 PM
Used to get that feeling. The Smith and Wesson on my hip helps a lot now.

Solaris
2012-01-20, 02:54 PM
Used to get that feeling. The Smith and Wesson on my hip helps a lot now.

Heh, I just left the sandbox. Did wonders for my sense of security. A'course, folks there really were out to get me...