PDA

View Full Version : figments of your imaginatin

Socratov
2012-01-17, 05:31 AM
after the dozens of thread titled somewhere along the lines of "what was your best/funniest/evilest/whatever character?" no we have the next step: what character concept would appeal to you but haven't you played yet and you know isn't played yet?

For instance a healer archetype who would act as the country's Surgeon General (and roleplaying that to great comedy for instance advising everyone to not attack those bandits as it is bad for your health etc.)

Kol Korran
2012-01-17, 08:40 AM
there are two characters that come to mind:

the first is a halfling from a clan of gypsies- he's crude, superstitious, a scoundrel and all that. but he is also for some reason tied to the other PCs and bear a special curse- they can't understand a word he's saying/ writing/ otherwise communicating.

i'd describe his actions in a normal way, but when he talks i'll start talking in jibberish. (i'll pass what i'm actually saying to the DM in notes) i hope this may prove interesting... oh, and a part of the curse is that he is SURE the others understand his words, but they are being overly difficult and playing dumb.

the second idea is in a world our current DM plans to run, where in most places arcane magic is considered BAD, and is actively persecuted. the idea is to play a young aristocrat lady who has found out to her horror that she manifests... powers who look... unhealthy. she tries to run away and hide these, believing she is cursed and therefore reviled and the like.

what makes it special is that the lady is mechnically a warlock, and not exactly in control of her powers- the DM activates them whenever she is fearful, anxious, annoyed and the like. the first power is the "summon swarm" (forgot the actual name) power- bugs creep out of the shadows whenever she is alarmed. the second will be the baleful utterance, only it happens when she sneezes. ("HATCHOO!"- a small statue crumbles...), and then she gets the cold.

might not be that original, (i find most of my ideas originate from somewhere if i look hard enough) but there goes.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-01-17, 10:07 AM
Warforged dungeoncrasher fighter/ warforged juggernaut.

I just want to play as this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUH1xbReI6k&feature=related

Also I've never really played a melee brute type character, I think it would be fun to solve as many problems as possible by running through them.

Mastikator
2012-01-17, 10:25 AM
A bounty hunter / mercenary / barbarian who has on his job traveled to this strange and foreign land (which is wherever we're playing), has found religion on his way and has begin to worship a glorious death in battle and adopted several rules of engagement.
A formerly hedonistic and vulgar warrior has become spiritual and maybe even preachy.

If my current character dies, this is what I'm playing.

Socratov
2012-01-17, 10:46 AM
well, after readinga bit of discworld, I wnat to play Moist von Lipwig. A scoundrel, ocn man, and non violent at that. And he will have killed 2.338 people without using weapons. I'm thinking bluff, diplomacy, forgery, decipher script, sense motive, various knowlegdes, search, sleight of hand through the roof, disguise, hide, move silently and appraise... I'd probably make him a rogue with int through the roof, charisma through the roof, and good grappeling (he's great at ankh morpork barfights :smallamused: )

NikitaDarkstar
2012-01-17, 04:42 PM
Next time I'm playing in an evil campaign and with a DM willing to bed a few rules/resort to damn obscure ones I'd like to play an undead, incoporeal druid (in other words a ghost), who's more than a little bit insane, has a skeletal rat-swarm familiar and wildshapes into undead (but very much coporeal) versions of normal animals.

Her backstory isn't that unique though considering her circumstances. "Her" woods got cleared a very long time ago to make room for farmland that later turned into a city, she finally "woke up" when a slaughterhouse was build where her old groove used to be and went into a blind, vengeful rage. Caused some chaos, still wants revenge.

Yhea, it's gonna take a very special DM to let me run that one. XD

TheThan
2012-01-17, 05:17 PM
I want to play the grizzled old warrior, veteran of a thousand battlefields, wise in the arts of war. He’s seen it all, done it all, nothing really surprises him or frightens him anymore. He uses his memories and tails of his previous exploits on the battlefield to inspire his allies. That’s right; he’s a bard by class.

Dr. Yes
2012-01-17, 05:33 PM
My favorite character concept so far has been the guy in my avatar, but the DM decided to scrap the campaign before I got a chance to bring him in. :(

Anyway, the crunch is he's a charismatic half-orc synthesist summoner with a weapon-wielding eidolon.

The fluff is that he was born to a castle servant and adopted by the court wizard, raised upper-middle class, and generally gets along well in society. He has this spirit that's bound to him, though, and manifests as what he hates and fears about himself---it's this nasty, brutish, bestial thing that's everything he imagines an orc should be. As such, he has some significant hang-ups about bringing out the eidolon, and I was going to have that be a central theme of his character development: coming to accept his heritage and learn when to use it as part of becoming a better-rounded person.

GenericGuy
2012-01-17, 05:41 PM
I wanna play a mutant Illithid with the mind of a spoiled Human princess:smalltongue:

Basically, the Illithids wanted to make one of those “stealth” Illithid that still look like the host’s whose brain was eaten and replaced by the Illithid, but whose body didn’t mutate, and rule the kingdom through the “crowned-princess.” Instead, the princess’s conscience remained and her head still mutated to look like an Illithid’s (making her the ultimate “butter face”:smallbiggrin:), she now adventures to gain enough gold to buy her way back into nobility and reclaim her line to the throne(while learning lessons of friendship and love along the way).

Socratov
2012-01-17, 06:08 PM
I wanna play a mutant Illithid with the mind of a spoiled Human princess:smalltongue:

Basically, the Illithids wanted to make one of those “stealth” Illithid that still look like the host’s whose brain was eaten and replaced by the Illithid, but whose body didn’t mutate, and rule the kingdom through the “crowned-princess.” Instead, the princess’s conscience remained and her head still mutated to look like an Illithid’s (making her the ultimate “butter face”:smallbiggrin:), she now adventures to gain enough gold to buy her way back into nobility and reclaim her line to the throne(while learning lessons of friendship and love along the way).

apart from the illithid and buying back part ithis sounds familiar... :smallwink:

speaking of discworld, Havelock Vetinari woudl be an awesome character concept... his preferred weapon is his vocabulary :smallamused: and his habit is Xanatos Speedchess :smallbiggrin:

GenericGuy
2012-01-17, 06:39 PM
apart from the illithid and buying back part ithis sounds familiar... :smallwink:

speaking of discworld, Havelock Vetinari woudl be an awesome character concept... his preferred weapon is his vocabulary :smallamused: and his habit is Xanatos Speedchess :smallbiggrin:

There is character like this in the discworld series? (I've actually never read it)

I've been waiting for a more light hearted and comedic setting to break out this character, but I tend to play in gritty dark realpolitik settings:smallsigh:.

DarkEricDraven
2012-01-17, 07:24 PM
A wererat. I've never gotten the chance, but I've always thought a wererat would be radical.

Mando Knight
2012-01-17, 07:31 PM
For instance a healer archetype who would act as the country's Surgeon General (and roleplaying that to great comedy for instance advising everyone to not attack those bandits as it is bad for your health etc.)

Surgeon General's Warning: Banditry is extremely hazardous to your health and has been linked to many instances of weapon-related death.

Silus
2012-01-17, 07:32 PM
Well, first we need the proper rules for the Pathfinder Ponies, and then we go from there.

Mando Knight
2012-01-17, 07:34 PM
Well, first we need the proper rules for the Pathfinder Ponies, and then we go from there.

If anything, they'll be included in the 5e D&D rules.

(What are you waiting for, Hasbro? You know there's serious overlap in the show's accidental periphery demographic and consumers that invest in WotC products...)

Silus
2012-01-17, 07:39 PM
If anything, they'll be included in the 5e D&D rules.

(What are you waiting for, Hasbro? You know there's serious overlap in the show's accidental periphery demographic and consumers that invest in WotC products...)

If that's the case, then I suppose I'll wait to see how 5E works before committing to a new system.

Edit: These three:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/SilusCrow/Pony/tumblr_lotay4j3fw1qfdnc4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/SilusCrow/Pony/tumblr_lotautWq6X1qfdnc4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/SilusCrow/Pony/PonyfinderEarthPonytextfix24forealsbalanced.jpg

The Durvin
2012-01-17, 08:44 PM
Villain: a maniacal artificer-wizard specializing in golems/enchanted armor imbued with elemental powers.

In other words, Dr. Wily.

Mando Knight
2012-01-17, 11:46 PM
If that's the case, then I suppose I'll wait to see how 5E works before committing to a new system.

Edit: These three:

I know what you were referring to, just commenting that unless it's slipped into the end-of-life material for 4e (this or next year's April Fools issue of Dragon, maybe?), if Hasbro realizes that they can release the Equestria Campaign Setting for profit, it'll be for 5e. If Paizo asks if they can publish official Pony racial stats, Hasbro will likely say "Great idea, glad we thought of it."

Silus
2012-01-18, 12:31 AM
I know what you were referring to, just commenting that unless it's slipped into the end-of-life material for 4e (this or next year's April Fools issue of Dragon, maybe?), if Hasbro realizes that they can release the Equestria Campaign Setting for profit, it'll be for 5e. If Paizo asks if they can publish official Pony racial stats, Hasbro will likely say "Great idea, glad we thought of it."

Technically, you only need to make up rules for the Cutie Marks and maybe some Equestria based feats and gear and you have working characters.

Socratov
2012-01-18, 02:29 AM
There is character like this in the discworld series? (I've actually never read it)

I've been waiting for a more light hearted and comedic setting to break out this character, but I tend to play in gritty dark realpolitik settings:smallsigh:.

wasnt a reference to discworld, but to ponies, top student, yadda-yadda, no friendship, yadda-yadda, sent away, yadda-yadda, original purpose to get back by researching the magic of friendship...yadda-yadda.

:smallamused:

DigoDragon
2012-01-18, 09:21 AM
Well, only one player in my group has ever played a druid (And played it pretty much like a paladin of Ehlonna, so he ended up retraining levels)...

I've recently wanted to play this human druid/rogue "KPAX" concept.

The idea is that he believes he is an alien from another planet come to study the world and help ensure its potential for becoming a peaceful, enlightened society in tune with nature. His homeworld's science and technology is so in-tune with nature that it imitates the "druid abilities" found on this planet.

Of course, like the movie, there's no evidence to support if this human is an alien from another world or just a crazy nutjob who wants to teach people about environmental conservation. Indeed, even I left that part open to interpretation because it's FUN to have little mysteries. :smallbiggrin: