PDA

View Full Version : Feats... simple enough

gleith
2012-01-17, 06:23 AM
I'm having some issues locating feats for a character Im making. I found a feat(online, with no source) that my dm has said is real, however, I cannot find which book it is in. The feat is the Campaigner feat, it allows you to sleep in your armor without taking penalty's. Does anyone know its location?

Mystify
2012-01-17, 06:35 AM
It seems to be from the netbook of feats

gleith
2012-01-17, 06:37 AM
yes, but is it in a book anywhere?

Ossian
2012-01-17, 06:38 AM
Try heroes of battle! Or at any rate one of the series about war and large scale conflicts

gleith
2012-01-17, 06:44 AM
I'll try looking again, i've been sifting through the 43ish books I've got for awhile

Circle of Life
2012-01-17, 06:45 AM
Alternately, you could just add a Restful armor crystal to the armor and save one of your precious feats.

No idea where the feat comes from, though.

Mystify
2012-01-17, 06:47 AM
Alternately, you could just add a Restful armor crystal to the armor and save one of your precious feats.

No idea where the feat comes from, though.

If this is allowed it its the far superior option. Feats are precious, armor crystals are cheap and swapable.

gleith
2012-01-17, 06:56 AM
I can see, but he doesn't usually incorporate crystals into the game that often

Amphetryon
2012-01-17, 07:09 AM
Endurance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#endurance) lets you sleep in your armor, along with another small benefit. In the interest of full disclosure, I'll add it's usually considered sub-par unless you're using it as a stepping stone for another feat or a PrC.

Mystify
2012-01-17, 07:11 AM
Endurance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#endurance) lets you sleep in your armor, along with another small benefit. In the interest of full disclosure, I'll add it's usually considered sub-par unless you're using it as a stepping stone for another feat or a PrC.

Endurance is only light or medium. The feat in question worked for heavy.

gleith
2012-01-17, 07:35 AM
correct, and since my character is going to be wearing mountian plate, in a campaign where we'll be attacked while were resting almost every resting period, I want to be able to be fully ready to defend our objective. So far I'm the only playher who knows this piece of information. The dm likes to give certian tidbits to players before hand, and they says to compensate for it, so they can make more in depth characters... it makes things more interesting.

Mystify
2012-01-17, 07:59 AM
correct, and since my character is going to be wearing mountian plate, in a campaign where we'll be attacked while were resting almost every resting period, I want to be able to be fully ready to defend our objective. So far I'm the only playher who knows this piece of information. The dm likes to give certian tidbits to players before hand, and they says to compensate for it, so they can make more in depth characters... it makes things more interesting.

Mountain plate... but why? Its net AC is no better than battle plate, and both require a single feat. And Battle plate doesn't turn you into a immobile island. And since its stone, you can't even get a special material out of it.

Darrin
2012-01-17, 08:00 AM

There's also the Restful armor property in Dungeonscape: same price, and it leaves your augment crystal slot open for something else.

Golden Ladybug
2012-01-17, 08:55 AM
From the Notes section of the feat, from the Netbook of Feats

Players seem to like doing this so why not have a feat
for it. It could work for the rugged soldier or a ranger
sleeping in the rain.

Which suggests to me that it is a 3rd party feat, created for the Netbook of Feats itself. Nothing else in the entry suggests that it was printed in any given sourcebook, so unless someone with greater Google-Fu than I can find it (always a possibility, my Google-Fu is frighteningly weak), I think this'll probably be the only thing we can do about Campaigner.

Still, the other suggestions in this thread are solid, and if you're DM is adamant that its a real feat, I'm sure you'll be fine to take it if you want to :smallwink:

Mystify
2012-01-17, 08:57 AM
From the Notes section of the feat, from the Netbook of Feats

Which suggests to me that it is a 3rd party feat, created for the Netbook of Feats itself. Nothing else in the entry suggests that it was printed in any given sourcebook, so unless someone with greater Google-Fu than I can find it (always a possibility, my Google-Fu is frighteningly weak), I think this'll probably be the only thing we can do about Campaigner.

Still, the other suggestions in this thread are solid, and if you're DM is adamant that its a real feat, I'm sure you'll be fine to take it if you want to :smallwink:
Yeah, this is the conclusion I came to as well.

Yora
2012-01-17, 08:59 AM
If the DM knows the feat and allows you to use it, there's no problem. Doesn't really matter where it is from.

Kalegkos
2012-01-17, 02:40 PM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Campaigner_(3.5e_Feat)

Check this. I think this is the one. Whatever you want, considering D&D, just spell the word and add srd at the end. Example : Campaigner feat srd.

TroubleBrewing
2012-01-17, 02:44 PM
The Called armor property from MIC could also work for this.

herrhauptmann
2012-01-17, 02:58 PM
The dm likes to give certian tidbits to players before hand, and they says to compensate for it, so they can make more in depth characters... it makes things more interesting.
Good on'yer for taking advantage of DM hints.
But I'm not sure if that's considered 'in depth' or just intelligent decision-making.

The Called armor property from MIC could also work for this.

There's a ring that'll do it too. Ring of arming I think.

nedz
2012-01-17, 03:38 PM
My GoogleFu is powerful:
Campaigner is not a WotC feat.
And I didn't use Google.

Glimbur
2012-01-17, 06:41 PM

Also, sleeping in armor makes you fatigued when you wake up. Lesser Restoration fixes fatigue, and is a useful wand to have anyway for ability damage. The only downside is your crippling addiction to magic, but mid to high level adventurers have that anyway.

Eisenfavl
2012-01-17, 07:26 PM
Mountain Plate? Really?
Getting the augment crystal from MIC is what I normally do, but really? Mountain Plate?

Mithral Segmented Reinforced Lightweight Thaalud Stone Armour is up at 13 AC and 3 max dex and is non-magical. It is far cheaper, and doesn't have retardedly high movement penalties and you don't waste a feat on 1 extra AC.
I mean even if Thaalud Stone Armour (which has 12 AC by default, 0 max dex) isn't allowed, Mechanus Gear Plate or whatever it is called is basically mountain plate which doesn't require a goddawful feat.

herrhauptmann
2012-01-17, 08:21 PM
Mithral Segmented Reinforced Lightweight Thaalud Stone Armour is up at 13 AC and 3 max dex and is non-magical. It is far cheaper, and doesn't have retardedly high movement penalties and you don't waste a feat on 1 extra AC.
I mean even if Thaalud Stone Armour (which has 12 AC by default, 0 max dex) isn't allowed, Mechanus Gear Plate or whatever it is called is basically mountain plate which doesn't require a goddawful feat.

Where do you find the following:
Segmented
Reinforced
Lightweight
and Thaalud?

Mechanus armor, isn't that the one that gives a huge boost to strength, but has the chance of breaking when you get hit with fire or cold damage?

Golden Ladybug
2012-01-17, 08:53 PM
Where do you find the following:
Segmented
Reinforced
Lightweight
and Thaalud?

Mechanus armor, isn't that the one that gives a huge boost to strength, but has the chance of breaking when you get hit with fire or cold damage?

Mechanus Armor is mundane-ish armor from the Planar Handbook, has a AC of +10, a Dex of +0 and a check Penalty of 50%

Reinforced seems to be a variant rule, from what I could find, and Segmented is interesting because the Planar Handbook has got a set of Segmented Armor as well as the Mechanus Gear, which you can wear as Light, Medium or Heavy Armor depending on how much of it you wear. No Idea where Lightweight comes from, but Thaalud is part of the name (Thaalud Stone Armor, not Stone Armor with the Thaalud property :smallwink:)

gleith
2012-01-17, 09:53 PM
I actually chose mountain plate because... well, I always forget battle plate. not gonna lie. I'm also having the armor made from celestial Argentum (from BoEF, xP)

My dm also said that I could make mountian plate from celestial argentum if I could afford it.

gleith
2012-01-17, 10:04 PM
non- related question... What is the difference between the metamagic feats such as empower and maximize ect., compared to Sudden empower and sudden maximize ect.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-17, 10:07 PM
Have you seen this?

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12837

And have you, uh, looked at the text of the sudden feats? What about the text do you not understand?

Eisenfavl
2012-01-17, 10:10 PM
Nononono

Segmented Reinforced and Lightwieght are 'mastercraft' options from one of the dragon magazines, namely 358.
Reinforced increases AC by one, raises weight.
Lightwieght reduces weight.
Segmented raises max dex by one.

I don't have the book for Thaalud Stone Armour myself but it's from Anauroch the Empire of Shade.
I just take it from fair-use when it was posted on brilliant gameologists, here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=d56oebi6e5r2vuu3r2tuf23d13&topic=7201.msg236688#msg236688).

gleith
2012-01-17, 10:21 PM
Have you seen this?

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12837

And have you, uh, looked at the text of the sudden feats? What about the text do you not understand?

First, I do not know what book their in, I'm looking over a friends character for them, I've never played a spell caster before so I've never had to look at those feats.

Have not seen that before actually (= thanks for the resource

I'll have everyone know, my googlefoo is weak. Also I seem to be missing a few books... Namely the planar handbook, and probably a lot more... I've only got 44 of the 3.0 and 3.5 books xP

herrhauptmann
2012-01-17, 10:46 PM
Nononono

Segmented Reinforced and Lightwieght are 'mastercraft' options from one of the dragon magazines, namely 358.

I don't have the book for Thaalud Stone Armour myself but it's from Anauroch the Empire of Shade.
I just take it from fair-use when it was posted on brilliant gameologists, here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=d56oebi6e5r2vuu3r2tuf23d13&topic=7201.msg236688#msg236688).

Hmmm, 180pounds for a huge creature.
Doesn't weight double per size increase? So sizing for a medium creature would make it 1 quarter of the weight. 45 pounds? Yes please.

gleith
2012-01-17, 11:46 PM
Nononono

anyone know where I can find the dragon magazines?

Eisenfavl
2012-01-18, 12:22 AM
Hmmm, 180pounds for a huge creature.
Doesn't weight double per size increase? So sizing for a medium creature would make it 1 quarter of the weight. 45 pounds? Yes please.
Sorry, but those statistics are for a medium creature.

The statistics below are for a set of the armor sized for
a Medium creature.
blahblahblah.... weight 180 lb.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-18, 10:45 AM
First, I do not know what book their in, I'm looking over a friends character for them, I've never played a spell caster before so I've never had to look at those feats.

Try Complete Arcane. Also try googling "Sudden Empower" and clicking on the first link.

FMArthur
2012-01-18, 12:51 PM
Sudden metamagic feats function exactly the same as regular metamagic in how they affect the spell itself, but can be applied without increasing the level of the spell or specifically preparing it that way ahead of time (ie you decide to modify the spell with it at the moment of casting). They can only be used 1/day each.

The sudden metamagic feats are generally considered to be subpar. Sudden Widen is the only one improving the spell itself that sees much favor, since that can let you dominate a battlefield much more significantly than just increasing your damage briefly and its effect is not as easy to render obsolete through other means. Sudden Still and Sudden Silent are handy for improving the way you cast the spell and they're a bit more liked even if they don't directly influence how powerful you are. I really like Sudden Still; it's a great emergency measure for when you're tied up or grappled or something.

Sudden metamagic is best taken at low levels (when you can't even use their normal counterparts because of the slot adjustments) and retrained later.