PDA

View Full Version : mutants and masterminds 2e qestion

handofme
2012-01-17, 06:31 AM
Seeing as I'm going to attempt to GM A M&M session I have a few questions about the combat and was hoping that you nice forum people could help me.

The characters which are going to be involved are:

The heroes:

Fierce Fox’s Fighting team

Members:

Fierce Fox
The leader of the team, well sort of. She was chosen by higher ups to lead a team of unleadabul hero's and is somewhat out of her depth but she will show the world what she can do or failing that fireball it and fly away.

Real Identity: Julia Vern a writer.

Stats:

Str 10
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 14
wis 20
cha 20

saves Thugh: 10 (ability 2, power 8) fort: 10 (ability 2 power 8) ref: 3 will: 5

Defence Bounus 20, doge bonus 20, flat foted 20, attack bonus 15, melee bonus 15 range bonus 17,

Grapple 15 (telikensis grapple 25)

Feats: Leadership

Powers
Telekinesis rank 10
extra Damaging
feat Precise

Flight rank 10

Blast rank 8
extra Area; Burst (50 ft)
extra Save; (Reflex)

Shield rank 8
extra Action; Reaction

Protection 8
extra Impervious

This character was made using a program I believe is called mutagen and I’m not entirely sure everything is up to snuff.... So any sugestions would be welcome (the player wanted a flying, telekinesis wielding, fireball throwing hero that could also take some punishment)

Jon Eagle
An eccentric millionaire that moved into a new space station orbiting the earth but was exposed to radiation and transformed into a super hero. He needs fame to feel alive but hates all the baggage that comes with fame and loathes few things more then cameras.

Real Identity: John Elderberry man about town

Str 12
dex 30
con 30
int 14
wis 14
cha 22

saves though 10, fort 11, ref 11, will 11

defence bouns 8, dodge bonus 13, flat footed 8, attack bonus 10, melee bounus 11, range bonus 20

grapple 12

powers:

Disintegration rank 5

Flight rank 10

SmashFace

A well meaning but not to bright politician who stays in power because he keeps passing laws (on the advice of devious men) that make the rich richer. He’s an accident prone power house who’s out for justice but often ends up costing the city more in damages then what he saves by stopping criminals.

Real Identity: Andy McPow, politician

str 34/18
dex 10
con 38/18
int 10
wis 12
cha 12

saves though 14, fort 14, ref 4, will 6

defence bonus 6 doge bonus 9 flat footed 6, attack bouns 8, melee bonus 10, range bonus 10

grapple 27

feats improved pin, power attack

skills intimidate 7 ranks, notice 7 ranks, profession (politician) 6 ranks

powers

Enhanced constitution 20

impervius toughness 10

leaping 9

enhanced strangth 16

imunity 12

super strength 7
feat groundstrike, shockwave

(this is just the power house template with one alteration)

The Thump
Little is known about this alien, except he doesn't really get the concept of doors. He’s a potent but unliked crime fighter because he always takes a 10% finders fee of anything he saves claiming that that’s how they do things where he comes from. Some say he organizes crimes just to stop them but no evidence to support this has ever been found and the criminals he catches always get brought to justice.

Real Identity: ??? (but he maintains that his name is Minkus@#s Svip)

Str 30
dex 24
con 20
int 14
wis 14
cha 24

saves though 5,fort 5, ref 7, wil 2

defence bonus 10 doge bonus 5 flat footed 10 attack bonus 5 melee bonus 15 ranged bonus 12

grapple 25

Feats Jack of all trades, Luck

Teleport 10
change direction
change velocity
easy
prosression
turnabout
accurate

Speed 10

Quickness 5

Comprehend 1
(speeak all languaes)

The Villans are doc Otaku's Angel droids

str 30 dex 34 con - int 11 wis 12 cha 14

skills acrobat 4 notice 4 sense motive 8

feats attractive, set-up, teamwork

powers immunity 40 (fortitude, mental effects), protection 8

combat: attack 10 damgae 10 (unarmed) defense 12 inititive 12

saving throws toughness 8 fortitude - reflex 12 will 6

Now I was wondering if you could just run a complicated fight scenario for me so I can see how exactly all this works out, I'll post one I tried on my lonesome, hopfully later to day

If you can: Thank you so much what nice person you are.

If you can't: I totally get it, but thanks for reading through this in any case

If you have any other comment: Thanks for your input (with further added comments depending on what the input actually is)

Canine
2012-01-17, 07:48 AM
I suspect this thread should be moved to the "Older D&D/AD&D and Other Systems" portion of the boards, but I won't let that stop me.

You might also want to look at The Atomic Thinktank (http://www.atomicthinktank.com/index.php), with this thread (http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24919&sid=2b8fedd7108470771ab6b4a8e49228f2) in particular having links to some good example fights. Lots of older discussions there on character building, tons of sample characters, and how to determine/scale combat appropriately.

On your characters, to do any real analysis of their stats, we'll need to know what power level the characters are at, and how many power points they have (for really detailed analysis).

You may want to list each characters total Defense (combined from defense bonus, dodge bonus, etc.) rather than having it broken out into components, to make it easier for you to compare the characters to one another. It also looks like some of the characters have too much or not enough Toughness/Defense, but I can't tell which without knowing their power level. Same goes for the Attack/DC balance.

I have found that M&M is fairly forgiving in combat, as long as most people aren't using lethal damage. And if your heroes are winning a little too easily, you can always have a new wave of slightly improved villains show up. Good luck!

handofme
2012-01-17, 10:09 AM
Power level 10

150 power points

Hooray for posting in a hurry, you never forget what you where going to put in.

Canine
2012-01-19, 08:07 AM
Fierce Fox
Dodge bonus is too high
Flat Footed defense is too high
Defense bonus of 20 is fine, if that is the base of 10 + all modifiers; if not, it needs to be reevaluated
If the Blast power is General, it is fine; if it is Targeted, either the Blast Rank or the Ranged Attack bonus should be lowered so their combined value is 20 or less

Jon Eagle
Defense bonus, dodge bonus and flat footed need to be recalculated/clarified; with a Toughness of 10, the total defense can't be higher than 20 (base 10 + modifiers), so he can't have a dodge bonus of 13
Ranged Attack bonus or Disintegration ranks need to be reduced so that they add up to 20

SmashFace
Defense bonus, dodge bonus and flat footed need to be recalculated/clarified; with a Toughness of 14, the total defense can't be higher than 16 (base 10 + modifiers), so he can't have a dodge bonus of 9
Strength or Melee Attack bonus needs to be reduced so that Strength bonus + melee bonus add up to 20

The Thump
If his base Defense bonus is 10, with an additional 5 ranks of Dodge (giving him a Defense of 25), then his flat footed defense should only be 15
Strength or Melee Attack bonus needs to be reduced so that Strength bonus + melee bonus add up to 20

I only glanced at your villains, but they look alright.

I didn't add up all of the power points for the heroes, and I'm sure I missed some things, but they could all use a little work and probably a clearer format for their Defense values. It may help to spell out exactly where everything comes from (ranks of Dodge Focus, Attack Focus, etc).