PDA

View Full Version : granting choosable SLAs to all classes

motoko's ghost
2012-01-17, 07:19 AM
So I was wondering if giving everyone the spellpowered template from the book of templates was a good idea?

for those who havent read it it basically gives whatever 2*HD in points which it can then trade in for SLAs(1/day=splv points,3/day=2*splv,at will=3*splv,constant=4*splv, no spell level being more than 1/2 their HD)

Letting the players choose(and reset, maybe at the start of every level and/or after a week of meditation) could allow for some neat tricks, making sure you rule 0 anything silly like constant true strike,etc.

Pyromancer999
2012-01-17, 10:21 AM
Hmmm...sounds like a nice thing for lower-tier classes, but I really wouldn't do it for upper-tier ones, for obvious reasons.

motoko's ghost
2012-01-17, 10:23 AM
Hmmm...sounds like a nice thing for lower-tier classes, but I really wouldn't do it for upper-tier ones, for obvious reasons.

Yeah that sounds reasonable, might want to claim they come from intense self-meditation for fluff reasons though.

Pyromancer999
2012-01-17, 04:15 PM
Yeah that sounds reasonable, might want to claim they come from intense self-meditation for fluff reasons though.

Eh, might work for the monk. But it can also work for lower-tier classes with other fluff. See:

Rogue: It's not unusual for a rogue to pick up a trick or two to help out with thieving or other business they carry out.

Paladin: Sure, they've already got spells, but sometimes a god wants to give his champions something that makes them special.

Ranger: Sometimes the Ranger spell list just doesn't cut it when trying to hunt and such.

Fighter: Fighting straight up just doesn't work anymore, so it'd make sense if some fighters took up some magic on the side.

Re'ozul
2012-01-17, 04:25 PM
While interesting I am automatically against anything that diminishes the Warlocks relevance.

This could allow all classes to get the low level buffs warlock can have (or at-will attack spells as reserve).
If no one is playing a warlock or Dragonfire adept in a game where this is implemented I guess it could work.

Depending on how much people optimize you could also modify it by the tier system. Instead of 2*HD they get (Tier/2)*HD.

Prime32
2012-01-17, 07:29 PM
Why not use prepackaged SLA suites? (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=570)

EDIT:
Depending on how much people optimize you could also modify it by the tier system. Instead of 2*HD they get (Tier/2)*HD.How do you handle multiclassing? Is a wizard 3/cleric 3/archivist 3/druid 3/artificer 3/StP erudite 3 treated as Tier 1?

motoko's ghost
2012-01-18, 12:43 AM
While interesting I am automatically against anything that diminishes the Warlocks relevance.

This could allow all classes to get the low level buffs warlock can have (or at-will attack spells as reserve).
If no one is playing a warlock or Dragonfire adept in a game where this is implemented I guess it could work.

Depending on how much people optimize you could also modify it by the tier system. Instead of 2*HD they get (Tier/2)*HD.

In all honesty in all my years of playing and DM-ing no-one has ever played a warlock, EVER.

Interesting idea with the tier/2*HD concept,though.

Pyromancer999
2012-01-18, 11:26 AM
In all honesty in all my years of playing and DM-ing no-one has ever played a warlock, EVER.

There's one in my group right now. Let's just say he's a one-man force of ranged destruction, although granted he's using DM of Darkness's fix. Still, don't think this would pose much of a threat with the tier idea, especially since it would give a warlock some spells of his own. Might make for a dangerous Commoner, though.

Interesting idea with the tier/2*HD concept,though.
Agreed.

motoko's ghost
2012-01-18, 10:29 PM
There's one in my group right now. Let's just say he's a one-man force of ranged destruction, although granted he's using DM of Darkness's fix. Still, don't think this would pose much of a threat with the tier idea, especially since it would give a warlock some spells of his own. Might make for a dangerous Commoner, though.

restrict it to PCs&adepts then?
so do wizards&clerics&whatnot only get 1pt/HD? or do they get squat?
monk and fighter would be good with this (enlarge person,true strike,etc)

Mangles
2012-01-19, 08:38 AM
A level 20 tier 6 class that spent all its points on level 9 SLA's could get two of them at will. This is never going to replace the warlock, but I feel its a nice addition to a high magic world. Also I feel there is no need to restrict it against any class that has been properly placed in the tier system, if you can find a 20th level commoner why not give them a few SLA's.

Wizards should get 1/2 a point per level or 1 point every second level if you would prefer. This lets them grab a few low level SLA's once they have progressed a bit. No need for them to get all the nice things.

As for wizard 3/cleric 3/archivist 3/druid 3/artificer 3/StP erudite 3.
Its 18 tier one levels which means that it gets 9 points to spend of SLA's. Just because a PC tries to get all the things doesn't mean they should be rewarded.

The Maths

Tier/2 * HD
6/2 *20
3*20
=60

Spell Level * 3
9*3
=27

3 tier 1 + 3 tier 1 + 3 tier 1 + 3 tier 1 + 3 tier 1 + 3 tier 1= 18

Circle of Life
2012-01-19, 08:41 AM
[...]so its 18 tier ones which means that it gets 9 points to spend of SLA's. Just because a PC tries to get all the things doesn't mean they should be rewarded.

I believe the point being made was that multiclassing between tier 1s like that so excessively doesn't give you power at all - in fact, it would probably be considered a tier 5 overall: no good options for anything at all. Why, then, would that be considered a tier 1?

Mangles
2012-01-20, 02:57 AM
I understand that the character would look like a tier 5 overall, but the fairest way to handle this sort of tier based thing is just to blanket cover tiers like this and if someone knowingly starts the game in a less then optimal situation than so be it.

As long as all the players agree to this system than what's the problem if one of them chooses not to utilize it too the fullest. Besides the DM could always give out points if one of the party is lagging behind. Like everything in D&D if your going to take wizard 3/cleric 3/archivist 3/druid 3/artificer 3/StP erudite 3/whatever than the DM is going to have to adjust things to help you fit in.