PDA

View Full Version : Which is better? epic spellcasting vs improved spell capacity

motoko's ghost
2012-01-17, 07:27 AM
This is assuming a sane-ish DM(no abuse of epic DCs, but its me so:smalltongue:) and reasonable access to metamagic and meatamagic level modifiers for a CR29,23HD monster I'm homebrewing, its got 20thlv casting in both arcane and divine(arcane is spontaneous) and I cant really decide which I like more(it only has that one epic feat due to its HD).

Help me internet!:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Alleran
2012-01-17, 07:43 AM
This is assuming a sane-ish DM(no abuse of epic DCs, but its me so:smalltongue:) and reasonable access to metamagic and meatamagic level modifiers for a CR29,23HD monster I'm homebrewing, its got 20thlv casting in both arcane and divine(arcane is spontaneous) and I cant really decide which I like more(it only has that one epic feat due to its HD).

Help me internet!:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:
It'd probably still be Epic Spellcasting. It has benefits that normal (albeit improved) spellcasting doesn't, such as how it interacts with antimagic fields and the like. Even average epic spells are still great for those week-long buffs, something 10th level (even 11th or 12th level) spells can't really do.

Psyren
2012-01-17, 09:45 AM
Epic has more potential power obviously (you can build your own spells, after all, plus the antimagic point Alleran covered) but it's so much work to actually balance epic magic somewhere on the spectrum between campaign-smasher and useless that ISC is often the better choice in practice.

motoko's ghost
2012-01-17, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the advice, found out it can qualify for an extra epic feat due to some illithid-style cheese so might take both:smallbiggrin:

@psyren; I know what you mean, transport is either a slower 500'000gp version of a 7thlv spell or its something that can banish an entire army to the negative energy plane as a free action.:smalltongue:

My favorite was one that acted as a permanent rary's telepathic bond for everyone in a 20ft radius(hivemind!:smallbiggrin:)

Chronos
2012-01-17, 07:29 PM
What Knowledge skills does this critter have access to? Your number of epic spell slots per day depends on your Knowledge (Arcana) (for arcane casters) or Knowledge (Religion) and Knowledge (Nature) (for divine casters). And the number of slots stacks. So if you've got access to all Knowledge skills, and both kinds of casting, you can get three times as many epic slots as a single-classed epic caster.

Optimator
2012-01-17, 07:53 PM
My group uses the improved spell capacity and we can research 10th, 11th, etc. spells or metamagic lower level spells, as normal. Custom-making a 10th level spell is just as time consuming as epic spell casting, requires the same amount of DM interaction, and isn't subject to the stupid Epic Spell DC/Seed system.

navar100
2012-01-17, 09:03 PM
It depends on what your Spellcraft is. Published epic spells have, in my opinion, ridiculous Spellcraft DC. If you're playing 30th, 40th level, fine, go Epic Spellcasting. If you're in a probably more typical game of just finished 20th level now moving on to 21st, Improved Spell Capacity is the way to go. If the campaign ends at 30th level, an Epic Spell would be like a capstone. It's something you get at 28th level the earliest, useful for its own use, but the tool you need to fight the Epic BBEG of the Epic Battle to save Existence.

sonofzeal
2012-01-17, 09:41 PM
I prefer Automatic Quicken Spell, and/or Improved Metamagic. I find they're generally more valuable in practice.

motoko's ghost
2012-01-18, 12:53 AM
What Knowledge skills does this critter have access to? Your number of epic spell slots per day depends on your Knowledge (Arcana) (for arcane casters) or Knowledge (Religion) and Knowledge (Nature) (for divine casters). And the number of slots stacks. So if you've got access to all Knowledge skills, and both kinds of casting, you can get three times as many epic slots as a single-classed epic caster.

It has both know(arcana) and know(religion), so it gets both arcane and divine

I prefer Automatic Quicken Spell, and/or Improved Metamagic. I find they're generally more valuable in practice.

It doesnt have enough HD to get the skill ranks necessary for those, also its part beholder so it already can just spam huge numbers of spells anyways, it also can qualify for metaray, so its not that big a deal about metamagic reduction