View Full Version : Ustalavian Ravenloft IC

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Stormwind
2012-06-02, 05:13 PM
Ignoring Amon as if it never happened, as determined OOC.

Raven nods at Conner's words, "If we are to make the hill in good time, I suspect we will need to leave at lunch at the very latest. That being the case, I believe I'll use the morning to visit the local store and see whether they stock anything of interest. I suggest we all meet back here before midday."

She then turns to Ireena, "Mi'lady, is it your intent to accompany us against the witches?"

stack
2012-06-04, 07:43 AM
Ireena shakes her head. "No, I will remain behind for today and ponder the woman's answer. I will make certain everything is ready for your return and will wait for you. Someone must see the gates opened for you after dark."

__________________________________________________ _____________

You depart town yet again after Pious finishes healing the lingering touch of of the strange shades. The day is overcast, though no raining. You make fair time, passing the sodden tracks you left the day before. The road winds slowly upward. You pass the point where you turned off to visit Madam Eva, the road cutting back to wind around the increasing heights. Over the trees you can see, on your left, the imposing mound of Lysanga Hill, watching you until the nearer heights hide it from view.

A steady roar of rushing water marks you proximity to the falls. A figure stands in the road ahead of you. A dwarf, by his height, with a pair of axes in his belt and a long rifle over his shoulder. Closer inspection reveals it to be an intricate wheel-lock, much newer and more finely crafted than the matchlocks that seem prevalent in this backwards land, if not exactly state-of-the-art.

He raises a hand. "Hold a moment and have a word." he croaks.

Salvatore: A canine shadow hangs off to the side, hiding in the dark of the wood.

Firebeard
2012-06-04, 08:28 AM
"And what word would that be, neighbor?" Connor asked.

stack
2012-06-04, 11:30 AM
"I be knowing these woods better than any o' the townies. Lived out here longer than any o' you been alive, I reckon. Rumor tells you have business on the hill, back the other direct. I can guide you there, if'n yer willin. Steer you clear o' the dangers o' the forest."

Connor and SalvatorHis offer seems genuine, though he feels off. Perhaps an ulterior motive?

Erin and OTHis offer seems genuine.

Detect evil:evil

Bhaakon
2012-06-04, 05:11 PM
"You and your pet, you mean," replies Salvatore, nodding in the direction of the shadow.

Then, to the others, "Let us take him up on his offer, it seems genuine enough."

Sthalor
2012-06-04, 06:29 PM
The Old Timer, his raven absent and a red paper lantern now hanging from the top of his staff, nods, adding, "Aye, getting lost in these woods is not high on my list of things to do in Ustalav."

Firebeard
2012-06-05, 07:33 AM
Connnor twitched his eyes to the side as Salvatore mentioned the canine shape in the woods. It would not do to be flanked just now, should trouble arise.

"Ah, but we were going to the falls first, and then to the hill. It would be better if we continued on that plan, I think." Connor watched the dwarf with narrowed eyes as he said this. There was something not quite right about his offer.

stack
2012-06-05, 08:28 AM
The dwarf barks toward the shadow, "Farkash, come."

A wolf slinks forward, taking position at his side. "Thought it best he stay out of sight. Some of the ignorant villagers find him unsettling. Takes a good eye to spot him when he doesn't wish to be seen." He give an appraising look at Salvatore.

"You'll find naught interesting at the falls. Roads safe enough, but there be a pack of worgs about. Best not to go wandering about without a guide. Not all the critters be nice as Farkash." The wolf's tongue lolls out as it watches you intently.

" 'Sides, less you feel a powerful need to be swimming, there's ought there."

Everyone: Yeah, he's not telling the truth about the falls.

Bloody good sense motive rolls you lot made.:smallannoyed:

Stormwind
2012-06-05, 08:59 AM
Raven has been fairly silent in the discussion up to this point. Something about the fellow just didn't rub her right, a feeling confirmed by Morganna's confirmation of the dwarf's nature.

Looking appraisingly at the dwarf, Raven suddenly asks, "You're a hunter aren't you? And a rather good one if I don't miss my guess. Would I be far wrong if I supposed that you know this land better than most?"

Bluff (to disguise the fact that she is digging/probing for certain information): [roll0]

Firebeard
2012-06-05, 09:00 AM
"If it's all the same to you, neighbor, we have business at the falls, and it isn't swimming. If you're so keen on acting as a local guide, perhaps you can take us there and help us find what we seek. Then, perhaps, you can lead us to this hill you mentioned."

stack
2012-06-05, 09:08 AM
His face begins to twist in anger before calming himself. "You want to go to the falls? Fine. Best view is from the bridge. Romantic trip, is it?"

"Aye, I'm a hunter. Varikov, I's called. Lord's game warden, so to speak. Know e'ry nook and dip in these hills." His pride is evident despite his growing frustration.

Bhaakon
2012-06-05, 09:45 AM
"Does it really matter what order we go in? If Varikov here can get us to the hill more quickly than we would wandering through the woods by ourselves, then there's that much more time for us to get to the falls and back."

Sthalor
2012-06-05, 01:06 PM
The Old Timer narrows his eyes, and an unseen breeze gently moves the paper lantern on his staff as it glows softly. "Ye Gods, we don't have time for this. If Mister Varikov here would like to take us where we need to go, then so be it. Otherwise, I'm of the opinion we have very little need for his services."

Firebeard
2012-06-05, 01:47 PM
"Given that a man's life may be at stake, I'd like to continue to the falls first." How about it ranger? Care to take us to the falls and help us find what we're looking for?"

stack
2012-06-05, 08:05 PM
"Eh, you think you can't find a waterfall? Who's life you lot so keen on saving? Obviously not your own."

Firebeard
2012-06-06, 07:24 AM
"I'm fairly sure that the falls would not be too difficult to find. But, since you were offering guide services, I thought you might be keen to take us there. As for our lives being in danger, is there something at the falls that's dangerous?" Connor cautioned the dwarf with a glance. Threats were not appreciated, not now.

Bhaakon
2012-06-07, 06:13 AM
"I believe he's referring to the dangers of the woods that he's offering to lead us past," says Salvatore. "But I'll defer to your judgement. The falls first."

stack
2012-06-07, 07:00 AM
He tilts his head impatiently. "And if you lot tells me what it be ye lookin' fer, I can find it faster. What ye seekin' at the falls?"

Stormwind
2012-06-07, 08:54 AM
Raven watches the dwarf carefully, her suspicions awaiting confirmation as she looks him in the eyes and says, "We're looking for a young man, the husband of a friend of mine, whom we have reason to believe is near the falls"
Raven is somewhat suspicious of the dwarf based on the fact that he is a self-proclaimed hunter, and with what she knows of his nature (via Morganna's detect evil) and Madam Eva's reading and explanation:

"Water earth and sky, the hunter now the beast, the hunter now the prey."
"The young man fell afoul, not of those he hunted, but of one who hunted him. He lies beyond the falling water."

I leave Raven's sense motive check (1d20+12) plus any applicable bonus in the hands of our good GM :smallwink:

Firebeard
2012-06-07, 09:05 AM
Yeah, that's what Connor's been thinking too. It's why he is continuing to push for the falls and try and draw out the dwarf

stack
2012-06-07, 09:52 AM
"Eh, that boy, hunting werewolves was it? Sent him on his way. Told 'im to go home. Seemed keen, last saw 'im go'in South, likely lost to the marches. There's a mad woman down there, you know."

(No one believes him. Bloody lousy bluff check.)

"Well, I can see when I'm not wanted. Fair hunting." He turns and starts to head into the woods.

Sthalor
2012-06-08, 11:13 AM
"If we see you again, Mister Varikov, try not to insult us by lying so badly," the Old Timer calls out to the retreating dwarf. The breeze around the red paper lantern dies, and its glow dims. "Well, that was odd. Shall we be off then?"

Firebeard
2012-06-08, 11:53 AM
"Indeed. I wonder why he wanted so badly to keep us from the falls, though?" Connor shrugged, adjusted his grip on Fiachtheron and trudged off towards the falls.

stack
2012-06-08, 12:29 PM
The road climbs upward, toward the bridge that spans the river, though a small path runs off to the right, presumably down to the bottom of the falls.

(I hate making you all wait to handle small decision like this, but it matters here.)

Firebeard
2012-06-08, 01:02 PM
"Up or down? It seems that 'beyond the falling water' is better suited to the bottom of the falls, but I am no expert on riddles and lore. My vote i down, unless someone else has any better idea."

Bhaakon
2012-06-08, 05:31 PM
"Down. I just hope the Seer was being literal. It won't take long to check for a cave behind the falls, but searching the land upstream of it could take all day."

Sthalor
2012-06-10, 09:55 PM
The Old Timer sighs, saying, "I have never known a seer to be literal, or helpful. But I suppose it's all we have."

stack
2012-06-11, 08:44 AM
The path winds its way down, growing ever closer to the falls. The roar of the falls drowns out all other sounds as you approach it. A clump of thorny bushes hugs the bottom of the cliff to your left, and beyond it, a narrow path climbs up the cliff toward the falls. A large, black wolf stands on the path like a sentry, and three similar creatures range around the base
of the cliff. They watch you intently before they start baying and howling. Another emerges from around the corner of the path, next to the falls.

Nature DC 16: Dw is a dire wolf, a large predator, but not intelligent. Fights by tripping.

Arcana DC 14: W1-4 are Wargs, magic beasts intelligent enough to coordinate their attacks, known for swarming and tripping foes
Map:plants take double to move through, grant partial concealment, rubble cost double move, cliffs on the side drop WAY down, slippery rocks next to the water require DC15 balance to run or charge, fail by more than 4 and fall

Initiative: Everyone but Connor before the doggies.

(The program doesn't have water tiles ?! so the gray rock is water) http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb438/stack31/falls1.png

DW should take 4 squares.

Firebeard
2012-06-11, 09:11 AM
Hah! a +6 to my init and I always end up going after the monsters:smallfurious:

Sthalor
2012-06-11, 11:11 AM
The Old Timer spins in place, vanishing and reappearing a few feet away from the group. "Stay on your feet!" he calls out, waving his hands in front of him as he begins to cast a spell. A ball of fire bursts into his hands, and he launches it right into the middle of the crowd of beasts, torching them.

Cast Fireball on 2.03, which should hit all of them. DC 20 reflex for half.

Damage [roll0]

stack
2012-06-11, 11:39 AM
(Well, crap.)

The four worgs go down in the burst of flame, flesh blackened and flaking off as they kick the air in their feeble death-throes. The remaining wolf still stands, gravely wounded, just long enough to be dispatched by the others.

(Why did I bother making a map?)

1,200 XP, no loot other than my undying wrath.

Around the corner, the path terminates in a wall of water.

Proceeding on, a musty stench greets you as you emerge from the waterfall into a cave behind it. A sheet of water roars over the mouth of the cave, spraying a fine mist into the air. A brown bear the size of a man stands motionless on its hind legs at the other side of the cave. Deeper in, the cavern widens and rises into a larger cave above and behind this one.

(Any actions before proceeding further into the cave?)

Bhaakon
2012-06-11, 06:01 PM
Finally, an easy one.

"I've never known wolves and bears to den together. I don't suppose you'd like to burn down the taxidermy usine, too, Old One?" Says Salvatore, chucking a rock at the bear just to make sure

stack
2012-06-11, 08:52 PM
The rock bounces off the stuffed bear, falling to the ground with a crack, echoing through the cave.

(I'll presume you search the cave further tomorrow if no one wants to do anything first.)

Bhaakon
2012-06-12, 07:11 AM
"Obviously something smarter than the average bear lives here, so keep an eye out for traps."

Perception roll to find traps in the entrance chamber, include a casting of detect magic and a detect evil scan for good measure:

[roll0]

Stormwind
2012-06-12, 08:49 AM
As they head into the cave, Raven casts a couple of preparatory defensive spells.Defensive preparations:
Mage armor (7hrs)
False life (+[roll0] temp hp; 7 hrs)

When Salvatore throws a rock at the stuffed bear, Raven looks suspiciously behind, towards the cave entrance, and she continues to keep a careful watch in that direction.Keeping a watch on the cave entrance - Erin and Morganna each use move action per round (roll as necessary)
Perception: 1d20+10 (Erin)
Perception: 1d20+12 (Morganna)
Detect evil (Morganna)

Sthalor
2012-06-12, 08:58 PM
The Old Timer will walk next to Erin, casting a spell on himself as she casts hers. He walks slowly, carefully making his way along behind the larger and less vulnerable members of his group.

Cast Protection from Evil. +2 deflection and +2 to saves against anything evil.

stack
2012-06-13, 08:08 AM
A shot echoes through the cave, leaving your ears ringing, the flash coming from the depths, lead ball burying into Connor's shoulderfollowed by a voice, familiar from your recent talk, Varikov the dwarf. "Yea shouldn't ah come here. I warned yea away, did what I was bid. But now yea be added to my collection instead."

The shot fired, the cave returns to its blackness.

Connor: 10 damage

Map:http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb438/stack31/cave1.png

The statues are various mounted creatures, as labeled. I presume you all have light sources to see close-up stuff, OT's darkvision lets him see the whole cave. Please note your paths when you move. The wooden floor is a rope bridge over a chasm.

Initiative:Salvatore Legatus [roll0]
Connor Halfhand [roll1]
Old Timer [roll2]
Erin Brujah [roll3]

Varikov [roll4]

Salvator:you don't see any magic or find any traps in the entry area. There may be others and you are too far away or you may have missed them.

Firebeard
2012-06-13, 08:14 AM
"A little light might be helpful."

Bhaakon
2012-06-13, 05:19 PM
Salvatore agree wholeheartedly, casting a light spell on the arrow knocked in Connor's bow. "You remember where the shot came from, right?" His spell cast, he begins feeling his way along the wall to find cover.

standard for the spell, move to 12.11 along the wall

Stormwind
2012-06-14, 04:35 AM
The small sprite on Raven's shoulder begins to glow brighter until the illumination reveals a large area of the cave up to the edge of the chasm,
Morganna uses her Luminous (Su) ability to shed light like a torch.

Raven then comments with a wry grin, "Lets enlighten him as to his situation"
Cast Glitterdust at the location of the flash in the depths of the cave (Glitterdust: 170ft range, 10ft radius effect, Will DC18 or blind for up to 7 rounds, all within area is covered by the luminous dust for 7 rounds)

Assuming LoS is not strictly necessary, I figure you should place the center of the effect somewhere within 5ft of the location of the flash due to Erin's uncertainty (here's a ranged touch to 'hit' the right square: [roll0] if that would be appropriate)
If LoS is necessary, then Erin will instead ready an action to cast glitterdust as soon as Varikov is visible.

stack
2012-06-14, 02:27 PM
(I always foget NOT to wait for poeple who can't go due to initiative. :smallredface:)

Connor's bow glows brightly, as does Morganna

A curse comes from deep in the cave , shiny motes reflecting the small amount of light reaching that far, followed by the sounds of a ram-rod being driven down a barrel.

(I would do circles showing sight radius, but its too much of a pain in this program.)

The wolf slinks into view, darting across the bridge and taking position just inside your light's radius.
(Dim light, so 20% miss unless a light gets closer)

Map:http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb438/stack31/cave2.png

Firebeard
2012-06-14, 02:52 PM
Connor stepped forward and lined up the glowing arrow on the wolf. He quickly released the shaft and pulled another pair of arrows. Each one followed the glowing trail of the first. The glow of the initial arrow lit up the wolf as clear as day, and made the following shots that much easier.

5' step towards the wolf. PBS, RS, DA.

First arrow will put wolf in bright illumination, hit or miss, so I will only roll miss chance for first attack, high hits.

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]
hit [roll]1d100[/hit] 82, as seen in the OOC thread

attack [roll2]
damage [roll3]

attack [roll4]
damage [roll5]

Stormwind
2012-06-14, 06:27 PM
Raven moves to stand next to Salvatore and then she casts a spell, her expression one of concentration, when suddenly her hair takes a life of its own and extends outwards, and outwards, and outwards, ... to envelop the wolf in its magical strands.
Move to (13,11)
Cast Strangling hair (CMB to grapple @ 40ft: [roll0], damage [roll1] constrict)
(Since Conner has already fired the light at the wolf, I guess no miss chance)

Sthalor
2012-06-14, 09:37 PM
The Old Timer edges forward, his eyes easily accustomed to the dark cave. He begins chanting softly, moving his hands quickly. He thrusts an arm toward the dwarf, and a small explosion brings forth a being made of pure fire. The creature quickly lashes out, attempting to strike the gunslinging hunter.

5 ft step to 15.12, Summon Monster IV one medium fire elemental at 2.02, it attacks. I assume it sheds light like a torch.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
DC 14 reflex save or catch on fire, and take [roll2] fire damage.

Bhaakon
2012-06-15, 06:21 PM
Sorry, I could have sworn I checked this thread yesterday.

With the dwarf brightly lit by the Old Timer's elemental, Salvatore springs away from the wall and take the first clear shot.

Move to 11.07 (11.10 and then move straight north). Standard to attack VA (my counting and Pythagoras agree that it's 55', so 2 range increments), swift to activate bane vs humanoid (dwarf)

[roll0] -2 for range, +2 bane
[roll1] [roll2] fire [roll3] bane

stack
2012-06-18, 08:25 AM
Connor plants a single, glowing, arrow in the wolf, who starts to move to Salvatore, but is restrained by eldritch hair. He struggles against it, but is unable to break free.

Old Timer's conjured elemental singes the blinded dwarf, who is unable to rub the dust from his eyes, though he manages to avoid his gear catching fire. He blindly fires, missing the elemental entirely, shot ricocheting off the wall, joined by Salvatore's miss.

Map:http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb438/stack31/cave3.png

I suspect this isn't going to be a tough as it's supposed to be.

Firebeard
2012-06-18, 08:49 AM
I suspect this isn't going to be a tough as it's supposed to be.

Glitterdust tends to have that effect

Connor moved towards the illuminated wolf, pulling another trio of shafts. The first two sped away as one, while the third was not far behind.

5' step towards the wolf, angling to get clear of Salvatore. PBS, RS, DA.

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

attack [roll2]
damage [roll3]

attack [roll4]
damage [roll5]

stack
2012-06-18, 08:56 AM
Farkash falls bleeding as Connor's arrows pierce though Erin's hair.

Stormwind
2012-06-18, 09:59 AM
The small raven-haired woman moves forward, taking cover by the cave wall alongside the chasm, whilst her eldritch hair continues its assault on the limp wolf in its grasp.
Move to (08,08)
Continue concentration on her strangling hair spell [CMB: [roll0], [roll1] constrict damage - if applicable to the poor wolf] (standard action)
(6 rounds remaining on strangling hair so long as Erin concentrates)

Note- Erin has to maintain concentration on the spell (standard action), and changing the spells target requires an additional move action, so since she's lacking an additional move action at this point, she'll just have to wait a round before her hair can have a go at the dwarf :smallwink:

Bhaakon
2012-06-18, 06:06 PM
Salvatore steps past the downed wolf, doing his best not to trod on Raven's hair as he reloads and fire again.

Not going to waste banes rounds. Move to 09.06 (2 squares left, one diagonal).

A:[roll0] -4 for range
D: [roll1] [roll2] fire

Sthalor
2012-06-18, 11:05 PM
The Old Timer blinks out and back into existence next to Erin, lazily waving his hand as four spheres of light suddenly appear in the middle of the cavern, illuminating it completely. The Elemental steps forward, slashing at the blind dwarf with its arm again.

Old Timer school power teleports to 14.10 and casts Dancing Lights to make four spheres of light that shine like torches. Line them up 10ft apart down the middle of the cavern.

Elemental 5 ft. steps to 2.03 and attacks.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

stack
2012-06-19, 07:33 AM
(I should have heavily re-built this encounter. +0 will save? Really?)

The sightless, enraged dwarf draws his axe and starts laying about blindly. Bullets, arrows, spells, and, uhm, hair, dispatch him before he can become a real threat.

800 XP ea.

Loot:+2 chain shirt,
+1 dwarven waraxe,
masterwork hand axe,
MW musket with 50 alchemical cartridges (unusual in these parts),
necklace of human and animal teeth

Upon further investigation, the mounted werewolf actually appears to be pieced together from wolf and human remains. Some recall that actual werewolves revert to their mundane form when killed.

Another gruesome piece of taxidermy is a young man, clad in armor and holding a sword high. On his finger is a finely crafted wedding ring, matching the description given to Erin.

Firebeard
2012-06-19, 08:11 AM
"I knew something was wrong with that dwarf, but this..." Connor trailed off as he looked at the young man. "Is this the man you were looking for, Erin? It seems the hunter did indeed become the prey. What foul creature would do this? We'd better get him down and give him a proper burial."

Hooray for loot! I don't think Connor needs any of it, but it's always nice to have.

Stormwind
2012-06-19, 09:55 AM
Another gruesome piece of taxidermy is a young man, clad in armor and holding a sword high. On his finger is a finely crafted wedding ring, matching the description given to Erin.
Erin sighs as she sees the wedding ring on the dead man's finger. carefully sliding the ring off and placing it into her pouch, she nods to Connor, "Yes, a simple burial would be good, if we can spare the time." She glances over at the stuffed 'werewolf' and nods towards it "Him too, if for no more than basic decency".

She pauses as she considers the mans remains, and asks "Do you think we could get his body back to town to bury in the village graveyard? It would give his wife a place to visit should she choose to come."

How heavy is the 'body' of master Maugren?

Firebeard
2012-06-19, 10:19 AM
Connor sighed. "I thought as much. Well, it wouldn't be the first time I've hauled a body back to town. This poor creature...creatures? We should be able to bury him here outside the cave, I imagine."

stack
2012-06-19, 10:39 AM
(He's a healthy-sized, strong, and full grown man. let's say 210 lbs. Going back to town now might make you late for your appointment, though.)

Sthalor
2012-06-19, 11:11 AM
The Old Timer shrugs after slowly ambling up to the others. His fire elemental blinks out of existence, and the wizard waves his hand to light the rest of the cavern with Dancing Lights. "This is probably something that could wait. I doubt anyone will come by here before tomorrow. We can come back and get them then. For now, we might want to keep moving."

Stormwind
2012-06-19, 02:57 PM
Raven nods at the Old Timer's comment, "You're right, the bodies will keep well enough here until we've finished our business on the hill tonight", then she comments, almost as an afterthought, "Although I'd like to know what he meant earlier as to whose bidding he was doing, and what exactly it was that he was bid to do."

Bhaakon
2012-06-19, 06:02 PM
I'll use the +2 chain shirt, at least until we decide to sell it. The ammo and musket as well.

Salvatore looks over the mounted man, mutter a quick prayer. "It's certainly not a proper burial, but I doubt we'll have to worry about him coming back."

He keeps the rest of this thought to himself, if the dwarf knew his business, there won't be anything here but the skin.

stack
2012-06-20, 12:08 PM
(Sounds like you are done here. Anything before going to the hill? If you went directly you would arrive well before midnight.)

Sthalor
2012-06-20, 12:45 PM
I'm good to go to the hill.

Bhaakon
2012-06-20, 04:13 PM
To the hill!

stack
2012-06-21, 09:18 AM
The hill proves a more challenging goal than it appeared on the map, the uneven ground slowly travel as you try to pick a path up the steepening slope. The sun has started to duck behind the mountains as the ruins com into view.

An eery whisper starts to tug at the edges of your mind, calling you off the path into the deeper wood, the source as yet unseen.

Bhaakon
2012-06-22, 07:26 PM
"You hear that?" Savatore asks. "Sounds like it's just off the path..."

Firebeard
2012-06-22, 09:15 PM
"Stay on the path, you dozy dobbit!" Connor said with a smile. "Ain't you never heard the stories of people that left the path because of singing voices? "

Sthalor
2012-06-22, 11:24 PM
The Old Timer pauses for a moment to catch his breath, and grab the stitch in his side. "I was always... fond... of those stories... as a child..." he gasps, straightening up. He clears his throat before continuing, "Folk wander off into the forest... never to be seen again. The usual drivel, but still, it managed to capture my imagination." With a huff, the half orc continues up the hill.

stack
2012-06-25, 07:44 AM
The sounds grows steadily closer, just ahead and to the left. It's source should be in sight soon.

Bhaakon
2012-06-25, 09:41 AM
Salvatore raises a hand to halt the others. "Maybe I should scout ahead," he whispers, "see what we're up against instead of stumbling headlong into an ambush for a change."

If there are no objections, he does his best to get a quiet peek at whatever is making the odd whispers.

stealth: [roll0]
perception: [roll1]

stack
2012-06-25, 10:38 AM
Salvator creeps forward, moving quietly through the ferns and brush on the side of the path. Salvatore: You notice squirrels and other small animal fleeing past you, leaving your destination with some speed. Not 50' ahead and just inside the tree-line, you take sight of the sound's source. As you draw near, a hideous mass of glowing spirits, like a roiling cloud of pale mist bearing dozens of silently screaming faces, rises up from the ground. The tortured expressions of the faces in the mist speak of undying torment and mind-numbing terror. Their agonized eyes fix on you despite the darkness.

Know religion DC 21 it is a caller in the darkness, a cloud of tormented souls that destroys the minds of others and adds them to itself.It has a variety of mind-effecting powers.

Initiative: Salvatore Legatus [roll0]
CitD [roll1]

Bhaakon
2012-06-25, 08:23 PM
Salvatore's shout cuts through the surreal whispering, "I've been spotted, prepare yourselves!"

After his shouted warning, the inquisitor hurriedly casts a spell to hide his presence. Now masked by magical invisibility, he begins withdrawing towards the group.

First shout the warning, then standard to cast invisibility, then move action to retreat at half speed (no stealth penalty)

stealth check if needed: [roll0] +20 for moving while invisible

Firebeard
2012-06-26, 07:23 AM
At Salvatore's cry, Connor readies his bow and begins searching the area that Salvatore disappeared off into for signs of an evil presence.

Detect Evil

stack
2012-06-26, 08:15 AM
Salvatore's warning rings out as he slinks into the darkness. Unfortunately for him, the creature follows unerringly, quickly closing as it drifts with deceptive speed. It's ghostly tendrils reach out, passing just over the inquisitor's head.

Salvatore:you are still 35' from the others

Others:Salvatore's voice came from about 50' away.

Edit - Detect Evil strongly evil

Firebeard
2012-06-26, 08:53 AM
"Incoming, and its definitely evil. Get ready."

Readied action to cast Litany of Righteousness (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/l/litany-of-righteousness) at the creature as soon as it appears.

stack
2012-06-26, 09:03 AM
Firebeard:That spell is a swift action with a 1 round duration. Wouldn't it expire at teh stat of your next turn? Why not wait until you can full-attack and get the full benefit?

Firebeard
2012-06-26, 09:19 AM
@stack
Guess I should read my spell descriptions more carefully. Yeah, hold of on that spell. I may not even cast it at all, not if this thing is what I think it is.

Stormwind
2012-06-26, 09:37 AM
As Salvatore's warning rings out, Raven's black hair again seems to gain a life of its own as it elongates, almost as if it were alive.
Activate prehensile hair (standard action; 7 minute duration)

Bhaakon
2012-06-26, 04:03 PM
Realizing that the thing can see through his illusion, Salvatore gives up all pretense of stealth and just hustles back to the group, drawing his pistol as he moves. Once he's close to the others, he whips around and fires at the monster.

move 30' back to the group, attack with deadly aim

[roll0] +1 more if it's within 30 feet
[roll1] +1 more if within 30', +1 more if it's undead [roll2] fire

Sthalor
2012-06-26, 08:58 PM
The Old Timer launches a familiar spongy ball of fire right at the creature, hoping to burn it before it can reach them.

Cast Flaming Sphere on the Caller, DC 19 reflex or take [roll0] fire damage.

Kn. Religion:[roll1]

stack
2012-06-27, 07:31 AM
Salvator crashes through the brush before turning to fire. His shot burns through the cloud of screaming faces, the hole quickly filled by ethereal mass. Old Timer's flame fares little better, the amorphous mass flowing around his fiery attack.

(Connor and Erin can act. Target is ~20' away, partial cover)

Stormwind
2012-06-27, 12:55 PM
As the creature approaches, Erin's hair, with a life of its own, seems to reach out towards the ghostlike creature.
Ready an action (to use Healing hex via her hair if the creature approaches within 10ft range): [roll0] ranged touch, damage: [roll1] positive energy (DC19 Will save for half)
(This assumes it is undead - otherwise I guess she'd be healing it ...)

Firebeard
2012-06-28, 07:13 AM
Connor launched a trio of arrows at the creature, wondering if they would do any good. The shafts sped off towards the thing, and Connor wondered what it could be.

K. religion [roll0]

attack [roll1], before cover
damage [roll2]

attack [roll3], before cover
damage [roll4]

attack [roll5], before cover
damage [roll6]

stack
2012-06-28, 07:16 AM
The mass shivers and pulses, emitting a strange hum, but moving no closer.

Salvatore: For a moment it seems as though you have always been fighting this creature. It haunts your every memory, its ghostly faces leer from every thought. Can there be any escape?

(Also 45 damage, Will save 16 for half)

Know Arcana DC 16: It used the psionic power mind thrust. The 3.5 save for half version.

All are about 50' from monster, it has partial cover.

Bhaakon
2012-06-28, 08:20 AM
"No, no, not again. Not this time. You won't take me this time." Salvatore shouts incoherently as he jumbles through a spell. A dagger of spiritual force folds it way into existence a few feet from the creature and dives in.

Swift action to activate purity judgement (+2 to all saves). Standard action to cast spiritual weapon (]http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/spiritual-weapon), manifesting adjacent to the creature and attack.

attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1] force damage (full effect against incorporeal and pierces all DR).

crit: [roll2]
crit: [roll3]

Stormwind
2012-06-29, 06:29 PM
On Raven's shoulder, Morganna points the staff-like wand in a two-handed grip towards the ghostly creature as she attempts to activate it.
UMD check (to activate wand): [roll0] vs DC20

If the UMD check succeeds then
Magic missile damage: [roll1]

At the same time, Raven moves slightly closer to the creature, and holding a rod of metal, she channels magic through the rod towards the creature.
Move 10ft forward (so there is 40ft between her and the creature) and draw metamagic rod of reach spell.
(If she can't draw and cast this round, then she'll just draw the rod)
Cast Cure moderate wounds via the rod of reach spell: [roll2] ranged touch, damage: [roll3] positive energy (DC18 will save for half)

Sthalor
2012-06-30, 01:38 AM
Winking in and out of existence for a moment, the Old Timer reappears further from the ghosts. He waves his arms, pulling the sphere along with the spirit.

Teleportation school power to teleport 15ft away from the Caller. Move action to move Flaming Sphere to the Caller's square. DC 19 Reflex or [roll0] damage.

Firebeard
2012-06-30, 12:02 PM
Connor sends another volley at the creature, not knowing if his first round even hit the thing, or simply passed right through.

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

attack [roll2]
damage [roll3]

attack [roll4]
damage [roll5]

stack
2012-07-02, 09:32 AM
Salvator's shot rips through the cloud again, the maddening screams rising in tone.

Morganna watches the wand do nothing, despite her best efforts. Erin's spell is also less effective than she thought, the cloud resisting the positive energy. (Made save)

The flaming ball, however, flies true, evaporating a corner of the mass, joined by a trio of Connors arrows. The cloud wavers, starting to lose its already ethereal cohesion.

Salvatore, Old Timer, and Erin: A terrible certainty fills your mind—there is a much greater threat than this creature you now face, and it lurks somewhere ahead down the road. You feel an inescapable need to search for a means to reach this threat before it arises and devours you. Your allies can handle the monster that stands before you. Will Save DC 14:suggestion, you travel ahead to the ruins and look for the threat there.

Sthalor
2012-07-02, 11:08 AM
The Old Timer's gruff demeanor suddenly fails and his face and body go slack. He begins to walk towards the ruins, muttering, "Something... there..."

Firebeard
2012-07-02, 12:01 PM
"Old Timer, get back here!" shouted Connor as he pulled another trio of arrows. "Everyone guard your minds! Old Timer, you hear me? Guard your mind!" More arrows slashed out at the creature, diving through the air.

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

attack [roll2]
damage [roll3]

attack [roll4]
damage [roll5]

stack
2012-07-02, 12:21 PM
Connor's arrows tear through the cloud again, its terrible screams rending the night as it fades from view, The darkening night become suddenly peaceful, the continuous undercurrent of maddening babble silenced. Old Timer (and anyone else who misses their save) still wanders off toward the ruins.

1200 XP ea. No loot.

Firebeard
2012-07-02, 12:31 PM
Connor smiled as the cloud dissipated, then set off to corral his companions before retrieving his arrows.

Stormwind
2012-07-02, 01:47 PM
As the scarred Old Timer mumbles something and walks off, Raven frowns and mutters a quick cantrip. Detecting an additional aura on him as she keeps pace, she calls out "Old Timer, you are ensorcelled. Take a moment and you can verify the truth of my words yourself"I dunno if this would allow him another save, but I figured it was a good thing to try IC ... :smallsmile:

stack
2012-07-02, 02:21 PM
(I don't see anything in the spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/suggestion)that allows for a new save. Obviously harmful requests negate it, but otherwise it seems to run its course.)

Bhaakon
2012-07-02, 05:40 PM
With that... thing dispersed, Salvatore fishes his healing wand out of his pack and puts it work, unsure if it would even work. Whatever the creature had done to him left no wounds, but an unbelievable headache and hands almost too weak to grip his pistol.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4] edit: 5 charges
[roll5]

taking them until I hit 22 healing.

Once finished, he follow the sound of Raven's arguments to find her vainly trying to divert the Old Time. "Whatever created that thing must have been unimaginably malevolent." He shudders, recalling the thoughts it bestowed upon him. "Even it is leading us into a trap, it's worth the risk to try and find its source."

Sthalor
2012-07-02, 11:16 PM
The Old Timer continues to shuffle towards the ruins, his lantern glowing brightly, strobing in the dark.

stack
2012-07-03, 02:45 PM
Old TImer (and those who choose to follow him) can soon hear the steady rhythm of ritual chanting, strange light dancing from the ruins that soon come into view. The burned-out tower is a husk of a building, with only three portions of its tall outer wall still reaching some 20 feet off the ground. Within their
bounds, shorter stone walls, about 10 feet high, delineate the chambers of the ancient site, while piles of rubble choke much of the open space. Among the ruins, several fi gures shrouded in dark cloaks stand around a bonfire blazing with unearthly green fi re. A many-pointed star is traced on the ground with glowing green powder.

Around the circle are seven forms, human or close enough, male and female, one of them an old woman. A shape is growing in the circles center, a humanoid shape, form coalescing from swirling energy, growing slowly but visibly.

You have not (yet) been noticed. Old Timer Continues on.

Map:http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/Ravenloft_Maps/100590.jpg

Z is the old woman. Disregard the "S"s.

Dense Rubble: It costs 2 squares of movement to enter these squares. The DC of acrobatics checks increases by 5, and the DC of Stealth checks increases by 2.

Thick Stone Walls: These massive stone walls are 5 feet thick and range between 15 and 20 feet high. A character can climb the walls (Climb DC 25) and walk along the top, at a cost of 2 squares of movement to enter each square.

Interior Walls: Crumbling masonry walls (Climb DC 18, 1 ft. thick, break DC 32, hardness 8, 90 hp) surround what were once interior chambers of the tower. The walls reach about 10 feet off the ground, but no roof remains to cover these spaces. As a result, these areas are only slightly more sheltered than the courtyard areas outside, still cluttered with rubble.

(I got lazy. There will be a proper map if a fight breaks out.)

Know Arcana DC 25 or Religion DC 20:Sacred Circle: A tiny remnant of Ecaterina’s holy power remains in the tower grounds in the form of this sacred circle, though it no longer distinguishes between holy and unholy. Any creature standing within the circle gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls, and attacks made from within the circle are considered magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction or harming incorporeal creatures.

Firebeard
2012-07-03, 03:13 PM
Connor trotted ahead and grabbed the Old Timer by the arm, hard enough to pinch. "Slow down, neighbor. Let's not be hasty. I get the feeling that our presence might not be welcome here. So, let's not give it away too easily."

K. Religion [roll0]

Stormwind
2012-07-03, 03:36 PM
Her attention temporaily captured by the activities within the ruins, Erin fails to notice that Old Timer continues onwards. Instead her mind focuses on the activities within the circle.Lets see whether Erin knows anything:
Knowledge(arcane):
Knowledge(religion): [rollB]1d20+9 (Correction: (1d20+9)[28 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13494628&postcount=510)])

Bhaakon
2012-07-03, 04:58 PM
"I don't know what they're summoning, but I'd rather not allow them to finish." Says Salvatore, drawing his weapon.

I don't really want to attack outright, since we don't really know what they're doing, but I think we ought to disrupt it somehow.

Firebeard
2012-07-09, 07:28 AM
"Neither do I. Do we make it sporting and give them the chance to surrender?"

Sthalor
2012-07-09, 09:38 AM
"Do you honestly think they would surrender?" The Old Timer chuckles, having finally snapped out of his trance.

Firebeard
2012-07-09, 10:18 AM
Trying to fix the postings

Bhaakon
2012-07-11, 05:50 AM
Salvatore rubs his temple, his brain still throbing from the previous battle. "No. It's plain as day that they're up to no good, and that... thing that sent us here seemed to have been spawned by their activities. I've a better idea, let me cloak you and the Old Timer in invisibility, then we'll take up positions around them and attack in unison."

If there's no objections, I'll cast invisibility on Connor and Old Timer, then employ the fireball/volley attack discussed OOC. I can sneak up w/o magical aide (hopefully), but I'm not sure where Raven fits in. Maybe she should hang back until the battle starts

Firebeard
2012-07-11, 08:04 AM
"Finally, now there's a plan."

In DC for the next 2 days, so here's an attack roll set, just in case.

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

attack [roll2]
damage [roll3]

attack [roll4]
damage [roll5]

stack
2012-07-11, 08:18 AM
Map:http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb438/stack31/summoning0.png

Place yourselves (outer edges, not inside the ruins unless your action is to move) and take surprise round actions (after casting invisibility, etc, presuming you move to a safe distance to do that).

Bhaakon
2012-07-12, 04:52 AM
Cast invisibility on Connor and Old Timer, then cast expeditious retreat on myself and move to 07.13 w/ stealth: [roll0]

Sthalor
2012-07-12, 06:41 PM
Cast Fly on self and move up to 4.07, assuming that's the wall. If not, the nearest wall square to that. If you need a stealth check, [roll0].

Firebeard
2012-07-16, 09:17 AM

Rapidshot, DA @w5 [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Rapidshot, DA @w5 [roll2]
damage [roll3]