PDA

View Full Version : Samurai in Pathfinder?

Bearpunch
2012-01-17, 02:03 PM
So apparently there is a samurai in Pathfinder, which I am very new to. I am aware of the Samurais status in 3.5, and wondering if the samurai fares any better in Pathfinder?

Tebryn
2012-01-17, 02:05 PM
Nevermind. They're under "Alternate Classes" based off the Cavalier. They'd be pretty solid in that case.

deuxhero
2012-01-17, 02:09 PM
It's on the SRD

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/alternate-classes/samurai

It's just under "alternate classes' as it is a Cavalier variant.

Feralventas
2012-01-17, 02:51 PM
So apparently there is a samurai in Pathfinder, which I am very new to. I am aware of the Samurais status in 3.5, and wondering if the samurai fares any better in Pathfinder?

A basic analysis of the Samurai in PF is that while it is leagues ahead of the Complete Warrior samurai and certainly better than the Oriental Adventures version, it is still a fighting class in a system that favors 'casters. That said, it can be a solid mounted combatant, can hold a single target's attention, provide buffs and support to the party members in the area, and can manage a very effective combatant in a low-magic or low-mage-population game. Similar to the Gunslinger or Barbarian, the Samurai can work well and has its place in the game and on the field, but the lack of utility and mobility beyond the ground will be the main detriments. Boosting or at least not Dumping intelligence will give you some skill points to work with on the mundane side of things, and Leadership would possibly also help in giving you a second character (Cohort, squire, apprentice, etc) to work with.

I don't have UC to look at right now, but it might be worth the time to check out the various Cavalier options to see if those will suit your needs better since the Samurai functions as a variant to the Cavalier. Additionally, decide whether you want to aim for Mounted Combat as an archer or charger, or if you'd rather approach from the perspective of a druid's companion and having another partner on the battlefield to flank and support you.

SamBurke
2012-01-17, 03:32 PM

SO MUCH BETTER than 3.5.

However, that said, it's a strictly weaker class than, say, Paladin. It does have its place, and it can outdo other classes in what it does.

Blisstake
2012-01-17, 04:09 PM
Well, it would need to get some kind of metal if it could perform worse than the CW Samurai. That would be truly impressive.

Anyway, I find they make a decent replacement for classes like Fighter, Barbarian, and Paladin, but they, of course, don't have the incredible utility of a primary spellcaster.

I think they fit pretty nicely in a balanced group or low-optimization group.