PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Magus Arcane Pool Activation

CreganTur
2012-01-17, 04:28 PM
Got a little rules question that I want to be able to clear up for my DM. For the Magus it says that you can you Arcane Pool as a swift action to apply a magical effect to a weapon.

My character is lvl 5, so I can add enhancements to my +1 Longsword. My question is this- if I use the pool to add Flaming to the longsword, does it instantly burst into flames (my interpretation) or do I have to activate the enhancement via a standard action as per normal activation rules of a magic weapon (my DM's interpretation)?

Manateee
2012-01-17, 04:35 PM
I don't see anything to indicate your DM's wrong.
But that really kills an otherwise fun ability.

Curious
2012-01-17, 04:36 PM
Got a little rules question that I want to be able to clear up for my DM. For the Magus it says that you can you Arcane Pool as a swift action to apply a magical effect to a weapon.

My character is lvl 5, so I can add enhancements to my +1 Longsword. My question is this- if I use the pool to add Flaming to the longsword, does it instantly burst into flames (my interpretation) or do I have to activate the enhancement via a standard action as per normal activation rules of a magic weapon (my DM's interpretation)?

The ability says, 'expend 1 point from his arcane pool as a swift action to grant any weapon he is holding a +1 enhancement bonus for 1 minute'. Pretty open and shut; it says add it as a swift action, so it's a swift action.

Manateee
2012-01-17, 04:41 PM
The ability says, 'expend 1 point from his arcane pool as a swift action to grant any weapon he is holding a +1 enhancement bonus for 1 minute'. Pretty open and shut; it says add it as a swift action, so it's a swift action.
A swift action activates Arcane Pool.
Arcane Pool applies the eg. Flaming ability to a weapon.
Using the Flaming ability to deal an extra 1d6 requires a command word.
Activating that command word is a standard action.
In total 1 swift + 1 standard for a crummy minute-duration buff.

Curious
2012-01-17, 04:49 PM
A swift action activates Arcane Pool.
Arcane Pool applies the eg. Flaming ability to a weapon.
Using the Flaming ability to deal an extra 1d6 requires a command word.
Activating that command word is a standard action.
In total 1 swift + 1 standard for a crummy minute-duration buff.

You got it wrong at step two. You apply the flaming ability to the weapon for one minute. The end. It is now flaming.

EDIT: Actually, upon re-reading the entry, it looks like it just applies the ability to the weapon, and doesn't activate it. Sh*tty.

Blisstake
2012-01-17, 05:00 PM
RAW it requires a standard action.

I'm fairly certain that wasn't intended, and I think there was even a magus NPC whose tactics suggested that it only takes a swift action.

CreganTur
2012-01-18, 08:53 AM
I'm thinking this is a case where RAW don't support the intended spirit of the power. I'm imagining that they mean for a swift action to immediately give you a useable enchantment but didn't think to define it in the rules.

I'll just have a conversation with my DM and see if we can work something out.

Keneth
2012-01-18, 09:14 AM
Actually, RAW doesn't say anywhere what the original state of the weapon is. Yes, it's a standard action to activate and deactivate but there's nothing that indicates that it doesn't manifest already activated. So neither of you is wrong but in the spirit of the ability, your DM should be gently persuaded that this is how it was intended. It's not like giving you +3.5 fire damage for one round is gonna break his encounter.

Blisstake
2012-01-18, 02:15 PM
It's not even free, it uses the arcane pool.