PDA

View Full Version : Warforged/VoP question

PrinceOfThieves
2012-01-17, 05:03 PM
This idea is broken as all get out but I need a general opinion. It states in the ECS that warforged can be enchanted as armor. So if I'm a say, warforged wizard with VoP, would it be considered against the rules if I enchanted myself with spells & special abilities. Or, if I have a artificer friend who can enchant me, if I assist him, if you would like another scenario.

Campbellk8105
2012-01-17, 06:50 PM
I don't really see anything wrong, other than someone with VoP, IMO, wouldnt get themselves enchanted. I suppose it'd be how the characters personality is.

Personally, if I was the DM, I would not allow it solely off that VoP to me means you're giving up everything, (Aside from what VoP actually let's you have,) whether or not you could enchant yourself.

gkathellar
2012-01-17, 06:53 PM
I'm not certain if it's allowed, but if it is it's not broken-powerful by any means, on account of including VoP.

CIDE
2012-01-17, 06:57 PM
I would see it be a problem if the enchantment required money to be spent.

tyckspoon
2012-01-17, 07:09 PM
I think that one might actually loophole through the exact letter of the Poverty rules, thanks to the somewhat odd status of Composite Plating as not-an-item. If you enchanted yourself, you'd have to spend pretty crazy amounts of XP to do it via the GP cost -> XP cost substitution (assuming this was allowed, as the book only specifies this substitution for expensive material components in spells.) Actually paying the GP cost would involve taking ownership and using wealth for your own gain, which is clearly not allowed by the Vow. I think it also works if you can convince somebody else to pay the crafting costs for you, as I can't find a restriction against anybody using non-magical wealth on your behalf... just so long as you don't attempt to claim you "donated" your share of treasure to the crafter, which he then used to enchant you.

Shadowleaf
2012-01-17, 07:15 PM
I think that one might actually loophole through the exact letter of the Poverty rules, thanks to the somewhat odd status of Composite Plating as not-an-item. If you enchanted yourself, you'd have to spend pretty crazy amounts of XP to do it via the GP cost -> XP cost substitution (assuming this was allowed, as the book only specifies this substitution for expensive material components in spells.) Actually paying the GP cost would involve taking ownership and using wealth for your own gain, which is clearly not allowed by the Vow. I think it also works if you can convince somebody else to pay the crafting costs for you, as I can't find a restriction against anybody using non-magical wealth on your behalf... just so long as you don't attempt to claim you "donated" your share of treasure to the crafter, which he then used to enchant you.Just don't take your share of the loot, and have your group enchant you in your sleep conveniently long stunned duration due to them being fed up with your low AC. :smallbiggrin:

Akto
2012-01-17, 07:22 PM
What if (presuming higher lvl) that a warforged had gotten it enchanted before getting the VoP feat, that should be doable, right?

panaikhan
2012-01-18, 08:16 AM
IMHO, this would be breaking the vow.
If your only intention after taking the vow is finding a way around it, you're aiming in the wrong direction.

Greenish
2012-01-18, 08:21 AM
Just don't take your share of the loot, and have your group enchant you in your sleep conveniently long stunned duration due to them being fed up with your low AC. :smallbiggrin:Doesn't VoP specify that you have to take your share of loot?

Pilo
2012-01-18, 10:46 AM
It states you can carry your part of the loot until you find someone in need to give her that money.

So she could be killed and robbed by one of your selfish heartless teamate.

Mystify
2012-01-18, 02:24 PM
It states you can carry your part of the loot until you find someone in need to give her that money.

So she could be killed and robbed by one of your selfish heartless teamate.

Hmm. That gives me a (cheesy) idea.
Have a character take vow of poverty. Another person has the spell to re-write people's memories. before the group gets back to town, they knock out the VoP, drag them to the hotel room, and give them false memories of donating the money to people while the rest of the group splits the gold.
A canny DM could knock out the Vow because the person is not truly fulfilling their spiritual requirements, but that is punishing the victim.
If you were a DM, how would you handle that situation?

Greenish
2012-01-18, 02:27 PM
If you were a DM, how would you handle that situation?Rolled-up newspaper.

Though if that's the MO of the group, you could hint to the player with VoP that they're not exactly the sort of company Exalted characters should keep.

Mystify
2012-01-18, 02:32 PM
Rolled-up newspaper.

Though if that's the MO of the group, you could hint to the player with VoP that they're not exactly the sort of company Exalted characters should keep.
That is a good point. Unless they are hiding their evil deeds from them, and adventure with them as another combatant who doesn't absorb a share of the loot. Though at that point, you could try to maneuver things to reveal the parties nature to the VoP.

Prime32
2012-01-18, 07:17 PM
What if (presuming higher lvl) that a warforged had gotten it enchanted before getting the VoP feat, that should be doable, right?Don't forget to get grafts too. All the grafts. :smalltongue:

PrinceOfThieves
2012-01-18, 08:11 PM
Here's how the situation works in game. This is a Pathfinder game. The warforged is in a party with a cleric of his faith who possesses the necessary item creation feats. The warforged donates all shares of his treasure to his faith, who in turn give the cleric companion the funds to make his companion/bodyguard more efficient in his role. Keep in mind the Pathfinder magic item creation rules only require gold & time, not xp.

DonutBoy12321
2012-01-18, 09:31 PM
Don't forget to get grafts too. All the grafts. :smalltongue:

And while we're going that route, get enchanted, take grafts, and go Incarnate, using Chakra Binds so you can use those wasted item slots.

Haron
2012-01-19, 07:28 AM
Here's how the situation works in game. This is a Pathfinder game.

You're aware that there's a new version of the Vow of Poverty in Pathfinder, and that it might not be in unison on what you're planning to do, right?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/monk-vows/vow-of-poverty

Mystify
2012-01-19, 10:18 AM
You're aware that there's a new version of the Vow of Poverty in Pathfinder, and that it might not be in unison on what you're planning to do, right?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/monk-vows/vow-of-poverty

I would not recommend using that, it is absolutely pathetic. Seriously, you give up ALL the magic items and you get... a few extra ki points? The original VoP is considered underpowered, that is just pointless.