PDA

View Full Version : Persistable Cleric Partybuff spells

GoodbyeSoberDay
2012-01-17, 06:02 PM
Hi Playground,
Suppose you're trying to make a team-friendly DMM Cleric who wants to focus on party buffs. What are good persistable buffs for all levels? So far I have the following:

Mass Lesser Vigor/Vigorous Circle
Righteous Wrath of the Faithful
Recitation
Blessing of the Righteous (it's eh, but better than nothing)

Auras are... okay, but given the more "casty" focus of such a support character radius can be an issue. I'd also be fine with buffs you don't have to persist, as long as they can last all/most of the day with extend and primarily affect allies.

I'd also like to focus on the spells instead of the particular cleric build. If it matters, suppose the rest of the party is a mix of squishy casters and heavy meleers.

tyckspoon
2012-01-17, 06:44 PM
The requirements to make things Persistent means pretty much all of the potential group effects are auras, unfortunately. I think you've got most of the high notes already, although there's probably a few more spells scattered around that don't normally get much attention.

For not-persisted, Mass Conviction is pretty handy; it's only a 3rd level slot and default duration is 10 min/level, so Extending it lets it cover any situation where you expect to be going into trouble. Grants a significant saving throw bonus and it's morale, so it'll stack with other common save boosters (on the downside, it's morale, so it stops working once you all start walking around with Mind Blanks on instead.)

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-17, 06:55 PM
I think Travel Domain gives you Haste.

Douglas
2012-01-17, 07:28 PM
Haste is not eligible for Persistent Spell due to its non-fixed (varies with caster level) range. Also, its best effect (the extra attack) doesn't stack with Righteous Wrath of the Faithful.

Elation from Book of Exalted Deeds is nice.
Interfaith Blessing from Complete Champion, kind of weak but if you don't have anything better to Persist...
Invisibility Purge could be good but also prevents your own party from using invisibility.
Heroes' Feast is an easy source of fear immunity and doesn't need Persist to last all day.

Piggy Knowles
2012-01-17, 07:31 PM
I think Travel Domain gives you Haste.

Sadly, no - Time and Celerity do, but not Travel. In any case, Haste doesn't have a fixed range, and hence is not a valid target for persisting. Swift Haste IS a valid target, but as it only effects you, it doesn't really help the OP out much...

Eisenfavl
2012-01-17, 07:34 PM
Ever heard of Ocular persist? Essentially it abuses the fact that persist requires a fixed range, and ocular makes it always a range 60ft ray.
But that doesn't effect the whole party!
So, we add in Chain Spell. Suddenly, you can hit all of the party and a fair number of minions as well with everycasting.

I am assuming you can spare the spell levels thanks to nightsticks, right? This basically means that you can persist divine might, your highest level vigour, possibly regeneration dependant on level, virtually any spell with a duration you want, on the whole party.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2012-01-17, 08:11 PM
First off, I had forgotten about Interfaith Blessing and Elation, and had neglected to mention Heroes' Feast. All are adequate. Invisibility Purge has the problem Douglas mentioned, but it's good for the right group.

I am aware of the Ocular-Chain-Persist trick. That said, Ocular can't be applied to Personal spells. Also, IIRC one can't use multiple Divine Feats at once, meaning this is only possibly viable for low level spells (ones you can prepare as Ocular Chained spells). It seems more like the Incantatrix's domain to me. That said, if I'm wrong about the viability, I can see how something like Divine Agility or Deathward might be useful for the whole party.

kardar233
2012-01-17, 08:14 PM
And if you absolutely, positively have to Persist every buff in the game...

Spellguard of Silverymoon+Ocular Spell.

Accept no substitutes.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2012-01-17, 08:21 PM
And if you absolutely, positively have to Persist every buff in the game...

Spellguard of Silverymoon+Ocular Spell.

Accept no substitutes.I believe you mean "if you absolutely, positively have to Persist every buff in the game on your entire party..." But I get your point. Very interesting ability. The arcane spellcasting requirement is annoying, but I think there's some feat out there...

Demon of Death
2012-01-17, 10:11 PM
If you can, look at Spelldancer from Magic of Faerūn, it allows you to buff in the morning with any amount of metamagic when you can change yourself to a construct temporarily to ignore the Fatigue and Con damage (or some other method of doing that), it's 1 level dip for it.

Rossebay
2012-01-17, 10:22 PM
Well, it's not partywide, but something to remember is Revenance.

Brings a creature back for 1 min/level (normally), get bonuses against whatever killed 'em.

Persist it, and you've got yourself free resurrections!

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-17, 10:36 PM
Ever heard of Ocular persist? Essentially it abuses the fact that persist requires a fixed range, and ocular makes it always a range 60ft ray.
But that doesn't effect the whole party!
So, we add in Chain Spell. Suddenly, you can hit all of the party and a fair number of minions as well with everycasting.

I am assuming you can spare the spell levels thanks to nightsticks, right? This basically means that you can persist divine might, your highest level vigour, possibly regeneration dependant on level, virtually any spell with a duration you want, on the whole party.

I've just gotta say, your avatar made your mention of Ocular Spell sooooo much better. :belkar:

Namfuak
2012-01-17, 10:37 PM
RAW, the War weaver prestige class (HoB) can use its tapestry to send any spell across multiple targets, not just arcane ones. If you aren't dead-set on being a cleric, you could try something like Wiz 5/Ur-priest 10/War Weaver 5. This way, if there are spells that can be persisted but only hit one target, you can use those instead of having to rely on aoe spells.

I don't know how your DM would react to an Ur-priest support character though. Maybe he could fiat you to be non-evil.

Crasical
2012-01-18, 02:23 AM
Brings a creature back for 1 min/level (normally), get bonuses against whatever killed 'em.

Persist it, and you've got yourself free resurrections!

... Does it fire once and then the person sticks around for 24 hours and then keels over, or does it turn you into some sort of Terminator esque creature that goes back to half hit points anytime anything knocks you down below zero during the spell's duration?

Rossebay
2012-01-18, 07:17 AM
... Does it fire once and then the person sticks around for 24 hours and then keels over, or does it turn you into some sort of Terminator esque creature that goes back to half hit points anytime anything knocks you down below zero during the spell's duration?

They keel over after 24 hours, but (by planning ahead) you can resurrect them again until you can get to a True Rez spell.

No level loss.