PDA

View Full Version : Best Divine Feats? (Not DMM, though)

Rossebay
2012-01-17, 07:17 PM
So, okay. I'm playing a "paladin", and I need some Divine feats to take.

There are a lot of them, I don't quite understand 'em all, but...

My character is level 6, BAB +5, CL 2, 1st level spells, max. I'm using Battle Blessing, so don't worry about Spellcasting.

Basically, anything that raises Strength or combat prowess in general would be great.

Kaeso
2012-01-17, 07:30 PM
By divine feats, do you mean feats that are powered by turn undead?
If so, travel devotion is awesome for melee characters. For two whole minutes (which is more than enough for all but the longest encounters) you get pounce, and you get an extra use of this power for every turn undead attempt you have. Since you get your first extra attack at level 6, this is quite good for you. I'm not sure how well it meshes with your mount though. Besides that, I'm also fond of animal devotion. It gives you flight for free as early as level 1 (for clerics) or 4 (for paladin), which means you get it even earlier than a wizard (albeit for only 2 minutes), and even if you don't need flight you can still use it for extra speed or strength (and +2 unnamed bonus to strength is always nice).

Elboxo
2012-01-17, 07:32 PM
So, okay. I'm playing a "paladin", and I need some Divine feats to take.

There are a lot of them, I don't quite understand 'em all, but...

My character is level 6, BAB +5, CL 2, 1st level spells, max. I'm using Battle Blessing, so don't worry about Spellcasting.

Basically, anything that raises Strength or combat prowess in general would be great.

1) What do you mean by "Paladin" ? Did you take a one-level dip into another class and lose BaB, what class is it?

2) Pathfinder Paladin or Dnd 3.5 Paladin?

3) What are your stats?

With high Charisma you could get into the Divine Shield/Divine feats in the Complete Warrior.

If you want to go for more melee focus, there's always the Power Attack chain, going into Cleave and Greatcleave, or Improved Sunder and then Combat Brute, Combat brute offers a lot of options in combat, like breaking a persons weapons and getting a free attack on then, or charging and power-attacking, and on the next round your power attack damage is multiplied by 3, instead of 2.

Rossebay
2012-01-17, 07:38 PM
1) What do you mean by "Paladin" ? Did you take a one-level dip into another class and lose BaB, what class is it?

2) Pathfinder Paladin or Dnd 3.5 Paladin?

3) What are your stats?

With high Charisma you could get into the Divine Shield/Divine feats in the Complete Warrior.

If you want to go for more melee focus, there's always the Power Attack chain, going into Cleave and Greatcleave, or Improved Sunder and then Combat Brute, Combat brute offers a lot of options in combat, like breaking a persons weapons and getting a free attack on then, or charging and power-attacking, and on the next round your power attack damage is multiplied by 3, instead of 2.

Uhh, it's a Generic Warrior2/Generic Expert 2/Spellcaster 1/Prestige Paladin 1

So, basically a slightly better caster of a Paladin.

Only difference is that I have the Whirling Frenzy rage variant through a feat (DM created) and the Frenzied Hunt Divine Feat (DM approval and such), so you can assume that my Base Attack is 6. My Charisma is 15, anyway.

In order, my scores are 14, 10, 16, 10, 16, 15.

So, Travel Devotion, what's that?

Kaeso
2012-01-17, 07:42 PM
So, Travel Devotion, what's that?

Travel devotion is a great feat from Complete Champion, and one that can make melee warriors with turn undead quite awesome. Whenever you use it, you get movement as a swift action for 2 minutes. This means that you can do the following things:
-Move 30 ft. and then use a full attack
-Move 60 ft. and then attack
-Move 90 ft. as a double move
Especially the first way to use it is quite awesome, since it means you don't have to choose between moving or a full attack. You can use it once per day for free, but for every turn undead use you sacrifice you get an extra use of this ability (so if you sacrifice 4 turn undead uses, you can use it 5 times/day). This means you can make turn undead relevant for every encounter you're in wether there are actual undead involved or not.

Rossebay
2012-01-17, 07:51 PM
Travel devotion is a great feat from Complete Champion, and one that can make melee warriors with turn undead quite awesome. Whenever you use it, you get movement as a swift action for 2 minutes. This means that you can do the following things:
-Move 30 ft. and then use a full attack
-Move 60 ft. and then attack
-Move 90 ft. as a double move
Especially the first way to use it is quite awesome, since it means you don't have to choose between moving or a full attack. You can use it once per day for free, but for every turn undead use you sacrifice you get an extra use of this ability (so if you sacrifice 4 turn undead uses, you can use it 5 times/day). This means you can make turn undead relevant for every encounter you're in wether there are actual undead involved or not.

Oooh.... Combine it with Animal Devotion for +4 strength, a fly speed, and I'm zipping around the battlefield every turn, flying, etc. 10 rounds per use.

Definitely liking where this is going.

Flickerdart
2012-01-17, 08:23 PM
Divine Shield blows, because it takes a standard action to activate. If you have the Charisma for it, Divine Might kicks your damage up a notch as long as you keep feeding it TUs. If you want to protect yourself, use Law Devotion instead.

Circle of Life
2012-01-17, 08:27 PM
Divine Spell Power qualifies as likely the best Divine feat behind DMM, but it's probably not terribly useful to you.

Law (or Chaos if you must; Law is better) Devotion and Travel Devotion are both solid choices for a physical combatant.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-17, 08:30 PM
Do note that you can't combine Travel Devotion with Battle Blessing. You have to either move as a swift or cast a swift, you don't get more than one swift per round (unless you're an RKV, which you're not)

Rossebay
2012-01-17, 08:43 PM
Do note that you can't combine Travel Devotion with Battle Blessing. You have to either move as a swift or cast a swift, you don't get more than one swift per round (unless you're an RKV, which you're not)

As such, I've penciled out Battle Blessing. Nowhere near as useful as Travel Devotion.

I have other feats I need. Like Mounted Combat, hahaha.

Flickerdart
2012-01-17, 08:46 PM
Battle Blessing gets a lot more impressive at higher levels, when Paladins get all of their juicy spells.

tyckspoon
2012-01-17, 09:00 PM
Battle Blessing gets a lot more impressive at higher levels, when Paladins get all of their juicy spells.

It also doesn't actually work with Prestige Paladin; the nature of that class as a "+1 previous class" casting advancement means you never have Paladin spells. You have Cleric or Ranger or Druid or, in this case, Generic Spellcaster spells. If your DM is being generous Battle Blessing might work with the unique Paladin spells that Prestige Paladin gives you access to.

Rossebay
2012-01-17, 09:04 PM
It also doesn't actually work with Prestige Paladin; the nature of that class as a "+1 previous class" casting advancement means you never have Paladin spells. You have Cleric or Ranger or Druid or, in this case, Generic Spellcaster spells. If your DM is being generous Battle Blessing might work with the unique Paladin spells that Prestige Paladin gives you access to.

Either way, it's an E6 campaign, so this is my build for now and forever.

But, thanks, guys! I think I have what I need.

Flickerdart
2012-01-17, 09:05 PM
And, sadly, it doesn't work with Sword of the Arcane Order, either. C'est la vie.