PDA

View Full Version : Flight Lance

Hanuman
2012-01-17, 09:06 PM
I'm fairly certain it's an obscure FR item, I have the raw data thanks to some private charts I have, but what is a "Flight Lance" listed as Lance, Flight

It's for all intents and purposes a regular lance but it has a 30' thrown range increment. I'd like to see the source text and a picture personally, otherwise it's just going to be the eva lance of longinus in my head.

HunterOfJello
2012-01-18, 02:52 AM
there's always the harpoon. Harpoons are pretty badass in d&d

Flickerdart
2012-01-18, 03:13 AM
The Ginormous Weapons List does not have any entries for "flight", and contains only one lance, which is the regular one, plus the Gehennan Lancet, which is a different thing.

jbr712
2012-01-18, 04:35 AM
I can't say I've ever heard of this weapon, I can however picture it. As opposed to a standard lance, which balloons slightly past the grip before coming to its point, I would think that a flight lance would be a little sleeker in design.

The weapon would have to be a little heavier at the head, to provide a balance conducive to more accurate throws. With a weighted tip, you can more easily attain a parabolic trajectory than with weight evenly distributed based on my limited experience with throwing random objects at friends and a physics course I took longer ago than I care to remember. So perhaps a good analog for the visual would be a javelin with a recessed hand grip (a grip which uses slightly a thinner diameter than the rest of the shaft) about 1/5-1/4 up from the base.

I could be completely off base with this, the physical description is mostly a shot in the dark and I haven't studied physics in about 4 years. I still stand behind the design mind you, but I hardly think it to be perfectly suited as a melee weapon. The weighted tip would make it likely to bend or break upon impact, making it a good throw away weapon at least.

Demonic_Spoon
2012-01-18, 06:04 AM
Races of Faerun page 156

supermonkeyjoe
2012-01-18, 06:50 AM
Sounds a bit like a typo of a light lance?