PDA

View Full Version : We're gonna settle Catan. Yeah... ALL of Catan.

Duos Greanleef
2012-01-18, 10:58 AM
So, a group of my good friends were talking the other day, and it came to our attention that between the 3 of us, we owned Settlers, Knights and Cities, Traders and Barbarians, and Seafarers as well as the 5-6 player extensions for each game.
Then we got a crazy idea:
WHAT IF WE PLAYED THEM ALL IN ONE GAME!?
We have a time and date set for this Bonanza including a huge block of time set for learning each ruleset and eating donuts. We have a planned pizza break at one point and are totally stoked for this whole thing.

My question aimed at The Playground is this:
Has anyone ever done this and if so what was your experience like?
Sub-questions include:
How long should we expect this to last?
Do the rules mesh together pretty well?
Will we still be friends after we're done?

Thanks in advance, Playground!

Xondoure
2012-01-18, 02:45 PM
Seafarers and Cities mesh almost seamlessly. Never tried adding traders though.

Squark
2012-01-18, 02:57 PM
Traders and Barbarians is more of a collection of mini-expansions than one expansion. You could try cramming the Great River, the Fishermen, and the other three expansions, but I think it would be a hassle.

iyaerP
2012-01-19, 12:22 AM
The real challange is doing all those AND adding settlers of america into th mix.

Deadmeat.GW
2012-01-19, 03:28 AM
I have done this but then without Traders and Barbarians, an extra 7 pots of different coloured paints... and 12 sets of each for a stonking 32 players and 3 referees game.

Total game time was roughly 104 hours, with breaks and 5 or so hours sleep a day at about 2am till 7am (when coffee emergency delivery arrives) when people were starting to fall face first on the board...

Absolutely fantastic extended weekend.

For a full on set with Traders and Barbarians, I would say about 10 to 15 hours played if you have many people that are willing to go to the wall.
It depends on how fast the people that will be playing are likely to give in.

Wookieetank
2012-02-06, 03:37 PM
I have done this but then without Traders and Barbarians, an extra 7 pots of different coloured paints... and 12 sets of each for a stonking 32 players and 3 referees game.

Total game time was roughly 104 hours, with breaks and 5 or so hours sleep a day at about 2am till 7am (when coffee emergency delivery arrives) when people were starting to fall face first on the board...

For a full on set with Traders and Barbarians, I would say about 10 to 15 hours played if you have many people that are willing to go to the wall.

Well played! I may have to look into doing something similar with my board gaming friends. Epic games of TI are grand and all, but every now and again I want an epic game of something that isn't going to cause my brain to implode after extended playing.

Volatar
2012-02-06, 04:12 PM

Holy moly. And I thought these guys (http://imgur.com/IETr0) were crazy.

Knaight
2012-02-06, 11:21 PM
Well played! I may have to look into doing something similar with my board gaming friends. Epic games of TI are grand and all, but every now and again I want an epic game of something that isn't going to cause my brain to implode after extended playing.

I find Risk games with about 30 boards work.

Wookieetank
2012-02-07, 09:06 AM
Holy moly. And I thought these guys (http://imgur.com/IETr0) were crazy.

That's nothing, you can still see the table. :smallwink: You shold play TI, if you're not using at least one side table just to hold pieces or the floor next to you for extra space, you've got a bigger table than I've ever seen. And thats with just the game and its expansions all on its own, no crazy multiple copies going on.:smalleek:

I find Risk games with about 30 boards work.

Sadly my luck ususally doesn't hold out for 1 board of risk (10:1 or more odds in my favor troop wise, crushing defeat most every time since dice hate me... :smallsigh:) , but I do enjoy hearing about your extreme gaming exploits :smallbiggrin:

Knaight
2012-02-07, 02:08 PM
Sadly my luck ususally doesn't hold out for 1 board of risk (10:1 or more odds in my favor troop wise, crushing defeat most every time since dice hate me... :smallsigh:) , but I do enjoy hearing about your extreme gaming exploits :smallbiggrin:
I only subbed in for a few turns when the normal players were missing. Granted, that did mean that I spent something like 12 hours on that game (mostly socializing), but given that it was played periodically throughout three months that isn't really that much.