PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Looking for advice on a Melee Alchemist build.

Magma22
2012-01-18, 11:22 AM
The gist of the Character is he's a Werewolf hunter with the mentality of if you can't beat them join them. He has developed his mutagen to emulate the effect of lycanthropy without the drawbacks. I intend on taking the Master Chymist PRC and roleplaying the loss of his humanity as the beastial side takes over.

We're playing with alot of first timers so the DM has us using base stats of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 and no traits. Anything from CRB, APG, UM, and UC are good to use. Starting wealth of 3500 gold.

Human Beastmorph, Vivisectionist, Alchemist 3

STR 17
DEX 12
CON 13
INT 14
WIS 10
CHA 8

Feats
1. Iron Will
H. Improved Unarmed Strike
3. Power Attack

Discoveries
2. Feral Mutagen

I'm looking for advice on what gear, both mundane and magical, would be good.
What feats / discoveries are a good choice, as well as whether Vivisectionist is worth crippling my ranged options for, due to the lack of bombs.
Also the idea behind IUS is that I'll most likely eventually be getting an Amulet of Mighty Fists but it might be better to take it later.

The only things that are set in stone is the Beastmorph Archetype, and I ideally don't want to multi class to keep things as thematic as possible.

Blyte
2012-01-18, 05:10 PM
bleh double post

Blyte
2012-01-18, 05:12 PM
perhaps
trait - narrow survivor (werewolf attack on the family) +1 init +1 sense motive
and reactionary for an additional +2 init, or something that gives sense motive as a class skill (assuming alchys don't already have it) since he will be investigating werewolf attacks, or survival for tracking them?

instead of ironwill, perhaps improved initiative to sieze the sneak attack advantage? also power attack is iffy, as a non-full bab class, maybe take dodge and mobility, to help you better manuever for flanking sneak attacks? missing really sucks, with a medium bab, you are gonna really want those flanks to help you hit and power attack with one handed attacks is meh anyhow.

dodge/mobility if you want to have some longevity in combat or perhaps two-weapon fighting for more offense?

far as gear goes, I think you should focus on getting a decent AC since you are a melee with light hp and not a lot of dex.

Bhaakon
2012-01-18, 06:10 PM
First, I'd check with the DM to make sure Master Chymist will advance your sneak attack. It's a wholly reasonable house rule, but it doesn't do so as the class is written.

Menteith
2012-01-18, 06:44 PM
Starting wealth of 3500 gold.

Human Beastmorph, Vivisectionist, Alchemist 3

STR 17
DEX 12
CON 13
INT 14
WIS 10
CHA 8

Feats
1. Iron Will
H. Improved Unarmed Strike
3. Power Attack

Discoveries
2. Feral Mutagen

I'm looking for advice on what gear, both mundane and magical, would be good.
What feats / discoveries are a good choice, as well as whether Vivisectionist is worth crippling my ranged options for, due to the lack of bombs.
Also the idea behind IUS is that I'll most likely eventually be getting an Amulet of Mighty Fists but it might be better to take it later.

The only things that are set in stone is the Beastmorph Archetype, and I ideally don't want to multi class to keep things as thematic as possible.

Infusion might be a useful Discovery, although the limited Extract progression of Master Chymist is a bit lame. You have enough Int to cast everything on your list with ease, and it dramatically will expand your out of combat utility - since it only takes a minute of preparation to make any given Extract, you can run with 0 prepared slots and spontaneously cast anything off your list out of combat. You have a ton of utility spells, even at low levels (Comprehend Languages, CLW, Disguise Self that benefits the entire party, Enlarge Person, and other assorted goodies). It also fundamentally breaks the game later on, with stuff like Magic Jar and Twin Form. Oh god Twin Form. Also lets your abuse Alchemical Allotment to effectively add every single potion to your extract list as a 2nd level slot, letting you have +5 Barkskin party wide as soon as you have 2nd levels.

Tumor Familiar, taking a Compsognathus, nets you +4 Initiative in addition to having a Dinosaur living in your skin. You unfortunately can't have a Small familiar living inside you, so no flank buddy jumping out of your chest midfight. It does qualify you for Improved Familiar, which can be really strong. Having a Familiar who UMDs wands and lives inside of you effectively giving you an additional UMD or Spell-Like every turn, which is all kinds of awesome.

Depending on how long you're going to be playing, Wings is a good choice. If you're going to eventually unlock Overland Flight and have a Broom of Flying, then sure, it's bad, but it a nonmagic way for you to grab Flight while in combat.

I'm not familiar enough with melee Alchemists to offer more than general advice, but I'd strongly look at picking up some higher level Potions to abuse with Alchemical Allotment, even if you don't have Infusion. A potion of Greater Magic Fang +5 is only 3000g, lasts 20 hours, and will never go away. While that's currently out of your reach, Barkskin +5 (1200g) lasts 120 minutes, Shield of Faith +5 (900g) lasts 18 minutes, and Heroism (750g) made by an Alchemist lasts 70 minutes.