PDA

View Full Version : Druids taking Rapidstrike?

DegenPaladin
2012-01-18, 04:29 PM
Druids Wildshape works as polymorph and that spell changes the subjects type to its new form. My question is, is this enough to allow a wildshaping character to take the feat Rapidstrike and subsequently the improved version?

Thanks in advance.

Keld Denar
2012-01-18, 04:38 PM
Wildshape doesn't work like Polymorph anymore. It works like Alternate Form.

At 5th level, a druid gains the ability to turn herself into any Small or Medium animal and back again once per day. Her options for new forms include all creatures with the animal type. This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here. The effect lasts for 1 hour per druid level, or until she changes back. Changing form (to animal or back) is a standard action and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. Each time you use wild shape, you regain lost hit points as if you had rested for a night.

Alternate Form says:

•The creature retains the type and subtype of its original form. It gains the size of its new form. If the new form has the aquatic subtype, the creature gains that subtype as well.

So...no dice. You'd have to have a base race that qualifies. Dragonwraught Kobold, Synad, and Elan are about the only +0 LA races that qualify.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-01-18, 04:54 PM
Daelkyr Halblood also qualifies.

NOhara24
2012-01-18, 05:03 PM
Minor question, would a Druid that wildshaped into a fire elemental be vulnerable to a "Banishment" spell?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-01-18, 05:06 PM
No unless they naturally have the extraplanar subtype.

Greenish
2012-01-18, 05:06 PM
Minor question, would a Druid that wildshaped into a fire elemental be vulnerable to a "Banishment" spell?Yes, if that druid was in a plane he or she is not native to. No, if in a plane she or he is native to. The wildshape form won't matter, either way.

kardar233
2012-01-18, 07:06 PM
Nope, Dragon type gives access to things that require Dragonblooded, but not vice versa.

Snowbluff
2012-01-18, 07:14 PM
Nope, Dragon type gives access to things that require Dragonblooded, but not vice versa.

Went through it again, I'll have the comment redacted.

kardar233
2012-01-18, 07:55 PM
Went through it again, I'll have the comment redacted.

Shame, though. My ClawBardLock build effectively loses two feats due to having to go Dragonwrought Kobold (the only LA+0 race that has Rapidstrike and DFI) instead of Silverbrow.

Darrin
2012-01-19, 08:35 AM
Shame, though. My ClawBardLock build effectively loses two feats due to having to go Dragonwrought Kobold (the only LA+0 race that has Rapidstrike and DFI) instead of Silverbrow.

Note: you can add Dragonwrought to a Kobold *after* first level via Dragonborn of Bahumat by swapping one of your existing feats for it. So take the Eberron ACF to swap Inspire Competence at Bard 3 for some other bardic feat, then swap that feat for Dragonwrought. (Unfortunately, Song of the Heart requires Inspire Competence.)

Edit: Nevermind. As Curmudgeon points out, this doesn't work (see next post).

Curmudgeon
2012-01-19, 10:32 AM
Note: you can add Dragonwrought to a Kobold *after* first level via Dragonborn of Bahumat by swapping one of your existing feats for it.
How do you get that?
Prerequisites: Kobold, 1st level only.
Special: Unlike most feats, this feat must be taken at 1st level, during character creation.
From THE MECHANICS OF REBIRTH:

Special: Ordinarily, only a 1st-level character can select certain feats requiring the dragonblood subtype (see Chapter 6). However, upon becoming a dragonborn, you can elect to replace one (and only one) of your existing feats with one of these feats. A requirement for Kobold is not a requirement specific to the dragonblood subtype. While Kobolds normally include that subtype, the requirement is still met even if the Kobold has an inherited template which changes their subtype.

An analogy:

Must be a taxicab.
Must be a yellow car.
#1 is satisified for any color taxi. #2 only works with actual yellow coloring. While there's usually some overlap, these are distinct requirements which cannot be interchanged.

Darrin
2012-01-19, 11:49 AM
Aha! Good catch.

For some reason I thought Dragonwrought had "dragonblood subtype" in the requirements. Only Dragon Wings and Dragon Tail qualifies for the swap, then.