PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Giving Monks regeneration?

Rossebay
2012-01-18, 04:49 PM
So, how would things change if we gave the monk Regeneration at an equal rate with the Barbarian's Damage Reduction?

Say, bypassed by Evil or Chaos or something. Or one of the normal things, whatever.

Either way, how would that change the Monk?

Rubik
2012-01-18, 04:53 PM
So, how would things change if we gave the monk Regeneration at an equal rate with the Barbarian's Damage Reduction?

Say, bypassed by Evil or Chaos or something. Or one of the normal things, whatever.

Either way, how would that change the Monk?It'd make them harder to kill, which is good.

It wouldn't do a thing about their versatility or ability to actually do anything effectively, which is bad.

I'd say they'd stay the same tier.

Greenish
2012-01-18, 04:54 PM
Instead of dead, they'd be unconscious.

Keld Denar
2012-01-18, 04:54 PM
Regeneration is kinda wonky in 3.5, given how it converts damage. A better fit would probably be fast healing.

Still doesn't make them any good. Monks tend not to have huge survivability problems, assuming they don't leave themselves in full attack range of anything big and mean. Adding more survivability doesn't really fix much.

TheGeckoKing
2012-01-18, 04:55 PM
It would mean that the rest of the party would have to buy another carry sack so as to carry the Monk's pulped body around easier, while the monk slowly kung-fu'd themselves into conciousness. Not really cost effective.

Rossebay
2012-01-18, 04:56 PM
It'd make them harder to kill, which is good.

It wouldn't do a thing about their versatility or ability to actually do anything effectively, which is bad.

I'd say they'd stay the same tier.

Yeah... Alright. I can agree with this. They need Pounce, I guess. Chaos Monk/Pounce Barb, away!

nyarlathotep
2012-01-18, 05:40 PM
Yeah... Alright. I can agree with this. They need Pounce, I guess. Chaos Monk/Pounce Barb, away!

Or just give them spells like Quiggong monk does.

Bhaakon
2012-01-18, 05:46 PM
I'd rather give them damage reduction, just call it "roll with the punches" or something, and fluff it as being able to reflexively contort their body to turn mortal strikes into mere flesh wounds (and flesh wounds into scratches). Maybe I'm alone, but regeneration doesn't really jive with my picture of the class (in-game construct or not).

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-01-18, 06:03 PM
Possible fix:
-Full BaB
-Flurry as a standard attack, 1/turn (this way you could use it on spring attack)

Rossebay
2012-01-18, 06:07 PM
Or just give them spells like Quiggong monk does.

Quiggong Whatsit?

Possible fix:
-Full BaB
-Flurry as a standard attack, 1/turn (this way you could use it on spring attack)

Flurry as a Standard Action... Huh. It's a better fix (as is their special option to be able to 10 foot step with that one magic item...)

Opens up some multiclass abuse, doesn't it? But it's a good idea.

Golden Ladybug
2012-01-18, 06:09 PM
It would mean that the rest of the party would have to buy another carry sack so as to carry the Monk's pulped body around easier, while the monk slowly kung-fu'd themselves into conciousness.

May I sig this, because I think it is amazing?

On the topic of Regenerating Monks, I'll support it. It might not make them objectively better, but if the aim of the Dev Team's (which I can only guess at) was to make a character with really "good" defences and lots of conflicting abilities, and then calling that the Monk, then throwing Regeneration into the mix can't hurt.

TheGeckoKing
2012-01-18, 06:21 PM
May I sig this, because I think it is amazing?

Please, go right ahead.

On topic and a bit more seriously, Regeneration would prolong the problem of the Monk being a survivor of sorts, but a fighter of none. What the class needs is better flurrying, a Full BaB, and something else to compliment their class abilities. I also find it confusing that THE RANGER (A Hippie-Fighter Skillmonkey-esque class) got casting over the Monk, who is both Wis based like a lot of divine classes, and is focused around being all enlightened and stuff, like a lot of divine classes.

Rossebay
2012-01-18, 06:45 PM
Please, go right ahead.

On topic and a bit more seriously, Regeneration would prolong the problem of the Monk being a survivor of sorts, but a fighter of none. What the class needs is better flurrying, a Full BaB, and something else to compliment their class abilities. I also find it confusing that THE RANGER (A Hippie-Fighter Skillmonkey-esque class) got casting over the Monk, who is both Wis based like a lot of divine classes, and is focused around being all enlightened and stuff, like a lot of divine classes.

Yeah, I agree.

I heard mention of a type of monk that came with spellcasting. Any idea what he was talking about? (Aside from Sacred Fist, anyway.)

Snowbluff
2012-01-18, 06:51 PM
Quiggong Whatsit?

Flurry as a Standard Action... Huh. It's a better fix (as is their special option to be able to 10 foot step with that one magic item...)

Opens up some multiclass abuse, doesn't it? But it's a good idea.

No, not really. Flurry of blows is based on your Monk level and only works with certain weapons. I think it balances out.:smallsmile:

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-18, 06:56 PM
No, not really. Flurry of blows is based on your Monk level and only works with certain weapons. I think it balances out.:smallsmile:

Er, no, flurry is based on your BAB. The reduction of penalties from staying in monk doesn't mean it's based on monk level, especially since it would be much more optimal to switch out to a full BAB class as soon as possible.

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-01-18, 06:59 PM
He probably meant that if you want the second extra attack (as a standard action) you have to get at least 11 levels of Monk.

Rossebay
2012-01-18, 07:00 PM
He probably meant that if you want the second extra attack (as a standard action) you have to get at least 11 levels of Monk.

Ahh.
Still, give it full BAB, and you just grab two levels of monk for feats and flurry, and then jump on out.

Beowulf DW
2012-01-18, 07:01 PM
Er, no, flurry is based on your BAB. The reduction of penalties from staying in monk doesn't mean it's based on monk level, especially since it would be much more optimal to switch out to a full BAB class as soon as possible.

I think he may be talking about Pathfinder Monks, which are much better than 3.5 monks.

Qinggong monks are also from Pathfinder.

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-01-18, 07:06 PM
I think he may be talking about Pathfinder Monks, which are much better than 3.5 monks.
Except they lose the ability to get cheese from two-weapon fighting and natural weapons, which happen to be my favorite ways to roll a monk in 3.5 :/

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-18, 07:10 PM
Except they lose the ability to get cheese from two-weapon fighting and natural weapons, which happen to be my favorite ways to roll a monk in 3.5 :/

Two-weapon fighting and an extra damage size (which basically is +1-1/2 or +2 to damage) is cheese? Pathfinder monks are better than 3.5 monks even without those.

nyarlathotep
2012-01-18, 07:58 PM
Here is the spellcasting monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/qinggong-monk) it is pathfinder however so it refers to the changes made to the monk class in pathfinder.