PDA

View Full Version : And my SNES kicks the bucket

Fiery Diamond
2012-01-18, 08:07 PM
I couldn't decide whether to put this here or in Friendly Banter. I know it's more likely to get more traffic in Friendly Banter, but it does have to do with games. So...

I went to try to plug in my SNES and play Super Mario World, which I have not done in years. After some confusion with the cords, it was determined that even when correctly plugged in, the system was not providing audio or visual. In other words, my SNES is now dead.

This is very sad, and also somewhat expensive to deal with. The method of coping which I have chosen is purchasing the GBA remakes of the games I can no longer play: Donkey Kong Country (and 2, and 3) and Super Mario World. And there's a Wii port of Super Mario All Stars, I notice, which I may also want to get. (The only other SNES games I have are the SNES Mario Kart and the dumb Lion King game.)

However, this is kind of expensive to do, so clearly I want to make sure I get the best deals I can while buying used. The little blurb descriptions on Amazon, the prices listed, and analyzing by how many sales the seller has made and their rating are what I have to go on. It's a rather irksome process. Is it worth an extra 10-15 dollars for the case and manual, for example? For Super Mario World it might be (I don't have the SNES manual for it and there were some changes made to it anyway), but for the DKC series I haven't decided yet. Also, if it comes with manual and box, it tends to have been better taken care of, so there's that too. And then there's the sellers that give generic descriptions rather than specific for that product, which means I can't trust their description as much.

Argh, so frustrating. WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE, SNES? WHY?!

*takes deep breaths*

Starwulf
2012-01-18, 08:23 PM
I couldn't decide whether to put this here or in Friendly Banter. I know it's more likely to get more traffic in Friendly Banter, but it does have to do with games. So...

I went to try to plug in my SNES and play Super Mario World, which I have not done in years. After some confusion with the cords, it was determined that even when correctly plugged in, the system was not providing audio or visual. In other words, my SNES is now dead.

This is very sad, and also somewhat expensive to deal with. The method of coping which I have chosen is purchasing the GBA remakes of the games I can no longer play: Donkey Kong Country (and 2, and 3) and Super Mario World. And there's a Wii port of Super Mario All Stars, I notice, which I may also want to get. (The only other SNES games I have are the SNES Mario Kart and the dumb Lion King game.)

However, this is kind of expensive to do, so clearly I want to make sure I get the best deals I can while buying used. The little blurb descriptions on Amazon, the prices listed, and analyzing by how many sales the seller has made and their rating are what I have to go on. It's a rather irksome process. Is it worth an extra 10-15 dollars for the case and manual, for example? For Super Mario World it might be (I don't have the SNES manual for it and there were some changes made to it anyway), but for the DKC series I haven't decided yet. Also, if it comes with manual and box, it tends to have been better taken care of, so there's that too. And then there's the sellers that give generic descriptions rather than specific for that product, which means I can't trust their description as much.

Argh, so frustrating. WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE, SNES? WHY?!

*takes deep breaths*

Depends really. Do you care if you have the manual? The controls for any of the games you've listed are pretty easy to figure out, even the most complex of maneuvers are pretty easy to grasp. What it boils down to, are you a completionist, and/or do you ever plan on re-selling the games? I tend to collect older games with everything still intact, but that's only because I like having everything, plus SOMEDAY, when I'm older, or if there is ever a major emergency in my life and I need cash badly, I know I'll have those games to sell(My current OLDER video game collection is worth about $2500, with most expensive game being complete Earthbound for SNES, including original scratch-n-sniff insert in the back of the book). Games without tend to depreciate a good deal more then those with, not to mention sometimes those WITH will appreciate in value.

On another note, are you sure it's not just the cords that have gone bad? always a possibility that they all went kerplunk. It might be cheaper to buy new cords before you go on a spending spree on those games for a different platform. I know that happened to me with a controller or two, had me convinced my SNES was done for, and then on the off-chance I bought a new controller, and voila, worked just fine. New cords probably run ya about 10 bucks, a worthy investment that might save you a lot of cash. Also, from the sounds of it, you say no audio/visual, but does the light come on on the SNES? If so, it's almost definitely the cords, since if the lights on, that means the system itself is functioning.

boj0
2012-01-18, 08:27 PM
{{scrubbed}}

Barring that, the old SNES library was pretty good, nostalgia or not: ordering one off eBay or Amazon wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Fiery Diamond
2012-01-18, 08:33 PM
Depends really. Do you care if you have the manual? The controls for any of the games you've listed are pretty easy to figure out, even the most complex of maneuvers are pretty easy to grasp. What it boils down to, are you a completionist, and/or do you ever plan on re-selling the games? I tend to collect older games with everything still intact, but that's only because I like having everything, plus SOMEDAY, when I'm older, or if there is ever a major emergency in my life and I need cash badly, I know I'll have those games to sell(My current OLDER video game collection is worth about $2500, with most expensive game being complete Earthbound for SNES, including original scratch-n-sniff insert in the back of the book). Games without tend to depreciate a good deal more then those with, not to mention sometimes those WITH will appreciate in value.

On another note, are you sure it's not just the cords that have gone bad? always a possibility that they all went kerplunk. It might be cheaper to buy new cords before you go on a spending spree on those games for a different platform. I know that happened to me with a controller or two, had me convinced my SNES was done for, and then on the off-chance I bought a new controller, and voila, worked just fine. New cords probably run ya about 10 bucks, a worthy investment that might save you a lot of cash. Also, from the sounds of it, you say no audio/visual, but does the light come on on the SNES? If so, it's almost definitely the cords, since if the lights on, that means the system itself is functioning.

Well... the light comes on, which means the system is turning on. But. Neither method of attaching it to the TV works; that is, the direct-to-TV antenna-cord thing (which is the connector that came with the system) produced a black screen with no sound when I turned the system on. So that might have been the cord...except for the fact that when trying to use AV plugs to plug it in the other way it produced the same result, but THAT cord belongs to my Gamecube, and I'm reasonably certain that that cord still works.

Also, when my original N64 got murdered years ago by a cheat pack thing, the end result was the same: black screen, no sound, but it turned on. (I have a different N64 now, that happened back when N64 was the most recent console.)

And I should probably get the Super Mario World remake even if by some miracle the SNES suddenly starts working. The catridge looks like it started corroding, so I'm not sure that it will work anyway. (I bought that game used ages ago.) And yes, I used cartridges that look fine when testing the SNES.

ryzouken
2012-01-18, 09:30 PM
Refurb SNES version 2's are available for as little as $40. Might be worth looking into. Google SNES Consoles and click the shopping tab.

Lord Seth
2012-01-18, 09:48 PM
{{scrubbed}}
This is very sad, and also somewhat expensive to deal with. The method of coping which I have chosen is purchasing the GBA remakes of the games I can no longer play: Donkey Kong Country (and 2, and 3) and Super Mario World. And there's a Wii port of Super Mario All Stars, I notice, which I may also want to get. (The only other SNES games I have are the SNES Mario Kart and the dumb Lion King game.)If you already have the Wii (as indicated by your mention of a Wii port), why not just buy the Virtual Console versions of the games?

Gnoman
2012-01-18, 11:33 PM
For the cost of two or three reissues, you can replace the system. No version of the SNES is rare everywhere. Even if, somehow, you live in an area where there are none to be found, the clones are around 50 bucks. There's no reason to try to rebuild your game library and have to cope with the minor inconveniences (sound can be off, the controls never feel quite right, etc.) when it's no more expensive just to get a replacement.

Triaxx
2012-01-19, 08:25 AM
You could try out this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/b76e/

Runs SNES and NES games. All for 50 bucks.

Starwulf
2012-01-19, 04:31 PM
You could try out this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/b76e/

Runs SNES and NES games. All for 50 bucks.

Hmm, I'd just re-buy an original SNES. I've heard way to many bad things about the dual-consoles/clone consoles, biggest complaint being that it's a struggle to get the games in, and some games just won't go in at all, and some of the ones you do get in, come back out damaged. Just not worth the hassle if you ask me, I know I wouldn't trust any of my games to a clone or dual system.

boj0
2012-01-19, 06:16 PM
No. Owning a hard copy of the game does not mean downloading a copy online is legal. It isn't. One can perhaps say there's no moral issue with it because you already bought the game, but legally, you still can't.

The sarcasm, you have missed it. :smalltongue: