PDA

View Full Version : Warforged in Hackmaster (Among other races)

Anxe
2012-01-18, 11:38 PM
Hey folks!

My group and I have been playing 3.5 for a long time and we have become a little bored with. We wanted a fresh slate to play 4E or Hackmaster Basic in, so we've been playing Dawn of Worlds through emails. The races we've created so far are minotaurs, warforged, sahuagin, and a spider race that can use illusions to mimic the disguise spell (We'll create the standard races once we get past the first Age). All of these races have equivalents in 4E or races that are close enough that it doesn't matter. However, there aren't obvious equivalencies present in Hackmaster. I'm hoping the wonderful people of OOTS can help us stat out those races to make them roughly equal in power to the already introduced player races in Hackmaster.

Minotaur
The obvious stat bonuses are Str and Wis (Wis from how they've been acting in the Dawn of Worlds game). The obvious minus is Looks as they are ugly to humans. I feel like they still need another stat penalty. Dex and Cha probably fit the bill best. I'd also like to include a gore attack. I'm also not sure what skills they should get free rolls in if any. I'm also not sure what the specific bonuses should be for each of these abilities and what would be balanced. Here's what we have so far:
+2 Str
+2 Wis
-4 Lks
-2 Dex
Size Large for Knockbacks
Size Medium for HPs
Gore attack: Speed 8, 1d4p+1d6p piercing damage that is doubled on a charge. Reach 1 foot.
Free rolls in Animal Empathy, Animal Mimicry, Divine Lore, Intimidation, Survival, and Tracking.
Warforged
Basically intelligent robot golems made from wood, metal, and stone if you didn't already know. For stat bonuses I'm thinking Str and Con. for penalties I'm thinking Int and Dex. I think they should get some free DR because their bodies are harder than flesh. I also think healing for them should be difficult for the same reason. I'm unsure how to handle them for how many HPs they get (For example, comparing the Clay Golem to a similar sized creature, the Gnole, says that golems get about twice as many HPs as fleshy creatures). They're a militant but also artistic race, so that should dictate their skills. Here's what we've got so far:
+2 Str
+2 Con
-2 Int
-2 Dex
Size Medium for Knockbacks (Lightweight construction)
Size Large for HPs (15 or 20 HPs?), but healing from wounds takes twice as long. Healing from wounds uses the Carpentry/Woodworking skill instead of First Aid.
DR of 2 from their body construction (It would be higher if someone literally used warforged skin as armor, but the skin is also the warforged's body, so when the skin gets damaged the warforged gets damaged).
Free rolls in Appraisal and Tactics.
Two free rolls in one of the following to represent the warforged's artistic focus: Blacksmithing/Metalworking, Carpentry/Woodworking, Cartography, Leatherworking, Literacy, Mathematics, Pottery, Riddling,
Sahuagin
Stat bonus should definitely be Dex. Minuses should be Looks, Cha, and Wis. That leaves another hole for bonuses. Maybe Int or Str? They're supposed to be a player race so they should obviously be able to breath air just as well as water. I think they should be able to move as fast as humans on land. A swim speed equal to their run speed seems appropriate to me. Sahuagin also get better at attacking when they or their opponents are bleeding. There needs to be something included about that. Finally, skills, which should be mostly aqua related. Here's what we got:
+4 Dex
+2 Int
-4 Looks
-2 Cha
-2 Wis
Size Medium for Knockbacks
Size Medium for HPs
Able to breath water and air.
Able to walk as fast as a human and swim as fast as their run speed.
Blood Frenzy ability. Sahuagin get a +1 to Attack, Damage, and Speed when they or their opponent's have a hacking or piercing wound of 5 HPs or more. They also receive a -1 to defense. This ability only activates if the opponent is actually bleeding (ie, not an undead or golem).
Free rolls on Saltwater Fishing and Boating.
Three free rolls on Swimming.
Spider People
Definite minus to Looks and Str. Bonuses to Dex, Int, and Cha. Accounting for the spider body is easy. Give them a climb speed and count them as large for knockbacks due to the extra stability. Able to spin thread as well, but I don't need super specific rules on that one. The complicated factor is the disguise ability. Should it be perfect, where they just get to use the disguise spell whenever they want, or should it be a big bonus on the disguise skill and the ability to use it without makeup or props? I'm leaning towards the second option as more fair. Finally, skills should definitely be oriented towards tricking people.
+2 Dex
+2 Int
+2 Cha
-3 Str
-3 Looks
Size Large for Knockbacks
Size Medium for HPs
Able to walk on walls and ceilings at walk speed.
Speed is as fast as a dwarf.
Able to spin thread to make rope.
Free rolls on Acting, Distraction, and Fast Talking.
Three free rolls on Disguise. No materials are ever needed for the Disguise ability. The Disguise skill is under the same constraints as the disguise spell, not the disguise skill.
Final thing I need to add for them is the BP cost for classes. I have access to 8 classes through the rulebook and my KODTs, Fighter, Thief, Mage, Cleric, Fighter/Thief, Mage/Thief, Rogue, and Ranger. I've assigned pretty arbitrary numbers for this.
{table=head]Race|Fighter|Thief|Mage|Cleric|Fighter/Thief|Mage/Thief|Rogue|Ranger

Minotaur|
20|
40|
70|
25|
30|
70|
75|

Warforged|
20|
75|
50|
35|
65|
75|
75|

Sahuagin|
25|
25|
35|
50|
20|
35|
35|

Spider People|
50|
20|
25|
50|
35|
25|
20|

[/table]

TL;DR I want to stat up warforged, minotaur, sahuagin, and a shapeshifting spider race for Hackmaster as player races.